• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem discussion" Ver 2.0 (Smash Ballot)

Do you like the Idea

• I do very much and I'm committed to it!

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I don't at all, please go back to the cave you came from!

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Because it makes him a better character for inclusion than Anna?
If that's true, then Anna's existence throughout the entire franchise means just as much.

What you're saying isn't true
Which part? Because that's definitely all you've said in retaliation.

her potential is not limitless
As far as Fire Emblem characters go, yes, it practically is. I'm not even the only person who's explained why.

and when she uses a sword she fights similar to marth.
There is no logical backing or evidence to support this statement.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Because...? You can't?
Because what do you even mean by that? It's utterly arbitrary!

Her having more potential for moves doesn't mean she has the potential for better moves, I think Black Knight has potential for better moves.
Arbitrary!

Because it makes him a better character for inclusion than Anna?
Somewhat more justified argument! Yes, he plays an important role in two games, but Anna appears in many, many more. It can be argued.

What you're saying isn't true, her potential is not limitless
Indeed. Her potential isn't limitless, she cannot turn into a swarm of war elephants. Pedantic!

and when she uses a sword she fights similar to marth.
Luckily she doesn't have to be limited to a sword. Which I think was mentioned multiple times.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
There is no logical backing or evidence to support this statement.
I've seen her in game, she has similar attacks and stature to marth.

If that's true, then Anna's existence throughout the entire franchise means just as much.
No because the black knight has major importance to tellius, Anna is just sort of there. Anna's like a goomba while the Black Knight is the bowser of tellius.

As far as Fire Emblem characters go, yes, it practically is. I'm not even the only person who's explained why.
There are 17 moves, not counting grabs, that means the number of potential attacks isn't really relevant, what's relevant are the best 17 attacks you can give a character. Number of options =/= potential as a fighter.

Plus I really can't ever see Anna wielding an axe, she's not big enough to fight like a berserker. Can't even really see her using a lance, I guess maybe kind of like a soldier, still would seem out of place.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Plus I really can't ever see Anna wielding an axe, she's not big enough to fight like a berserker. Can't even really see her using a lance, I guess maybe kind of like a soldier, still would seem out of place.
Merchant Anna actually does wield a spear.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still think it's weird, and axe point stands.
Ike would like a word with you. Black Knight can use axes, but his legendary weapon is Alondite. And he uses it 99% of the time; he can only use an axe if you're controlling him and you GIVE him one (and he's only usable in a few chapters). Ike can use an axe perfectly fine, but he doesn't use an axe in Smash Bros. because Ike primarily wields a Sword in combat, most notably his legendary weapon Ragnell.

Anna, like Robin, can get away with using any weapon because she doesn't have a legendary weapon of any sort.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I've seen her in game, she has similar attacks and stature to marth.
And why would this have to translate into Smash?
Suppose that Anna would be a trickster anyway, and doomed to use a sharpened stick. Why would she have to fight like Marth? Make her twirl, make her bounce around! She's a bloody trickster, not every swords(wo)man of average stature has to fight like Marth! Give her lots of movement in her actions, put a focus on mobility! This is, by the way, without mentioning her insane boss form, which wields a lance and has Aether for some reason.

Still, if I were to make Anna into a playable character, I'd go with hemorrhaging weapons out of hammerspace. It just suits her weird time-space transcending ways better.

No because the black knight has major importance to tellius, Anna is just sort of there. Anna's like a goomba while the Black Knight is the bowser of tellius.
Beep! Wrong! Goombas are common mooks, therefore the FE equivalent would be generic foot soldiers.

There are 17 moves, not counting grabs, that means the number of potential attacks isn't really relevant, what's relevant are the best 17 attacks you can give a character. Number of options =/= potential as a fighter.
Nice, so what exactly determines this potential? Why are the Black Knight's moves somehow better than Anna's?

Picture Anna running around with a giant axe, done. It's not supposed to make sense, hell, SHE doesn't make any sense to begin with!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Black Knight uses Lances, actually.
I was responding to the other guy. I wasn't even paying attention properly, though I thought he did use Axes. :p

And why would this have to translate into Smash?
Suppose that Anna would be a trickster anyway, and doomed to use a sharpened stick. Why would she have to fight like Marth? Make her twirl, make her bounce around! She's a bloody trickster, not every swords(wo)man of average stature has to fight like Marth! Give her lots of movement in her actions, put a focus on mobility! This is, by the way, without mentioning her insane boss form, which wields a lance and has Aether for some reason.

Still, if I were to make Anna into a playable character, I'd go with hemorrhaging weapons out of hammerspace. It just suits her weird time-space transcending ways better.

Beep! Wrong! Goombas are common mooks, therefore the FE equivalent would be generic foot soldiers.

Nice, so what exactly determines this potential? Why are the Black Knight's moves somehow better than Anna's?

Picture Anna running around with a giant axe, done. It's not supposed to make sense, hell, SHE doesn't make any sense to begin with!
Because he's an Ike with 3x the weight who can't jump. And we thought CAPTAIN TOAD couldn't jump! Seriously, there's no ****ing way any armored knight can possibly jump. A light armoured unit like Ephraim or a Solder, sure.

Rakath

Smash Ace
The problem is this isn't how it works for Fire Emblem. All FE characters are true to their class, with small creative liberties. Robin uses ONE move... ONE move that the Tactician class cannot in the original game, that being dark magic, but it still accurately reflects dark magic.

Ike accurately uses moves that resemble the Mercenary/Hero class and Marth accurately fights like a Lord. This is way far and beyond what a manakete is capable of doing. I like the concept, I just do not see it happening at all when there's far easier alternatives.
If Manakete plays very quick and defensive without the Smash Ball, and can only get heavy with the violence when a Dragon how is that wrong? Depending on the limitations of the systems it could be a full Dragon form as long as it doesn't require too many system resources.

You also overstate how accurately Ike and Marth fight. Brawl Ike couldn't have been slower, while Merc/Lord Ike was built entirely on his speed. They feel right but there is no actual basis for that, given the graphics of FE1 and 3. Also they played very lose with how Thunder works for Robin. Unless you think Robin is toting around 9 different weapons.

And, again, Falcon was done on zero basis, meaning Falcon cannot be an accurate representation. The Super Cape doesn't work the way Mario uses it. Arrow of Light predates Kid Icarus Uprising, but Guardian Orbitars doesn't have that excuse (and are also wrong).

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I just find it baffling how Awakening Trickster Anna (who holds a sword in a REVERSE GRIP) is apparently "similar" to Marth in fighting style.

Also, seriously. Anna with a Berserker staff or a Sleep staff would be grand. She isn't limited to just the Warp staff if Robin can take inspiration from the GBA games.

Last edited:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Well that will certainly make an interesting character, reverse grip...
...Didn't you say you saw how Anna fought? Shouldn't you already know she holds her sword like how thieves do in Awakening? The way Marth attacks is like a fencer. He thrusts his arms full out in order to get a stab. Anna is more about close slashes. Which is why I think Anna needs staves as well to supplement a moveset because a super close-ranged sword fighter sounds like a disaster.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still will probably choose Mamkute Boy / Girl over anything else.

Braydon

Smash Ace
...Didn't you say you saw how Anna fought? Shouldn't you already know she holds her sword like how thieves do in Awakening? The way Marth attacks is like a fencer. He thrusts his arms full out in order to get a stab. Anna is more about close slashes. Which is why I think Anna needs staves as well to supplement a moveset because a super close-ranged sword fighter sounds like a disaster.
So you criticize me for saying it wouldn't be good, then say her sword attacks would be a disaster... And staves won't make a moveset, maybe a move or two. not a moveset.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
So you criticize me for saying it wouldn't be good, then say her sword attacks would be a disaster... And staves won't make a moveset, maybe a move or two. not a moveset.
I never said that first part and I'm saying strictly relying on essentially a knife wouldn't be beneficial for Anna in Smash. Also, have you seen what Palutena does with a staff? It's not that complicated.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
I never said that first part. Also, have you seen what Palutena does with a staff? It's not that complicated.
That's not what FE staffs do... Stop trying to change the game to work for anna... There are plenty of characters that can work without going against how things work in FE.

Besides everyone hates palutena's tilts, the staff is the worst part of her.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
That's not what FE staffs do... Stop trying to change the game to work for anna... There are plenty of characters that can work without going against how things work in FE.

Like how the Bronze Sword shouldn't be unbreakable?
Like how the Levin Sword doesn't shoot projectiles?
Like how Robin can't use Nosferatu as a Tactician?
Like how Robin shouldn't be able to equip more than 5 weapons, but he/she clearly does so?
What even is Eruption and when does something like that occur in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn?
If Sakurai truly cared for game canon, he wouldn't give Ness and Lucas PK Fire, Thunder, or Starstorm.

And I'm also not saying she should exactly have Palutena's tilts, it's just that there's a moveset for a character that uses a staff.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Staves could be used to attack in Radiant Dawn, so there actually is precedence in FE canon for it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This thread could use a little bit of more Tharja sprinkled on it.
Why? She's a pointless character from Awakening who's only popular for sex appeal, she's not even anywhere CLOSE to being a main character, we already have two Awakening playable characters and odds are we'd get Chrom long before we get a side character in the game, not to mention the fact that Tharja didn't even make it in as a TROPHY.

Tharja has no chance in hell of ever becoming playable.

Troykv

Smash Master
Why? She's a pointless character from Awakening who's only popular for sex appeal, she's not even anywhere CLOSE to being a main character, we already have two Awakening playable characters and odds are we'd get Chrom long before we get a side character in the game, not to mention the fact that Tharja didn't even make it in as a TROPHY.

Tharja has no chance in hell of ever becoming playable.
Tharja sounds like a troll vote because sexual appeal... and that is xD

Vote for Micaiah or Tiki xD

Sir Fearret

Smash Rookie
We could always, you know, vote for someone else, like, Ephriam. I know most people hate his game, and him as person, but at least it wouldn't be another sword user. With Roy confirmed and all, he has a reverse grip, but is nearly a clone of Marth. So yeah.

Troykv

Smash Master
We could always, you know, vote for someone else, like, Ephriam. I know most people hate his game, and him as person, but at least it wouldn't be another sword user. With Roy confirmed and all, he has a reverse grip, but is nearly a clone of Marth. So yeah.
Welcome Fearret!

Personally I'm voting for Micaiah, but yeah, you vote for the character that you want...

And... Roy has some cloney moves, but is enough different to be a Semi-Clon.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Lyn is my most requested FE rep though I doubt theirs any FE characters that are going to be DLC with the backlash the fanbase has given for 5 reps from the series. I to personally want DLC to be more spread out.

I personally hope we get to see some FE14 related Mii Costumes in the future though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would personally love Ephraim and I had enjoyed the game, but his time had passed sadly and I've moved on to another character. Like him, Aqua is also a lance user and she has something he lacks (relevance) because of the upcoming If game.

Though like @ Ura Ura . the chances of them being Mii Fighter outfits are likely since Sakurai might be too afraid to add any other new character due to the fanbase's salty grudge against 5 or more FE reps.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I would be okay with Mii costumes.

If Sakurai has no intentions of promoting non-playable character, for example, I'd happily take a Lyn or Chrom Swordfighter costume. Isabelle at least demonstrates it's a possibility.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would like to see Mii costumes for FE. I can definitely see that happen, I'd love it. I might actually buy a Mii costume if that happened.

Troykv

Smash Master
I would personally love Ephraim and I had enjoyed the game, but his time had passed sadly and I've moved on to another character. Like him, Aqua is also a lance user and she has something he lacks (relevance) because of the upcoming If game.

Though like @ Ura Ura . the chances of them being Mii Fighter outfits are likely since Sakurai might be too afraid to add any other new character due to the fanbase's salty grudge against 5 or more FE reps.
I would be okay with Mii costumes.

If Sakurai has no intentions of promoting non-playable character, for example, I'd happily take a Lyn or Chrom Swordfighter costume. Isabelle at least demonstrates it's a possibility.
I would like to see Mii costumes for FE. I can definitely see that happen, I'd love it. I might actually buy a Mii costume if that happened.
Who characters you see likeables as DLC Customes? Lyn and Chrom? Someone else?

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Lyn and Chrom seem alright. They're popular and already have exposure from being in the game, I think they'd be neat.

and then lyn dlc plz~

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Not sure if this could be the right place to talk about characters from the upcoming SMT X FE games?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Both would be likely given their exposure like the others said and several of the Fire Emblem If protagonists if they want to promote the ahem (Or feel that they're not DLC worthy at all). But I'm not so sure how an Aqua costume would work since her lance has different functionalities unlike a sword (unless they can get around that hitbox issue easily).

Not sure if this could be the right place to talk about characters from the upcoming SMT X FE games?
Nope, not all. This might as well be the right place to talk about them given that not a single user made a support page for them yet. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom