• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You do not need 3 different characters in Squad Strike, what does this mean for competitive?

Untouch

Smash Master
The main argument about making Squad Strike standard in the competitive scene is that people don't want to learn 3 different characters. Now that that isn't the case, where do we go from here?

Outside of the mode potentially not working online (hackers don't have access to online yet obviously), and some minor issues with counterpicking, I can't see any major issues with using Squad Strike for 1v1.

No, we don't need to change something just to change it, but what's the downside?
The downside to making it a side event is that it'll get much less focus and end up just being 1v1 anyways.

I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinions (as long as they aren't "why change it if we don't need to", it's getting beyond tiring to hear this, back up your opinion please).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Meh, still a fun way to show off how many fighters you're good with. That's basically the same for Smashdown, but played differently.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Rule 1 about the competitive scene: we will NEVER treat another game mode with even the SLIGHTEST sign of equality to stock. It will never happen, EVER. Give up.

(Even if it would be great)

Untouch

Smash Master
Rule 1 about the competitive scene: we will NEVER treat another game mode with even the SLIGHTEST sign of equality to stock. It will never happen, EVER. Give up.

I think this is the problem, it isn't a different game mode.
People are acting like would be "replacing" 1v1, when it is 1v1 with minor changes.

If this is made into a side event, it'll just be another 1v1. It won't get as many entrants and it'll be ignored as it'll just be a repeat of 1v1.
This isn't like customs where there is a drastic change in character interactions.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon

We should totally do coin battles. That would be fun in the competitive scene.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I use many characters, so I wouldnt mind squad strike at all.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I saw a good point on the Smash reddit:

Is Squad Strike was the standard mode since 64, and when Ultimate came around a regular 1v1 became a side mode, would we change the new standard to regular 1v1?

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Honestly I saw a good point on the Smash reddit:

Is Squad Strike was the standard mode since 64, and when Ultimate came around a regular 1v1 became a side mode, would we change the new standard to regular 1v1?
Honestly I'd love to see an explanation there. At least we had both timed and stock since the beginning and understood the ramifications with both, but the best I've heard against Stage Strike now is that it can cause less low tiers to be seen. Honestly, this wouldn't really be a problem in a half-decent balanced game, something Smash Bros has historically been REALLY, REALLY awful at, but even so, do you see everyone picking Fox and Falco in Melee at high levels? Do you see everyone picking Bayo at high levels in Smash 4? Do you see everyone picking Pikachu in Smash 64 at high levels, or Meta Knight in Brawl? Of course not, because people pick what they are comfortable with more than what can potentially win, which is why we have so many low-tier upsets at times. This isn't going to change with Stage Strike whatsoever.

The other argument I saw is that people will gravitate towards easy to play, low skill floor characters compared to the higher skill floor characters like Duck Hunt, Greninja, Ness, etc. To which I repeat the first point, because there will always be some people who work with higher skill floor characters for many different reasons. It's making an issue out of nothing, and as I've seen over the few weeks we've gotten more information towards other non-traditional things being favorable or favored, the Smash community is VERY good at making problems out of nothing for the sake of keeping things the same.

Then some of them disingenuously state that "oh we can just add these in if they do alright in 'testing'", ignoring the fact that to test requires playing these new modes, systems, etc as if they were normal and getting a good amount of data that way. So they, possibly knowingly, put these new ideas in a trap of never being tested and thus never being known how they work and thus never being used officially. I say knowingly because it just so happens to directly lead to the one thing these vocal people in the Smash community want most, no change.

Top Bottom