• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's role in teams

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I do believe this may be the first topic on this, but I am curious to know what you all think of Yoshi in teams. What is his role? What are some cool combos you can do with him? He has a huge draw back of not being able to hold his opponents while your teammate pummels on them (do to the fact that the opponent is in his mouth lol). Is Yoshi support or aggressor?

A cool combo a friend and I were pulling off was with PT , particularly Ivysaur. He would bullet seed and as the bullet seed was near finishing i would jump up and dair into a neutral or if time an up a. Hard to pull off being the other opponent can knock you out of it but fun non the less lol. FUN.

Eggs are almost useless in teams as well as chain grabs. However I found eggs are great for saving a teammate who is about to be sent eying off the stage due to a throw or smash..

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I did learn that Yoshi's chewing affects enemies in the immediate vicinity, which was pretty funny.

I guess he chews aggressively, and it knocks people around.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Eggs aren't entirely useless...

Unlike many other projectiles, they are arced from the ground, and can be thrown over your teammate for support.
I meant eggs in the traditional sense of just spamming them as we do in 1v1 to rack up damage. But yes that is entirely true. You can stand behind your teammate for protection and just chuck eggs over his head.

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
I generally use eggs when behind my friend in teams, but I haven't teamed to much in a while. Gonna have to get my friend and try some stuff.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Well im goin to a tournament next Friday and I will probably teaming with a Zelda or a MK. If i team with the MK I usually play as support and throw eggs or play more defensive. But if I team with the Zelda I will have to play aggressive. So, therefore Yoshi can play aggressive and defensive on teams. Also, the chain grab is not completely useless you can use it if you and your teammate square off with each of your opponents (but, it is unlikely for this to work a lot).

Defender

Smash Rookie
I wonder about the possibility of Yoshi being teamed up with a great projectile character such as Falco. The two characters could then set up a varitable wall of projectiles with Falco in front spamming his blaster and Yoshi just behind him spamming his eggs. Yoshi's egg would be very useful because they could be used to keep opponents out of the air and in Falco's line of fire while simultaneously helping to inflict a bit more damage. I can see this being particularly effective against large characters that lack good projectiles or jumps, but I can also see this being completely ineffective against the space animals, Ness, Lucas, G&W, (becuase of their Relectors ,PSI Magnets, and Bucket respectively) and characters with good jumps or projectiles.

All in all, I think that Yoshi could be an good support character becuase of his Egg Throw and Egg Lay, but I also think that he could be a decent aggressor.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
But if I team with the Zelda I will have to play aggressive.
Remember that you can nair through din's fire. ;P

I wonder about the possibility of Yoshi being teamed up with a great projectile character such as Falco. The two characters could then set up a varitable wall of projectiles with Falco in front spamming his blaster and Yoshi just behind him spamming his eggs. Yoshi's egg would be very useful because they could be used to keep opponents out of the air and in Falco's line of fire while simultaneously helping to inflict a bit more damage. I can see this being particularly effective against large characters that lack good projectiles or jumps, but I can also see this being completely ineffective against the space animals, Ness, Lucas, G&W, (becuase of their Relectors ,PSI Magnets, and Bucket respectively) and characters with good jumps or projectiles.

All in all, I think that Yoshi could be an good support character becuase of his Egg Throw and Egg Lay, but I also think that he could be a decent aggressor.
I team with a ROB and projectile spamming can be very effective. Hitting people off the stage and guarding with lazers, eggs, and gyros makes recovering very difficult. If you can eat up their second jump when they're on the verge of being off the screen, they're as good as dead.

I don't know how other people play, but when I'm doing teams it seems a lot easier to just split up and take on one person while your teammate takes on the other on the other side of the stage or something so that you don't end up messing each other up. One of the most important things I find in teams is being able to make swift transitions between 1v1 to 2v1. Being there to help guard a recovering opponent, or tossing a stray egg to ruin the other team's combo can make all the difference.

Top Bottom