• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wow......

T3h Albino

Smash Master
I've mained d3 for awhile now about a year and my growth as a player has been exponential. Unfortunate for me there are 3 things that are keeping me from advancing to the next level as a player *winning and placing in top 10 at tourneys*. These 3 things are basic aspects of d3's metagame that even some novices may do better than me!. ME! A veteran king dedede player. It may be somewhat embarrassing to admit but, i cannot chain grab consistantly. I will chaingrab my opponent maybe 3 times then either A- **** up and do a running cg or B- **** up and not move fast enough to the person and do a sheild grab cg but the person had time to spot dodge. LOL ALBINO cant chain grab lololol. Yeah =/ soooo help with that please. Next is i cannot gimp properly. I gimp a person maybe twice out of a best 2 out of 3 set. Its not that i dont know how to gimp, it's just that sometimes i just dont go for it and when i do i end up the person getting gimped 0_0......help with this aswell. Lastly is i am a roll abuser. I roll ALOT now this isn't necissarely a bad thing its just a habit i would enjoy breaking. Rolling opens alot of oppurtunities for my opponent to punish me or learn to read me. Stopping rolling is hard though; it's like embedded in my brain that i need rolling. So yeah this is my problem help a fellow d3 player out? help me advance to the next level as a player
=] kthnxbai

•Col•

Smash Champion
Practice the chaingrabbing. Seriously. >_> It's not THAT hard...... For the gimping... I really don't know. I guess it depends on what character you're edgeguarding... But uh... How are YOU the one getting gimped for going out for an edgeguard with DDD? O_o And now the rolling... You're really going to just force yourself to stop. At the very least... Try not to roll towards the opponent.... That'll set you up for disaster most of the time. D:

Yeah..... You're just going to have to practice more.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Whenever you go to roll, slap yourself. Especially when it matters. You really don't want to stop to have to slap yourself during a tourney now, do you?

Try walking instead.

Practice CG's, on cpu's at first, then try to get someone to mash upB or spotdodge as you try to CG them across the stage.

Gimping, get real comfortable with being off the stage. Can't really help you beyond that. learn your range and whatnot.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Practice the chaingrabbing. Seriously. >_> It's not THAT hard...... For the gimping... I really don't know. I guess it depends on what character you're edgeguarding... But uh... How are YOU the one getting gimped for going out for an edgeguard with DDD? O_o And now the rolling... You're really going to just force yourself to stop. At the very least... Try not to roll towards the opponent.... That'll set you up for disaster most of the time. D:

Yeah..... You're just going to have to practice more.
i figured out the root of the problem is the fact that i press R before the dthrow animation is done causing me to think that im doing a SCG when im realling doing a DG and its not as hard to gimp d3 as you think *maybe kind of yeah it is lol*

fwb

Smash Cadet
Wow your post sounds exactly like me....I'm just overcoming the same brick wall!

For me, I found that I was grabbing too late in my CG's. All of my screwups came from running grabs or the opponent having time to get away/counter. I had to force myself to grab earlier in the dash. Previously I had been just basing it off of what I saw....throw, dash towards them until I'm close...throw again, but with DDD, his grab range is farther than the animation actually looks. So you need to force yourself to SCG earlier while it looks like they are still too far away (at least this worked for me). I noticed I had not once messed up a CG due to grabbing to early, only from doing it too late. Once I got past this, I could CG all over the place with perfection.

For gimping, I just watched many tournament and combo videos (some more than once) on youtube. I wasn't even really focusing on improving, I just noticed one day that after watching many many good DDD videos, I naturally adopted the "rhythm" and timing...and actually started off much better without even having a chance to practice first. Spend like an hour watching DDD combo videos, and then find a friend and play immediately after, you will have it down much better without even realizing it (at least this happened for me).

I also excessively roll, but to get away from it, I've worked on doing aerial approaches much more. DDD has a very good short hop game. Start forcing yourself to approach your opponents from the air or from short-hops, constantly throwing out moves. Watch M2K's DDD videos, you will notice he is throwing out aerials all the time while approaching, but few of them actually hit.....most are for spacing and giving yourself a safe approach. I personally like going in with the helicopter (series of short-hopped d-airs without touching the ground), or b-air spam. Again, just watching enough good videos of this made me start doing it naturally.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
this thread is finito ive overcome 2 out of the 3 things i needed to fix
thanks everyone for the posts and the optimism

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Next is i cannot gimp properly. I gimp a person maybe twice out of a best 2 out of 3 set. Its not that i dont know how to gimp, it's just that sometimes i just dont go for it and when i do i end up the person getting gimped 0_0....
Just try reading you're opponent, try wasting there jumps with Fair's and Bair's or maybe follow up with a WoP(Wall of Pain).
Or just stage spike them.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Advance to the next level = experience

/thread

try to learn while playing, there is not much you can actually learn from replies in this topic

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
As Tero said experience is the way to go
Just keep playing and sooner or later you'll be able do the sheild CG and the WOP and wats wrong with rolling as long as u dont get punished (I'm a rollaholic too :) )

Top Bottom