• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yeah... About that Stage Control...

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
So I know that good Snakes are supposed to find opportunities to get C4 on one side of the stage and a mine on the other to get good control of the stages edges, force the opponent in towards you, and then use your superior close combat to finish him.

About that.... I'm having major problems getting mines set. The only really good time (as evidenced by the pros) to properly set a mine is after you land a KO and the opponent is respawning. I see Psychomidget do it all the time: he lands a kill and goes straight to an edge to plant a mine.

Anyway, the person I play seems to be strictly opposed to mines on the stage. I land a kill, go plant a mine, and he comes back with his invincibility frames to blow up the mine. It's the first thing he ever does, and it's annoying the crap out of me.

Is anyone else having a problem properly including the mine in Snake's gameplay? I guess I could use it for an edgeguard, and I should get into the habit of that...

Spidah

Smash Apprentice
Well there isn't anything you can do about that, just try to plant your mine at a different time, like for instance during your opponent's recovery if you are sure that you won't be able to edgeguard him efficiently.

Invincibility frames are a *****, but we have to deal with it.

Farago

Smash Rookie
You can knock your opponent off the stage and plant mines. Remote mines shouldn't be a problem planting, as you can do that in the middle of a match, or when your sent up in the air. As for proximity mines, many times you can protect yourself with a motor then start planting. If the opponent hits you up close, chances are the motor will hit him. You can also drop grenades and roll back and plant a mine.

As for your opponent destroying your mine with his invincibility frame, here's a good trick. Plant one on one side of the stage, then perform a motor slide to the other end. As your opponent rushes to other end to destroy the mine, start planting a new one. This is great as your opponent just wasted his invincibility frame.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
First off, if they bother to disarm it, they usually waste their invincibility frames in the process. So all the better for you.

A nice trick is if you see them going to disarm it, begin planting one on your side. The one they go to disarm will disappear and you'll have a new one right at your feet, AND they'll have wasted their invincibility frames.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Sweet, thanks guys.
So pretty much I'll plant one, run to the other side, and prepare to plant a new one if they destroy the first. Awesome.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Yup, I usually don't mind when they destroy the mines since they're just wasting their invincibility frames anyway. It's win win.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
As for your opponent destroying your mine with his invincibility frame, here's a good trick. Plant one on one side of the stage, then perform a motor slide to the other end. As your opponent rushes to other end to destroy the mine, start planting a new one. This is great as your opponent just wasted his invincibility frame.
A nice trick is if you see them going to disarm it, begin planting one on your side. The one they go to disarm will disappear and you'll have a new one right at your feet, AND they'll have wasted their invincibility frames.
These.

Also for general stage control, try to limit yourself to only the dsmash. Save your C4 for recoveries, unless your certain it serves a purpose in some plan. Grenades work for some temporary stage control and force them to roll or whatever.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
True, though a C4 near the edge is a good deterrent for some people who like to edge guard. I usually try to toss a grenade in (and then see what they do before I decide to detontate it or not).

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Well, as long as you can recover without coming close to the stage, you can go ahead and use your C4 however you want. I find the mine useless most of the time. It's VERY easy to perfect shield. You can break it when invincible from ledge or angel platform. I mean, I still plant it. However, you can't really pressure someone against it, because they can take a split second to go destroy it with a shield cancelled run.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
um, I don't use snake (yet), but wouldn't upsmash work as a deterrent while you are placing the mine? just charge the d-smash so that you place the mine after the mortar comes down.

Prolly doesn't work, but meh >_<

Top Bottom