• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTF?pokemon trainer is low tier?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
I was looking at the tier list for brawl and pokmon trainer was grouped in low tier. Why is that?shouldn't he be god tier because of versatility.ahh screw tiers!:mad:

DemonFart

Smash Lord
bad matchups?opening when changing pokemon in battle?stamina?are those all his bad points

zeta

Smash Journeyman
double post and a repeat thread this guy is on fire.

jk lol. he is often seen for his weaknesses such as ivy's gimpability squirts light weight and how easy zard is combo'ed

Bomber7

Smash Hero
not to mention we got some lazy ***es doing the tier list and they dont wana separate PT into the 3 pokemon, otherwise squirtle would be in high tier and Ivy and Charz would be in mid tier(high or low mid tier). Besides also not many people play as him and since America destroyed pokemon it's become a laughing stock so PT is the butt of brawl jokes. to be honest I think Falcon has more respect than we do. But really, tiers shouldnt matter. I had a fall fair a month ago at my school and there was a brawl booth. I won 2 of 3 of the games I played. both of those games were with my mains, Pokemon Trainer and Toon Link. the one I lost was with my secondary MArth. It was a 4 for all but I still came out on top. I owulda won all 3 if I wouldnt have been careless and gimped my second life as Marth. But you'll learn that we are few but we got some good skill in this board. Pt shouldn't be taken lightly, unless you know we go agaisnt MK then that's like a death wish(yet I want to conquor that guy) but dont worry aobut what tiers say. lol we really dont think about tiers that much, just talk to the top guys here like Steeler, Typh, Yuki and IRL. they are great guys. As for me I'm more or less an understudy compared to them but I have great confidece in this board. I'm probably the best PT in the state of LA (or the only one besides Sudai who secodaries him) lol.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Ok, even if the three Pokemon were separated, they would still be ****ing low tier. Stop saying that they would be higher. The fact of the matter is that all three Pokemon have to be used, etc etc. "Well Raph, since you think you know everything, why don't you tell us where the Pokemon would be if they were separate? Huh, huh, huh? Each Pokemon is mid tier!"

All three Pokemon would still be low tier. Nobody ****ing uses PT. If they were magically broken up, a few more people would use each Pokemon (or maybe a few less would use Ivysaur, as I don't think I've ever seen more than two competent players say that their best was Ivy, but whatever). Ok, that's nice. However, to get into mid-tier, you have to be seen on the same level of Sheik, Ike, Peach, and a few others in that list.

I don't care if the Pokemon have been ranked on other lists; the fact of the matter is that they will not rise out of low tier because the tier list is heavily based off of tournament results and it is also based off of match-ups. There are very, very few fights where the Pokemon can reliably take down an opponent. Haven't you people looked at the match-up chart we have? I mean, holy crap. They're not good against the cream of the crop. "Well if I counterpicked against Robot and Olimar with Squirtle, if I counterpicked against Snake and D3 with Ivysaur, and if I use Charizard when I'm not sure, then Pokemon Trainer would rise!"

No. That is not how it works. That's more along the lines of Sheik/Zelda match-ups, but not PT match-ups merely because PT does not have a choice when it comes to switching and he has fatigue. PT might gain a little more popularity and all, but I'm sorry, PT himself would not rise because nobody would be playing PT, but instead they'd be playing the other three Pokemon, all who wouldn't be vastly different in popularity from the current amalgam we have. They have too many problems. That is all there is to it.

Splitting up the three Pokemon would return some disappointing results for people who have a shred of faith in any of the Pokemon being better than the current mid tier. It is a bad idea and it needs to stop being brought up. Besides, even if they do get split up... PT would just drop to nearly last, with the other three right around him because they're on a fatigue timer still and can't do much by themselves, hence why they are not there in the first place.

Low Rider1717

Smash Cadet
I'm probably the best PT in the state of LA (or the only one besides Sudai who secodaries him) lol.[/QUOTE]

Rofl :D
and yah PT is rarely used in tournies
plus all his downsides (stamina, bad weaknesses, ect) scare people into using him)

Low Rider1717

Smash Cadet
=Low Rider1717;5955942]I'm probably the best PT in the state of LA (or the only one besides Sudai who secodaries him) lol.
Rofl :D
and yah PT is rarely used in tournies
plus all his downsides (stamina, bad weaknesses, ect) scare people into using him)[/QUOTE]
*apologizes for the double post*

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
In my opinion, PT should be at somewhere around mid tier. All 3 pokemon seem mid tier too. With moves like rock smash, and bullet seed, they seem better than low tier. Pokemon fatigue isnt so much of a problem. Neither is pokemon change for me, I usually try to knock my opponent back, run away depending on the stage or do pokemon change on a platform like on smash ville, or other areas depending on the stage.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Moves like Rock Smash and Bullet Seed are probably the reasons why they're not below Link.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
*sigh* that's why I hate tier threads especially here. It's really pointless and besides Brawl is just a game, you go to tournies to pound the crud out of your opponent win or lose. I'm disgusted with people that wana just get PO'd about where their character, like in this case Pokemon Trainer is on the tier list. I'm glad that tier threads are rare on this board or I wouldnt bother coming to this board cuz there would be so much flame. Shoot. Come on I knew what I was doing when I decided to pick up PT. Why is it such and over zealus issue why PT is so low in the standings. He's a fun character, play as him because you want to, if not then I highly suggest you dont bother coming to this board. Stand up for yourself guys, I dare you to take on(in a smart cool headed way) anyone who makes fun of PT. I take great pride in me using him. Throw the tier list out the window if you have to, all it is is a big distraction to players and creates flame and disappointment and torment and n00bs---for those who wana play MK just for the win with little or no interest in him.

Forgive me if I offend anyone but this is how I feel. I dont let that tier list control my life. PT is my main and I a care little about that he is low in the rankings, my only concern is to improve my game and if that causes PT to come along up with me in the rankings then good for me that's a bonus. Besides, I wouldnt mind shocking a few people myself with their big egos and blow it up when I'll one day place high in a tourny with mt PT and TL game. >=D

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
You'd think that more people would use PT because they would remember the good ol' R/B/Y days when they had Lv. 100 Charizards and whatnot...

Anyway, I think PT is low tier because of a combination of 1) His tournament results arn't the best, 2) We don't have much rep, and 3) He generally has bad matchups with top/high tier characters.

Caasi11

Smash Cadet
Well, I think that PT just needs a little time to become widely accepted before he gets into the higher tiers. I'm not saying that I believe in tiers, but I think it does matter in terms of measuring how people look at PT. Right now, there's an inclination to just using one Pokemon (as seen in the P.T-itis tread) so that says that people have one of these mindsets when they use PT:

1.) It's too much work to use all of them.

2.) I can't switch playstyles on the fly.

3.) I'll do it for the lulz.

Compare these mindsets with the mindset of somebody using a top tier character:

1.) Time to own. >:D

2.) What combo am I going to use first...?

3.) Looks like this match is gonna be quick...

4.) Never faced one of these guys before. Well, they're low tier, so it shouldn't be too hard to beat 'em.

As you can see, these two mindsets contrast in terms of self-confidence. Although there are PTs who ARE confident when fighting Top tier characters, their confidence stems from the determination of making Top tier users eat their overly-cocky (but mostly stereotyped) words. That's how I feel anyway. :p

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well, In theory, PT or course would be god tier. Note the keyword "in theory". In theory, the ability to counterpick in fight is always a plus. however, with the ****ing fatigue mechanic and with all three Pokemon being rather poor on average (note keyword on average, Charizard is the most well rounded and Squirtle is now the least reliable [note keyword reliable[) Makes PT's ultimate potential rather low (mid tier). Combine this with the unpopularity and like Yoshi (except a bit higher), he is currently low tier when most of the people who play him feel he should be higher.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think Charizard is the least useful.. I've actually played Brawl for a while lately, and it just seems as if he has the least amount of things going for him.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This has been open long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom