• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox Xtravaganza - Microsoft Rep General

Which Microsoft Character Do You Want In?

• Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 92 70.2%
  • Master Chief

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • Minecraft Steve

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Cuphead

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • Rash (Battletoads)

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Fulgore (Killer Instinct)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Joanna Dark

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Conker

Votes: 16 12.2%
  • Marcus Fenix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ori

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
It's gonna be Banjo or nothing. Master Chief is disconfirmed and there's no way they go for Steve.
Master Chief has only been deconfirmed for now, there will likely be other DLC packs after this. Steve is definitly possible, Mineraft is massive.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Master Chief has only been deconfirmed for now, there will likely be other DLC packs after this. Steve is definitly possible, Mineraft is massive.
I don't think there will be another DLC pass, but here's hoping.

Minecraft is certainly possible, but imo highly unlikely.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
What do you guys think about how often Minecraft’s popped up in leaks? I think it means that there will be some MC content eventually, but the fact that almost no one has ever declared that content as a fighter is fishy.

As of now, I think Banjo is coming to Smash & a Minecraft will be released at the same time, but on its own.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What do you guys think about how often Minecraft’s popped up in leaks? I think it means that there will be some MC content eventually, but the fact that almost no one has ever declared that content as a fighter is fishy.

As of now, I think Banjo is coming to Smash & a Minecraft will be released at the same time, but on its own.
It certainly is odd that it's been brought up many times. I believe the DLC selection was decided sometime during the game's development last year. After all, negotiating with third party companies takes some time. For the leaks, the Microsoft situation seems to be a bit different from Square Enix. The leakers for Square Enix heard a multitude of names, but for Microsoft they claimed from the get-go that it's Minecraft. It's an interesting difference.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
That is true. But it’s just odd to me that people don’t just say it’s Steve outright.

The only notable leaker who did was the guy who claimed Gran Blue was going to get a character & then backed out, so his sources might be messed up right now.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
That is true. But it’s just odd to me that people don’t just say it’s Steve outright.

The only notable leaker who did was the guy who claimed Gran Blue was going to get a character & then backed out, so his sources might be messed up right now.
Yeah, you're right. Some of the more notable leaks have only said Minecraft content will be in the game (Such as the Ender Dragon as a boss), but never a playable character. Now that I think about it, that is a little fishy...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Vergeben said it and then it spread. Nothing weird about that.

If you want your fake leak to gain traction, you have better odds if you make a leak people want to believe, and the Smash community at large doesn't want to believe Steve will get in.

The same phenomenon is why few believed Kencineroar/Box Theory and why so many believed the Grinch Leak. Hell, that's why their names are as such: Box Theory was seen as a theory (when it was a fact) and the Grinch Leak was seen as a leak (when it was a hoax).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Fair enough. I feel the DLC in general will be much more safe guarded than the main game. A smaller team means less people willing to leak info.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Fair enough. I feel the DLC in general will be much more safe guarded than the main game. A smaller team means less people willing to leak info.
This is how I feel too. We likely won't see any real leaks about the DLC selection since the team is getting smaller. The only two weird exceptions are Square Enix and Microsoft, and that's because these two companies have been talked about by leakers since last year. Besides these two I don't think we'll know the rest of the DLC.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, no one has a clue who the other two will be. There’s been no consistent rumors or leaks.

I hope it stays like that.

Lucas Harder

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone!!! Today, I want to theorize a potential character(s) that could appear as apart of the DLC Fighter Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! The characters I am referring too are the highly speculated Xbox/Microsoft characters. I thought today I could sit and theorize who I think will in fact be chosen as the rep. Some people might say we might not get one at all, but I think that would be crazy and surprising. Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship has been really great, especially since their is Xbox Live compatibility with the Switch version of Cuphead, and Xbox Game Pass and Rare Replay have also been highly rumored of coming to the system as well. This may not sound like anything, but this is really huge news, as characters who were for the longest time exclusives to Xbox, are now coming over to the Nintendo Switch. So as such, I feel if any Western company is gonna get a character in Smash, it will most obviously be a Microsoft character. But the question on everyone's mind is, who? Their are so many possibilities for who the rep could be, but I am only gonna talk about who the most popular speculated characters are: Banjo & Kazooie, Minecraft Steve, Master Chief, and Cuphead. Anyways, let's get on to the Xbox and Microsoft character theory!

I am just gonna get these two out of the way. I can say for a 100% fact that these two will not be the reps, as these two were both deconfirmed in some way. First I'll start with Cuphead. Cuphead was deconfirmed because right after Cuphead was announced for Switch (which was February of this year), the creators of the game said that it would be a dream if Cuphead and Mugman made their way in to Smash. Obviously, they wouldn't say this if Cuphead was coming to the game, and the Fighters Pass was already decided prior to that, so as such, I think it basically is concrete deconfirmation of Cuphead's inclusion. I never thought he was likely anyways since I don't think this would've been the character Microsoft would choose to represent their company (Not that it's a bad game, but it certainly is the least recognizable and least influential compared to the other characters and series)

Now on to Master Chief. I still hear from many people that Master Chief could still have a chance as DLC, however, I think people heavily overlook this tweet: https://twitter.com/franklez/status/1076911083909132289 As you can see, this tweet was made by someone named Frank O'Connor, which if you didn't know him, he is the lead developer of the Halo series, which if Master Chief was going to be in Smash, then he would obviously know. Also, the official Halo account answered a question on Twitter about who they would want to see in Smash, and they responded with a Master Chief gif, which was also tweeted two months ago, when the DLC was finalized. As much as I think it'd be cool to see Master Chief, I think he is deconfirmed and I think people need to remember that.

Alright, now we're getting in to the fun part. We're gonna talk about the most likely Microsoft rep out of these two and figure out who is more likely, Banjo & Kazooie or Minecraft Steve. First I am gonna start with Steve. I think people over exaggerate Steve's chances greatly. The only reason that I feel Minecraft Steve is even remotely likely is because Minecraft is popular. That's it. That is the only reason I hear as to why Steve has a chance. Sure, Minecraft is such an influential game, but I don't think it warrants a character spot. I just don't see how Steve would fit in the theme of Smash. He is a very stiff character, and he would run and jump around really awkwardly. Also, people forget that Minecraft has barely any music, and music is an important factor to this Fighters Pass. The only music from this game is the Overworld music, but I don't feel like that song would fit in a fighting game like Smash. Sure, Sakurai could hire someone to remix the song to make it suitable for Smash, but that would still only be like one song. I feel when Sakurai said that these Fighter Packs will have music, I think he meant a wide array of soundtracks, not just one song. However, I think if we are getting something Minecraft-related, I think it'll be a Steve Mii Fighter outfit and a Steve spirit, but other then that, that's really all I see. Also, a lot of leakers have called Steve, but none of them are all that credible like people make them out to be. I think Steve has a 40-50% chance of making it in, but not a 100% like everyone keeps saying.

Now, I am about to talk about the character that I think will in fact be the Microsoft character and the one that makes the most sense: Banjo & Kazooie. I think people underestimate Banjo's chances, as their are even clues found in the data of the game that suggests their inclusion. In case you don't know, their were some datamined spirits that were found at the beginning of the games lifespan: Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps. You might think this doesn't mean anything, but these characters are from Microsoft and Rare IPs. This proves that Microsoft and Rare have been approached about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and including Rare's most iconic character, Banjo & Kazooie, just makes sense to tie in to these other Rare spirits (Also, if Steve were to get in Smash, I do not think he would come with Rare spirits. It just seems to specific of choices that I think this could be more in Banjo's favor). Also, I feel Microsoft has been heavily promoting Banjo & Kazooie for no real reason. Like sure, I LOVE that they are acknowledging the series exists, but I just feel like they are planning something special for these guys. They have released Banjo & Kazooie action figures, and they recently put an ad on their Microsoft website to buy Banjo-Kazooie (At least I found that on Google Images). Also, Phil Spencer has stated in the past that he would love to see Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, and I do think he probably approached Sakurai and his team to add Banjo. And back to the music argument, Banjo-Kazooie has one of the best soundtracks of any video game ever made, and including them in Smash would make much more sense then Minecraft's overworld "music". The only thing that could possibly point against Banjo & Kazooie is the fact that Nintendo is choosing the DLC, and it would make sense for them to include a character who is more relevant like Steve or Master Chief over someone who is not, but I feel they would want to choose Banjo as another fan-requested character (since I am pretty sure they are aware of the demand for them in the game), and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are single-handedly the most requested characters for the game as of now. I honestly feel like Banjo & Kazooie DLC would sell way more then Steve DLC if you want me to be completely honest. So with all of this, I think Banjo is a 90% chance of being in the game. He is so close to being at 100%, but I still have my occasional doubts about him, so that is why I gave him a 90%. Besides, he is one of my most requested characters SO PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN DADDY SAKURAI!!!

In conclusion, I think I have pretty much covered this entire topic, and I hope you guys can see things in a different light. So, I think Cuphead and Master Chief are the least likely Microsoft reps since they were deconfirmed, with Steve being the second most likely at 40-50%, and Banjo being the most likely with 90%. However, if you disagree with this, let me know in the comments who you think the most likely Xbox/Microsoft character is!

osby

Smash Obsessed
In conclusion, I think I have pretty much covered this entire topic, and I hope you guys can see things in a different light.
Not really, it was your run-of-the-mill "bash Steve's chances to make Banjo seem more likely" post that you can find dozens of in the Banjo support thread.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'll agree that Banjo & Kazooie makes the most sense. However, that doesn't mean it's a near guarantee. They do fit the look and style of Smash Bros best; as well as the history. History and other important connections to Nintendo are what I look for in a potential Smash Bros character. However, Sakurai may not. After all; we got Cloud and Joker who have a more stronger connection to Playstation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll agree that Banjo & Kazooie makes the most sense. However, that doesn't mean it's a near guarantee. They do fit the look and style of Smash Bros best; as well as the history. History and other important connections to Nintendo are what I look for in a potential Smash Bros character. However, Sakurai may not. After all; we got Cloud and Joker who have a more stronger connection to Playstation.
Sakurai has gone on record to say he doesn't care about console wars at all. A gaming impact in general is more important than an impact at Nintendo in itself. Joker is a great example of this. FF itself is a major impacting series, regardless of starting on Nintendo. Cloud is kind of a gray area as he's just the biggest gun of the series, but many would argue FF itself having a huge history with Nintendo played a factor. There's literally zero evidence to suggest this mattered, but it doesn't stop the arguments. Of course, it's not like the theory can easily be proven wrong.

It might if we got someone like Master Chief or someone who has no actual game on Nintendo, though.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I wasn't referring to the Console Wars at all. Just history of importance to Nintendo. Sure, Cloud might be the biggest name of Final Fantasy in general; but not the biggest Final Fantasy character to Nintendo.

It would be like Michael Jordan entering the Baseball Hall of Fame inside of someone who has a better history with Baseball. Sure, Michael Jordan is famous and played Baseball; but he isn't more important to Baseball than certain players.

Nintendo could have chosen the next best Final Fantasy character to add (take your pick). But instead they chose the most famous one. Keep in mind that Super Smash Bros *started* as a Nintendo oriented crossover. Cloud is the first character to be added that was added that had no major history with Nintendo themselves. At least not on his own. You could argue his involvement with Kingdom Hearts but, he was't really a major player from what I've seen in that game. More like a cameo.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Most likely it'll be Banjo or Chief. Maybe both could get in at the same time - one as Microsoft's character and one as Rare's character. I've said it before but I don't think Steve is gonna happen in a million years (nor should he).

I would LOVE Battletoads, Joanna or Conker, but they seem far less likely.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Chief is hard disconfirmed since 343 spoke up. He was soft disconfirmed by Frank a long time back(though he posts enough trollish tweets to not take him seriously, but he still was saying the character wasn't in. The post was just displayed very weirdly. 343 made it clear he wasn't part of the Fighter's Pass. Later ones if they happen is possible, though).

They might push a Battletoad, but besides that, Steve and Banjo are literally the only other ones currently in the race that we can tell of. To the point employees around Microsoft have acknowledged both. Would be nice if Killer Instinct got a bit more love, but I won't pretend Fulgore's taken seriously whatsoever as a contender by a good majority of fans. Steve and Banjo(as well as Chief) were the only three ever taken super seriously(and for good reasons, they're the 3 most iconic characters Microsoft has at the moment by far. They have a decent amount of All-Stars, but they're the top dogs. With Sakurai's statements regarding "gaming history", many believe he means icons. And there's only 3 that were truly considered ones among their franchise. Killer Instinct doesn't get the love it should, but them's the breaks).

I wasn't referring to the Console Wars at all. Just history of importance to Nintendo. Sure, Cloud might be the biggest name of Final Fantasy in general; but not the biggest Final Fantasy character to Nintendo.

It would be like Michael Jordan entering the Baseball Hall of Fame inside of someone who has a better history with Baseball. Sure, Michael Jordan is famous and played Baseball; but he isn't more important to Baseball than certain players.

Nintendo could have chosen the next best Final Fantasy character to add (take your pick). But instead they chose the most famous one. Keep in mind that Super Smash Bros *started* as a Nintendo oriented crossover. Cloud is the first character to be added that was added that had no major history with Nintendo themselves. At least not on his own. You could argue his involvement with Kingdom Hearts but, he was't really a major player from what I've seen in that game. More like a cameo.
That I agree with. Sakurai has pretty much not shown to care if they have a Nintendo connection or not as an important criteria. I mean, sure, it can potentially help root out some character options, as sometimes with a ton of major icons you need one small thing to help choose one, but the idea it's a needed criteria is false. Though the funny thing is, if Kasumi(A.K.A. Jane) is an Echo, and she appears either before the new Persona Warriors(I forget the correct name) game or not in that game at all, he'll finally get rid of people's bad fanrule of "needs a Nintendo appearance first". Cloud also proved without a shadow of a doubt your game being on the system is not a requirement. He actually was in a position to add Sonic during Melee(but lacked time) well before we had any Nintendo Sonic games, so by that point it was already shown to not be a requirement. There's no questioning that having a previous Nintendo appearance is still useful, and not just because some might be more willing to buy this character as DLC, but because it means the company agreed to work with Nintendo when it came to licensing. This is the only advantage Master Chief had at any point, as they actually canned the Halo DS games(which means Nintendo could've been weary of using the IP on their system). Minecraft's costumes re-opened the floodgates because it showed getting Halo content on Nintendo's systems is not actually an issue. Likewise this also means they're a lot more open to competitor IP's having appearances. That reason alone is why there's a very strong chance that Master Chief could still come in as a Mii costume(the other costume probably would be Banjo or Steve, depending which of these two titans are playable). It's their 3 most notable IP's, so it makes sense for Nintendo and Sakurai to request them to be used in Smash and all. And it looks already like Microsoft is very friendly with that kind of usage, so it's looking good for all 3 IP's to appear in Smash as is.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve and Banjo-Kazooie are my most wanted and in my opinion Steve would look and work just fine so please don't act like we can force our opinions on Sakurai as if they're facts; they could give him new animations while sticking to his original style (stiff limbs and all) while giving him expressiveness in how he moves and how his eyes change in animations, and yes I think that would work fine, they do the same sort of thing for literally every other character.

I would also like Cuphead and Conker, would be fine with the others as usual.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Steve and Banjo-Kazooie are my most wanted and in my opinion Steve would look and work just fine so please don't act like we can force our opinions on Sakurai as if they're facts; they could give him new animations while sticking to his original style (stiff limbs in all) and yes I think that would work fine, they do the same sort of thing for literally every other character.

I would also like Cuphead and Conker, would be fine with the others as usual.
I also agree that Steve can work and look fine in the game. Sakurai already took some creative liberties for some characters to make them work in Smash, such as giving ROB more freedom with his limbs. And besides, there already is a video that showcases how Steve might work in Smash, and Steve looks fine in it imo.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If we get DoomGuy, I’m going to start supporting Marcus Fenix after we get a few MA reps.

My main problem with Marcus currently is that his series is so violent. But Doom is just as violent, so if that barrier is broken then I think Marcus would deserve a spot after the likes of Banjo, Chief & Steve get in.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
So many great characters to choose from the Microsoft library.

You can't go wrong with any of their three most discussed characters in terms of Smash speculation. Steve, Master Chief and Banjo. All of them would be welcome for their respective reasons.

Plus you have all the Rare catalog. Characters like Rash (Battletoads), Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark), Conker, and a Killer Instinct rep (Fulgore, Spinal, etc.) would be great "throwback" characters (like Banjo) and all have history with Nintendo. Added bonus of a Diddy Kong Racing stage with all the original racers appearing in the background.

Also Cuphead and Mugman would be dope as hell too.

So many great options, and I would be happy with anyone they choose really. Even if it's as random as Voodoo Vince or General RAAM.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Even though this isn't about Smash Bros I have to say; I always see so many requests for characters from Xbox's Library. Whether it's Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, Master Chief, Cuphead, Ori, even now Marcus Fenix ;) etc. This is the reason I want us Xbox fans to have our own crossover.

While Ryu Hayabusa started as a Nintendo game the Reboot geared the series more towards Xbox. Commander Shepard and Frank West got their starts on Xbox yet some Nintendo fans ask for them to be in Smash. Give fans what we want! Xbox should have it's own crossover!

(Sega should have it's own crossover fighter too by the way! :grin:)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
An Xbox Smash game would be very welcome. It could also shut up all the jokes that Xbox doesn’t have enough franchises to fill up a roster.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
An Xbox Smash game would be very welcome. It could also shut up all the jokes that Xbox doesn’t have enough franchises to fill up a roster.
I couldn't like your comment fast enough! :grin:

I've listed more than 20 characters that could be in the potential roster and that is not even counting secondary characters. Adding secondary characters could almost double that. There are plenty of fan favorites like:

- Master Chief
- Marcus Fenix
- Banjo & Kazooie
- Jack of Blades
- Joanna Dark
- Conker
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Frank West
- Commander Shepard
- Steve
- Cuphead
- Fulgore
- Ori
- Battletoads

And many more. These alone could bring in a lot of fans. So many games with large fan bases being brought together could be amazing!

Edit: Also the perfect villain for the crossover would be The Crawler from Fable 3. The story could be that the green light coming from the Xbox logo is an energy that ties all Xbox Worlds together. The Crawler hates all light. So, it tries to extinguish that Light which threaten all Worlds connected to it.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I couldn't like your comment fast enough! :grin:

I've listed more than 20 characters that could be in the potential roster and that is not even counting secondary characters. Adding secondary characters could almost double that. There are plenty of fan favorites like:

- Master Chief
- Marcus Fenix
- Banjo & Kazooie
- Jack of Blades
- Joanna Dark
- Conker
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Frank West
- Commander Shepard
- Steve
- Cuphead
- Fulgore
- Ori
- Battletoads

And many more. These alone could bring in a lot of fans. So many games with large fan bases being brought together could be amazing!

Edit: Also the perfect villain for the crossover would be The Crawler from Fable 3. The story could be that the green light coming from the Xbox logo is an energy that ties all Xbox Worlds together. The Crawler hates all light. So, it tries to extinguish that Light which threaten all Worlds connected to it.
You forgot the legendary Forza Car.* Who else is going to do a Sonic, come in at the 11th hour and break the Crawler - allowing the other Xbox characters to defeat it?

*(Yea, the Hard Times is a Smash-focused The Onion, like The Turnip. It's satire and exaggerating things)

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
You forgot the legendary Forza Car.* Who else is going to do a Sonic, come in at the 11th hour and break the Crawler - allowing the other Xbox characters to defeat it?

*(Yea, the Hard Times is a Smash-focused The Onion, like The Turnip. It's satire and exaggerating things)
If we weren't joking around and being a bit more realistic I'd say Blinx the Time Sweeper. He can manipulate time so, he could get there at the last second and steal the show! :smirk:

Or Master Chief could pull an Iron Man from Endgame on The Crawler! (to at least some extent). :chuckle:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Quick question: since Double Fine is now owned by Microsoft, does that make their characters Microsoft characters? If so, I propose Raz from Psychonauts as a Fighter.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Well, Microsoft do own Psychonauts now. Raz is now an Xbox character. However, I don't know if he is a big enough name to get in.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Quick question: since Double Fine is now owned by Microsoft, does that make their characters Microsoft characters? If so, I propose Raz from Psychonauts as a Fighter.
oh Crap, I totally forgot about that, Raz would make a Great addition.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When Ori only has 4 votes ;-;

Come onnnn they would come with AMAZING music and a visually stunning stage

That and Blind Forest is a game I HIGHLY recommend everyone play at least once, and I am so hype for Will Of The Wisps

Top Bottom