• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WOW the DI in SSBB is...

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Really really good! It feels like SSB64 DI a lot, with a twist of melee DI too.

Like, against ALL multi hit attacks you can DI right through them before they're even done attacking or DI away. I've done this numerous times especially vs PIT and METAKNIGHT. Like if you get hit by Pits forward B or whatever the spin thing is... SLAM your control stick in the reverse direction pit is facing MULTIPLE times and you'll end up behind him and he's open for an attack. LOL

As a SSB64 player myself I'm thrilled to have this old DI back! Just try it! Slam your stick to a way out of a multi hit attack multiple times, you'll be out in less than a second.

... now if the COMBOS worked like SSB64 it'd be a super fun game! :D

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Nope. There was none. That was why Ness' D-air was so powerful. You couldnt DI out of it.
You're wrong. There's plenty of DI in SSB64.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWWivyLUoUQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nJT_NpGP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP46Y7GmYts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmjhi4vhuD0

If you think it's fake because they're TAS videos then you're wrong yet again. They're all do-able (maybe the PIKA vs FOX UPSMASH one is pushing it as far as human capabilities, but Ive seen similar stuff in game).

If you want to see in game DI just look for videos of good players or Isai.

So yeah I just DI'd out of Pits F-smash many times. if you're close enough when the first hit hits, you can DI behind pit. If you're far from it, you can DI away (this is hard) and not get it by the 2nd hit.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
uhh...>_>;

melee DI > smash 64 DI

Dash_Fox said:
... now if the COMBOS worked like SSB64 it'd be a super fun game! :D
I think you actually mean, "If there WERE combos, it'd be a super fun game! :D"

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
uhh...>_>;

melee DI > smash 64 DI

I think you actually mean, "If there WERE combos, it'd be a super fun game! :D"
O hey I'm dumb :embarrass

LET'S ALL HAIL ISAI'S COMBO ABILITY
Now granted this video is the Isai, King of Smash 64...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRIhwA0JWT0
...Well. It's pretty amazing. But given that he can do that, what can the rest of us mortals do?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWmw7FOf-n8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FJyKRfxHz8&feature=related

Japanese version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS_jz5t3lZs

*Edit*
Hi Dash...I'll play you on console one day :psycho:
Excited about the DI, my SSB64 DI is...decent I'd say.

*Edit2*
I totally didn't mean that Ka-master :) Being up at 3:30 AM does things to people...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wenbobular, Ka-M was talking about Brawl lacking combos, not 64...

Also, Smash DI/Tap DI/the only kind of DI you get in 64 was present in Melee. It's just that the hitlag was much smaller so you didn't have as much time to pull it off.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Wenbobular, Ka-M was talking about Brawl lacking combos, not 64...

Also, Smash DI/Tap DI/the only kind of DI you get in 64 was present in Melee. It's just that the hitlag was much smaller so you didn't have as much time to pull it off.
I'm aware :dizzy: see my edit...it's too late in the evening/too early in the morning, forgive me :)
And no, it's different. In SSB64, you could Smash DI without returning to neutral...not true for Melee. I got used to it, but I did like my Smash64 Di...

And thanks Winston, but my DI totally gets worse on the console for no reason whatsoever :psycho:

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Lol, the biggest "combo" I've been able to do so far is fox's drill kick to u-tilt x2 at low percentages. Haven't had much success otherwise.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Brawl is amazing for punishing people for DIing "too good."

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
hmm... Any chance you can do that with a Wiimote alone? Both my GC controllers are broken, supposed to get new ones sometime this week or the next one, but meanwhile I keep getting spam ***** for crazy precentages until I manage to escape normally =\

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Ok, how do you smash di? I know u use the C stick with the control stick, but how exactly is it done? And sorry for this noobish question too, but are the directions you di the same from melee?(ie. if ur nocked upward di the way your opponent was facing when u were hit, and di up and towards the stage when knocked sideways? I'm talking about finishing moves)

infomon

Smash Scientist
While you're in hitlag (the time when you're being hit and frozen, before you start flying away), hitting any direction on the control stick will teleport your character a little bit in the direction you input. This is Smash-DI (SDI). I think some directions work better than others depending on the attack. It's especially useful in multi-hit attacks; like say you get stuck in a smartbomb, you can just keep hitting directions and move all over the place inside of the explosion.

With the C-stick set to Smashes, it just inputs a tap of the control stick along with the Attack button, so it works just as well for smash-DI'ing. In fact, this lets you input two different directions at the same time, which can help you SDI even more. But if you input the same direction with both sticks, it only counts as one, lol.

Additionally, rotating a stick counts as multiple inputs; otherwise I think you need the stick to return to neutral. This is called "quarter-circle DI", where you just rotate the stick around on the directions you want to go (say, up-right to up-left to try and get out of an attack upwards). This can be really fast, and if you can quarter-circle DI both sticks you should be able to get out quick. It's great for escaping multi-hit attacks, especially when the last one has all the knockback ;) like Pika's Dsmash.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Umm... you could DI multi-hits in Melee. It just that it was much faster than Brawl, thus it was harder to do. And SSB64 barely had any (S)DI.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
There has been SDI in every Smash game. DI is particular unto the last two games, and afaik only Melee had ASDI (Automatic Smash DI), which allowed you to hold be holding a direction before hitlag, and input a less potent SDI, if I recall correctly.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
It's much easier to DI out of attacks but there's almost no way to SDI to survive devastating attacks.
Snake's utilt will always kill Mario at around 103% ± 2% while in SSBM you can survive in WTF% on almost any attack given that you DI extremely well.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Yeah.. this thread is a few months old......

♥But it's pretty ironic how I unintentionally bumped this thread with this post too. ;)

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Lol, the biggest "combo" I've been able to do so far is fox's drill kick to u-tilt x2 at low percentages. Haven't had much success otherwise.
Try Sheik. I've had Jab, grab-Dthrow, Utilt, Ftilt, Ftilt, Utilt, Ftilt, Ftilt, Ftilt, Ftilt.... (repeating )... Usmash.

Top Bottom