• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y ?

Slag

Smash Rookie
I've been using X, but i feel like it's too far from the b button to do a lot of things easily such as waveshine a few times in a row, shdl, shine out of shield as fast as I would like and some other things. Today I've tried switching over to Y but its just sent my overall speed back so far. Should I even bother trying to switch?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I find Y to be superior, but it's about what you prefer. If you feel like Y would give you an advantage, take a day to practice and use that.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Being comfortable is what matters most. You can be very technical with both jump buttons and I personally use the X button to jump. It may seem hard to do certain things with X but it just takes practice. If you are already comfortable with X I would just stick with X.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226469

I always used x, then I decided I would switch to Y one day. It's really not too hard to get used to, took me a few days. I also didn't notice a huge difference, but my fingers are really slow. Maybe you could do more with a slightly better button configuration

Slag

Smash Rookie
And this is kind of an odd question, but for anyone who uses Y, do you flick the bottom to short hop or do you press the middle quickly? I've been experimenting with both but can't really get the feel of either.

Beat!

Smash Master
You can do all those things in the OP with X just fine. It just takes practice. Y might be "better" ultimately (not by much), but if you've already settled on X then there's no real benefit in spending several weeks (or however long it will take) on a transition to Y.

Also, remember that you don't have to settle on one button for everything. If X feels better for some techniques and Y (or control stick) feels better for others, no problem.

GodLi

Smash Cadet
I used to use x for everything, but I also found that it was harder to get to the b button, so now I actually use Y (for most things). I found it a lot easier to actually just flick the left side of the y button, only glancing on the corner to short hop, because then i'll already be moving towards the b button

imo take the time to get used to y. its not as hard to switch as some people think, and althuogh you can still do everything with x, y is def better. so you might as well switch.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
As someone who went from x after 10 years of playing to y then decided a hybrid of the two would be more efficient, just do whatever feels good to you. I also use analog up for certain techniques like shdl and double shining. Obviously y is closer to b than x, so if you want to playing efficiently, that would be technically the way to go. Do whatever feels best for you.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
How in the world do you doubleshine with analog?

Anyway, the best thing to do would be to use a hybrid of the jump options so that you are most comfortable.
I started off with X, so I do SHFFLs and stuff withX still, then I use Y for doubleshines and wavedashes/waveshines and such
Then tapjump for SHDLs and Shinebairs and shield pressure and stuff

Although, ideally, Y is the best because its closest to B and tapjump limits movement, which is why I'm trying to learn to do everything with Y also.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
I've always used X, but I tried Y a few times this month, I guess it would be better for me in the long run to practice with it.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
You don't have to use the same button for every action. I do basically everything with the control stick (doubles shines, whatever), and I only use Y for wavelanding and edgecancelling my phatasms on platforms on YS, PS, BF and DL.

I believe Y would be the best choice since it is closer, but do whatever feels most comfortable.

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
I use X but i use up for like double shines and SHDL
maybe i should take the time to switch to Y
Giving Y a shot is worth while. It's really not all that hard to SHDL with (even without clawing,) 'n it helps keep your stick free to focus on movement. It's all about getting the first shot off quick enough with the initial timing of Y to B, then the second is like near automatic. If you short hop with Y, the sliding off the side of the button motion is already there most likely, just needs to be extended.

In my own opinion it's more consistent/harder to mess up when done with Y, as well.

As per the rest of the thread; I use Y for everything requiring a jump other than full hop Uairs, and jumping out of aerial shines, in which cases I use up on t3h stick. Unintentionally use the stick instead of Y OoS under pressure sometimes too.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I used X for 2 years, switched to Y, and now I use a hybrid of Analog stick and Y for everything. No regrets, for fast fallers, X is trash (unless you claw).

I'm not saying you can't do everything with Fox/Falco with X (I did) But Y is just sooo much easier and you have way more control imo because of how Y is structured.

TL/DR: You can do everything with both. Y is recommended for ease overall.

FireFly

Smash Lord
You can use the back of the knuckle on your thumb to hit the A button after short hopping in the middle of Y with the edge of your thumb to do shfflc nairs. I think Tang does this.

Top Bottom