• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Double Jump Tolerance (In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hopefully this is the last question, but is Charging Smash for a fully charged smash attack? And if I'm doing Shield Breaker or any other charging move, will it work for those too?

Also are you planning on doing the frame data for Spyro after Crash? :troll:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I'm testing out the actual borderline percent that Pound does and doesn't break Yoshi's heavy armor, as well as every other move.
Are you planning on doing this manually? Because I bet it wouldn't be too hard to write some code that does this for you. Way better than going through each move/percent individually, at least.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Are you planning on doing this manually? Because I bet it wouldn't be too hard to write some code that does this for you. Way better than going through each move/percent individually, at least.
Whoops, worded that wrong. Planning on going through as many character's moves as I can by putting it into Spacejam's calculator (on the Kurogane site). Planning on starting with Bayonetta since she's pretty relevant to the game; I won't do charged smash attacks since I can't find info about that on the Kurogane site, so you or anybody else who wants to continue the project can do anybody other than Bayo and/or charged smash attacks so that our data doesn't overlap and we don't waste time. I'm probably not starting anytime soon, though; I might be busy this week.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Whoops, worded that wrong. Planning on going through as many character's moves as I can by putting it into Spacejam's calculator (on the Kurogane site). Planning on starting with Bayonetta since she's pretty relevant to the game; I won't do charged smash attacks since I can't find info about that on the Kurogane site, so you or anybody else who wants to continue the project can do anybody other than Bayo and/or charged smash attacks so that our data doesn't overlap and we don't waste time. I'm probably not starting anytime soon, though; I might be busy this week.
He was actually asking if you were using the calculator for each individual move by hand, and then hazarded a guess that writing some code to have it run through every move for you would be easier.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Dunno how to do that with my limited Python skills. If there's a way to copy/paste the frame data into a program and make it spit out the exact percents, that'd be great, but I'd have trouble doing it.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I have limited coding experience, but I was thinking something simple that plugs in damage, KBG, and BKB for each attack a character has into the knockback formula, incrementing percent by 1 until a knockback of over 120 is produced. Once you have that basic code written then it could be applied to any character's attacks to check for when they break armor. I might be able to try and write something like that this weekend if I have the time.

EDIT: Got the knockback formula working right since I hate sleep, I'll try to figure out how to start plugging in numbers next. One question though: what is the reason for training mode knockback and versus mode knockback? Through testing it seems like they have the same number added and subtracted from whatever value the knockback formula spits out.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Yeah, I have limited coding experience, but I was thinking something simple that plugs in damage, KBG, and BKB for each attack a character has into the knockback formula, incrementing percent by 1 until a knockback of over 120 is produced. Once you have that basic code written then it could be applied to any character's attacks to check for when they break armor. I might be able to try and write something like that this weekend if I have the time.

EDIT: Got the knockback formula working right since I hate sleep, I'll try to figure out how to start plugging in numbers next. One question though: what is the reason for training mode knockback and versus mode knockback? Through testing it seems like they have the same number added and subtracted from whatever value the knockback formula spits out.
Staleness and freshness. Training mode always stays at 1.0 staleness while in VS mode it starts out at 1.05 and stales from there. You should probably do Training because of that.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Oh, turns out I forgot to add the attack's damage to the percent before putting it into the formula. That's what happens when you try coding at 2 in the morning...

EDIT: Here's an early test using Mario's data from KuroganeHammer. I might try to find a way to put sour/sweet values for attacks on the same line eventually, but here it is for now. It shows the name of the attack followed by the first percent it would break Yoshi's armor at, and smash attacks are all uncharged.

If someone wants to test this in training mode and confirm/deny if this is working properly then that would be great.

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Double post, but I've done some more work on the code while procrastinating on my actual CS homework. Now it's set up to check every attack, separate into normals/aerials/specials based on location in the file, put sweet/sourspots of an attack on the same line, and just put a > sign if the percent is beyond a set threshold (currently set at 200%). I also have it set up to pick out "dangerous attacks" based on the percent it breaks armor at - anything that breaks armor below 70% is set as "dangerous", but this percent can be changed just by changing the variable to whatever number you want. Here's all of Mario's data as an example!

Apparently Mario's up+b breaks armor at 0%? Not sure if that's right, I might have made a typo when I was writing the file. In any case, the next step is to start putting the data for other characters into files that this program can read, then we can easily extract double jump tolerance data for anyone!

Last edited:

DJlive

Smash Apprentice
Apparently Mario's up+b breaks armor at 0%? Not sure if that's right, I might have made a typo when I was writing the file. In any case, the next step is to start putting the data for other characters into files that this program can read, then we can easily extract double jump tolerance data for anyone!
Sadly it does. That's why I find the Mario MU annoying. You can't play offstage as safely knowing Mario can easily break your DJ but recovering.

Good job though!!!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Good god Egg., amazing work.

Sadly it does. That's why I find the Mario MU annoying. You can't play offstage as safely knowing Mario can easily break your DJ but recovering.

Good job though!!!
Although it can be broken, it's worth noting that getting armor broken by his Up B isn't the worst thing possible. It provides no follow ups, and it hits us UP, so recovering afterwards shouldn't be hard either. It's not like he can jump out to the blastzone then Up B us for a gimp either.

DJlive

Smash Apprentice
Although it can be broken, it's worth noting that getting armor broken by his Up B isn't the worst thing possible. It provides no follow ups, and it hits us UP, so recovering afterwards shouldn't be hard either. It's not like he can jump out to the blastzone then Up B us for a gimp either.
I got hit while trying to spike pretty deep (but enough to normally recover). I've also gotten untechable stage spiked by it. You kinda pray you just get brought back up to the stage.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I guess that it also means Mario can safely dthrow --> up+b without us having any ability to escape for whatever percent range that it's true plus a few extra.

I'm going to be busy doing the work I've been putting off for the next couple of days, but this weekend I can test some more popular characters/tough MUs like Diddy and Cloud, maybe I'll post a thread with some of that data plus a download link for the code if anyone else wants to mess with it.

DJlive

Smash Apprentice
I guess that it also means Mario can safely dthrow --> up+b without us having any ability to escape for whatever percent range that it's true plus a few extra.
Yep, no luck on that one. A friend of mine kept exploiting that on me. If you sdi quick enough though... Really hard... You can get a Nair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom