• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi: Final Smash - <Super Dragon>

pokemega32

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe people can't remember Yoshi's fire-breathing abilities. Whenever Yoshi would gulp an enemy (only certain ones), he would spit fire, this first appeared in Super Mario World.
Actually, certain Yoshis started with those powers....

Blue Yoshi could fly.

Red Yoshi could breathe fire.

And Yellow Yoshi created an earthquake when it hit the ground.

Green Yoshi could only do these when it ate the Koopa shells of those colors.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
The Green Yoshi (Super Dragon Yoshi) is the one everybody is talking about.

And, yes, I do know where Super Dragon Yoshi technically obtains his dormant powers from, I was just . . . you know what, never mind. Yoshi officially rules, even though this is only a Final Smash (hey, his Egg Throw can launch him upwards now, plus, I'm still wagering on a tounge tether recovery, too).

Talendime

Smash Ace
His Egg Throw can launch him upwards now, plus, I'm still wagering on a tounge tether recovery, too.
I'm thinking that his egg toss won't be anything like it used be. I'll bet you have full control over it this time.

As for the tounge tether, I think its safe to assume that will be in as well.
I'm glad Yoshi was my main in Melee..

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
sorry if this has been stated before, i haven't been here all day, but i thought this was funny

if anyone can't see it, Samus isn't the only one consumed by fire. in the huge fireball is Link.

ouch...

anyway, yoshi has a cool final smash. not my favorite, but still cool. good homage to SMW

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
I giggled when most of the posts in this thread were people repeating what someone else said to try and show their vast classic Nintendo knowledge.

I still like the Yoshi Stampede idea better, but I guess if we're reaching for nostalgia this fits fine. Having just played Charged for the first time today, I definitely see the similarities between the two.

But hey, at least it wasn't a giant egg-bomb. Because then I'd owe my friend $5

:yoshi:

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
I'm sorry everyone, I really wanted to resolve the issue about Yoshi's FS and where it came from, so I played through a small section in SMW, recorded it, and uploaded it on YouTube.

Here's the link.

You'll see Yoshi perform all three abilities that are granted from the Red, Blue, and Yellow shells.

~Old Man Nintendo

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yep.. That's pretty dang lame. The Yoshi stampede was perfect.. Yoshi isn't a fire breathing dragon, he's a dinosaur that is abstractly shaped.

Gtfaway from my yoshi.

:(:yoshi:
Yoshi was breathing fire since Mario 64 Ds

I was expecting something themed around eggs Woo Para-Yoshi

Adventurous

Smash Rookie
I'm wondering whether or not Yoshi can use his regular attacks while flying. If so, he could do some pretty cool combos and, if he's fast enough, juggle opponents off the stage. (hit up > chase with flight > hit opponent higher in midair > chase and hit opponent to edge of screen > hit the opponent out) I'm also curious if Yoshi will be resistant to attacks while flying.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I giggled when most of the posts in this thread were people repeating what someone else said to try and show their vast classic Nintendo knowledge.
i wasn't trying to show my vast nintendo knowledge, i was just showing that Link is pretty much getting the shaft right there and i feel sorry for him

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
i wasn't trying to show my vast nintendo knowledge, i was just showing that Link is pretty much getting the shaft right there and i feel sorry for him
Oh, nono. That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular ^^

Yoshi was breathing fire since Mario 64 Ds
Earlier than that, but what's your point? I don't recall saying he never had such abilities before -- what I meant was that he shouldn't be considered a dragon (see title) and instead, an oddly shaped dinosaur that just makes absolutely no sense.

I still think the wings would work better as fluffy, less pristine and sharp as they are now. Don't change the color of whatever, just make them poofy. That would be fitting, at least, I think so.
Yeah, I kind of agree. They should be a lot fluffyer and round. Ah well ;p

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
I was for the stampede idea before but liked this way better really, I loved SMW and it's great to see Yoshi being able to handle things on his own, without needing 3000 other Yoshi's. Anyway, the only bad thing I saw was that he doesn't keep the Smashball in his mouth, that would be so cool.

LNKD

Smash Apprentice
Quoted for truth.

In ancient lore, Dragons were actually the spawn of Hell, even comparable to demons, which explained thier fire breath: the opening of they're mouths would summon hellfire upon all the dragon's foes.*

But, modern day Dragons are far from anything you'd find from Hell. "Dragon Tales" stands as proof more than anything for this conversion to the light side for dragons. And Yoshi's utilization of "angel" wings, as opposed to the more classical "serpentine" ones, serves to further hint that the Super Dragon Yoshi (as the classical Green Yoshi was originally called) may have actually been a Heaven-sent ally to Mario and friends. And I love Yoshi as a charactor all the more for it, no matter how "clumsy" it makes him look. (I can hardly picture him with serpentine wings, and personally belive angel wings look far better on him, anyways.)

Though . . . that does leave the question of where he gets the fire from. Too many spicy foods, eh? ;)

(Also, I do belive the Yellow power from will also be implemented somehow, though I don't know how . . . stronger ground-pounds? Automatic ground-pounding upon touchdown?)

Yoshi has always been my favorite charactor (especially to play as) in the Mario games. I may just pick him up more often in Brawl, as well. His famous tounge may be made in to a Tether Recovery, for all we know! XD

(I'll have a pretty tough time choosing between him and Tails, my favorite charactor from the Sonic games, in "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games." )

* - In modern fantasy, the "hell-spawned" Dragon still exists, bit it's pretty much now called a Wyrm. YMMV between different realms of fantasy.
that is true !!

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
Quoted for truth.

In ancient lore, Dragons were actually the spawn of Hell, even comparable to demons, which explained thier fire breath: the opening of they're mouths would summon hellfire upon all the dragon's foes.*

But, modern day Dragons are far from anything you'd find from Hell. "Dragon Tales" stands as proof more than anything for this conversion to the light side for dragons. And Yoshi's utilization of "angel" wings, as opposed to the more classical "serpentine" ones, serves to further hint that the Super Dragon Yoshi (as the classical Green Yoshi was originally called) may have actually been a Heaven-sent ally to Mario and friends. And I love Yoshi as a charactor all the more for it, no matter how "clumsy" it makes him look. (I can hardly picture him with serpentine wings, and personally belive angel wings look far better on him, anyways.)

Though . . . that does leave the question of where he gets the fire from. Too many spicy foods, eh? ;)

(Also, I do belive the Yellow power from will also be implemented somehow, though I don't know how . . . stronger ground-pounds? Automatic ground-pounding upon touchdown?)

Yoshi has always been my favorite charactor (especially to play as) in the Mario games. I may just pick him up more often in Brawl, as well. His famous tounge may be made in to a Tether Recovery, for all we know! XD

(I'll have a pretty tough time choosing between him and Tails, my favorite charactor from the Sonic games, in "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games." )

* - In modern fantasy, the "hell-spawned" Dragon still exists, bit it's pretty much now called a Wyrm. YMMV between different realms of fantasy.

>_> Okay even though I agree with most of this post. Because dragons are my favorite mythological creature I must seriously disagree with the first part of this post.

Dragon's didn't originate as hell spawned beasts. They were originally used as a vague description for any type of serpentine monster. Their existance predates the Bible. Just because the Bible incidently associates the devil as a Dragon a few times doesn't mean that the Bible is the first or the correrct representation of Dragons in european mythology. There are examples of people respecting dragons even in European culture, albeit it is extremely rare compared to asian depictions. Some examples of respect for dragons in european cultures includes their use as heraldry charges, the flag of Wales, and even as gods in some ancient religons.

For the most part a dragon's apearance changed drastically depending on who you asked. Other sources often attribute dragons to have multiple heads, poisonous blood or breath, living close or in large sources of water, and either being extremely intelligent or completely mindless. Even feathers were up for discussion. Some people consider Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec God, to be a dragon, or at least to have some dragon-ish aspects. His name meant the feathered serpant. Breathing fire and wings were not common elements of Dragon Lore although they did exist. Neither were hordes of treasure. The idea of a fire breathing winged dragon that hordes treasure is the modern day establishment. Started with Tolkien creating Smaug in the Hobbit. There was no consistant description of what made a dragon before then. To some extent, there still isn't.

Sorry, for rambling but it just erks me when people say that Dragons originated as the devil.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nice post, GDhunter95.

I very much like this update, as I haven't played SMW in years(but I have to save my current money for games I want more, and SMW isn't CURRENTLY amongst them, unfortunately). Anyway, the Yoshi stampede might've originated from Melee, but the first time it was actually used as an attack(to my knowledge, mind you) was one of Yoshi's FP moves on Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

I didn't even notice the double update at first. I update a topic on a board I visit with everything except basic special moves for every character. They're something that people should either a) visit the site for or b) wait for the game to come out.

Either way, both Dragons(Wyrms, Wyverns, and others) and Yoshis rule.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
>_> Okay even though I agree with most of this post. Because dragons are my favorite mythological creature I must seriously disagree with the first part of this post.

Dragon's didn't originate as hell spawned beasts. They were originally used as a vague description for any type of serpentine monster. Their existance predates the Bible. Just because the Bible incidently associates the devil as a Dragon a few times doesn't mean that the Bible is the first or the correrct representation of Dragons in european mythology. There are examples of people respecting dragons even in European culture, albeit it is extremely rare compared to asian depictions. Some examples of respect for dragons in european cultures includes their use as heraldry charges, the flag of Wales, and even as gods in some ancient religons.

For the most part a dragon's apearance changed drastically depending on who you asked. Other sources often attribute dragons to have multiple heads, poisonous blood or breath, living close or in large sources of water, and either being extremely intelligent or completely mindless. Even feathers were up for discussion. Some people consider Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec God, to be a dragon, or at least to have some dragon-ish aspects. His name meant the feathered serpant. Breathing fire and wings were not common elements of Dragon Lore although they did exist. Neither were hordes of treasure. The idea of a fire breathing winged dragon that hordes treasure is the modern day establishment. Started with Tolkien creating Smaug in the Hobbit. There was no consistant description of what made a dragon before then. To some extent, there still isn't.

Sorry, for rambling but it just erks me when people say that Dragons originated as the devil.
Well, thank you for setting me straight, then. And in a very calm and organised manner, too. That's hard to find on forums nowadays, you know.

And, I know there were many different incarnations of the Dragon: Asian Dragons, for example, were considered to be divine more than anything. (Upon hindsight, I can't belive I completely forgot to mention those. I was thinking more along the lines of the Western Wyrm.)

I never said anything about hoarding treasure, though; my main arguement was that, today, Dragons are looked up to today more than those that saw Dragons as beings from Hell, fit to be slain by the pious knight. Quite the opposite is seen in the DragonHeart movies, the Inheritance trilogy (excluding the Forsworn's Dragons, of course), and Pokemon, to some extent (Dratini's evolutionary line in particular makes me smile every time I see its members). And let's not forget Yoshi.

Thanks for setting me straight on different views of Dragons throughout history, though.

LBB

Smash Rookie
wrong topic dangit.

1st post still.

uhm yeah i can post in some places but not others >.<
my account hasnt been activated.

can someone PM me to tell me whats wrong >.> it hasnt been activated and ive been regidtered since last year.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
wrong topic dangit.

1st post still.

uhm yeah i can post in some places but not others >.<
my account hasnt been activated.

can someone PM me to tell me whats wrong >.> it hasnt been activated and ive been regidtered since last year.
Click on the activation code that was in the email you got after you registered.

Farca

Smash Cadet
Ya his Final Smash looks awesome. Depending how it controls tho will determine how well it works.

LBB

Smash Rookie
Click on the activation code that was in the email you got after you registered.
lol what happens if i deleted it?

i think iwas deleting a lot of email and uhmm i accidentally deleted it.

can i get it resended?

edit: somehow i can post in dojo updates. (or at least this thread -.-)

Dokuro

Smash Ace
lol what happens if i deleted it?

i think iwas deleting a lot of email and uhmm i accidentally deleted it.

can i get it resended?

edit: somehow i can post in dojo updates. (or at least this thread -.-)
Probably. I think there's a resend option somewhere in the user CP, maybe.

Top Bottom