• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTF How did you guys learn falco?

captainlukey

Smash Ace
i think most people here agree that falco is by far the best char and he just feels so much better than others, and i found that i had a natural repour with him and was performing his combos and adv tech in like 10 minutes... all except his wavedash wich i can now do with ease.... dont worry too much about it.... just feel him out, learn to love him and the rest will come....

xelad1

Smash Ace
I first knew falco was an amazing character back when my friend first bought the game when it came out (hellz yeah he waited for a gamecube on launch baby!) and I spammed his forward smash all across the stage, and lasered him from a standing position until he started yelling at me for being cheap and not playing with any other characters.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
falco is not that hard a character. any pro who can do the advanced techniques can do everything. i would say the other characters are harder to use. try becoming a good peach or samus. yoshi? fox? getting good with them is much harder.

edit: i speak from experience ive seen my friends pick up falco instantly doing all the wshine combos just because they have experience.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I regrettably admit that I main mostly top tier characters, but what I've learned from using Falco for a good chunk of time, helped in the finesse required for a good aerial game and stadium control with any character. Watch one of the MLG FINALS [ PCCHRIS vs. Ken ] videos. You can find them pretty easily on youtube. I think PCCHRIS is the best Falco around unless I am mistaken.

PS. I'm trying to take on more difficult characters to redeem myself.

xelad1

Smash Ace
falco is not that hard a character. any pro who can do the advanced techniques can do everything. i would say the other characters are harder to use. try becoming a good peach or samus. yoshi? fox? getting good with them is much harder.

edit: i speak from experience ive seen my friends pick up falco instantly doing all the wshine combos just because they have experience.
I strongly dissagree with this comment, all technical ability with falco won't get you anywhere, you have to think just as much with him as you do with other characters. Peach is probably one of the easiest top tiered characters to learn how to play right next to shiek. Fox is also a null comparison because he also requires a lot of technical skill.

The trick is becoming good and winning with your characters. Everyone who has good technical skill with falco thinks they are uber, but thats not the case. Same thing with people who know how to play Marth decently, as well as sheik. At higher levels of tournament play falco and fox dominate the tournament scene. Playing a GOOD sheik and winning against tough matchups is very hard despite her low initial learning curve. You can't compare apples with oranges. Falco from the begining standpoint is a hard character to learn, as is fox. As you get more advanced in your play though the rewards pay off since they have so many inherent advantages.

Learning falco from an experienced players perspective is not that hard if you already know how to wavedash shffl etc. etc.... but playing him from scratch as a noob is not that easy.

Also... why the hell did you mention yoshi?

Miharu

Smash Hero
IMO at the top levels of the game, Falco is much easier to pick up and use well, as compared to Peach. Falco, and even Fox, may be hard to learn for beginners, but that's due to the fact that their core techniques are heavily reliant on the user already having basic knowledge and decent execution of the advanced techs. However, with Peach, all you have to do is turnip, dash attack, downsmash, fthrow at the most basic levels of the game.

However, as you progress, you'll see that playing the two space animals doesn't really require one to go out of their way to learn a new technique (waveshining is really just pressing downb before performing a wavedash). However, for Peach, you actually have to learn float cancelling (unique to Peach), and DJC, along with some other tricks that really can't be applied to other characters. The same goes for Samus.

francois

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, thanks so much for the responses. Lots of people seem to be saying that fox/falco have distinct advanatges at higher levels of play, anyone care to elaborate? What advantages do they poses over other high up tiered characters i.e. marth, sheik, peach, samus

Cold_Trax

Smash Cadet
Well fox/falco hav many combos that amazing players can bring out, projectile users (samus, link) hav the chance that their projectiles are deflected, insane shines, and well SHL. These all benefit fox/falco users. Aside from that, they are fast fallers, ground and air masters and very high speeds.

Who could argue that they aren't that good?
They do lack things but I don't want to say them...:)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
They've basically got all the benefits of the other top tiered characters and a few less of the cons of the other high tiered characters. Great aerial game, good edge guarding game, excellent combo potential, the lasers shines and waveshines. Personally I'm not impressed anymore by good foxes or good falcos. I'm a fan of people who can bust up the tier list :)

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Hey guys I'm an avid IC player who likes to dabble w/ lots of other characters. After seeing some crazy *** falco videos I want to make him my secondary character.

WTF!

Most of his advanced moves are so hard to pull off. Did you guys spend hours everyday learning how to do all those short hop/shine combinations? I'm not sure if it's worth the effort I almost lost to my buddies Bowser, (he just started playing him last week). Is the humiliation of getting owned in the begining worth it? I mean I had to go through that w/ the ICs but their grabs combos seem easier.

If you can perform falco's top moves can you could play any character amazingly well?
One day you just wake up and your able to do these things.... atleast this was the case for me.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
However, with Peach, all you have to do is turnip, dash attack, downsmash, fthrow at the most basic levels of the game.
That's why I hate those freaking peaches and sheiks, there's not any real difficulty in learning to play with them.
Falco is completely the other way around, putting your technical skills to the max

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
IMO at the top levels of the game, Falco is much easier to pick up and use well, as compared to Peach. Falco, and even Fox, may be hard to learn for beginners, but that's due to the fact that their core techniques are heavily reliant on the user already having basic knowledge and decent execution of the advanced techs. However, with Peach, all you have to do is turnip, dash attack, downsmash, fthrow at the most basic levels of the game.

However, as you progress, you'll see that playing the two space animals doesn't really require one to go out of their way to learn a new technique (waveshining is really just pressing downb before performing a wavedash). However, for Peach, you actually have to learn float cancelling (unique to Peach), and DJC, along with some other tricks that really can't be applied to other characters. The same goes for Samus.
agreed. peach and samus are much harder to learn, along with the other characters. falco is really easy to pick up and do well.

xelad, i know you said its not just techncal skill and i agree. but even in other aspects such as mindgames and character matchups, falco is one of the easiest to learn in this aspect too. his game is less complicated than others

invertigo

Smash Journeyman

agreed. peach and samus are much harder to learn, along with the other characters. falco is really easy to pick up and do well.

xelad, i know you said its not just techncal skill and i agree. but even in other aspects such as mindgames and character matchups, falco is one of the easiest to learn in this aspect too. his game is less complicated than others. i love falco, but its hard to argue that he is a hard character to get good at.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Well by not reading the thread I would say I learned Falco by watching Mathos, Bombsoldier, PC (and playing), and Foward. The things were easy to learn from my skill level. Just practice.

leechy9

Smash Cadet
im new to this website, but not new to the game. mastering falco is very hard to do, he was my first char that i stuck with. i've used him for 5 years now (since the game first came out), and i still learn new combos everyday.

the main thing i can tell you is that NEVER learn fox then think falco is even close. they are complete opposites in fighting styles.

fox is good at upward attacks and shining, and ground fights.

Falco is good at downward and side attacks, and mostly arial play.

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
i love falco the way he can combo really good and lasers are a big plus. I just mainly learned how to SHL and pillar and watch combo vids and i just started to whip out combos i never thought i could do.

Kalmetam

Smash Journeyman
Falco is really good at combos. I'm really good at combos but I mostly practice to do well so when I vs. someone, I win. You might surprise yourself!

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I believe good Falco players learn a new way to use him each time they play. I used only Falco for so long, but I only improved after working on other characters. Mastering other characters helps break out of the same moves, and helps work on the more technical aspects that are universal to the game. I'll tell you one thing, making a little switch to Fox led to a major improvement in the shine combos, and my SHFFL'ing became much more consistent.

MY MAIN POINT: It may be easier to master a technique with one character as opposed to another. Switch it up, master the fundamentals, and your Falco will flourish.

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
i really dont remember how i learned to play with falco. when ssbm came out i started with pikachu and samus. but then from me constantly getting beat by fox and capt. falcon, i decided to change characters. this is when i started playing with falco and fox. but falco is way better than fox (my opinion) i watched bombsoldier/dashizwiz/zhu/ and hdrokrby vids on youtube and wondered who in the heck did they do this stuff. i spent numerous hours in training mode in b/t classes trying to learn my moves/timing/l-canceling/wavedashing and whatever else should be learned by falco that is a nessity (how ever u spell it) it took me about a month or two to get the hang of implanting these moves into my playing style, but once i got tha hang of it, it just seems natural. you can always tell a natural falco from a wannabe

Top Bottom