• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wow, Mario Kart is better.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
I don't know why they took the little bomb dude out of battle mode..

you know, after you died, you could ride around as a little bomb and run into someone....

m'right?
That, and the sun sprite one.
The Bob-ombs and Shine Sprites were excellent additions into 'battle mode' from Mario Kart Double Dash!!
Hopefully the online in Mario Kart wont be broken like DD and DS...
I'm not sure that Double Dash had wifi.
Any game you can play as Toadette is one of the Best games. But any game you can play as Kirby is the Best game. <3
What if every game had:kirby2:? Awesome.
Galaxy sucks. Its a game built for kids.

Mario Kart rocks. Its a game built for everybody.
Galaxy was great. It was able to mimic the basic gameplay that Super Mario 64 had, which was a great game. But at the same time, give the game a unique aspect that was made for the Wii. Saying that Galaxy is atrocious because it was "too childish" seems baffling.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Most of those are Xbox360 FPS games.

And how could you forget Splinter Cell? j/k I love those games though
Yeah i know but his point was that video games in general are built for kids

So this proved that wrong

LOL.

On a BRAWL forum you're saying a game sucks because it's built just for kids. How ironic.
Brawl isnt actually a kids game. Its rated as T for Teen in America, and 12+ in Europe. Its a fighting game, fighting games are very commonly aimed at an audience above kid-age. There is no irony in what I said.

Galaxy is a 3+. This isnt what makes it a kids game though, many great games are aged 3+, for example Mario Kart. What makes Galaxy a kids game is the fact that it was made at a difficulty level that was applicable to kids. They planned each level and each task so that they wouldnt be too challenging for a small child to undertake, and the reason they did this is because they knew it would please the majority of the Wii's audience, kids.

Compare it to Super Mario 64. I first played that game only a few years ago, so my gaming interlect and skill was barely lower than it is now, however I did find parts of that game very challenging. It took me quite a while to master how to obtain certain stars, some were located in positions of which I did not know how to locate. I now find the game very easy, but that is only after completing it on several occasions.

Super Mario Sunshine is even harder, I only have 85/120 stars even now. I literally cannot find the other ones, and the ones I can find I cant do the task which is required to obtain them. They definately upped the difficulty from SM64.

Now you could argue that I am not a good gamer in light of these aspects, and that may well be the case, but if it is, why do I find Super Mario Galaxy so easy? Its because Nintendo dramatically lowered the difficulty level from the previous two games. The only reason I bought Galaxy is because i naturally assumed it would be like the previous two. It wasnt. The tasks are far less challenging. I cant remember myself getting even slightly frustrated during the entire time I played that game. You could now argue that thats because I am a ver good gamer, but if that was the case, why did/do I find the other two games so hard?

I have been criticised for this before, but I still say that Galaxy is too easy. I really think they structured the game so that younger players would be able to play and enjoy the game, and by doing this, they removed the need for skill and intelligence. Thus, the game is too easy for older players to enjoy.

And I found Galaxy to be an amazing game. It's really, really cool how all the levels are round, and the gravity switches and platforms really make your brain work at understanding the spatial aspects of the game.
I never criticised the actual layout of the game, I think the introduction of fully-rounded platforms and the new aspect of gravity was a great idea. I only questioned the difficulty of the game itself. Had the game been just like it is, but as difficult as Super Mario Sunshine, it would be one of my favourite games. It WOULD have made your brain work if each task actually proposed something to think about.

Galaxy was great. It was able to mimic the basic gameplay that Super Mario 64 had, which was a great game. But at the same time, give the game a unique aspect that was made for the Wii. Saying that Galaxy is atrocious because it was "too childish" seems baffling.
I have maybe already explained this above, but I dont have a problem with the gameplay itself. I have a problem with the difficulty being too low. This gameplay mixed with a higher difficulty level would have been great, I would have enjoyed playing it.

Sorry for the essay, just wanted to explain my reasoning.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Except Super Mario Kart. Go Koopa!
Anyway, there seems to be confusion on what lag is. Every single brawl online game has lag. However, not all of them have lag spikes. Lag spikes are inconsistent bursts of lag; the kind that make games freeze. The other kind of lag which some call "button lag" is the delay between pressing a button and the action taking place. Anyone who plays an FPS online with a good connection doesn't see that kind of lag because all info goes straight from player to server rather than player to player, thus making each player's lag completely dependent on the player's own connection and the server and no one else. If one player lags badly, the only way others can tell is that this guy will look strange running around even though the player lagging can't see movement on his screen due to heavy lag. This is because players aren't required to be in sync with each other.
In Brawl, the players must remain in sync, and this means that if one player lags, both feel it. Also this means both players must process the inputted action before it takes place. Given the Wii's limited processing capabilities, and the natural amount of time it takes to send all the inputs back and forth, there is always a sickening button lag. It's something I am used to from online play for AoC(Age of Empires: The Conquerors)(yes I still play this game). Even being a 10+ year old game made for dialup on 128MB RAM, modern broadband and 2GB of RAM with fast processors can't even remove the input lag from online play. Hardly any games played online in sync with others will be able to avoid button lag. This is just how playing games in sync with players instead of on a server works.

Netz0r

Smash Rookie
IGN-
Mario Kart- 8.5
SSBB-9.5
Ratings don't mean everything. :D

However, I have to agree that while Mario Kart's online is better, Super Smash Brothers Brawl might be better overall. However, a good online plays a good key factor in replay-ability for me, so I may end up with more hours on Mario Kart than SSBB. 'Tis a shame.

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
I was under the impression that was Halo's selling point because it sure wasn't the single player experience.

From what I understand, there's an item switch for local multiplayer in Mario Kart, but you can't set individual items on or off, only the frequency. The graphics are kind of sad; I'm not looking for awesome graphics when I buy a game, but Mario Kart just drops the ball compared to Galaxy and Brawl. On the video at EB Games' site, Wario's bottom half is blocky as hell and looks like it's in an N64 game. They also removed the ability to unlock things with 2 players in Grand Prix. They butchered the battle mode so you have to be on teams, removed the bombs you could race as, etc. And the roster sucks as well. More so than Brawl's if you were disappointed with Brawl's for any reason. Mario Kart features 4 baby characters (including baby DAISY of all things) while removing other characters like Petey. And with the addition of new items, the item spam is as bad as it was in Double Dash.

It's going to be fun, but it makes me appreciate the time Sakurai put into development for Brawl (even though I don't like what he actually did) because Mario Kart is a bare bones release.
If you aren't worried about graphics why did you bring it up? At the end of the day it comes down to preference. Dont try to convince other people that mk wil be worse let them think what the want. The point I find that is essential is that when you dont have any1 local to play with at the moment and when offline loses appeal its nice to have a game that doesnt lag and has a good amount of options online. Unlike brawl mk has that. In terms of the better game overall... well I dont know yet I will after his weekend, and this fruitless discussion of which is better shold stop until the american release.

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
ugh

No, maybe its online is better ( not by much though- get a better connection).But the online mode is not what makes a game...

Even if there was 0 lag, it would be more fun to play in your house with some friends.
Additionaly

IGN-
Mario Kart- 8.5
SSBB-9.5
ign is full of *******, their scores dont even count
ssbb got a 9.7-10 on 95% of the sites

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
If you aren't worried about graphics why did you bring it up?
I'm not overly concerned with graphics; either they work, or they don't. Mario Kart Wii's graphics feature some very bad graphics at some points. I wouldn't care about that in any other case, but it's just another example of the lack of polish in all aspects of the game.

At the end of the day it comes down to preference. Dont try to convince other people that mk wil be worse let them think what the want.
It's a discussion board.

The point I find that is essential is that when you dont have any1 local to play with at the moment and when offline loses appeal its nice to have a game that doesnt lag and has a good amount of options online. Unlike brawl mk has that. In terms of the better game overall... well I dont know yet I will after his weekend, and this fruitless discussion of which is better shold stop until the american release.
If I wanted an online experience, I'd have to be able to get something better than dial-up where I live and even then I'd probably buy a 360 if I got broadband. I'm not saying it's not fun, because it is, but the game just has a lack of polish and takes a step backwards for every step forwards. This isn't an argument for me of which is better between the two games. It's just pointing out how Nintendo has really done some stupid things and made a bare bone release.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
All racing games have little to no lag online. Mostly due to the fact that the Racers engine can predict a players movement/speed ect.

A fighter cannot do this
ok you're right on that account but there is no excuse for the crappy infrastructure

Thino

Smash Master
lol at posting game site review scores , as if they meant anything whatsoever

like someone posted earlier , mario kart wii's online is superior not only because of the lag , but also because it at least show names , when playing with anyone , you know where they're from and can know additional stuff about them , theres less feeling of anonymity .
scores
leaderboards
all things we wanted for brawl's online

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart Online > Brawl Online

Seriously, the amount of stuff you can do with Mario Kart online is great. But for the people who say there are no lag, you're wrong, Mario Kart can get laggy, it just doesn't affect you as much, e.g., one may fire a green shell and even though it look like it hit the person ahead of you, they don't actually fall till two seconds later

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
I'm not overly concerned with graphics; either they work, or they don't. Mario Kart Wii's graphics feature some very bad graphics at some points. I wouldn't care about that in any other case, but it's just another example of the lack of polish in all aspects of the game.

It's a discussion board.

If I wanted an online experience, I'd have to be able to get something better than dial-up where I live and even then I'd probably buy a 360 if I got broadband. I'm not saying it's not fun, because it is, but the game just has a lack of polish and takes a step backwards for every step forwards. This isn't an argument for me of which is better between the two games. It's just pointing out how Nintendo has really done some stupid things and made a bare bone release.
I understand what you're saying, the comment about which game is better was addressed to every1 commenting on which is better not you.

N-Plus

Smash Cadet
yeah, i know, ive heard the online is better then the off... hopefully Nintendo will step it up and fix brawls online

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Bells and whistles aside...

Brawl isn't laggy if your connection isn't ***. The difference is that Mario Kart, as well as most FPS games and the like, don't need to pause when someone's connection chokes. They can just keep on going without them with minimal fuss. Brawl simply can't get away with that.

But seriously, Brawl isn't laggy if your connection is good with the person you are playing with.
Then 99% of people's connections are laggy.

Seriously, your connection is lag-tastic unless you're within a state of someone else. Then your connection has to be good. My connection is good, and I face lag most of the time. Even if there's no physical lag, there's lots of button lag.

In any case, Mario Kart is getting a lot more attention Wi-Fi wise than Brawl is. Yes, we get Smash Service, but Mario Kart is getting PHYSICAL DLC. Mario Kart has all of this funky online stuff, and Brawl gets the shaft. Why? Probably because Mario Kart can appeal more to all of the casual gamers and it has the motion-sensor, etc, etc.

I'm really starting to hate the Wii. All of this idiocy about everyone playing it, and they're making games like Wii Fit all over the place. When asked about how they may be turning off ACTUAL GAMERS, they say "No, they can have fun with it too!" That's not the point, we can also jump off a cliff, that doesn't mean it's what we prefer.

Seriously, is anyone else wishing Nintendo had decided to NOT be innovative? I'm realizing just now that every time they decide to be innovative (DS and Wii) they start messing with franchises that had perfectly good formulas.

And? Who cares what "professional" reviewers think. Fanbase decides how good a game is, not what a couple guys writing their opinion
Yeah, unless they are a clone of you they aren't going to have the same opinion. I've learned not to trust most reviews, because 90% of them don't reflect my tastes. I mean, NewsRadio, for example, (a TV show from the 90's) didn't get great ratings, but in my opinion was the best show on TV, and still is the best show ever.

So yeah, reviews are really only there for people who actually base what they buy on reviews. The only reviews I tend to trust are Nintendo Power's (maybe because they focus on Nintendo just as much as I do?) and even then, I won't buy a game just because they said it was good. I learned my lesson after I got NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. Boy was that a waste of $50. :ohwell:

The Bob-ombs and Shine Sprites were excellent additions into 'battle mode' from Mario Kart Double Dash!!
I'm not sure that Double Dash had wifi.
What if every game had:kirby2:? Awesome.
Eh, Galaxy was okay, but I honestly liked both 64 and Sunshine better. Am I weird? Probably, because no one seems to agree with me.

It's not that I dislike Galaxy, it's just that for all of the hype it got, I don't think it was that good. Everyone went on about it like it was perfect, when it's really just an average game in my opinion. The graphics were stunning, but graphics have never made/destroyed a game for me.
I mean, it was creative with the whole planetary system, but I thought the roundness was kind of annoying, actually.

But that's my opinion, and considering I haven't heard many that agree with me, I imagine there will be very few of you agreeing with me, so...please don't flame me, it's just my personal opinion.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Eh, Galaxy was okay, but I honestly liked both 64 and Sunshine better. Am I weird? Probably, because no one seems to agree with me.

It's not that I dislike Galaxy, it's just that for all of the hype it got, I don't think it was that good. Everyone went on about it like it was perfect, when it's really just an average game in my opinion. The graphics were stunning, but graphics have never made/destroyed a game for me.
I mean, it was creative with the whole planetary system, but I thought the roundness was kind of annoying, actually.

But that's my opinion, and considering I haven't heard many that agree with me, I imagine there will be very few of you agreeing with me, so...please don't flame me, it's just my personal opinion.

Thank You, someone finally agrees with me. I was criticising Galaxy a few pages back on this same thread. 64 and Sunshine are far better.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Thank You, someone finally agrees with me. I was criticising Galaxy a few pages back on this same thread. 64 and Sunshine are far better.
Let me guess.... Galaxy's was too easy? Yea it was, with you knowing were all the hidden stars are at when you collect all three normal stars, it was a breeze compare with 64 and Sunshine. But I like Galaxy the best with no questions in my option.

Back on Track: So far, Mario Kart Wii didn't prove to be better than Smash bros. Brawl, in fact, it's not near as a big title as Brawl.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
Gears of War - Built for kids?

Resident Evil - Built for kids?

Hitman - Built for kids?

Halo - Built for kids?

Half-Life - Built for kids?

Unreal Tournament - Built for kids?

Doom - Built for kids?

Mortal Kombat - Built for kids?

Call of Duty - Built for kids?

I could go on, and on, and on, and on...

Think about what you said and try and work out why its completely wrong.

Then think about which one of us is right.
Most of those games are practically the same game..

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Mario Kart online has issues like racers just dissapearing then popping up infront of you and random disconnections. Also, you may finish 1st sometimes but the results say you're second or something.

Best101

Smash Ace
OMG!! I thought i was the only person, galaxy was really good i think sunshine was better and that galaxy was too overrated.
I'm with you. Galaxy is just nowhere near as fun as Sunshine and SM64 imo. Sunshine was my favorite because of the voice acting along with the hard levels

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Super Mario 64 > Galaxy & Sunshine

Brawl > Mario Kart Wii

Mario Kart Wii online > Brawl online

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Let me guess.... Galaxy's was too easy? Yea it was, with you knowing were all the hidden stars are at when you collect all three normal stars, it was a breeze compare with 64 and Sunshine. But I like Galaxy the best with no questions in my option.

Back on Track: So far, Mario Kart Wii didn't prove to be better than Smash bros. Brawl, in fact, it's not near as a big title as Brawl.
Yes, Galaxy was too easy, but I also think that it was less enjoyable than the other games. I can't put my finger on exactly why, I just didn't like it as much. Obviously you have your opinion and I'm not trying to change that, just saying that it's how I feel.

Mario Kart Wii hasn't been as big as Brawl, but Nintendo seems to be making it out to be so. Again, it probably goes back to the fact that it appeals to the casual gamers with motion-sensor and all that junk, while Brawl is really only played by hardcore Smash fans, no matter how hard they tried to make it appealing to casual gamers. I can't seem to find the Nintendo Power issue at the moment, but I'm pretty sure in one issue they said something like Mario Kart is even bigger than Brawl. Ah, found it..."Nintendo Power had never faced a threat as big as the work-stopping power of Super Smash Bros. Brawl...and then Mario Kart Wii showed up on our doorstep." Granted, they could just be using a hyperbole, or it could also be that they actually think it's bigger than Brawl.

Super Mario 64 > Galaxy & Sunshine

Brawl > Mario Kart Wii

Mario Kart Wii online > Brawl online
/topic

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
The difference is that Mario Kart, as well as most FPS games and the like, don't need to pause when someone's connection chokes. They can just keep on going without them with minimal fuss. Brawl simply can't get away with that.
Perfect reply!
First post after TC and you hit the nail on the head.

If you want to get technical, the difference is UDP versus TCP network protocalls. TCP requires a handshake mechanism, which ensures that everybody confirms everybody else throughout the game.

This makes it slower, but nobody warps around or gets an unfair advantage.

UDP is faster overall, but they use that on games where you see somebody online standing place, then all of the sudden they are 5 feet to the left, then they jump again and are right next to you swinging a sword at your head. This connection is faster because it just keeps sending the data, and never takes the time to ensure that all the users are on the same page.

For Brawl, unfortunately, that is unacceptable. If one person slows down, it's gotta pause everybody else in the game and keep it fair w/ TCP.

Prax

Smash Journeyman
In any case, Mario Kart is getting a lot more attention Wi-Fi wise than Brawl is. Yes, we get Smash Service, but Mario Kart is getting PHYSICAL DLC. Mario Kart has all of this funky online stuff, and Brawl gets the shaft. Why? Probably because Mario Kart can appeal more to all of the casual gamers and it has the motion-sensor, etc, etc.

I'm really starting to hate the Wii. All of this idiocy about everyone playing it, and they're making games like Wii Fit all over the place. When asked about how they may be turning off ACTUAL GAMERS, they say "No, they can have fun with it too!" That's not the point, we can also jump off a cliff, that doesn't mean it's what we prefer.

Seriously, is anyone else wishing Nintendo had decided to NOT be innovative? I'm realizing just now that every time they decide to be innovative (DS and Wii) they start messing with franchises that had perfectly good formulas.
As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with you. Nintendo is starting to cater to casual gamers and leave the long time fans disappointed more and more of the time.

Top Bottom