• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi High Tier Material?

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I dont play yoshi hardly I was sad how he was in melee and 64 I freaking loved yoshi. I was like ah yoshi suppose to be awesomeness ;;. I still played him but I could never really get the handle on him. This game I love him alot think hes going up for sure about **** time. Its time to beat down yoshi's evil masters! that and his final smash consists of freaking wings adn colored yoshi attacks XD!

Frown

poekmon
Aw, don't take it so hard man. Just because Yoshi isn't proven to be awesome this instant doesn't mean that he isn't awesome and will never be above bottom tier. =)

Heck, I see him at the bottom of tier lists all the time, and the best explanation I ever heard was that "Everyone else is better too." That's just aching for a good Yoshi player to hit people with a reality stick, since I think the evidence points towards most people just not knowing Yoshi's game in the first place.

Hey, I was kidding. If your biggest goal in life is to see Yoshi in a top tier, you are not normal. :)

Oh well, if Yoshi ends up at low tier, my friends will have no excuse when I win.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I never touched Yoshi in Melee, he was dead to me.

But...

Brawl has revived my playful inner dinosaur, and I have discovered his new potential.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yoshi seems to be middle tier material AT LEAST to me. He's fast... good weight... good range, and good KO moves... He has a projectile that can hit anywhere in a huge radius (though honestly it's kinda hard to hit with it sometimes), has decent/good recovery with SUPER ARMOR FRAMES in jumping upward, which is great as an anti-spike, while having spikes of his own. Ground Pound is actually useful now.

Aerials are all good. though up air is a little hard to hit with, and so is forward air, but his forward smash has great range. Downsmash isn't bad either. Up smash is great for KOing and Hypening.

Not sure about his Priority though.
Oh yeah, gotta love Juggernaut frames (super armor frames). Some people are still puzzled when yoshi flies right through a spike, I usually do a rising airdodge after the super armor frames to insure safety.

yeah, I've been practicing the Fair, alot harder to spike with than in melee.

Yoshi's priority (i'm guessing that's like cancellation of attacks?) I've cancelled out alot of smash attacks with some of yoshi's tilts which comes in handy as a good counter when I don't feel like shielding or spot dodging

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I was kidding. If your biggest goal in life is to see Yoshi in a top tier, you are not normal. :)

Oh well, if Yoshi ends up at low tier, my friends will have no excuse when I win.
"OMG stop being the next Taj"

...but seriously, I can't fathom Yoshi being low tier.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
He has too much trouble with disjointed hitboxes and projectiles to be high tier. A lot of his matchups in the top and high tiers aren't in Yoshi's favor either.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
He has too much trouble with disjointed hitboxes and projectiles to be high tier. A lot of his matchups in the top and high tiers aren't in Yoshi's favor either.
Thanks for bringing this thread back to reality.

I love Yoshi but the guy has his limits, and it's only going to get worse once players start to refine their top tier characters.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
My experiences with Yosh put him right smack dab in the middle tier like he was in 64. I think its where he belongs, makes him a sleeper pick. "Oh you're goin with Yoshi eh? lol ok lets dance OMG WTF STOP COMBOING ME"

Gindler

Smash Champion
My experiences with Yosh put him right smack dab in the middle tier like he was in 64. I think its where he belongs, makes him a sleeper pick. "Oh you're goin with Yoshi eh? lol ok lets dance OMG WTF STOP COMBOING ME"
Ha, yeah that's actually exactly what it's like. But yeah I noticed that when I play yoshi, wolf and swordies are really annoying to fight, and lets face it like 75% of people who play smash competitively use someone with a sword. Usually I end up keeping my distance from marthers by throwing eggs TL though you have to be right in his face the ENTIRE match.

Top Bottom