• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WP needs to find its way into everyone's hearts

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
And by the title I mean we need to learn to love it and enemies need to fear it (or Ganon should drive it into the hearts of all his foes)

But seriously I killed link and captain falcon from the middle of battlefield (link from the middle of final destination!) with an Ariel warlock punch (which if you dont know yet, does 40%) at less then 10% (link had 7% before the WP)

I think we can find a way to make this move somewhat practical by using it from the air (REALLY high in the air).

double jumping from platforms and doing a triple reverse WP gives Ganon a surprising amount of control over his forward and backward momentum, and being in the air the whole punch instead of on the ground makes him harder to hit...

I'm not saying that this makes the WP perfectly useable, BUT I have been able to recently use it consistently with the most satisfying results....

IE: Ganon vs meta knight, both at one life, me with 97% metaknight with 21%, I do the ariel warlock punch into a tornado, and bam, victory.

This, of course, assumes you DO have some mind games to speak of, and should not be attempted often unless you are confident in your ability to guess your foes reactions.

So try it out a little, its to strong to totally ignore. Or tear me and my idea apart, ha.

:034:

Smash Hero
No.

Rest assured, we HAVE tried out the Warlock Punch. We are still trying it out. But the move is just useless, there's practically no reason why you should use it over any other move except when you're fighting for the lulz. Yes, people can get hit by Warlock Punch. However, these people are idiots and should be blatantly ignored.

Warlock Punch kills are boring for the same reason: you know that the opponent just had a case of the ********. (:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey now, if Jiggly's can find a use for Sing maybe we can find a use for this... Maybe...

I'm not going to lie, I would love to find some sort of exploit with this move...

Smash Hero
Hey now, if Jiggly's can find a use for Sing maybe we can find a use for this... Maybe...

I'm not going to lie, I would love to find some sort of exploit with this move...
1: There isn't, not even ledge cancelling it is remotely useful. My friend landed it on me once, I woke up before he finished and punished him for it >_>

2: It'd only be useful if this was Street Fighter 4 and it was his focus attack... Or, worked like it. Now THAT would be sweet..

@HomE

Smash Ace
Wellllll if anyone has seen my (very outdated) Ganon video they know that I have at least a little crush on the WP...

Dutchman is basiclly right though... good people shouldnt get hit by it, ever really...

One of the only viable methods the use the WP that ive found is:
When i'm falling back down from being hit high up into the air, If you reverse the WP to increase your momentum, and time it so it hits right before or after you hit the ground.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
1) Well, you can use sing to refresh jumps and ledgehog from absurdly far away, but yeah, the actual attack sucks balls. Actually, now that I think about it, I think they found a way to refresh jumps without sing as well...

2) Yeah... But still, maybe someday... Well, okay not really, but I still really hope we find some really weird use for it, even though I HIGHLY doubt that will happen...

ShinGaruda

Smash Journeyman
It can certainly be used for mindgames for some people, even those who are not idiots. It's a scary move. Very scary. The other player will actually be SCARED for a brief moment.

...But almost never on the ground, no.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
It's really an "eh, what the hell" type of move. Volcano Kick's better than WP is, mainly because it has the WTF I'm being sucked in effect.

I've killed a Lucas with it who was trying to clank it...that's about it.

Smash Hero
1) Well, you can use sing to refresh jumps and ledgehog from absurdly far away, but yeah, the actual attack sucks balls. Actually, now that I think about it, I think they found a way to refresh jumps without sing as well...
I know. But are there vids of it? No. So it either doesn't exist (unlikely) or is very hard to do (more likely).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I know. But are there vids of it? No. So it either doesn't exist (unlikely) or is very hard to do (more likely).
Actually there are, but yeah, it's the second option.
Or did you mean refreshing without sing, in which case, yeah, you're right.

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
Hey, I used to frequent the Jigglypuff board . . . when did they figure that out? It may be difficult, but it looks very useful.

TP

Smash Master
Hey guys, I though of a use for Warlock Punch. If your opponent is a planking MK, go for a FoG RWP stage spike. It should scare the crap out of them. :laugh:

TP

Smash Master
Doesn't the Murder Fist (much cooler name) have that awesome double reverse recovery feature?
It technically helps a bit on distance, but you are so vulnerable both before and after the punch itself that it is not worthwhile in pretty much any situation.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
As everyone knows, Warlock Punch never KO at 0% but already very low percentages it's starts to KO at most times. But his dair meteor smash it's hard to survive even at 0%.

Smash Hero
As everyone knows, Warlock Punch never KO at 0% but already very low percentages it's starts to KO at most times. But his dair meteor smash it's hard to survive even at 0%.
Not when your first name is 'Meta' and your last name 'Knight'.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ahhhh... there's always an exception to every rule, and in Smash it's always Metaknight.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
WP owns if you use it like in TP's combo: "Utilt shield break -> Reverse WP" lulz

#1 (If) someone starts loading a laggy Fsmash just out of reach, you can emeditely start a WP.

#2 (If) someone starts loading a laggy Fsmash from a little longer distance, you can Utilt.
(Utilt would get their Fsmash to hit you if you used it in scenario #1)

It can be pretty cool of a mindgame to start a WP after a 2 or 3-hit juggle on an opponent. Sometimes their will to counter attack (thinking you'll jump & juggle more) makes them jump straight into it with their aggression.

I also got a frame trap (sort of) after Gerudo:
Gerudo -> instant backwardsjump+instant WP (without reversing it!!).
If they wait a split second and then press A to "get up attack", the WP will be perfectly spaced and
garanteed to hit... "Z1gma's death trap" :lick:

But seriously, I agree. WP over all sux!

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
Ha, that Picture is amazing. Got me on that one.
Flying WP should be called "the little mermaid" (or "the little murdermaid" for more accuracy) from now on.

But yeah everything that has been said I would have to probably agree with, some things I said have even been repeated, but like I said in the op, I don't think it is practical but I still think there is the chance that such a move could be exploited (in the air of course only)... or more like I just wish there was a way.

x_Deity_x

Smash Cadet
Deity lawled at the Arieldorf picture. xD

On topic - agreed. Murder Fist sucks, and really shouldn't be used in a serious match-up. Sucks even harder on the ground - Volcano Kick is superior. Deity has used it successfully on numerous occasions, though he's really not pro material. A lot of the times it worked was because his opponent was being a tard and he was taking advantage of it.

Deity's compilation - seen here - includes some of the better instances of the Murder Fist being successful. All of them are a result of either a silly opponent, or mindgames...so, don't take it as an attempt to prove MF's usefulness. If Deity doesn't know his opponent very well he won't try to use it. If he's almost certain of their next action, it's worth throwing out there.

The double-reversed version is fun to use during recovery, but not for recovery. Deity finds that if the only way he can get back is by using the DRMF (rare, if ever), his opponent will likely jump out and take advantage of the vulnerability - rather, he'll use it when recovery wouldn't be an issue, but his opponent might jump out to edgeguard anyway. He'll double-reverse it and DI away from the stage, then use his midair jump/UpB to recover. It usually is effective in making his opponent second guess themselves and return to the stage, though it doesn't work much at all on Kirby, Dedede, Jiggs or Meatball. For obvious reasons~

Anyway, there're Deity's two cents~

Top Bottom