• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yet another PK thunder glitch

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
So me and a friend decided to switch characters for a game, he would play as Ness while I played as Marth, when this glitch occurred.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=CYPbmNM0lZU

Normally PKT would disappear after coming in contact with a surface however this time it seemed stick with the platform before continuing. I would have shrugged this glitch off but I can't help but want to have some sort of explanation for this weird anomaly. I don't see this being a technique as it seems it needs a moving platform though I could be wrong. However if it does not need a moving platform for this to happen one could possibly edgeguard with it.

Seemingly useless, but neat nonetheless.

Uffe

Smash Hero
What you wrote had me thinking about something that had happened earlier tonight. That is really strange and if there is a way of moving the PKT on platforms, then **** I'm going to love platform stages even more. As for my story, my brother was playing as Ness tonight and both of us used PKT, but his just like vanished. That's what I thought this video was going to be about, but it's something else.

By the way, welcome to Smash World Forums.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
looks like to me that, the game doesn't cancel pk thunder if it is broadsided by a platform, it seems to go right through it as if it were never there, i'd bet this works on all moving platforms.

Uffe

Smash Hero
looks like to me that, the game doesn't cancel pk thunder if it is broadsided by a platform, it seems to go right through it as if it were never there, i'd bet this works on all moving platforms.
But does this also work on regular platforms? I mean could it?

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
If it could that would be awesome, but like i said i think its caused because the platform broadsides PKT

Meian

Smash Cadet
In one of the combo videos there is also one where on Battlefield the PK Thunder went through the corner of the stage and hit Ness to do PK2. Perhaps almost the same thing happened here

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the welcome.

If the tourney I'm going to ends early I will go ahead and see if I can consistently replicate it tonight. I'll try what Meian suggested first which is stages with moving platforms then if I can get it to work there I will go on to see if it can happen on stages like Battlefield and so on.

Neb

Smash Lord
Pit, Falco and Fox have this thing where there projectiles stick to the tip of some ledges, if hit at a certain sweet-spot. This could be similar, but by the way it looked, you'd probably have to balance it on the edge somehow. Just a suggestion.

Very weird. :dizzy:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Wow, that's really cool.

There's something I need to tell you guys about since this may be a cause of it. I have managed to get an INSTANT PKT2 once. It was on the underside of Lylat Cruise (which moves). Now, the only way to get PKT is to hit yourself with PKT after a small loop, but not when this glitch occurs. It seems like the PKT doesn't even leave Ness and RIGHT after PKT, you get PKT2.

The way I did this was going right under Lylat as it moved and use PKT. I can only assume that the thunder was pushed into me by the stage, but PKT is supposed to go away when it hits something right? Well, maybe the glitch Im talking about is caused by the glitch you guys are talking about.

One more thing though, this has happened to a Lucas on FD once. FD doesnt move of course, so could it be that the moving stage isnt the cause? I was theorizing that it was the slopes because Lucas (or Ness) may have slid down the slanted edge of the stage as it happened.

Could they be related?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
This looks like it could be very useful on that ****ed platform on Smashville.

Now to think of a way to effectively use it...

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
I've tried replicate the glitch today on smashville and after 30 minutes I only managed it once. I also tried to quite abit on the platforms for Battlefield but to no avail. Something tells me there are more factors going into making this glitch that it seems. If anyone else wants to try and see if they can get better results feel free.

Wow, that's really cool.

There's something I need to tell you guys about since this may be a cause of it. I have managed to get an INSTANT PKT2 once. It was on the underside of Lylat Cruise (which moves). Now, the only way to get PKT is to hit yourself with PKT after a small loop, but not when this glitch occurs. It seems like the PKT doesn't even leave Ness and RIGHT after PKT, you get PKT2.

The way I did this was going right under Lylat as it moved and use PKT. I can only assume that the thunder was pushed into me by the stage, but PKT is supposed to go away when it hits something right? Well, maybe the glitch Im talking about is caused by the glitch you guys are talking about.

One more thing though, this has happened to a Lucas on FD once. FD doesnt move of course, so could it be that the moving stage isnt the cause? I was theorizing that it was the slopes because Lucas (or Ness) may have slid down the slanted edge of the stage as it happened.

Could they be related?
If this was the cause of the instant PKT2 then this glitch is could more useful then I first imagined. I say this is worth looking into. If anyone finds an easier means of pulling this glitch off by all means let us know.

tnt055

Smash Rookie
Not really sure, but the instant PKT2 may have been caused from...like, I'unno. But if you take a running start, and use PKT almost instantly, then you sort of glide into your PKT resulting in a really fast PKT2...not really sure though...I'll find the vid...if I can find it...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Not really sure, but the instant PKT2 may have been caused from...like, I'unno. But if you take a running start, and use PKT almost instantly, then you sort of glide into your PKT resulting in a really fast PKT2...not really sure though...I'll find the vid...if I can find it...
EB360's response is a little vague... ? Anyway from what you wrote, it sounds like an attempt to do a thunderslide with Ness. If Ness attempts to do a thunderslide he'll fly upward while Lucas will fly downward. This is especially risky for Ness to do because his PKT doesn't go through characters. So dashing off the stage to PKT into PKT2 back to the stage is very dangerous but also awesome if you can hit people with it. That's what it sounds like you're saying. You're probably talking about something totally different, though.

Masky

Smash Master
Okay, I was playing some friendlies today at a friend's house and someone playing Snake used the mortar and it landed on the right edge of the platform in Smashville, just like PK Thunder in this video. And the mortar just sat there on the edge without exploding, staying on the edge even while the platform was moving (it eventually exploded). It seems this effect does not only apply to PK Thunder

Top Bottom