• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi board doing a Link matchup thread

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I know nothing about Yoshi. All I know is that he has a better second jump than Link but Link has a better projectile game. Eggs ftl.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I was just about to post this, myself. It would be nice to get some Link players' opinions on this match-up, since it's VERY highly disputed over at the Yoshi boards.

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
The only things that I know about Yoshi is that his second jump is godly and his Up+B isn't useful for recovering at all.

~Saint~

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
The only things that I know about Yoshi is that his second jump is godly and his Up+B isn't useful for recovering at all.

~Saint~
Bad for recovery, but an excellent staller that really throws you off. If you watch my video vs DEF you will know exactly what I mean; he would stall right above me to avoid the UpB or Fsmash I would have planned for him. Technically he could have punished me easily, but he's not a technical player so he doesn't know he could have punished me. :p
His uair is awesome, you should never underestimate that move. ftilt to fsmash is awesome. Yoshi has equal spamming capabilities with Link, but where Link does better at midrange Yoshi rocks at long distance spamming in this matchup.

I should post this over there. But I won't.

Ok yoshis Up B is good for recovery, he should save his second jump so he can get his SA frames during the time link can hit him, i dont know how many wrong played yoshis have fallen in to death because of run off aerials by me. Besides yoshis spam dont create as much pressure as links spam(not what I have experienced anyway) its actually quite easy to avoid, reactions sheild the first egg, then you spot dodge the next and starts approaching with SHADs(remember link can zair right out this. IMO yoshi is worse than link. Link has better range, spam, and at least equal speed. He can gimp yoshi just as good yoshi can gimp link.

65:35 link IMO but then I havent met a single good yoshi I think, so Id be happy to be proven wrong.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I've done some testing and I got to say I am kinda surprised.

Link can't space Yoshi that well. Yoshi's got the speed go get inside both from the ground and air. His tilts come out crazy fast.

Yea Dair ***** his recovery but Dragonic Reverse and his Hyphen smash make it pretty hard to space him. Not only that. He can chain grab Link. Add that to pivot grabs and holy crap.

What do you guys think?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
You are definitely correct. Yoshi is extremely difficult to space correctly, and so long as he avoids using moves like the egg roll he can really hurt Link.
The only plus side I can really think of is the fact that Yoshi's fair spike is hard to pull off on Link because we tend to recover low, and its difficult for Yoshi to reach us and not risk death themselves. But Yoshi has about ten other moves that make up for that, not the least of which is, of course, Yoshi's UpB, which he can safely gimp us with from on the stage.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Yoshi is one of those characters you hope your opponent doesn't know how to use properly...I know a really good Yoshi named Ludren. He seems to leave a trail of the broken fighting spirits of his opponents...

Although, Yoshi's weakness is footstooling.

sasook

Smash Champion
Although, Yoshi's weakness is footstooling.
I PM'd Shiri when he said the Yoshi boards know how to get around footstooling. This is what he said:

Shiri said:
Well, there are a few ways.

First, we have airdodging through opponents, which is probably the simplest and safest option, even if predictable airdodges are punishable with attacks, we've at least avoided the footstool.

Another way is to perform any aerial (preferably up air), since if you're footstooled in the middle of any animation besides your freefall and regular jumps, the opponent will still hop off of you, but you won't be sent into a tumbling animation.

Other options include taking footstools while not in the double jump yet and then jumping out of the tumbling animation there. Yoshi can use the Egg Toss as a way to make his way back to the stage from afar without using the double jump for this. Yoshi can also "directionalize" his jump (for lack of a better word) by turning around as he jumps or using his aerial speed to weave around opposing players in midair.

Unfortunately, the mass view on Yoshi's double jump is that it does one thing in one direction and is easy to stop all the time, when none of those views is very close to true. Yoshi's double jump is indeed capable of all these things and remains one of the most consistently successful forms of recovery in this game, I believe.

Hopefully this has answered your question. If you need anything else, let me know.

Mmac

Smash Lord
We'll, we're discussing Regular Link again (Along with that other one...)

Anyways, If you want to contribute, that'll be fine.

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
Aw come on, you got some respectable midtiers (ZSS).
Hmm....she's okay but her whip is so annoying it just messes up my Link so bad...she has great combos too..i mean srsly try playing ZSS then immedietly switching to Link....its so...weird?

sasook

Smash Champion
Hmm....she's okay but her whip is so annoying it just messes up my Link so bad...she has great combos too..i mean srsly try playing ZSS then immedietly switching to Link....its so...weird?
Dude....I second ZSS, I switch back and forth all the time lol

Bouse

Smash Ace
What's the difference? Space with Side+B instead of Zair. Spam with Neut B instead of bombs/arrows. Not to mention she has a half decent jab cancel, which if you're used to Jab Cancel->Utilt should be awesome for you.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, Bouse you could play like that, though I prefer an aggressive ZSS myself. And Snakeee says aggressive > defensive when it comes to ZSS, but that's not why I like aggressiveness. I just like her combo ability.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
All I can say is OMFG Crei! Now that's a Yoshi player. >_>

I really don't think I can take an accurate guess at the match up; but with experience from playing Crei, it's that Yoshi is NOT to be underestimated. Mayhaps a 50:50 is in order.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
All I can say is OMFG Crei! Now that's a Yoshi player. >_>

I really don't think I can take an accurate guess at the match up; but with experience from playing Crei, it's that Yoshi is NOT to be underestimated. Mayhaps a 50:50 is in order.
dude i played him for a online tourney match over the summer, lost to him 2-1 he was good till he started camping/ up b spamming <__<

Now Green Ace is one epic yoshi if i say so myself....

Top Bottom