• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xeno: The Pokemon Trainer Master (except for Squirtle)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I'll be straightforward and to the point: I'm simply better then the vast majority of you. At sucking. There is no way that you can beat my Pokemon Trainer, because it's simply too good. Assuming you use Ganondorf. If you want to get better, you'll watch these videos. Better at failing, of course.

Listed from Newest to Oldest. The newest ones are conveniently highlighted for you in a reddish color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNqzEXcj7S0 (vs. Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urs_ZB_OmXQ (vs. Snake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzwnIbUT4c4 (vs. MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0QesJYs1Es (vs. Wolf)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9kJgEJ9Q58 (vs. Wolf)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FYpY7ScAK8 (vs. Wolf)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbnKlVt6uhQ (vs. Wolf)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ahHA2Nku5Q (vs. Ganondorf)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4DGPmaQ9Qg (vs. Ganondorf)

Right now, after watching those, I know you're probably close to euphoria. From laughter. However, I have to ask that you try your best to contain your never-ending praise and post it in an acceptable manner. Such as a clever ASCII of a middle finger. Thank you, and good day.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Just watched the first couple... and i like your play style. A lot like my own. Love the spikes.

Although PT versus a MK is just plain tough.. so props for competing.

Do need to work on mixing in jabs and grabs with squirtle though. Trying to think what else... but i've got nothing right now.. Solid PT keep it up.. I may get vids up sometime of mine

Oh yeah... work on doing the change at the right moments.. like when they are fatigued or when you knock them off the stage. Try not to change when they have the change to charge a smash.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Squirtle is easily my worst pokemon (IMO), so any Squirtle help would really be appreciated. Thanks, fire_wulf!

Runnerboy885

Smash Rookie
Squirtle's Down Grab......abuse it
haha you don't look too bad with him. I'd recommend throwing in so grabs and one of the things with squirtle is to hardly be on the ground (unless your hydroplaning) other than that your looking really good

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Sweet, thanks for the compliment. Yo, how would you say I rank compared to some of the other PTs here? I'm tryin to see if I should ditch Falco and use PT as my main or not <_<

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I think alot of pts boast imo, I think most posting are about average. I havent seen anyone deserve the "great" label but your good imo. i make pt my main just because he needs the extra time. Like the guy above said you look pretty solid once your squirtles up. Plus not alot of pt mains its fun when you whup some arse.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
haha, I was just jokin when i was boastin, read the non-bold parts

but thanks for the compliment :p

washy

Smash Apprentice
Yay, some one else who likes to spike with zard. Can you post a video vs falco? I've been having trouble with him lately using pt.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I main Falco, so I could probably give you a few pointers.

Charizard
- I can't imagine this being a very easy battle for Charizard. Shield a lot, you need to keep away from the lasers and shines he'll throw at you. Your best bet will probably be approaching with Fair or Rock Smash, but if Falco can shield-grab you you're over, because Charizard won't be escaping from any chain grabs any time soon. If you're ever in a chain-grab, I imagine your best bet would be DIing away and up and trying to use an Up-B, but you're probably just screwed. Also, be wary if the Falco is a major Dair spammer, then you'd have to play more defensively and use some Usmashes out of shield.
- Flame breath would be useful here, since that actually has range to it and would be hard to reflect if you could space it properly. Try using that a bit more then you probably do.
- Going for a spike against a Falco...hmm. You probably won't be able to hit, since he can recover with Side-B, which also spikes. But if you think you have a shot at hitting, go for it. Falco's Up-B sucks so if he wasted time using a U-air to hit you away, he'd be risking death.
- Dthrow is probably your throw of choice here, since you want to get the Falco away from you so you have time to approach with fair/rock smash/whatever. Playing defensive in this match might work, but Charizard is big so his shield being eaten away means a lot more. If you want to play defensively, be very careful.
- Your main finishing moves will be Rock Smash, Ftilt, and Bthrow. Don't bother trying to hit with Fsmash, Falco's Fsmash will outrange yours and he also has many other fast moves he can use to hit you out/escape. Likewise, using Usmash to kill isn't recommended unless he's a very aerial Falco. Then go for it.

Ivysaur
- Eugh. Falco is really good at edgeguarding, so Ivysaur can be easily gimped here. Ivysaur is, honestly, best used as a transition pokemon to Squirtle in this matchup. However, if you really want to use Ivysaur, then just STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGES. Approach with extreme caution. Use a lot of Side-B's, don't use too much Bullet Seed because it has a lot of ending lag and will be punished heavily if you miss. Only use Ivysaur's fast moves here. Neutral A, Side B, and Ftilt will be your attacks of choice here. Don't ever use Usmash, no matter how temping it is. A Uair is safer and also very powerful if the Falco is in the air, or you could just go for a Utilt if that's more to your liking.
- If you're ever knocked off the edge, go for an up-b immediately. Don't waste time DIing back and forth.
- Killing moves are Fsmash and Bthrow. Nothing else. Don't bother, you're risking death.

Squirtle
- Seems like he'd be your best bet for this matchup. He can crawl under Falco's lasers, ending that threat. Falco's two main killing moves, Fsmash and Dsmash, will probably be spammed to death trying to hit you, so diminishing returns are on your side here.
- Also, chaingrabbing should be a non-issue here. Squirtle is small and has great DI, so escaping won't be too much of a problem here. If a Falco does grab -> dthrow you, he'll probably go for a Usmash or Dair after, so be prepared for those things.
- Approach with Fairs/Bairs, crawled utilts, and (believe it or not), uncharged water guns. Fairs/Bairs are obvious, crawled utilts are for getting under Falco's laser and breaking shields, and the uncharged water gun has multiple hits. You should stay away from hydroplanning, because that is easily stopped from a shine or jab combo, or from a neutral a approach, since a good Falco will usually be out of range from that.
- Your favorite kill move here is Dthrow, bar none. However, if you decide to spam that to the point of no return and you will not be getting any kills from it, you're best bet would be a pivot Fsmash or I suppose you could go for a Usmash, but you should probably just play keep-away until your dthrow is recharged enough for you to kill with that. The safest and most intelligent option.

washy

Smash Apprentice
Thx, falco is also my other main but yeah i agree, ivysaur is a no when fighting him.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Squirtle crawl under the reflector, also? I played a Falco briefly and I think I remember this happening.

SrL04

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...Squirtle is definitely your worst...you have up smash / d throw as kill moves against a char like Snake- Also Squirtle has a lot of damage racking moves (Ftilt to AAA are actually a consecutive combo), but just AAA is cool too. You also have up tilts (could get two in there) then U airs, save the kill moves for later (but really...Squirtle can't kill unless it's at a really high percent...).

Although situational, you had some places where you could have used Ivysaur's sweet spot Up B for a kill shot. Down throw to up air combos at low percents- U smash is really unreliable and the F smash range is awesome and should be used as the priority for a kill move.

I liked your Charizard the most although you are placed in a really bad position if you're going for a straight on glide attack, besides that, I like to use jabs a lot on my Charizard. It's good that you are using his tilts so keep it up. Dunno if you wanna try it, but I try and keep the pressure on with Charizard with variation of jabs, then tilts, then jabs, and so forth then going for a grab or something.

///Edit///

Don't ask others who you should main, do it yourself

chubas

Smash Apprentice
I'll be posting as I watch the videos.
What I noticed about the second video (against MK) is that with Ivy you razor leaved MK while in the edge (around 1:40), when you could have fair'ed or even spiked him. I know, I also razor leaf automatically when trying to recover, just trying to point that out.
And what they said. You tried to hit a lot with dash and Fsmash with squirtle, while his main game is in the air. And is a bad idea to change pokemon just to be stabbed in the face :(

Nice PT.

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
Wow, you just rock with the pokemon trainer.
Well, I think you've played a great squirtle against MK, you just need to be careful with the side b. Well, I have no advices to you, you need I little bit more experience. And squirtle is a beast in the air. On the ground he's average.
And by the way, I think you're the best PT I've ever seen!

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Hey OP, squirtle aside, you're definitely one of the best PTs I've seen. Your Charizard is by far your best (as he should be). Awesome ledge-tech against Snake btw. Question though, were those friendlies? Just wondering why you didn't grab Snake out of his UpB, because he UpB'd right past the ledge almost everytime. All you have to do is grab him, don't throw him, and he's dead.

Some squirtle advice, for larger characters (like Snake) you should use Dair more. SH Rising Dair will usually hit with every hit of the move if you DI properly. Also, as others have said, more AAA jab combos.

washy

Smash Apprentice
How come when ever you grab some one you use the dthrow most of the time? charizard and squirtles dthrow do the least amount of damage.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing you don't know how to gimp Snake's recovery? Just grab him when he uses his cypher and do nothing, and he will fall to his death.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Squirtle is easily my worst pokemon (IMO), so any Squirtle help would really be appreciated. Thanks, fire_wulf!
I play a pretty good PT and everyone I've faced as him has said "OMG your Squirtle is beastly your other two can't compair to it!"

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Woah, didn't know you could gimp snakes recovery by grabbing him o_o thanks <3

Nice to see that this topic's exploded, thanks for all the help, guys. My Squirtle has gotten a lot better recently, he's probably better then my Ivysaur now (but my Charizard still rocks all aww yeah)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Stingers, can you teach me how to play PT against a good Marth? I hear some trash talking Pokemon Trainers have a hard time with him. Good stuff though man. You need to post some new vids so I can see some more improvement from you guys.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Hey Stingers, can you teach me how to play PT against a good Marth? I hear some trash talking Pokemon Trainers have a hard time with him. Good stuff though man. You need to post some new vids so I can see some more improvement from you guys.
Yo, PP! Did you pick up PT or somethin? Or are you just wanting to know how to counter PT with your beastly Marth? :p

Well, PT vs. Marth is basically a Squirtle Game. Charizard is alright for it but if Marth gets up close in his face there isn't much Charizard can do but jab, so moves that come out faster (side B, probably) will wreck him. And then Ivysaur can play keep away pretty well with his Side B and then outrange him with Ftilt/Fsmash etc., but if he gets knocked off the stage, Marth is good enough at edgeguarding to ensure a kill. For a Marth to beat Squirtle, they have to Hydroplane a lot. Not so much that it becomes insanely predictable, but enough to keep the Marth on guard. Actually, you're not really using it for attacking, but more to play keep away, so you can approach the Marth with aerials, jabs, and crawled utilts. But yeah, it's not exactly an easy matchup for any of the three, but Squirtle will be the best against a Marth by far.

And PP, we need to play again sometime soon. When's the next time you'll be available?

Top Bottom