• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi is a ZSS counter.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
People may be saying this because Egg Roll outprioritizes the muzzle flash on Plasma Whip, but good spacing with Plasma Whip will knock Yoshi right out of the roll. You might even be able to Dsmash Yoshi out of Egg Roll. Yoshi may be able to get some kind of approach in with bair, and his projectile game certainly outranges Zamus, but I highly doubt that's enough for a counter. Zamus could certainly do a number with uair juggling and her bag tricks. I don't know about Yoshi's combo ability on her, though.

I'd probably put it at even if not advantageous for Zamus.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I think it's about an even match up. I'm not entirely sure why, but my experience against Yoshi tells me it's at least even for him. The eggs, pivot grabs, and super armor tend to be the biggest problems.

And ph00tbag you can d smash the egg roll.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Egg roll can be canceled by various moves, even ZSS' single jab if my memory serves me right.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Yoshi can also be grabbed out of his Eggroll, Dsmashed out of it. He can be stopped with the Fsmash I believe.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Yoshi really has no advantage over anybody, so it's not fair to say that anyone could have an advantage over him.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Yoshi really has no advantage over anybody, so it's not fair to say that anyone could have an advantage over him.
Lolwut?

This makes no sense.

Yoshi is annoying to play, but if you know the character and his spacing it's not that hard of a matchup.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
you can stop his egg roll with an uncharged blaster... with a charged too, if you want to risk getting hit :p

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
ZSS is a Mk counter.
She can fly better than him to!
Just play metroid prime, and get in her ship.
"Energy Tanks and Missiles replenished. Would you like to save your game? -Yes -No"

...and in MP2:E she gets struck down by lightning.

Haha, I just felt like contradicting this guy. No harsh feelings against Samus! I love Metroid to bits! ^^

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Indeed. He has good approach options and good kill moves and "combos". His major issue is really the fact that his shield is utter crap.
If by good kill moves you mean two smash attacks + uair and by good approaches you mean his dash attack and egg roll...

His major strength is in his ability to camp and rack up damage with his air attacks. His KO moves are all easy to see and not get hit by.

My friend tried maining Yoshi for a while, and it didn't work out against any of the joke characters I put up against him (Even C. Falcon).

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, yoshi has about 3 kill moves. And i think by good approach they mean the RAR Bair which tears through shields and sets up for combo's (it's like G&W's with more combo potential). Oh and a good yoshi (good being the key word since most people that use yoshi are girls that only pick him cause he's cute or little kids since he's a dinosaur) can edgeguard well and ZSS having a tether recovery makes it all the easier to do so.

Yoshi can't camp very well since his egg throw has uber lag (unless cancelled of course), oh and Uair can be used for mindgames since yoshi can easily float under people with slower fall speed after a second jump making it so he can hang under anyone and Uair again if he'd like.

Your friend must just not do well with yoshi's awkward movements, that's his biggest turn off in this now that he actually has a "third jump"

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Yeah, yoshi has about 3 kill moves. And i think by good approach they mean the RAR Bair which tears through shields and sets up for combo's (it's like G&W's with more combo potential). Oh and a good yoshi (good being the key word since most people that use yoshi are girls that only pick him cause he's cute or little kids since he's a dinosaur) can edgeguard well and ZSS having a tether recovery makes it all the easier to do so.
I know you're a Yoshi main and I'll respect that, but don't come in here assuming that just because ZSS has a tether means she's easily gimpable. Maybe Olimar and Ivysaur, but not ZSS.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Bad pun added.

I know you're a Yoshi main and I'll respect that, but don't come in here assuming that just because ZSS has a tether means she's easily gimpable. Maybe Olimar and Ivysaur, but not ZSS.
Truth, the Cake is not a lie.
Length of Tether
:olimar:: ------------- (varies)
:ivysaur:: -----------------------(fairly good)
:zerosuitsamus:: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(:joyful:)

Snakeee

Smash Master
Yoshi is actually quite more "gimpable" than ZSS. He can get owned by a simple footstool jump if you're not careful. But I stick by what I said about him being underrated....but ZSS is VERY underrated :)

ForteEscape

Smash Cadet
i dont know what some of you are on about. yoshi sucks. even the people in the yoshi board admit it. also ssz tether is gimpable, because a simple edgehog will send her to her death.

ps: yay 101 post count
...ssz?
suit samus zero?

Anyway, Yoshi doesn't suck. It's just the fact that almost no one bothers to learn or knows how to play him because his very steep learning curve.

Gindler

Smash Champion
...ssz?
suit samus zero?

Anyway, Yoshi doesn't suck. It's just the fact that almost no one bothers to learn or knows how to play him because his very steep learning curve.
True, True.

Yeah, I was planning on seconding ZSS and noticed this thread so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. But I will agree that she's harder to gimp than oli and ivy since she has that down B jump that helps out and she can use UpB a few times in the air if I'm not mistaken, and a midair sideB is a pain when trying to spike her. But I've screwed over her recovery from time to time by throwing her own armor to get her away from the edge (a really good ZSS probably wouldn't let someone else kill her with her own armor) then hogged it. But yeah, I don't think I'd call yoshi a counter to ZSS cause she's so darn fast, maybe snake because of his uber slow speed but not ZSS probably about an even matchup I'd think.

Top Bottom