• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTF Puff

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
As Jiggs, I basically stay right on Falcon and hold him down with fluff... Falcons for some reason don't know how to get around it, and you can see any great puff do just that, stay on his face so he can't move without getting hit if he leaves his shield.

I haven't had the chance to play against a great puff as Falcon but this is what I find troubles me as puff and what I tend to do against 'not so bad' puffs and it works.

Stay back and fly by when you can. Run fast, it's what you do best.
Getting the grabs/good hits will be tough if the puff knows what its doing, but capitalize on them and DON'T give puff room to escape once you get ANY hit. Let her flop around but don't run, keep in hitting range cause that's when they'll have to go on their transition game from D to O and that's when there will be oppenings for the hits you really need.

It's kind of like the opposite of the Marth vs Puff match up.
Marth will control 90% of the play, but the 10% Jiggs gets is enough to stay even.
Against a puff that knows what's up, they'll control 90% of the match, so use that 10% you have very well.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Yea, I feel like it is ridiculously absurd, but thanks for the input. I don't know how to properly fight them, but I will take what you said into consideration.

unknown522

Some guy
when I was at afro chris' house, I asked hax for him what to do vs jiggs. Hax said:

you have to make her get above you, then u-air her a lot. Try to DD a lot and jump around her and make her chase you. Since you fall faster, you can reach the ground first, then use your u-air and try not to let her get down.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Is the downthrow to knee always guaranteed (or at least for most percents)? or is it better to just dthrow--> uair sometimes?

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Uair is always a good alternative, safer too. (Falcons best move according to me, but I get flamed, but don't listen to anyone otherwise)

Don't space with Jiggs horizontally, as that's what she wants.
Obviously, going the under/over way is best. Tiz logic, any Falcon from Mango to basic noobs could figure it out with basic theorizing. :D

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Everyone needs a patient mindset except space animals and their imba shield pressure and guns
So cheap

You have to be fast to knee Jiggs
Messing up gets you potentially rested
But it's way easier than upthrow -> uair with Fox because they can't really go anywhere crazy and there's no smash DI possible for them
Same concept though, just got to move as soon as you throw because Jiggs is so light

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
dont be reckless and let puff reck up damage with his air attacks just like that.

Just shield them or try to dodge them.

If you are quick enough you should be able to counter it after avoiding with most of the time up airs.

yeah this mu is gay when playing a very good puff, especialy since falcon has to work so hard here to get a kill, and you will lose yours when making a mistake ( something -> rest -1 )

When puff is diing badly you will kill her at low %s with a upair to knee or dtrow or anything -> knee goes

Still this is europe and we dont have any high placing puffs, so maybe my advice isnt that good lol

that doesnt mean we dont have players who use jiggz though ^^

just watch hax using up air oos against sheik. That should work against puff as well i suppose

legion598

Smash Ace
knee trades with or goes through all of puffs aerials. Puff can rest through Dthrow> knee until higher percents. Thats really about all u need to know the rest should be pretty obvious.

Walt

Smash Ace
I never dthrow > knee before 70% because I usually get rested out of dthrow. dthrow > uair is safe before 70%.

legion598

Smash Ace
I kind of feel that way too. Not because its necessarily true but because it feels like falcon is a beast who can plow straight through puffs aerials with knees and can run from her silly spacing immediately.

My favorite thing to do to puff is run to the other side of the stage and space taunts so that they aren't punishable and then knee through her attacks when she goes on the offensive.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Pretty sure knees combo at lower % you just have to be fast
But what do I know

Hax

Smash Champion
i think at top top top level of play sheik can't touch falcon. i beat amsah in pound pools, m2k at herb2, i always beat m2k in friendlies, tope at genesis.. tope still beats me sometimes though. don't get me wrong i think below top level play sheik ***** falcon, but once the falcon player knows the matchup its hard for sheik (watch me vs m2k at pound 4)

i would still probably lose to the best jiggs players just because i have no puff experience at all, but i definitely think falcon has a winning matchup (at least on paper). getting grabbed or getting caught by a string of uairs = death for jiggs

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Here are the friendlies Hax did with M2K at Pound 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3DPxbZ6bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_9HVqIpNEA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-O52qQ25VM&feature=related

Keep in mind, this is the same Sheik that 4 stocked Darkrain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphTto5RzLc

SS was able to pull off a win against M2K's Sheik:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPwv4i2Vww

But anyways, this thread is about Puff and I know WDing OOS is useful against other chars, but I find it expecially true for Puff vs Falcon. Wait for Puff to do a bair then do a quick u-air and combo her out of it. Like its been said before d-throw Jiggs above 70% --> knee or d-throw Jiggs below 70% --> u-air.

Hax

Smash Champion
ya Puff can't really follow up with anything if you WD out of shield. and Walt, you should space your grabs vs Puff to avoid that. i also like jabbing her shield alot to try to pop her up, then grab her (of course from behind)

basically never go for a running grab that would leave you right above her if she crouches under it

j00t

Smash Champion
I also feel that Falcon has the best matchup vs. Puff, of course I'm not a top player but I feel that Falcon's air mobility mixed with upairs can atleast stand a chance against Puff. dthrow -> uair *****

Windrose

Smash Lord

>Bert<

Smash Ace
How does Hax do that thing at the edge in the second video at 1:05? He jumps on wavelands back>jumps which can go either into grabbing the ledge or wave landing again...i tried doing this but i can't get it right.
Just jump at the right time. Jump before the waveland animation brings u off stage. Practice makes perfect.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
a decent trick for getting grabs vs puff

if you knee the back of their shield, just grab right afterwards

i think the best they can do is avoid it and reset the situation to even, as far as i can tell it cant really be punished so its a risk free grab attempt

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
Does Hax use the control stick for u-airs? They come out extremely fast, which I think is great against puff.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
It's just early uairs. You can do them any way you want as long as your hands are quick enough.

X/y to jump -> up+a,
x/y to jump -> up cstick (requires faster hands but it's pretty comfortable for me imo)
or analog stick to sh -> up cstick or up+a

it's just whatever is most comfortable and works best for you. Practice different methods on CPUs until you find which one suits you best.

Top Bottom