• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide YLink's Official Stage Ban and Counter Pick Guide!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Ummm... double stick DI doesn't help against grabs. The point of double stick DI is so that you get ASDI and trajectory DI but throws (except for Jigglypuff's fthrow) don't provide hitlag that allows you to SDI, and so you don't get ASDI either.

EDIT: This explanation coulda been better, but you get the gist of it.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
If you actually need to ban a stage against Mewtwo, you are bad.
lol, im not a y.link player by any means; but if you come across a good m2, it's a good idea to have one.

__

But yeah, just going off that quote alone, I could say the same thing about y.link. XD

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
lol

there are so few Mewtwo's. luckily Dogy and I have experienced the devil that is Iori's M2

and well, Y.Link isn't the hottest dice around either, but stages do matter still, I guess.

I'd go Destination on M2, myself. Maybe Stadium. I dunno...

Laijin

Smash Hero
My M2 experience is like Iori's M2 and MookieRah's.
You ban YS against M2 since pretty much all of his kills will be from grabs. And M2 actually has really good grabs. Besides that, playing a stage that is large just makes the match a lot more easier. M2 can easily kill YL with a grab. Its ******** really. So thats my logic behind banning YS against M2.
-Its small
-Low ceiling + walls
With YS banned. You have nothing to fear from M2. Just pick a big stage and you will NEVER LOSE EVERRRRRR(with proper spam and such).

Against Mario. I ban YS because of the same reason I do so against M2. Small stage + easy kills for Mario. Although the last time I played against Green Mario's Mario YS was not that bad of a choice. But it does give him a slight advantage which is why I choose to ban it.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I tend to take Mario to Battlefield or Stadium, myself.

Anyone ever dropped a bomb on Stadium's ledge, and Mario up-b's into the explosion and gets semi-spiked? looks so funny. There's one clip of that in mah vid-ee-o, once my editor gets some free time we'll finish/release it...

rhan

Smash Hero
My M2 experience is like Iori's M2 and MookieRah's.
You ban YS against M2 since pretty much all of his kills will be from grabs. And M2 actually has really good grabs. Besides that, playing a stage that is large just makes the match a lot more easier. M2 can easily kill YL with a grab. Its ******** really. So thats my logic behind banning YS against M2.
-Its small
-Low ceiling + walls
With YS banned. You have nothing to fear from M2. Just pick a big stage and you will NEVER LOSE EVERRRRRR(with proper spam and such).
Even with that logic I still would rather take a Mewtwo to YS. Big stage isn't bad either. But Yoshi's just seems like it would be a bit easier to gimp and such. I think Japes is the best ban if the Mewtwo is a tricky one. Forward B glich happens on every single ledge and once caught in it there is little hope on returning. Unless it's being done on the right side of the stage. Then the chances of returing go up slightly. Also the High top and the close side death zones don't help the matchup in Young Link's favor.

Against Mario. I ban YS because of the same reason I do so against M2. Small stage + easy kills for Mario. Although the last time I played against Green Mario's Mario YS was not that bad of a choice. But it does give him a slight advantage which is why I choose to ban it.
I'd agree with this. Yoshi's is a good Mario stage for stupidity.

*Mini update*

rhan

Smash Hero
Against Sheik it's pretty much over at a small stage. That stage isn't all that small, but a Young Link doesn't have any options really. Camping can olny get you so far until the Sheik runs up on you while there is no space behind you to run for back up. If we try to get by her by jumping above that can always get intercepted. Stadium is probably the best placeto choose against Sheik. There is that possibility to camp projectiles and get away with it. Plus it's pretty big with platforms and stage variations. It should do Young Link some good to choose there.

rhan

Smash Hero
Even though it's been a few months I've updated. Link, Roy, Peach, and Yoshi.

Link:
Against Link it's best to counterpick Battlefield. Why? Because the stage kills his option to hookshot. So knocking him off will force him to up B. Also It's harder to hookshot for him and if he does it's easy to punish him for it. Just grab the edge to he doesn't get it when he zips up and punish him at that point.

Roy:
Counterpick Final againts Roy because it's easy to camp him there. Since he's slow he can't keep up like he wants to and we can wipe the floor with him. Jump over him and drop a bomb to get around him and bomb chuck n boomerang his face when running towards the edges.

Peach:
Peach's best stage officially is Mute City. Ban it on sight. She can just easily D-smash us off and due to our predictable recoveries she can just safely float cancel off bair. The stage kills our hookshot recovery and being able to grab the edge. Overall bad for a Young Link player. Between Dreamland and Mute. Ban Mute for sure.

Yoshi:
I actually recently played a decent Yoshi and for some reason Yoshi can possibly out camp Young Link. Poke' Floats is the stage counterpicked against me. Yoshi can retreat well and hit you with his eggs at the same time. Because the stage basically moves towards the left and downward the eggs often will catch a Young Link off gaurd. Also Yoshi's light shield is an amazing way to actually... get away fast. It's tricky because you don't know that he's light shielding until you hit him. I attacked his light shield with a d-smash and he flew to the other side of slowpoke.... Also it didn't help that the match was draged out to an amazing 6 minutes... Moral of the story. Ban Floats.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Stadium works for most of chars
helps you a lot with your camping against most top tiers
i wouldnt chose a stage that dont have where to hookshot grab, since is a nice optional recovery.
maybe some stages like "corneria against jigs" are ok, since she will die in low%.
i dont like FD too much, its fun, but ylinks projectile game is a bit laggy, fast chars like fox/falcon can abuse that, but on stadium, plats will help a looot since they can't approach from upwards if you do it correctly.

battlefield....i wouldn't recomend that, whats good about it :/?.
other counterpicks like brinstar, kongo jungle 64, jungle japes, bye hookshot :( easy gimps (shines, Meteors, Dtilts, etc.)

yoshi story against floaties, and you have walljump recovery :)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I agree, Battlefield sucks lol last few tourneys it was my ban stage, even though I really just dislike Fountain a lot... Gotta get used to it.

Brinstar is my favorite stage for YL. Especially against Falco!!! ^_^ I just love the lava. yum.

rhan

Smash Hero
From my experience, Yoshi doesn't like Final Destination. But I like to go Stadium vs him and most anyone really. Avoid Dreamland vs Yoshi.
I see where you're comming from when you say Dreamland should be a ban. But counterpick FD? We might be able to camp but that only does so much when we need to get close to finish. Pokemon Stadium is the best stage we got to avoid some BS eggs. Stage changes can eff up his way of camping and edge guarding shouldn't be difficult to do.

Stadium works for most of chars
helps you a lot with your camping against most top tiers
i wouldnt chose a stage that dont have where to hookshot grab, since is a nice optional recovery.
maybe some stages like "corneria against jigs" are ok, since she will die in low%.
i dont like FD too much, its fun, but ylinks projectile game is a bit laggy, fast chars like fox/falcon can abuse that, but on stadium, plats will help a looot since they can't approach from upwards if you do it correctly.

battlefield....i wouldn't recomend that, whats good about it :/?.
other counterpicks like brinstar, kongo jungle 64, jungle japes, bye hookshot :( easy gimps (shines, Meteors, Dtilts, etc.)

yoshi story against floaties, and you have walljump recovery :)
I don't think YLink's projectile game is laggy. It's pretty strong if you use all projectiles in a sequence. FD is probably my favorite stage to choose against Marth/Falcon. I think it's best to have no platforms in those matchups. Staying on the ground is the key to winning those matches.

Battlefield is an amazing stage for stupidity. Especially against Link. His up B recovery isn't as good as our and he relys on his hookshot more than we do. Easy pickings when he's off stage.

Yoshi's wall jump recovery is not worth it in my opinion. One: To possibly do it you have to be way below the stage. Two: Why do it to when your up B can reach the edge easier than just jumping away from the stage possibly setting you up for failure? Yoshi's might do well against floaties but Fountian also does work. Off the top kills and side kills. And the best part is if you're sent too low then you can possibly recover from the bottom with that slim stem that holds the stage up.

I agree, Battlefield sucks lol last few tourneys it was my ban stage, even though I really just dislike Fountain a lot... Gotta get used to it.

Brinstar is my favorite stage for YL. Especially against Falco!!! ^_^ I just love the lava. yum.
I'd go Battlefield over Yoshi's anyday.....

I also don't see how you can play at Brinstar.... I tried in every attempt against Falco and it always ends in disaster...

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Dunno man, I'm pretty weird. Brinstar is just my counterpick. Can't say I have much logic to explain it lol.

I play a Yoshi player quite often down here. I haven't really asked him which stages he dislikes, I only recommend Yoshi's cause that's where I've done best against him. Because, when I play that matchup, I am pretty aggressive (within reason, as in, don't get crouch canceled) and FD helps cause I can chase him down.

Conversely, Y-Story and FoD are... better for him, I think. All the platforms can sometimes hamper your camping, and help his (eggs go up and over... bombs/arrows fall down, etc) Just my experience, dislike the small stages.

Stadium is always the best though, methinks.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
FD against marth is ok
against falcon, prepared to be comboed and kneed in tha face, although i have beaten some falcons, but i would prefer ten times a smaller stage.
i say is laggy because there is startup lag for boomerang (i think its longer than pills, fireballs, needles, lasers), and you have to take out bombs. I have some matches recorded where i get 2 times Usmashed (fox) because he predicted i was throwing the boomerang, and its so **** fast...

i know wall jumps aren't that used, but can become handy when gimped by a shine or a meteor at low %.
why to use hookshot? because UpB is easier to gimp, and more predictable.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Um, Stadium for pick. As usual. We kill up, she kills sideways better, etc. YL always likes Stadium... well except for Fox

Ban? Um, Yoshi's I guess? easier to get killed there by thunder footsies. I dunno, do Zelda's have some secret counterpick level they do well at I'm unaware of? Since apparently, I know nothing of Zelda's true power.

btw, video is done
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247823

rhan

Smash Hero
I hate how spread apart the platforms from the main platform. Also I hate how it almost nearly kills my hookshot recovery.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Hookshot is an optional recovery. I do hate how its harder to tech the ledge in battlefield tho its sometimes GAY. :(

rhan

Smash Hero
Yeah. I think it's just natural instinct that Young/Link players avoid Battlefield altogether.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'd vote Battlefield as my worse stage. Next to Yoshi's. But I've been more comfortable playing at Yoshi's with Young Link.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Battlefield is terrible stage for the youngest of Links. Well, I'm biased as well, because i think it's a junk stage altogether.

rhan

Smash Hero
Since the stage list has changed. THe CP list needs to be changed. COrnaria is no longer a counter pick stage so now we don't have to worry about banning or counterpicking that stage anymore.

Singles

Starter Strike Stage List-
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List-
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Teams

Starter Strike Stage List-
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List-
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

I'll edit all the characters that have that stage as a CP or Ban.

Edit: This post was made so I can revive this discussion. :)

The Tusk

Smash Cadet
I weep when Yoshi's Story is banned from my Y Link. I end up drowning my sorrows in LonLon's comfort milk.

Also, I always feel that Rainbow Cruise is a great counter pick when playing against someone like Ganon or DK (I know...so many DK players on the scene...haha), since he's a slow and heavy guy, it's easy to just run circles around him and own him in approach with bombs, 'rangs, and 'rows (strictly talking after the ship sinks). If I'm playing a floaty, though, I generally pray RC gets banned. Also, I feel like a douche when I pick it, and someone sighs, "ah, f|_|cking Rainbow Cruise. Real cool." All my friends hate it, mwahaha.

I agree, rhan, this discussion needs to get kickin'! Low tier domination in 2010!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Rainbow Cruise seems to be good for him. I can't stand the stage myself but I don't play like a traditional YL player, and for those who do, I can see why Cruise would be good.

I'm still partial to Brinstar for CP but since Stadium is off the random now (...) it will prolly be my only CP

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I never ban Stories, I think it's Y.Links best stage against pretty much anyone.

Imo, FD is his worst. He needs platforms and gets outcamped easier there.

rhan

Smash Hero
Yeah I was starting to think that FD is probably our worse stage for the new stage set. Even though I'm still not fond of Battlefield either....

I guess I should update this again huh? I need to stop being so lazy and spread my time between the community and school work.... >_<

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
hmmm DK64 is a really really really good stage for ylink. the more i play there the more i like it. he never dies and can camp easily.

My fav stages
-Dreamland
-dk64
-pokemon
-yoshis
-brinstar

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
Maybe put the updated changes under the current list for now? It'll at least let us see how much it differs from the previous list. Also I'm down to help discuss this if you want try have an unbiased update.

rhan

Smash Hero
This is so out of date that updating it is almost pointless due to the fact there are only like 6 playable stages now.

Ban FD every game. That's how I roll.

Top Bottom