• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YOU MUST RECOVER!- Podcast Discussion

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Hey, for those of you who haven't read my Meet and Greet Thread, I'm FrogButler. I joined about 2 weeks ago though I've been a lurker here since SMYN and even back when SmashCast started.

Well, I'm just going to get to the point.

I've even been debating creating my own podcast for Smash World Forums surrounding professional players of the Smash games and interviewing them as well as conversing with them as guest hosts. I have about 3 professionals (who at this time wish to remain anonymous) who would be interested and of course we'd pick up on tournament results, recent bans and rules, and the competitive playing of Brawl. (The first ep. would probably be late in February after Brawl's release) It would also probably talk about what new techniques have been discovered , how they are used and going over what many people have missed.

Also, I've been thinking about introducing up and coming competitive players to the Brawl scene via this podcast.

Really, the point of this would be to introduce more and more people to the competitive side of the game, especially after Brawl is released, a side that a lot of people have been missing out on.

Also, I'm looking for a permanent guest host. Preferably a lover of Brawl who is from the Chicagoland area. Minimum age would be a senior in High School. Broadcasting and podcasting experience would be nice but not a requirement. PM me if interested!

So yeah, I'd love to hear feedback on if you guys think this would be a good idea!
-FrogButler

YOU MUST RECOVER

YMR Episode 1:-The Trial:
STREAM: http://www.esnips.com/doc/3bb26f9b-cec5-4088-b676-63a8fc1b8d3a/You-Must-Recover!-Trial-Episode

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
^Not to this extent or at least the extent I'm planning on taking it.

The goal is to make it as big as SMYN and to make it a sort of sister podcast.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
ForgButler, how long have you been a part of the competitive smash community? How many tournaments have you been to? I can understand if you are really excited about competitive play, but you are really new to the scene. Unless you had somebody really established working with you then your podcast would simply not be very credible.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Also, I'm looking for a permanent guest host. Preferably a lover of Brawl who is from the Chicagoland area. Minimum age would be a senior in High School. Broadcasting and podcasting experience would be nice but not a requirement. PM me if interested!
Hmm, I fit that description perfectly, lol. I don't think I could do it though, especially without a working mic. However, this sounds like what SMYN has planned for season 3.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Glad you asked MookieRah ;)

I've been part of the competitive Smash community for about 3 1/2 years under the name NintendoTheatre.

I've been to more tournaments than I can count and have won numerous local tournaments. I've also competed in some of the major tournaments within Chicago.

I'm pretty much a competitive encyclopedia and have done LOTS of research on all of the major techniques as well as some niche ones.

As for working with an extremely established Smasher, that's one of the big qualities I'm looking for in a guest host.

And for people who are thinking this sounds like what SMYN has planned for season 3, I'm going to try and make it as different as possible. Not to mention, this WILL be weekly.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
I hate to double post but this is something is really feel I should discuss.

I have been numerous PMs asking me to go into a little more detail about what this podcast will be all about. Well, here's the basic concept. First off, it is 100% nothing like SMYN Season 3 nor does it rival it, or try to in any way. It is a seperate entity.

Basically, my major goal is to create a podcast centered specifically on the competitive enviornment of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and to try and make what is normally an intimidating topic to most Smashers a casual and enjoyable experience.

As for possible segments, here are some I have been throwing around:

-How's Brawlin'?: Basically the way the show opens each week. It starts out with me, the permanent 2nd host and the guest host(s) of the week talking about what we've done with the game this week. Create any interesting stages? Discover a new technique? Unlock a new character or started playing as a new character? All of that and more would be covered in the somewhat laid-back "How's Brawlin'" segment.

-Interview Segment:
This is where the guest host(s), who, by the way, will always either be a cemented professional player, a well-known competitive player, or an up and coming Brawl star, really begin to talk about themselves. We ask questions about their tournament backgrounds, where they are from, what play style they like to use and what characters they main. Things like that. Listeners also have the opportunity to submit questions for the guest host.

-Forum Decorum: A relay of the most recent tournament results, recent bans and rules, champions and also, when they are announced, a discussion of a tier list. New techniques that have been discovered and talked about on the forums will also be discussed here. Once again, listeners can submit a segment in which they talk about something interesting that they have found from messing around with the game. Basically, it is a news segment and the most serious and in-depth of all of the segments on the show.

-Topic of the Week: Listeners may submit a topic to be reviewed and possibly discussed in major detail. This would be a question and answer for a lot of people who are intimidated by the world of competitive smashing and would attempt to better introduce them into it.

So yeah, that's what I've got so far. What do you guys think?

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
^I am an awesome member? Thank you!

As for why it wouldn't work out, could I have a reason please?

If it's experience, I not only play competitively but I also have a lot of experience podcasting...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Well, the first problem is that you are simply discussing it instead of presenting a prototype to evaluate. Secondly, SMYN already draws in the big names of the community, so these ideas would better be served as a single segment of an already popular show. Third, it doesn't surprise me that your pro friends want to remain anonymous. Are their names PC Chris, KoreanDJ, and ChuDat? What is your definition of pro?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Actually, Frogbutler, you have nearly 100% described the future of Show Me Your News. We don't intend to stop the podcast after Brawl's release, instead we intend to continue doing the podcast, although there are multiple routes we are considering. One of the most likely routes we're considering is doing pretty much exactly what you described. Sorry ^_^''

parkermortensen

Smash Cadet
You seem like you've got great credentials, and I'm all for more Brawl discussion. It seems, though, that the idea might be too similar to SMYN. Even if it weren't, I wouldn't be surprised if Youko is planning all that and more for Season 3.

It's a need that's already been filled, to be blunt.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Frogbutler, you have nearly 100% described the future of Show Me Your News. We don't intend to stop the podcast after Brawl's release, instead we intend to continue doing the podcast, although there are multiple routes we are considering. One of the most likely routes we're considering is doing pretty much exactly what you described. Sorry ^_^''
Aw sh*t. Well, w/e. Could you look into your other routes possibly?

I've been planning this for a while now...Or maybe I could be a guest host on SMYN Season 3.

It's just that after listening to SMYN today, it sounded like you guys were takign a very "We're doing all Nintendo things now"route to the podcast and not strictly a podcast focusing on the competitive side of the game. Am I right?

Either way, I still might give it a go due to the fact that I'll have enought ime on my hands to do a weekly podcast.

Other comments?

Mr.Snifflez

Smash Cadet
I'm 100% FOR THIS and your right SMYN doesn't cover competitive discussion. Yes they are very good podcast, But all they do is speculate on updates, and laugh at VERY corny jokes its ridiculous, but anyways I'm all for this podcast

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
^I have a supporter! Wow! Thanks. However, I wouldn't bash SMYN, I love them, lol.

Also, and this is for Buzz, it's pretty hilarious that one of the people on your list in one of my anonymous pro friends, lol.

But yeah, I assumed SMYN Season 3, at least how it sounded on the podcast today, was going in a "All Nintendo Talk" podcast direction and that it would only be monthly.

That's why I stated I have a great idea and I can easily do it weekly. I really would love to have both for the good people of Smashboards!

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
It's interesting. I would love to hear people just talk about Melee. The top ten players in their opinions. I would love to hear some debates about...

Wobbling
Unbanning Peach's Castle (Doubles)
The Tier List

It'd be really interesting! And I would subscribe and listen just like SMYN.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
To Buzz,

NO WAY! If my pro-friend is my linchpin to creating this podcast, I'll totally use him. I love SMYN to death but, man this would be a dream come true for me.

And, to The Hypnotist, I was talking to various players and if I was do do a "preview-cast" before Brawl even comes out, I'll totally take your guy's suggestions.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Aw sh*t. Well, w/e. Could you look into your other routes possibly?

I've been planning this for a while now...Or maybe I could be a guest host on SMYN Season 3.

It's just that after listening to SMYN today, it sounded like you guys were takign a very "We're doing all Nintendo things now"route to the podcast and not strictly a podcast focusing on the competitive side of the game. Am I right?

Either way, I still might give it a go due to the fact that I'll have enought ime on my hands to do a weekly podcast.

Other comments?
I agree, I love SMYN, I really LOVE it, but when they were talking about VC games and terrible Wii Games (IMO) I was like... they could be talking about Smash! Hahaha, Panda, is SMYN heading towards a Nintendo style podcast?

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
To Buzz,

NO WAY! If my pro-friend is my linchpin to creating this podcast, I'll totally use him. I love SMYN to death but, man this would be a dream come true for me.

And, to The Hypnotist, I was talking to various players and if I was do do a "preview-cast" before Brawl even comes out, I'll totally take your guy's suggestions.
Very interesting, so I'm confused, are you into competitive play when it comes to Melee? Who do you play as, just curious.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
To me, SMYN is first and foremost a celebration of all things Brawl. Not to say that you guys are not capable of going a different route, but I just don't think a complete competitive focus will fit. You've always tried to incorporate something for all types of players, I just can't see that changing.

I do think there is room for another podcast that's primarily focused on discussing the depth and strategies of Brawl and perhaps Melee.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
I agree, I love SMYN, I really LOVE it, but when they were talking about VC games and terrible Wii Games (IMO) I was like... they could be talking about Smash! Hahaha, Panda, is SMYN heading towards a Nintendo style podcast?
^Honestly, I hope it is. That way we could both have quality podcasts!

Also, I personally think the Nintendo podcast would work best for Panda and Youko. They are ALWAYS going on tangents about Nintendo anyway so why not?They'd be great at it!

Also, I main Falcon and Zelda in Melee. In fact, there's an article about me on SmashWiki.

I do think there is room for another podcast that's primarily focused on discussing the depth and strategies of Brawl and perhaps Melee.
^Thank you, that's what I needed to hear!

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
FrogButler and I have been discussing a little bit of his podcast, and I was wondering what everyone would think if it turned into a video podcast of sorts?

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
To clarify bballstar23, it would really be both.

The podcast would be recorded as normal and uploaded as an audio podcast but the next day, the podcast would also be put into video format along with demonstration videos on how to do certain techniques.

So, basically it would be me and my co-host, whoever that may be, conversing with each other and guests through Ventrilo, but alternately showing gameplay video. The full thing would be hosted on Mega Video (which I believe has no limit on the size of a video upload) and would also be released like all other podcasts in pure audio format.

Also, thanks for the support you guys.

The somewhat positive response if definitely more than I expected.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
To clarify bballstar23, it would really be both.

The podcast would be recorded as normal and uploaded as an audio podcast but the next day, the podcast would also be put into video format along with demonstration videos on how to do certain techniques.

So, basically it would be me and my co-host, whoever that may be, conversing with each other and guests through Ventrilo, but alternately showing gameplay video. The full thing would be hosted on Mega Video (which I believe has no limit on the size of a video upload) and would also be released like all other podcasts in pure audio format.

Also, thanks for the support you guys.

The somewhat positive response if definitely more than I expected.
Haha, I love how you quoted some of the stuff I said in the pm. I just wanted to summarize there, because I wasn't sure what exactly the final idea was.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
^ I quoted because you worded it so nicely! :)

Any other comments on the idea? I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it now with all the support I've been recieving!

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
Okay, it's official. bballstar23 is going to be one of my 2 permanent co-hosts so now this project is really rolling along.

However, I'm still looking for suggestions of all kinds. Please comment!

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
i would make it like SMYN just more to the point and shorter

this way people will be willing to listen to 2 podcasts since one isnt too long

also have new episodes come up generaly during the week

my main point of advice is probably going to come after i hear SMYN post brawl's release

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
I like where this is going. If you do a audio/video podcast of sorts it'd be different enough for people to watch alongside SMYN and SmashDash. I personally would love to see a competitive oriented podcast!

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
I'm 100% FOR THIS and your right SMYN doesn't cover competitive discussion. Yes they are very good podcast, But all they do is speculate on updates, and laugh at VERY corny jokes its ridiculous, but anyways I'm all for this podcast
I'm with Mr. Snifflez. If you think you can pull it off, by any means, go ahead.
BUT, I should warn you. There are people who've tried at this sort of thing (not Brawl related) and failed, miserably...just a warning.

Revven

FrankerZ
I like this idea, I've always wanted be a bit closer to the competitive scene in some way because I've never been able to go to tournaments because Cleveland doesn't have that many tournaments and I myself, can't drive. I'm competitive, I'm just not a pro.

Though, I'm all for this of course. I'd probably watch the video podcast though because audio some times can bring me to boredom if I don't see some faces. Besides, I like the idea of seeing how some techniques (if any) are done through gameplay footage!

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I like this idea, I've always wanted be a bit closer to the competitive scene in some way because I've never been able to go to tournaments because Cleveland doesn't have that many tournaments and I myself, can't drive. I'm competitive, I'm just not a pro.

Though, I'm all for this of course. I'd probably watch the video podcast though because audio some times can bring me to boredom if I don't see some faces. Besides, I like the idea of seeing how some techniques (if any) are done through gameplay footage!
That's the main reason why I suggested doing a full video podcast, but realized that it would take too long for us to compile all the video clips, as well as edit the whole thing, while still getting it out on a regular basis, especially if something new is discovered in the middle of the edits. Basically the idea right now is that the audio would be recorded and the moves/breakthroughs explained, and the next day the video would be released to show people the move in action, as well as steps regarding how to master it.

Revven

FrankerZ
That's the main reason why I suggested doing a full video podcast, but realized that it would take too long for us to compile all the video clips, as well as edit the whole thing, while still getting it out on a regular basis, especially if something new is discovered in the middle of the edits. Basically the idea right now is that the audio would be recorded and the moves/breakthroughs explained, and the next day the video would be released to show people the move in action, as well as steps regarding how to master it.
Ahh, I see. I understand now, I suppose then I would have to listen to the podcast which is fine as well since I used to listen to podcasts often. I just got bored of the ones I listened to eventually, but, anyway.

You both have my full support.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
WOW, all I have to say is Wow. Thank all of you for your support.

I am 100% going to go through with this now. Seriously, I'm getting really excited and everyone's advice is extremely helpful!

THANK YOU ALL FOR BELIEVING IN ME! :)

So curiously, now that I know there are a lot of people who want this, who would you guys like to see as my first guest host?

Mythos13

Smash Apprentice
this does sound like a great idea, and im for it. only problem is Smyn says they r covering all of that business. u should try and negotiate with them and at least see if u could have some sort of written or pre recorded imput. id listen to it

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
also, if you are doing an actual video podcast (which i recomend) you should have like a "game of the week" system where you pick a game from anywhere (internet, among yourselves, friends, etc.) and narrate it, that would be cool

also have a guest system with either people calling in or have a schedualed guest talk through online but not physicaly in the video

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
also, if you are doing an actual video podcast (which i recomend) you should have like a "game of the week" system where you pick a game from anywhere (internet, among yourselves, friends, etc.) and narrate it, that would be cool

also have a guest system with either people calling in or have a schedualed guest talk through online but not physicaly in the video
Well one of the ideas I had proposed was to have both the host and the guest speaking through Skype/Ventrilo, while they both record themselves. Then the video would be edited to look like an interview. It was more in depth, but that's the basic gist of it.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
ForgButler, how long have you been a part of the competitive smash community? How many tournaments have you been to? I can understand if you are really excited about competitive play, but you are really new to the scene. Unless you had somebody really established working with you then your podcast would simply not be very credible.
youko wasnt very competitive when smyn started... you would really just have to listen to the first episode to find out how credible he was...

Top Bottom