• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs. ROB

Metatitan

Smash Master
No this isn't an official matchup discussion or anything, i just want your input on why a lot of you think its 5:5. I personally think it is 4:6 because of killing moves, priority, weight etc. Just leave a post saying what u think the matchup is and why :bee:

StarYoshi14

Smash Rookie
Both of their aerial games are pretty equal if you air dodge the Neutral air, don't get spiked, and avoid the lazahs and shield or dodge the gyro.

Metatitan

Smash Master
His bair works fine as a finisher and its not something easily dodged considering it has large range and lasts for a bit of time =/

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201922&page=29

The matchup was discussed for a little bit before this, but this is where most of the important points were made.

R.O.B.'s killing moves really aren't a huge threat to Yoshi unless the Yoshi player is getting careless (which is just inviting a neutral air upside the head), while Yoshi's kill moves are very realistic to use against R.O.B. R.O.B. is also in a bad position against Yoshi when he's high and shallow in the air above him (read: forward throw to ETS). Yoshi's aerial mobility absolutely dominates R.O.B, as well.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I think Yoshi doesn't have any trouble killing his approach is limited by Rob's Campy nature. I mean ftilt range, down b gyro and laser camping are really hard to approach.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Our finishers on ROB are pretty much groundpound, uair, usmash, and f smash. Groundpound and f smash aren't consistant finishers (unless u DR then f smash has much more potential) and u smash usually gets move decay with me (although i try to save it for finishing) and uair works well but its not like they can't airdodge or anything. ROB has his f smash (about as reliable as our f smash) usmash (also unreliable), bair (very reliable) and nair (somewhat reliable). Nair isn't the issue per say because of its awkward positioning (at least thats what I've noticed), but bair is an extremely reliable finisher for ROB. Since us yoshi's rely on spotdodgeing, the end of bair will probably hit us (not necesarily for the kill). Let's just face it: both of us suck at killing the other one but due to our limited shielding ROB is gonna be killing us easier than we are gonna be killing him. Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of this, this was only my opinion.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Mmac wanted to put it off til later and just call it 45:55 atm, but he was kinda forced to put it as 50:50 for the time being so I just wanted to get a little input on the matchup.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
From what I've heard Yoshis don't like to use their shield because of bad OOS options. Knowing this what I as a ROB would do is try and take advantage by landing the gyro so it knocks you after your standing dodge completes. Since shielding stops the gyro from stayin on the stage, lack of shielding means you're always dealing with a gyro, and good work with that thing can rack up impressive damage.

If the yoshi starts to use shield to cancel the gyro I'd glide toss and follow up with a dgrab>usmash probably. I just see ROB controlling the ground very well in this match, although I do give Yoshi the nod in the air, especially if you can pressure ROB from below with uair since our dair is very slow.

Yoshi being difficult to gimp forces ROB to slug it out though, and with Yoshi's heavyish weight you could get pretty high before getting killed.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
From what I've heard Yoshis don't like to use their shield because of bad OOS options. Knowing this what I as a ROB would do is try and take advantage by landing the gyro so it knocks you after your standing dodge completes. Since shielding stops the gyro from stayin on the stage, lack of shielding means you're always dealing with a gyro, and good work with that thing can rack up impressive damage.
Problem: most Yoshi account for this, and will anticipating bring the Gyro the equation. If they grab your Gyro (which I do... a LOT), you're put in a bad position. You're also not taking into account Yoshi mobility. Chances are I'm not going to shield OR dodge the Gyro, because there's really only a few situations in which it's realistic for R.O.B. to shoot it out.

He can do it all the time, but there's only certain times in which he's apt to.

If the yoshi starts to use shield to cancel the gyro I'd glide toss and follow up with a dgrab>usmash probably. I just see ROB controlling the ground very well in this match
Second problem: Yoshi's pivot grab. As good as R.O.B. ground game is (especially his tilts), you're going to get hit with this. Like, not "If this happens, you might get hit with it," no, I mean you WILL get pivot grabbed at least a few times during the match. When that happens, Yoshi has a back throw or forward throw against R.O.B. that puts him at just the right angle to juggle him and/or pummel him with eggs like no one's business. The Laser and the Gyro will not help R.O.B. at this angle (downward laser is beaten by forward ETS like no one's business and he has to fall a distance to have the Gyro protect him), and meanwhile R.O.B.'s in his worst positioning.

Neither one of them is 100% helpless in any part of this match, so I have no hesitation making this dead even.

Metatitan

Smash Master
They pretty much are neutral except for the priority in some of ROB's moves. While we can pivot grab these, it certainly doesn't help us to be more limited on approaching than ROB.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
Also you can counter the nair with heavy armor then uair

i did this very easily in this when we had our match up tests when the match up was discussed

and front smash > robs tilts

you can rack up damage easily on ROB when he recovers by using dair or just egg spamming him

yeah reason i said 5.5;4.5 for dino

or even

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
I dont think most of us rely on our double jump armor to protect us from attacks...
umm because we never use it

we just short hop most of the time
which is what i do too

and we use eggs to recover or just air dodge 2nd jump

but in that match up against ROB it works against his nair and u get a nice Uair out of it

also works on lucarios twinkle toes but thats a bit harder to pull off

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
this match up aggaints ROB, is very tough for me mainly for those dis-jointed hitbox also because
im a sucker for falling fo the Shiel to Dsmash, however i do nail a lot of combos on the ROB
the only finishers i end up getting kille dby him is Bair, and Dsmash, anything else he just
pilled up the damage with his lazers and gyros

tough i really hate i cant grab that gyro faster than he does ¬_¬....anyways most of the times i do win
4/5 matches with him, but it really depends on who im fighting i havent fought a good ROB in a while
so i probably wouldnt know best

Metatitan

Smash Master
IMO i just think its a 45:55 ROB just because of priority issues with that fair of his but other than that we both have hard times killing eachother and we both combo eachother liek madness so w/e u guys decide

Yikarur

Smash Master
umm because we never use it

we just short hop most of the time
which is what i do too

and we use eggs to recover or just air dodge 2nd jump

but in that match up against ROB it works against his nair and u get a nice Uair out of it

also works on lucarios twinkle toes but thats a bit harder to pull off
Super Armor in Brawl is not good as you think.
Robs Nair is a good Finisher and it has to much knockback for the Super Armor to stay.
Yoshis Super Armor keep robust by about a fully charged fsmash by Donkey Kong on 0%.

So you can counter Robs Nair only on lower percent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdyiZ1vtTC8

me against germanys best Rob o:
I noticed I don't grab once LOL
I still lost but its very close :0

I think 50:50 is ok ^-^

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for posting that video, it was a good watch. You dodged so many eye beams from ROB that match.

Top Bottom