• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi : Northwest Yoshi technicals/tips share.

mlgc4

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi

I'm actually Bc Chris(BC) but originally C4.I'm setting up a thread where people can ask me questions on how to improve their level of play with yoshi and with brawl in general.I'm currently on Oregon power rankings for melee.I've played in sereval melee tournamments over the past three years and many brawl tournaments .So far I enter brawl tournaments every weekend(for the past two months) with my friends sponsoring me for them.I started playing brawl in the beginning of january(japanese version),then continue after american game came out.

------------------------------------- Post here -----------------------------------------

post any questions on yoshi match ups or techniques(well basic tips/advan.)

bigman40

Smash Master
My first question then. What are opinions on the matchups against the other characters? I've been wondering about the matchups for a while

PRiDE

Smash Lord
you the c4 that i was in an ffa with last night? with ELI ... ;P

mlgc4

Smash Apprentice
no nc1 pride I dont play online and match up is perfer would be not against toon link, diddy kong,snake and meta knight.

cobaltstarfire

Smash Rookie
Last time I checked raptors are birds of prey and "raptors" as the cute little guys are often called because of Jurasic Park are really Dromeosaurs :p

I always considered Yoshi to be a dragon, if only because the "dragon coins" in SMW had a picture of yoshi on them.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Alrite. I got a few real questions.. :p

1) How usefull are ECE's in brawl? Is it worth mastering? R there any vids on it used at its fastest tempo, so I can compare my speed and wut not.

2) Uair, Sex Kick, and Usmash. I find these all awesome jugglers, very easy 2 hit with 4 the most part.. BUT, Ive killed with Uair at 106, Sex Kick around 130, and Usmash slightly below the Uair I believe. So r these jugglers or KO Moves. I need 2 figure out which 1s to keep fresh.

3) The CGs on those few charcters.. is it really worth atempting in serious matches? How much damage can it ganrantee. (<<Spellcheck)

I have a few more but I think I can fend on meh own. Thx ahead.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
umm CG on mk is definately worth it.. definately. only way you can win vs MK, cg and eggs.

ece i always use in every match, opponent never times it correctly

D

Deleted member

Because it doesnt work. Ive tested it alot, it can be jumped out of easily. If the mk has no yoshi experience it works tho, so i do it alot anyways =P I also chaingrab marths who have never played yoshis.

Sharky

Smash Master
Yes it does, just takes good timing. And the metaknight in question has plenty of yoshi experience from yours truly. =)

cobaltstarfire

Smash Rookie
I've found it's pretty hard to even set up pivot grabs. Then again I'm starting to think my reflexes may be too slow even for serious play in brawl. :S

Sharky

Smash Master
It's more predicting the opponent's attack than anything else. For example, I was playing a snake yesterday, and most of my grabs came out of predicting when he was going to approach, whether by running, dash attacking, or boost smashing.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
When playing a few matches the other day, I noticed something with backthrows at low %. It seemed characters that can be CG'd by the grab-break can also be CG'd with bthrows at low%...

I don't have a whole lot of time to test this, could someone check that out? Useful -- if true -- for tacking on much more damage much faster during a typical CG, and for extending a CG that reaches the edge (walk em to the ledge, bthrow if the % is right, walk em back)

maybe it also works on heavier chars who can't be CG'd normally. (Fox comes to mind) who knows.

something to try out anyway.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ha, pivot grabbing ***** a boost smashing snake. I usually don't hear so much complaining from a snake about how broke something is, who honestly thinks yoshi's pivot grab is broken? yeesh.

D

Deleted member

Yes it does, just takes good timing. And the metaknight in question has plenty of yoshi experience from yours truly. =)
R u sure they just arent jumping quick enough, ive played tons of MKs and they break out of it after they see me doing it a few times.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Metaknights can definitely escape the grab-break CG with a jump. I thought for sure it worked going into a recent tournament, only I didn't land a single second grab on a metaknight the entire time. And I didn't mess up.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
umm I have been CG probably one of the best MK's in NJ , and he could not get out of it at all... again I am pretty sure he would have thought to jump...

Sharky

Smash Master
lol Once againt the yoshi boards are split on the debate. I say we put it down for now until we have a solid collective answer.

Top Bottom