• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You suddenly become tasked with being the director of Smash 5 coming out in Feb 2016...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Phantom hits aren't glitches. They occur when the hitbox of a move and the hurtboxes of a character touch, but don't overlap. It results in half the damage and no knockback. It's an intentional mechanic.
Still a bad choice of game design though.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Still a bad choice of game design though.
Tripping is a bad choice of game design.

A phantom hit isn't really a part of game design, since it's not like super armor; it's just a result of how Melee handles damage calculations causing the effect of damaging them, but not actually making them flinch.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Tripping is a bad choice of game design.

A phantom hit isn't really a part of game design, since it's not like super armor; it's just a result of how Melee handles damage calculations causing the effect of damaging them, but not actually making them flinch.
so you're saying phantom hits were unintentional?

now I'm just getting conflicted replies.

either way phantom hits shouldn't be there, you either hit a move or you whiff.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
so you're saying phantom hits were unintentional?
No, I'm saying phantom hits are not part of game design. You can't call something bad game design if it's not part of the design phase; they're intentional, but not part of game design.

Again, phantom hits exist because of the way Melee handles damage calculations causing the effect of taking damage without flinching when you hit the edge of a hurtbox with a hitbox, but do not actually enter the hurtbox. The game thinks it's a hit, but because it's on that boundary, it just cuts the values a bit. Phantom hits are failsafe measures to use in case the situation occurs. Intentional, but not an explicit mechanic of the game.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
No, I'm saying phantom hits are not part of game design. You can't call something bad game design if it's not part of the design phase; they're intentional, but not part of game design.

Again, phantom hits exist because of the way Melee handles damage calculations causing the effect of taking damage without flinching when you hit the edge of a hurtbox with a hitbox, but do not actually enter the hurtbox. The game thinks it's a hit, but because it's on that boundary, it just cuts the values a bit. Phantom hits are failsafe measures to use in case the situation occurs. Intentional, but not an explicit mechanic of the game.
I'm sorry if I'm not understanding this correctly, but wouldn't this still fall under game design? As you said, it's a way Melee handles damage, meaning it was designed to handle it that way.

More hitstun, less general lag, more general speed, faster general falling and jumping.
Have L-Cancelling, but with the option to turn it off. Same with Melee's air dodge system.
Have a hazards-off button. Have Fountain of Dreams, Termina, and other removed stages return.
Have a near limitless tourney mode, allowing our current tournament structure in.
Have an overall better combo counter in Training. Make it take notice of jab locks and kill confirms.
I'm assuming you mean landing lag when you say "less general lag." If that's the case, L-Cancel really wouldn't be needed (not that it was needed before) as simply cutting the lag in half would lead to the same effect.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm sorry if I'm not understanding this correctly, but wouldn't this still fall under game design? As you said, it's a way Melee handles damage, meaning it was designed to handle it that way.
Phantom hits, at least from my investigation (read: experimenting with them), appear to just be failsafe measures so that the game knows how to handle that situation without bugging out.

As an example, let's use Rest. If the active frames of Rest hits the edge of your hurtbox, you'll still get hit even if you weren't right beside Jigglypuff; hence the "phantom" part; the code is designed so that if you hit the hurtbox's edge it still counts as landing Rest. This is purely to make it easier for the game to determine how and what is a sucessful attack in instances where attacks hit the edges of hurtboxes, but not the full thing; it's a way to speed up the game's calculations and allow for more rapid transmission of data. This way more data calculating can be done in a shorter amount of time, letting the game flow faster. It's basically a shortcut calculation.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I would try fixing up the areas where the characters audio was synchronized incorrectly. Half the time Yoshi's mouth moves, but there's no sound. Audio not being synchronized correctly has been a lingering problem in the past for Smash. Sure, its not that big of a problem but its kinda awkward to see your characters mouth moving, but no audio coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom