• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Writing

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=1271]Writing[/drupal]

Well, I thought I should write a blog considering I'm a writer and that's what writers do. I didn't know what to say, so I thought I'd just say what was on my mind.

I'm in the process of writing a fiction series I hope to publish one day. It's comparable to quite a lot of things, but I'd definitely stick it in its own category. It's far from medieval and modern society, but takes what it has from both concepts... Anyway, I've blasted through quite a few all-over revisions of the first book. My writing has definitely improved, but as usual

finalark

SNORLAX
Interesting, as a writer myself I take interest in others works. So it's far from medieval and modern but takes concepts from both? So is it similar to Eberron? Or is it Steampunk or what?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, look at the world as it is now. Just because Edison didn't invent the light bulb doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have. With that in mind, my story is basically a world with more metaphysics, you know, magic and such, but it also introduces things of the modern world, just invented earlier or invented not at all.

If I had to explain it to you simply, it's our world, earlier in time, while adopting things such as plumping earlier than it was conceived. The general idea, however, is that it's medieval (there are swords, horses and castles). It's also notable that the style back then is similar to that of now. No old English (there are even references to modern day lingo).

Unfortunately, I don't read as much as others. Are those books good?

finalark

SNORLAX
Ah, I think I understand now. It holds both a medieval and modern base, right?

And Eberron was a spin-off rulebook for the board game Dungeons and Dragons. It takes place in a Victorian world where magic advanced rather than other means of powering machinery. I haven't read any of the novels based off of it.

And Steampunk is a style of science fiction where the author uses steam power to run the machines in the story.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I actually just looked up both of them. I should have been more familiar with the term. I knew the meaning.

"It takes place in a Victorian world where magic advanced rather than other means of powering machinery."

I would say that about my book as well. Just like Harry Potter. Magic replaces modern needs in my book, but often there are references to modern workings. I would say there isn't a lot of 'machinery', but I haven't really progressed into that aspect of the series. I don't really think it will.

I might also add that style is more modern as well, like clothing. I've been careful not to make it too strange, like Shrek.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
It sounds like a good read. I hope you don't drop the project, you should try to get it published if you finish it.
I wouldn't, the series is my life. I started brainstorming when I was around 11. I'm 18 now. Four years of thinking about it, about three years of writing and re-writing it. I'll definitely write it. I'm just burdened by it.

Nice talkin' to you.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I wish you luck in getting your book published Asaph.
Just stick with it and you'll get to where you want to be.

:bee:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Writing is just like everything else. You're going to have moments when you feel like you aren't progressing as you'd like to, but so long as you keep at it, you'll improve. I'm having alot of problems with a short story I've been working on since January, so you're definitely not the only person who has problems from time to time.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I can totally relate Asaph. I stopped writing for about two years after I found out that my mother was unfaithful to my father--with the guy I had helping me with my writing. He was a family friend and he and I were close-ish--as close as an 18 year old and a 40 year old guy can be, you know?

Since then I just haven't wanted to write. I've had an idea for a novel just sitting in the back of my head. I know I'll write it, but getting the beginning down on paper has been the hardest thing for me. And tomorrow I have due a 5-10 page story I haven't started. I'm so afraid I won't be good anymore. I used to be such a great writer--I had so much promise. But my life took a terrible turn, and since I wasn't in a creative writing class anymore, I stopped writing altogether for a while. I'm an amazing editor...but I just haven't produced anything of my own just yet. And I'm taking this first step out.

I feel like I must have deteriorated as a writer in the meanwhile or something...it scares me, since I know I want to do this as my living, I want to write for the rest of my life. And it's just the scariest thing in the world that I might not be good enough.

So, I get you, man. I really do. I love writing, but some days I wonder if I'm really meant for it.

I know I am, I just sort of get self mind-gamed sometimes.

Halaster

Smash Ace
Good luck with your writing project! It sounds interesting... You'll have to advertise it here when you publish it.

I've got a ton of bits and pieces of story ideas or events floating around my comp, but it never gets anywhere... and my writing has ground to a halt over the past month... which is bad because I'm taking a creative writing course. >.>

Though I think a few ideas came to me over the past couple days that hold promise (or here's hoping).

Edit: Fixed a glaring typo that I noticed this afternoon... righting != writing...

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I can totally relate Asaph. I stopped writing for about two years after I found out that my mother was unfaithful to my father--with the guy I had helping me with my writing. He was a family friend and he and I were close-ish--as close as an 18 year old and a 40 year old guy can be, you know?
I stopped reading here. This would make a FANTASTIC story. You have to write it.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I stopped reading here. This would make a FANTASTIC story. You have to write it.
Er...are you serious? That wasn't a story...that's what actually happened. My mother was involved with that guy when he was still helping me with my writing. My parents almost got divorced. It was not a good situation.

But hey, if it's a good enough story I might put it into print. Not sure if I could call it fiction, though.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Er...are you serious? That wasn't a story...that's what actually happened. My mother was involved with that guy when he was still helping me with my writing. My parents almost got divorced. It was not a good situation.

But hey, if it's a good enough story I might put it into print. Not sure if I could call it fiction, though.
The emotions were real and powerful. You can channel them in a genuine way into a loosely based work of fiction. Since you actually felt the emotions for real, your story will be far more engaging and would connect with your reader much better.

That's what I think anyway, dunno about Jam.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The emotions were real and powerful. You can channel them in a genuine way into a loosely based work of fiction. Since you actually felt the emotions for real, your story will be far more engaging and would connect with your reader much better.

That's what I think anyway, dunno about Jam.
Exactly. It's unfortunate, but in general, literature is not a happy medium. Bad things happen to good people in stories, just like in real life. You have a unique story to tell, informed by your personal experience. If it's still too painful to write about, that's one thing. But someday it won't be, and you'll have a great story sitting in your lap.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Writing is just like everything else. You're going to have moments when you feel like you aren't progressing as you'd like to, but so long as you keep at it, you'll improve. I'm having alot of problems with a short story I've been working on since January, so you're definitely not the only person who has problems from time to time.
One of the other issues I'm not sure if I touched on was that my atmosphere sucks. I'm in the middle of a living room, where people can watch me like a lab rat, and my sister constantly asks to get on the computer to talk to her girlfriends about their boyfriends. It's irritating.

The perfect way for me, personally, to write, is in my dimly lit room. I would love it, but it'll be a while before I can get a nice lap top.

So, I get you, man. I really do. I love writing, but some days I wonder if I'm really meant for it.

I know I am, I just sort of get self mind-gamed sometimes.
The larger part I may not have been able to type down on the blog was I'm awestruck by the amount of concentration and time I will have to put into my writing. I realized that my writing is far from having the potential to write, and I find myself wondering what mindset I'll need to properly tell my story.

My biggest problem, really, is the task of simply getting better. I have so much ahead of me, and I feel as if the weight of it will break me.

I know it's in my heart to write my story, because it's the only thing I have, but just thinking about it hurts my head.

I wish you luck in getting your book published Asaph.
Just stick with it and you'll get to where you want to be.

:bee:
Thanks. It means a lot.

Good luck with your righting project! It sounds interesting... You'll have to advertise it here when you publish it.

I've got a ton of bits and pieces of story ideas or events floating around my comp, but it never gets anywhere... and my writing has ground to a halt over the past month... which is bad because I'm taking a creative writing course. >.>

Though I think a few ideas came to me over the past couple days that hold promise (or here's hoping).
That's cool. The thing about one's writing that means the most is how it makes them feel. I know my story makes me feel as if I mean something, because, if you think about it, what importance am I? I'm one of the other six, nearing seven, billion people in the world.

The definition of my existence is my writing.

Anyway, I hope you're able to succeed with your own.

I ****ing hate writing.

That said, I admire your enthusiasm and determination.

I'm sure you'll do well.
Haha. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom