• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tech Guide

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, so a while back, I got a few people together and I mentioned making a tech guide. Well, that group didn't kick it off since we were all near the end of school and our time was crunched. So now, I'm going to try to get it pumped out.

Things I need:

-People who can record. I can embed the videos in the guide so it'll look pretty cool.
-People who are advanced in technical aspects
-Possibly someone who can cut parts from videos and make them into gifs.

Originally I was going to assign techs to different ones in the group. But now I believe I'll let generally smart people take parts. If I say no, don't be offended. There's only so much that can be done in this part without hording in on someone else.

Scat has all DR/DT stuff, no questions asked. :] I was going to take the other DJC stuff. Nul was going to take E:F things. And I don't remember the rest.

So, as a community project, I believe this would help.

It'll include app videos for each tech. Which Airborne and I will be working on. We'd be glad to accept footage if it's pretty bad ***.

bigman40

Smash Master
-sigh- Guess I should get on my part. However, until I get a sufficient video editing program on my computer, I can't do much right now.

Chaco

Never Logs In
You don't need to do the vids Scat. Just get the info. I'll make it as easy on you as possible.

bigman40

Smash Master
If they need the info, then my guide is what you can take lol. People don't learn easily enough with just that. So, most of the times you have to go the extra step to make it simple enough.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh the guide video?

Well, it's gonna have to be more complex than that. In depth for people, who can go that next level.

D

Deleted member

Im doin egg lay, get over it meta :p
I can sorta record lol
Not rly.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I would do techs pertaining to the Yoshi Bomb, but (as you guys probably know) my video quality is terrible and there is a certain technique with it that I can't get down (instant edge-hog). :(

Depster

Smash Champion
I have a good amount of tech skill, but I don't really know what you're wanting me to do about it =p

Metatitan

Smash Master
Na air i got ECE covered, I have an (obvious) trick that not many yoshi mains use to actually egg toss and get back on stage at the same time.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I did that once, actually. I tried doing it again and I couldn't replicate it. I'd like to know how to do the motion for it.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I've done it before too but I know a different (riskier) and simpler technique to doing it. Warning though, you will sd if you don't time it right.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Lol Air was in the original group. He has those.

And bair and Egg Lay in the same sentence. I hope it's something new and not the bair to ELF.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Nope. When you short hop bair (or at least if you do it correctly, I noticed that yoshi could do the start-up animation for any other aerial, but there was not enough room to do another aerial. I noticed this near the start of the game. However it wasn't until recently that i thought about double jumping, which could be used to perhaps enhance our combo game. Then a big DUH came to me when I realized that we could probably dragonic egg lay. And I was right. This is a very useful (at least it looks good on paper anyways) defensive mindgame to add to our arsenal.

The ironic thing is that the day I had discovered it, I decided to practice with it for that day to fight out how exact the timing had to be (it isn't that hard) before revealing information to anyone about it. The next day i contacted stocky on AIM and as it turns out, he discovered the same thing the day before as well xD. So we both discovered it separately and were waiting to tell the other the next day. So I'm calling this a split find, whether it's been discovered before or not, it is still useful and I haven't seen anyone else do it.

bigman40

Smash Master
During the time when I found it, I couldn't actually find a true way to hone in the finesse for it (when I wasn't technical). I tried it a few times in friendlies to see how it reacts, but then I got ****ed every time I did use it. So from there, I started looking at the possibilities it could do, and while I found some useful spots, I also found some bad spots too. Just to list a few examples:

1. Space a Bair on someone shield then DJC egg lay away from them to protect yourself.

This is a fairly good tactic, but the real problem here is the lack of speed. There's a big break in between the transition, and if you needed to cancel it fast enough to avoid them from going under it, you won't slide far enough to stay out of dash attack range.

2. Bair when retreating and then DJC egg lay towards them.

I didn't get to experiment this scenario too much. So I'll just move on.

3. Used as a cross-up (dangerous though). Bair so that you are behind then (say you're on the right side after the Bair), then DJC egg lay to the other side of them (you DJC to the left side, but egg lay to the right).

I didn't get to experiment this scenario too much. So I'll just move on.

Now these are only what I had thought up when I was messing with it (there could be more combinations that you guys can think of), but I do know that you can use this after a Fair and a Uair since both of them autocancel.

My problem still remains for Egg Lay as a whole. The amount of finesse play it asks for (egg lay as a whole) is annoyingly hard, and it seems that I don't do soo well finesse wise :(. Plus, I still have the problem of over spacing Egg lay. Although, now that I'm reminded of this maneuver, I might start thinking some mixups on it again.

Oh, and another problem about this that I knew is that this can form some ugly habits. If people expect it coming, they shield the Bair, then spotdodge the Egg lay and still punish if they do it right. However, this is my opinion on it. So someone can show me otherwise cause I'm still on the edge of this move.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Well it looks like you have all the technical play covered, but if theres anything left to cover then I can do it. I can do anything you need, regardless of the tech skill required.

Also I might be able to create GIFs of short video extract. I don't have my Dazzle yet though so I can't record gameplay.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, I'll think of something as this starts to come together. Believe me I'll think of something, hah.

D

Deleted member

Chaco can u explain to me the point of DT.
Dr is freakin long already, all this does is make it longer, who needs that lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Dr is freakin long already, all this does is make it longer, who needs that lol.
The cancelled FT gives you can extra boost. Mainly I use DT from an idle position. One of the few places it's good. Like with the DT release stuff, a regular DR probably wouldn't work.

It can make you faster, but not faster than all but Sonic. That was speculation upon the finding, that was proved to be falsified. We didn't know the potential then, but now we have a greater understanding.

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok, i am most likely going to the midwest championships on saturday, and it's a 3-hour drive to springfield, so i'll take a notebook and try to jot some notes down on ETS and ECE that i can use in an explanation... i'll also start working on notes for that **** tutorial that i've been putting off for 5 months... -.- i need to get mah **** together...

auroreon

Smash Ace
The slide with DR is variable, even when u get good with achieving maximum slide you don't gain all that much distance anyway. With DT you always have a gauranteed distance at least and you can achieve a monster slide with it. I just find it far less restrictive and more versatile than a standard DR.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Okay so after trying out that Bair to DJC Egg Lay. I found something I like. A low Uair to DJC Egg Lay. Say you're running Hop a low Uair with sideways momentum, they shield it....well, it gives you suffiecient time to change your momentum with DJC Egg Lay and come back and get them. Pretty nifty. Good stuff Meta.

But yeah I'm feeling we should combine this with the new regular guide and make a super in depth guide. :D

Metatitan

Smash Master
Okay so after trying out that Bair to DJC Egg Lay. I found something I like. A low Uair to DJC Egg Lay. Say you're running Hop a low Uair with sideways momentum, they shield it....well, it gives you suffiecient time to change your momentum with DJC Egg Lay and come back and get them. Pretty nifty. Good stuff Meta.

But yeah I'm feeling we should combine this with the new regular guide and make a super in depth guide. :D
I swear you've posted that exact post before, but it came up for today. Am I having deja vu or something?

Chaco

Never Logs In
I combined the new part with as to not double post.

Top Bottom