• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yo-yo Spike (with video)

Masky

Smash Master
I don't know exactly what's going on in this video but it was awesome

Last edited:

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
This is known however you must wait until invincibility wears off. Sort of like a yo yo edge guard. All you have to do is run towards the ledge and use the yo yo so that it starts on the ground but charges off the edge. What happens is that the person is pushed toward the stage and is stage spiked

Masky

Smash Master
Glad you guys liked it. Too bad that the opponent would have to just hang on the ledge while you're running up to them (or you could pivot I guess, but still)... Most experienced players will not stay on the ledge long enough for their invincibility runs out under normal circumstances if you're attacking them.

The reason why I said that I didn't know exactly what was going on was because at first glance I thought Ness's yoyo might send people downwards if they hit the bottom of it during a certain frame period (when it's "crawling" out). Sadly I'm pretty sure that this isn't true :/

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
LOLWTF. I never knew this. Yoyo is officially one of his best moves and nobody can convince me I'm wrong.

Lustful_Envy

Smash Rookie
This would never work against an expierienced player. seriously I wouldnt hang to the ledge and wait for my opponent to kill me that way.

3Years

Smash Lord
ok so your sayin that your opponent no's that your gunna hit him on the edge with an up smash???

no...most people dont no wut the yoyo can do so they dont expect you 2 do a running up smash

it works not all the time but if u time n space yourself u can pull it off

trust me ^___^

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Alright, time to clear up all the mess here.

A: The Yoyo does not spike, Ness's yoyo sends your opponent into the stage, which then spikes them.

B: This happens in two forms, what you saw up there which requires very precise spacing and works when the opponent is trying to get up off the ledge(Not sure how many ledge recoveries work, for example, it might not spike him if he ledgehops or ledge rolls or does certain ledge attacks, if anyone figures out the correct spacing well enough, we can test all that later).
The second form is when the opponent is off the stage and is trying to grab the ledge, if you roll the yoyo so it hangs off the stage at the correct height, and the opponent hits it at a close enough angle, it will stage spike them, I've done this 2-3 times before.

C: This is not useless, if only for the fact that even if the yoyo doesn't spike, it will still pop the enemy up, giving you the chance to do any of several attacks, it's not an edgeguard but it can turn into some damage.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Any of Ness's aerials > pathetic non N64 yoyos
WTF? Ness' yo-yo is one of his BEST moves. It does not suck, and I like it just as much as 64. Sure, it lacks the same power and priority, but it's new ability to charge is so lovely. I spam this move so much. I agree with thesage on this one.

And anyways, this is not impossible to pull off. It is common for people to drop off the ledge and double jump back on. If you dash and charge the yo-yo, it hangs off the edge and people who drop down lose their invincibility before they can double jump out of the way. THey get popped up, they get stage spiked, they die lol.

PK~Master

Smash Rookie
Wow. I was actually brawling with Earthbound and his friend when I did that same exact yo-yo spike on his friend (Earthbound it happened the game after you left or disconnected).

That was really funny. He just went straight down after hitting my yo-yo. I guess it's not that hard to pull off after all. He was a good Ness player too, thus proving the point that this doesn't work only against nOObz.

Thanks for an awesome match Earthbound!!!!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
:laugh:

Aww man really? I mised it? DARN!

THis guy named Mangme (Kstar) wanted to play me so I promised him after one more FFA, we'd play so I left. But MAN, I missed it!?

GGs also PK Master. You're really good :)
Glad you enjoyed playing Chunk (I forget who that is on Smashboards at the moment though)

PK~Master

Smash Rookie
Looks like we did it huh, Earthbound?
Did you record that match? I can send it to you if you didnt. Perhaps we should post it on youtube as well ;-)
lolz good games Earthbound, you're a really talented PK fighter!

May the PSI be with you.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I have AIM
Mikman360

Thanks for getting the vid, cuz I didn't.
I promise I'll add you today, sorry >.<

acojan

Smash Apprentice
omg cool ! this looks really usefull ! oh well hi every! Im new here on the ness boards as i decided to learn him ! he looks like lots of fun !

Top Bottom