• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi egg tech - ban from competitive play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngusTheMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Lexproco
3DS FC
4871-3301-6748
SSB4, since launch day, is notorious for its many game breaking (and often times hilarious) glitches. One in particular is a Yoshi egg tech (more of a glitch, oversight even) that involves using egg throw that can teleport Yoshi onto a ledge. Should stuff like this be banned?

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Nah, no need to ban, at least not yet. Maybe Nintendo will patch it up in the future, but let us keep it unless the majority think it's broken.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
In the context "broken" is being used, it's derived from a Sirlinist critique of rulessets.

Banning the Yoshi glitch would be an issue under the "merit" prong of the critique. Given that Yoshi's aren't winning tournaments across the country, it's probably not a game breaking glitch (to the point of making the game unplayable or devolving into a strictly dominant strategy) thus does not merit banning.

Last edited:

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Wario momentum-shift glitch is way more game-breaking than any of Yoshi's.

T0MMY

Smash Master
In the context "broken" is being used, it's derived from a Sirlinist critique of rulessets.

Banning the Yoshi glitch would be an issue under the "merit" prong of the critique. Given that Yoshi's aren't winning tournaments across the country, it's probably not a game breaking glitch (to the point of making the game unplayable or devolving into a strictly dominant strategy) thus does not merit banning.
You said exactly what I wanted to and very well worded.
I like the link provided, although I disagree with Sirlin's description of "Discrete" and instead prefer "Identifiable". It's not much of a change, but it is easier for people to remember the criteria, not because it is discrete (difficult to find) but because it is actually easy to figure out when it is happening.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
"Well-defined" is also a good, alternative way of putting it.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
This bug doesn't exist in the Wii U version of the game, and likely will be removed in the 1.0.4 patch for 3DS.

The only bug I've been able to replicate so far on Wii U is Palutena's Lightweight bug, but afaik that's a relatively more recent discovery and I wouldn't be surprised if a patch fixes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom