• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi High Tier Material?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The way things are shaping up, it sounds like everyone wants Brawl to actually be a balanced fighter.

I just hope nobody feels like upsetting that balance too soon.

With regards to characters like DK and Yoshi, I have a feeling they'll be low on whatever list gets made regardless of how good they are just because they seem to be lacking any real personality in this game. DK was by and large the most unpopular character in Melee and nobody liked Yoshi really (for whatever reason, I don't know). It seems that each character will have their own little niche game, however, so we'll see how that goes.

And burnt, you can get it under your user options for the forums.

Aesonus

Smash Rookie
i really like yoshi but unfortunately it seems that he got screwed in terms of power again :(

a few things i noticed while playing him recently was that he has great recovery now (with the addition of his new egg throw), he has a lot some good spikes/meteor smashes (mainly his fair/dair), and has enough power to be able to kill some opponents in the low 100s.

my main problem with yoshi right now is that he seems to lack priority..

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
No, he's gotten worse. Yoshi can no longer crouch cancel or double jump cancel. I can't combo with eggs anymore, and I haven't been able to counter with an n-air during my double jump yet. Other than that he's just the same old yoshi. I'm still pretty good with him and he's probably one of my best characters right now, but that's only because I played him so much in melee.

Perhaps I'm playing the brawl yoshi wrong, but as of now I think I'm giving up on the dinosaur.

The Last Yoshi

Smash Rookie
To anyone that's been reading this thread as opposed to just looking at the title and responding...

Yoshi is incredible in many ways. I'll have my friend code posted up soon so we can have some battles and see what else we can learn about Yoshi. I've been doing amazing with him both online and offline and I really have no complaints about him. What makes a character interesting are their weaknesses anyway. Working around those weaknesses is a great deal of fun.

Gindler

Smash Champion
So far my only major gripe with yoshi is how they uberly nerfed his Down smash (that thing was uberly powerful and could kill at like 80 percent easy). other than that though i think yoshi's better, his grab in a run can actually get someone now because he doesn't do that stupid trip motion. His egg roll pwns now going straight through certain things and still hitting the target, and he's still tough being able to hang in there at 180% time and time again.

Of course I'm going to main yoshi agian, but I'm thinking I'll have to play more back ups than i did in melee (I used yoshi and yoshi alone in melee) depending on the opponents character.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
high tier material maybe, but i sure as hell hope no one counts him as high tier XD
I've always loved the fact that no one else plays yoshi, ever.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Poor Yoshi...
Unfortunately, he isn't really outstanding in any respect, which will give him more than a hard time against characters who have everything...

But there might still be hope for him. Sakurai has pretty much eliminated most potential sources of advanced techniques, but there are a few characters who have odd properties in some places, and Yoshi's one of them. There's the possibility that something about him will be discovered that makes him good...

For example, the way things are looking right now, I wouldn't be surprised if competitive Brawl turned into an edgeguarding competition. Pit, Metaknight and Dedede might dominate due to their potential to gimp recoveries. Yoshi, with his double-jump that still grants aerial maneuverability now while allowing you to attack, could potentially counter this by spiking pursuers or slamming them into a wall to throw them to their doom while he safely recovers...
Or something like that.

YoshiPwnsAll

Smash Rookie
I think he is high tier, especially in four player brawls. His aerial attacks are SO much better. His egg is now a recovery. He has soem great combos. And he is really cute.

Let me add that I am somewhere between a casual and competitive palyer. Maybe that makes a different. I think Yoshi might be most competitive in casual matches.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how to explain it, but yoshi's just a killing machine in Brawl compared to Melee.
Maybe he can take more damage and can kill things easier?I noticed he has more range and a much MUCH better recovery.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYLbJZt2fOg

heres a pretty cool vid about yoshi doing combos and stuff, ya is against a comp but still i think its interesting (and fun) to watch. Yoshi, IMO, is at least a bit better, if not then he should be about the same as he was in melee. but i believe the chats will be a bit more balanced than in Melee.

Yoshi_FTW

Smash Rookie
Yoshi is really underrated I have been whooping the **** out of Marth and Ike pros with him in Brawl

Yoshi_FTW

Smash Rookie
He is alot better than when he was in Melee so i'm good underrated though....yeah he is.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Yoshi's ability to kill was so badly nerfed i would be quite suprised if he even made Mid tier...

aka no Nair kills.. no Dsmash kills... that leaves Uair/Fsmash/Usmash..

like i said.. /sadface

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's ability to kill was so badly nerfed i would be quite suprised if he even made Mid tier...

like i said.. /sadface
Three reliable kill moves is more than Meta Knight has. :p

Gindler

Smash Champion

like i said.. /sadface
Yoshi's Nair kills at like 110 if you use it as an edgeguard you just have to make sure you "activate" it right when they're in your face, that's where all the power is because it actually kicks them rather than them running into a foot in the air.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Three reliable kill moves is more than Meta Knight has. :p

This is stupid. MK has plenty of kill moves, I know this not because I main him, but rather my brother uses him as one of his mains and he is overpowered.

Besides, let's say he does have 3 killing moves, isn't that enough? I mean one way to kill someone is enough really.

and @ OP, Yoshi is not high-tier material, that is all.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi is kick *** dinosaur tier. Everyone else falls into the not nearly as cool tier. Those that think Yoshi is low tier should make their way into the STFU and die tier.

The Jester

Smash Rookie
Hey i am new ,yes i play yoshi

Ya i played yoshi in melee and he has gotten better. He probably will either be high low tier or low mid tier. His aerials are amazing and help him edge guard.

P.S. just joined!

Gindler

Smash Champion

like i said.. /sadface
Dair=easy kill, i've killed at 40% ALOT so I'd call that a kill move
Fair=meteor smash, enough said!
Nair=kills at low 100s, kill move.
Dsmash=i've killed at 120, that's not too shabby.

that's like 7 what i like to call kill moves, getting opponents up to 120 is easy with Bair spamming combos.

Yoshi is kick *** dinosaur tier. Everyone else falls into the not nearly as cool tier. Those that think Yoshi is low tier should make their way into the STFU and die tier.
Right on brotha, always wanted to say that.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
:yoshi: The way things are shaping up, it sounds like everyone wants Brawl to actually be a balanced fighter.

I just hope nobody feels like upsetting that balance too soon.

With regards to characters like DK and Yoshi, I have a feeling they'll be low on whatever list gets made regardless of how good they are just because they seem to be lacking any real personality in this game. DK was by and large the most unpopular character in Melee and nobody liked Yoshi really (for whatever reason, I don't know). It seems that each character will have their own little niche game, however, so we'll see how that goes.
quoted for truth.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
I like what Gindler said. Yoshi is a great balance of combo and KO power. He's pretty speedy too. Though, I don't think a lot of people give him enough credit or recognition for him to make it that high. I can't really make out why though, because he's fun and he has potential. Though.. this is good... I don't want a lot of people maining Yoshi >_<

nub?

Smash Rookie
Like everyone said earlier, i think the majority of people associate yoshi with his melee counterpart and his hard learning curve so they immediately dismiss him in brawl. Yoshi's comboing ability is amazing now though and its true he has the qualities of a heavyweight powerhouse without the heavyness part. I think yoshi's godly in brawl and it'll just take some time for people to realize this as well lol

i also think that not everybody believes yoshi is high tier quality because they're afraid to admit that a way cool adorable green dinosaur has pwnage potential, they don't wanna be seen playing a not-so-tough lookin character :)

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I just got ****in owned by a yoshi on smash brawl rankings. He was amazing! There were eggs all over the place like I was being bombed by foreign invaders and he used the tounge and stomp attacks almost perfectly.

EDIT: his name on smash brawl rankings is ngamer3k and he's probably sick of me bragging for him lol

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
The BCT quarterfinals vids don't look that impressive. BCT is online so the matches are slow and clunky, especially when you compare them to footage from in-the-flesh tournaments.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Way to ruin my long-life dreams.
Aw, don't take it so hard man. Just because Yoshi isn't proven to be awesome this instant doesn't mean that he isn't awesome and will never be above bottom tier. =)

Heck, I see him at the bottom of tier lists all the time, and the best explanation I ever heard was that "Everyone else is better too." That's just aching for a good Yoshi player to hit people with a reality stick, since I think the evidence points towards most people just not knowing Yoshi's game in the first place.

whoami111

Smash Rookie
i dont think that yoshi sucks that much, its just that his 2nd jump is ******** and even with super armor, he can still take hits and he can't avoid it.

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi seems to be middle tier material AT LEAST to me. He's fast... good weight... good range, and good KO moves... He has a projectile that can hit anywhere in a huge radius (though honestly it's kinda hard to hit with it sometimes), has decent/good recovery with SUPER ARMOR FRAMES in jumping upward, which is great as an anti-spike, while having spikes of his own. Ground Pound is actually useful now.

Aerials are all good. though up air is a little hard to hit with, and so is forward air, but his forward smash has great range. Downsmash isn't bad either. Up smash is great for KOing and Hypening.

Not sure about his Priority though.

Top Bottom