• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I see that a whole lot of people jump to conclusion with rosters (hell before the reveal EVERYONE was jumping to conlclusion, especially regarding newcomers), but I try not to. I have no reason to believe that toon link is impossible. I just consider him likely to be cut, along with lucario and snake. Gut feeling tells me that's going to be the only cuts, but who knows. And if sakurai thought the backlash of cutting Roy and mewtwo was extreme, the backlash of cutting ness would be backbreaking.

Alright then, I can respect that. ^_^

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I see that a whole lot of people jump to conclusion with rosters (hell before the reveal EVERYONE was jumping to conlclusion, especially regarding newcomers), but I try not to. I have no reason to believe that toon link is impossible. I just consider him likely to be cut, along with lucario and snake. Gut feeling tells me that's going to be the only cuts, but who knows. And if sakurai thought the backlash of cutting Roy and mewtwo was extreme, the backlash of cutting ness would be backbreaking.
guys, this is the Fire Emblem discussion thread, I just brought it up because if Sakurai had any logic he would cut Toon Link and make him the scape goat...two Links was stupid idea and will remain that way....

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
guys, this is the Fire Emblem discussion thread, I just brought it up because if Sakurai had any logic he would cut Toon Link and make him the scape goat...two Links was stupid idea and will remain that way....

2 Links being a stupid idea is your opinion and not to be a jerk or anything but when it comes to Smash rosters your opinion means nothing in terms of what will be playable.

2 of the 3 games have had 2 Links.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Apparently, Ike is a clone of Marth according to another user.

Discuss.

Well, they both have counter...
Can't believe they so shamelessly made Peach and Lucario a clone of Marth. We're just lucky that they don't all have the same Final Smash, am I right?

In all seriousness though, it ain't worth it to try and convince him. It does seem like everyone has a slightly different definition of what a clone is in Smash, anyway.

So, here's a question... would people hate it if Marth's style was changed to be even more like a fencer's? Make him a little faster, but eliminate almost all of his moves that have him slicing instead of stabbing? I feel like that could help differentiate the FE sword characters even more, especially if we do get a third one.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I would like Counter to be on one FE lord only. I know it's the iconic FE move in Smash, but there's really no reason for more than one character to have it. Let Marth keep his Counter, and give the other Lords their own, unique Down-Bs.

nessokman

Smash Lord
This was on the FE discussion thread and didn't see it here so-
image.jpg
I lost it when I saw this. Gotta shake the bricks I **** out of my pants

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
2 Links being a stupid idea is your opinion and not to be a jerk or anything but when it comes to Smash rosters your opinion means nothing in terms of what will be playable.

2 of the 3 games have had 2 Links.
Well guess what, my opinion is based on my beliefs, and 2 Links in one game goes against everything Sakurai said about character inclusion....

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If you don't like it then don't talk to me, I'm close minded and I'm proud....
You know, being close-minded isn't exactly something good to be proud of... Just saying.

On your statement, yes, Sakurai wants a diverse roster, but he also likes the idea of two Links. And guess what, two Links can have different movesets and that's what counts. One criteria doesn't invalidate the other.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
You know, being close-minded isn't exactly something good to be proud of... Just saying.

On your statement, yes, Sakurai wants a diverse roster, but he also likes the idea of two Links. And guess what, two Links can have different movesets and that's what counts. One criteria doesn't invalidate the other.
They can but they wont, would you really want another shameless clone ? it's something to have the same moveset altered a bit for 2 different characters but to have the nerve of including the same character on different speeds is like giving the middle finger to fans....

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
They can but they want, would you really want another shameless clone ? it's something to have the same moveset altered a bit for 2 different characters but to have the nerve of including the same character on different speeds is like giving the middle finger to fans....
I've seen unique movesets for Toon Link that make use of items from Wind Waker. And it's not like clones are the end of the world, if they are few in numbers.

Sakurai wants a diverse roster, yes, but he also thinks that two Links are important. Like I said, one statement doesn't invalidate the other.

Also, please explain how including Toon Link is a middle finger to the fans. Toon Link isn't just a faster Link, since several of his moves are entirely different from Link's. Ah, have I mentioned that he can be made unique? I believe so.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Falco is a marth clone because they both have blue hair LOGIC

Wait did you think that was real at first? Lulz. And plus 2 points for the diving into battle reference.

BAH! The STUPIDITY of this statement!

...everyone knows Falco has feathers. :awesome: :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
“The amount of stress I feel, it’s almost to the brink of death,” Sakurai said of designing Smash Bros.’s character roster. “Because it’s not just a matter of me personally thinking this character or that character is going to be in the game; it’s that we also have the game balance, animation, graphics and sound to think about in order to make that character fully fleshed out in that universe. I have to think about all of that when I go through this decision-making process.​
Whether it’s a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played, if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.
“I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we’re making these decisions.”​
-Masahiro Sakurai​

Good news for Ike. Hope he refrains from putting back in Dr.Mario though. :rolleyes:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Wasn't getting Alerts from this thread, but finally went back on it anyways, from what i read, i feel Ike has about a 70% chance of being in, wish it was 100 but people keep thinking he's a clone.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
No one except people who are wrong think he is a clone
No one is thinking he is a clone, they're thinking he will BE a clone. Careful with your tenses there, mister, there are a great many dangerous mistakes in semantics.
Chrom's likelihood to be a clone is far higher than you like to think, that is due to his low potential ceiling, even if you take extravagant amounts of artistic license. . .

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am hoping for some Aether buffs on Ike. It felt kind of underwhelming in Brawl. It was sort of weird to see Ike being so powerful, but Aether being one of his weaker attacks.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I want Ike to be able to use both Aether and Quick Draw in one jump. That would buff his recovery.

I just HOPE Ike is not cut. :urg:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Quick Draw should indeed be jump-cancelable. Not like in Project: M though, but something similar. Aether being used out of Quick Draw would be awesome yeah. He could also be a little heavier to boost his surviving capaticies. Ike is not known to be taken down easily.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Although I think Chrom is more likely since he's the character you play more as in Awakening, I think the way that Awakening is promoted suggests more parity between the lords in the game: Lucina and Chrom. I also firmly believe that the Fire Emblem series is on the rise with Nintendo and is well positioned to have three representatives. If that's the case, and both Marth and Ike return from Brawl, I think Lucina would be a better a choice since she isn't a blue haired male swordfighter.
I don't believe she would be a clone either. Traditionally, the Smash series uses the actually attacks from the Fire Emblem games as the basis of their moves. With Marth it's a bit of a stretch, but you can see a definite resemblance. Ike's special moveset is all in game attacks aside from eruption. Lucina stabs more than marth, holds her blade with two hands, has a different stance, etc. In terms of attacks, she's very different. Also, characters are usually presented in the style of their game, and Awakening has a different style than the rest of the series, so I also believe Lucina will look different because of that as well.
I think Sakurai has made a definite move away from clones, as most close have differentiated attacks now, if you can even consider them clones anymore.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I just don't see how you can have Lucina in a game that has Marth. Visually, the two are nearly identical. There's too much potential for confusion. I guess if they didn't use his FE:A redesign? Even then they are still very close, though.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I just don't see how you can have Lucina in a game that has Marth. Visually, the two are nearly identical. There's too much potential for confusion. I guess if they didn't use his FE:A redesign? Even then they are still very close, though.
You can say Mario and Luigi look similar especially when there being both in their green costumes colors, but there is a difference, have Marth keep his lighter shade of blue and a non awakening costume and Lucina wouldn't look like a clone.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
You can say Mario and Luigi look similar especially when there being both in their green costumes colors, but there is a difference, have Marth keep his lighter shade of blue and a non awakening costume and Lucina wouldn't look like a clone.
Still her persona revolves around Marth, that's why it's not likely to see her play if Marth remains, Chrom looks alot like a middle ground between Ike and Marth...

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't believe they would use his redesign because Sakurai is particular about making a character look like in their original appearance (see Mega Man). His most recent updated appearance was in Shadow Dragon and it's sequel. He will look closer to his appearance in those games. In Melee and Brawl, he received an upadated design similar to Pit in Brawl. Pit now takes cues from Uprising, so Marth will take cues from Shadow dragon.

Fire Emblem Awakening has a completely different style, both in game and in its artwork. Going off what was stated above, Lucina will be presented in Awakening's style. There's also a few little differences such as the tone and tightness of her outfit, her hair, Marth's shoulder pads, and her height. I think their different color schemesis the biggest difference. Marth is a much lighter shade of blue, even with his hair. Lucina has more dark blue all over her outfit.

Her stance is also complete different as she crouches a bit and holds the Falchion with two hands. There's also the fact she is a female as well. That means she has a different chest and waist than Marth. In a way, she looks more like an homage to Marth rather than looking similar. She wears the same outfit, but it's complete different in its own way. If you put the two characters next to one another, especially in Marth's latest form in Smash, and they look completely different.

Still her persona revolves around Marth, that's why it's not likely to see her play if Marth remains, Chrom looks alot like a middle ground between Ike and Marth...
Her persona doesn't revolve around Marth unless she's wearing her Marth mask. After that reveal, she becomes her own character both in personality and on the battlefield. Her style of fighting is completely different than Marth.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't believe they would use his redesign because Sakurai is particular about making a character look like in their original appearance (see Mega Man).
Doubtful, or we wouldn't have Other M Samus. Mega Man is a special case due to the various Mega Man sub-series and the distinctive and iconic nature of his NES sprite.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Doubtful, or we wouldn't have Other M Samus. Mega Man is a special case due to the various Mega Man sub-series and the distinctive and iconic nature of his NES sprite.
I meant Sakurai uses the appearance from games they star in. I shouldn't have said original. Since Shadow Dargon and Heroes of Light and Shadow are his most recent appearances, I believe his appearances will continue to be based on that.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm sorry, but I just don't see there being much confusion between the two. I'm not the world's biggest Lucina fan, and there are other characters I'd prefer, but I've never bought "she looks too much like Marth" as a legit excuse for why she wouldn't be in the game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I just got done talking with one of my older sisters. I swear I've never talked to her about this before.

Here we were talking about what little she's seen of Smash, and how she didn't know Wii Fit Trainer would be in.
"I'm arguing with a lot on the internet recently about who should I think should be the next Fire Emblem representative for Smash Bros."
"Let me guess. . . . . ."
"She's been in every Fire Emblem except Gaiden."
"Is it. . . Sumia?" She looked puzzled for a moment.
I shake my head, "no, she's only in Awakening."
"Marth?"
I shake my head again, "Well, no, Marth is inevitable (gasp!), there's no way they're gonna remove him."
"Yeah, duh, uhm. . ."
"Anna."
"Oh! Yeah, that makes sense, I like her."
"Mmhmm, some people were trying to say Marth is the mascot (I think it's mostly based on the fact that our first exposition to FE was him and very little else, while the Japanese tradition of FE is much more), but he's not."
Cross talk with my sister assenting to Anna's mascothood and expanding on that while I tell about Serenes Forest and other people and groups who think similar.
"Well, they can't to Chrom or Lucina because they're too similar to Marth (DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP, I smiled here when she said that)."
"Yeah."
"Right, exactly, but I would like Cordelia, she's my favorite, she's just so awesome. Though I can see why she isn't really possible. But yeah, Anna sounds like a good character to put in."
We then talked about the popularity poll and what people think of certain characters the world over and other things about Anna before I went to the bathroom and we returned to our natural states of staying in our rooms and using our electronics, I with some delicious home-made mostacholi (darn this dictionary not knowing mostacholi, I love this dish).
What you got, Shinpichu, Noler, etc? WHAT YOU GOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT DOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
MonK4 perhaps you shouldn't push Anna support that much as to spread her out everywhere like that. Else you may get her to accidentally end up like Impa ended up thanks to Diddy Kong... ^^;

It's nice to know your sister is cool with her too though. ^_^

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
MonK4 perhaps you shouldn't push Anna support that much as to spread her out everywhere like that. Else you may get her to accidentally end up like Impa ended up thanks to Diddy Kong... ^^;
It's nice to know your sister is cool with her too though. ^_^
Thanks, yep, but she agreed of her own volition, I didn't really do any convincing at all, or even push Anna at all. She was all for it.
Mostly, I made that post because I used the acursed word (the "I" word in bold), and the fact that she thinks they can't use Chrom or Lucina because they're too similar xP
My other objective was to talk about Walhart (my second favorite Awakening character :troll:) with her to see how far she's gotten in Awakening.
I do often feel overly committed sometimes, but I have an agenda, and you know what I'm gonna do with it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thanks, yep, but she agreed of her own volition, I didn't really do any convincing at all, or even push Anna at all. She was all for it.
Mostly, I made that post because I used the acursed word (the "I" word in bold), and the fact that she thinks they can't use Chrom or Lucina because they're too similar xP
My other objective was to talk about Walhart (my second favorite Awakening character :troll:) with her to see how far she's gotten in Awakening.

Nonono I didn't mean that. I mean like posting the same post to a few other thread's and all. If you overdo it, people may end up getting annoyed and perhaps even start to dislike her because of that. As what Diddy Kong did to Impa. This post could have been just fine in the Anna thread and I guess the Fire Emblem discussion thread, but I don't think it had any need in the General smash Bros Wii and 3DS thread.

Just a friendly advice from a fellow Anna supporter. ;) Support, but don't go overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom