• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

yet another "Rate my marth"

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
A little before 2:00 in the first match you started charging an Fsmash as DK was falling, you should have charged a shieldbreaker so he wouldn't have been able to shield effectively. At around 2:55 in the first match you Countered and when it went away he got in a free hit. You probably should have dodged or rolled away. Nice edge hog at the end of the last match. More stuff I'm to lazy to look at.

2nd. Match

Right off the bat you ran right into a shield grab, don't be afraid to be patient. A few seconds after that you dash attacked randomly the opposite way of your opponent. At around 1:03 you did a DB at the wrong time and got grabbed, not good.

I'll add on to this if I feel like it.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
I stopped watching when I noticed it was WIFI.

It's a waste to try to "rate" a Marth player based on an online match, neither player is at their full potential and things could have very well gone a different way in a live, real match.

If you really want to know how your Marth stacks up then you need to do offline matches.

Kayn

Smash Cadet
Fsmash less. Grab more. Only fmash and counter when YOU KNOW YOU'LL CONNECT. You get punished otherwise.

2:34 2nd vid: You countered his recovery the wrong way knocking him back onto the stage instead of further away and then you plummeted to your doom from the lag afterwards. I applaud you, sir. clap..clap...

Against DK: Mix up your DB. You always take the standard route. Try doing the down version more. It racks up more damage. Don't rush in. Make him approach. You'll have the advantage.

In general: Calm down. Be more defensive. Think before you do things. Don't be reckless.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
Thanks everyone, and yes.. wifi sucks *** but.. oh well.

And yes i did counter the wrong way >.< and lag made me pummle towards my death (which cost me the game)

and i usually do the down B combo but iunno for some reason i didnt.

and i rewatched it and at 2:55 i dodged his hit after the counter.. soo yeah he didnt get a free hit?

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
Fair more, stop Playing wifi, more tilts,go for the down b Dancing blade Combo,

-

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
The Down-b combo doesn't live up to the hype. It's easily DI'd out of and you'll get punished. For the most part stick with the forward or up version.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Ok, I just watched the 3rd video. You keep trying to f-smash up close, and while hes at very low percents. You do this often, and most of the time he just side steps and you get punished. Your spacing is also off. You should definetly try to incorporate more tilts into your game play. And, tbh you are really predictable. You need to switch up your approach more often. Most of the time I just see fairs or dancing blade. Oh yeah, if you use dancing blade when hes shielding, DONT KEEP ATTACKING HIS SHIELD WITH IT. He just rolled behind you and you got punished. Just stop after you realize hes shielding, then reset your spacing or wait for his roll and punish. You also have a habit of rolling backwards alot when he approaches you, and better people will abuse you for that. And you side step a bit too much. In general, you are really predictable and I suggest you work on that first.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I just watched the 3rd video. You keep trying to f-smash up close, and while hes at very low percents. You do this often, and most of the time he just side steps and you get punished. Your spacing is also off. You should definetly try to incorporate more tilts into your game play. And, tbh you are really predictable. You need to switch up your approach more often. Most of the time I just see fairs or dancing blade. Oh yeah, if you use dancing blade when hes shielding, DONT KEEP ATTACKING HIS SHIELD WITH IT. He just rolled behind you and you got punished. Just stop after you realize hes shielding, then reset your spacing or wait for his roll and punish. You also have a habit of rolling backwards alot when he approaches you, and better people will abuse you for that. And you side step a bit too much. In general, you are really predictable and I suggest you work on that first.

i try not to be predictable.. and.. yeah o.O please describe how im predictable so i kno what i should work on. lol and if u want, suggest how i can be "less" predictable

thanks for the comments.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Why are there so many people that are bashing wifi, yes we all know it sucks, but for some people like me, it's the only way I get matches because sometiems my friends are doing something else and I have yet to get anybody nice enough to tell me about any local tourneys.

Anyway going back on topic... Just finish the DB combos...nothing else I could probably tell you that people haven't already said.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
Why are there so many people that are bashing wifi, yes we all know it sucks, but for some people like me, it's the only way I get matches because sometiems my friends are doing something else and I have yet to get anybody nice enough to tell me about any local tourneys.

Anyway going back on topic... Just finish the DB combos...nothing else I could probably tell you that people haven't already said.

yeah differnt timing on wifi and sometimes its best not to finish xD

Sudsy86_

Smash Ace
No offense, but I don't find you to be particularly good. My main issue is the speed at which you play--it's awfully slow, honestly. My suggestion would be to short hop Fair more ( your opponent's will either be too spaced to grab you easily or they'll be doing everything to avoid you) and dtilt more. Actually, I find dtilt-to-short hop fair to be like bread and butter at times.

You played smart against that DK in not being too aggressive against a close-range character with more power than you, but I don't think your speed could fair well against truly good players of Falco, ROB, Pit, G&W, MK, Lucario, Mario, etc.

My advice would be to develop your tech skill quite a bit more.

(If someone has said these things, my mistake.)

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
welll it was wifi.. and yea i cant do anything too fast so i just do what i can against a DK o.O but thanks for ur advice.. yeah it is true, i can tell the speed difference. i just played a marth ditto and yea... my styles too defencive.. he just spammed shF-air and that all he did and won.. soo yeah >.> and i didnt say i was good =o why do u think im asking for advice lol

thanks.

Sudsy86_

Smash Ace
Lol. Here's something general I'll bring up. With brawl's floaty mechanics, teching people often serves no purpose, because the floatiness isn't keeping them to the ground, unlike on Melee.

Thus, many people can sit back, camp, and spam without much worry of overdoing their spam attacks, because the game is simply slower. Thus, people CAN play highly defensively and out-patience their opponent.

However, if you play to get better, you're not going to win by playing as exclusively conservative as you do. Camping and spamming is probably the best strategy ( except for techy improvisation) in Brawl, but you need to get your blood flowing and really play fast and sort of intense.

Marth is a character who can beat most players without playing fast, because of his move speed, range, and power, but good players are good because they understand the metagames of certain characters. Campers/ spammers are difficult to defeat, regardless of their play speed, but the best players will beat them because they're aware of how dumb their play outside of that strategy is.

In Melee, predictability wasn't too big of an issue because you could naturally combo people because of the strong gravitational pull. Now, it's huge, because you can now avoid any combo, forcing the aggressor to having to improvise and make opponents make mistakes--mindgames.

Unfortunately, I think the DK you were playing wasn't very smart, and that's why you got so many attacks in as you did. If you were playing mine or all the other many good DK's, they would have spot dodged your fsmashes, grabbed you, and comboed you to utter hell.

Develop your "hit and run" game. And when I say that I don't mean hit and then run away to the edge, I mean attacking, dodging a short distance away from opponent, and doing that again quickly. Of course, if you do have a combo opportunity take advantage of it.

Attacking and then fleeding to the edge is just stupid. You can't control the play as much as the circumstances I'm describing if you do anything mindless, HOWEVER effective it might seem. When you stay near your opponent and pressure their shield and general welfare, you are necessarily in control.

Top Bottom