• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you be willing to delay Smash Ultimate for a year to add the following...

Would you be wiling to delay the game for a year to add the items listed in the first post.

• Total voters

volbound1700

Smash Master
volbound1700 volbound1700 Absolutely not. Even if they threw Sora in (which is the only thing I really wanted. Besides Pirahna Plant which I didn't know I wanted). There's already so much. I'd even dare say there's too much, haha! Bring it down to 2-3 months and then I'm interested. But honestly, right before the Christmas season is the absolute best time it could be released. It's all planned very well.
Vote "no" then :)

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Platforming being seemingly removed from World of Light is actually a good thing. I like Subspace a lot, enough to have replayed it a few times, but the platforming did not play to the strengths of what Smash is all about. If I wanted to play a platformer in that vein, I could play 5 other Kirby games and get a similar and, in my opinion, better experience. Melee Adventure Mode has a lot less platforming than you remember, by the way.

Meanwhile, World of Light plays to the strengths of Smash. Fights with various conditions and stipulations have been with the series since Melee, and adding the Spirits concept to give each fight a flavor they've never had before elevates the variety and creativity.

Stage Builder has been and always will be an inferior time waster. The tools present in both Brawl and Smash 4 haven't been fun to mess around with, and you're not having a good time if you stick the AI on there since they almost never know what to do. 103 stages + Omega/Battlefield variants are plenty of variety and have a bonus of not being total eyesores.

Trophies have served their purpose. As a celebration of Nintendo's (and other companies') past, Spirits lets them cast a much wider net by relying on official art. As a source of information, the various wikis and Youtube are superior and up-to-date. As collectibles, again, Spirits serve a gameplay purpose that trophies never have; most of the time the trophies are looked at once and never again. As eye-candy? You got me there, and I love seeing my favorite characters rendered in glorious HD like Star Force Mega Man, but it's entirely superfluous and it's not as if the official art is ugly. On the contrary, the official art for what we've seen so far has been full of personality.

I'm going to be honest, the belly-aching for characters has been getting on my nerves the past couple of months. Before E3, it was the cut veterans + Ridley, and K. Rool, but especially the cut veterans. By the August Direct, every one of them had been confirmed + a number of Echoes as bonuses. Despite the initial Direct making it clear that the decision to bring in everyone from the past games meant much fewer brand new characters, I've still seen many people conflating their disappointment that the Grinch hoax was fake with the game lacking content.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with wanting certain characters to be playable at some point, but there's also such a thing as keeping your expectations in check. It's entirely possible that some of these characters will indeed show up as DLC down the line. But there's no way I'd delay the game for any of this.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
We're under a month from release. I'm not waiting another year lol

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
No. Maybe if this was a possibility shortly after Ultimate was announced back in March. But we're so close to release now that there's no way I'd wait another year for that, even if several of the characters you listed are some of my most wanted.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Absolutely not the only thing I cared about on that list is Dixie Kong and she would NOT work as en echo and while I love Dixie, I LOVE K.Rool even more and I've waited 10 years for him to return to a new Nintendo game I don't want to wait an extra one.

Not to mention if it was delayed a year, Nintendo's holiday season would be ABYSMAL. Since let's be honest here the only two games that are keeping the Switch alive this year are Pokemon Let's Go (even then that game is very divisive) and Smash Ultimate. Everything else Nintendo has released this year has been either A. an overpriced Wii U port (Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors) or B. an extremely mediocre game/product in general (Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, Super Mario Party, Sushi Striker, LABO).

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I've had this same idea in my head before, and I would wait a year in a heartbeat. All of the characters you listed, especially the Chorus Kids, Banjo & Kazooie, Isaac, and Dixie Kong, are characters I have wanted for a LONG time (but no Dixie as an echo, unique please). To me Dixie is long overdue anyway and I've been waiting for a long time, so I can wait another year. While you could argue they could be added as DLC later on, it doesn't feel quite the same as having them in the base game. If they were added as DLC then they could not appear in World of Light, and to me it would be awesome to see them all appear in that mode. Getting to see interactions between Banjo and Mario, Link, and Sonic is enough to make me wait a year. And also, my answer might've been different if this wasn't potentially the last Smash game in this vein. Who knows where the series will go after this. If there is another Smash game, it could be a reboot, or a game so different than the previous installments that it won't feel like Smash. In all honesty, I doubt they'll make another Smash game with all these characters coming back, or at least a majority of them, so I wanna see as many characters together, one last time, because I don't think we can simply say, "They'll get in next time," anymore, because the situation we are facing now is so different.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's been said before, but I wouldn't delay the game even for characters that I'd want (technically I don't care for any of the generic wants listed; I only care for KI's Medusa and Monster Hunter). None of those things appeal to me except letter i, which means Medusa and MonHun, but waiting for the game already is a tough task, and I'm content with playing the game ASAP and let game patches/updates add some things when they're ready.
Plus, Smash isn't all about the roster. There's plenty other features like music and just looking beautiful as you go head to head with others, taking snapshots, and more.

So yea, voted no.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Banjo and Skull Kid convinced me, but sadly I'm gonna have to say no. There's simply not enough content to wait an entire year for. Maybe 6 months and I would consider it. I'd rather remove a character to replace with my most wanted. Take a look below.

Dark Pit < Xurkitree
Daisy < Reaper
Pichu < Banjo-Kazooie
Dr. Mario < Crash Bandicoot

I know that you are about to quote my post only to get mad about your favorite characters getting replaced. Be a civilized human please.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You can't replace characters made out of recycled resources with ones made from scratch. Especially one who's criticized for just being a recolor.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I would be fine with platforming stages, Tails, Trophies and all the fan favorite stuff on your list in the game. I would even wait for Smash 6 to have all that stuff in. Though, I would rather wait the next game to see that stuff than to miss out on my opportunity to play Smash Ultimate in four weeks.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
The only way I would be okay with them delaying this game for a year, would be if they hadn't already announced it. If they announced the game in 2019 at the same time as they did this year, then nobody would even know Smash was in development, thus there would be no real hype for it yet, and everything we've learned about Smash up to this point we would have known about in a year as well and it'd make little difference.

But as it stands, it's a definite no. We already know about so much of the game, we know the release date since E3, there's no way they could just say 'Hey guys we're going to delay the game for an entire year to add in some more features for the game, please understand'. As of right now, people would riot.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The only thing here I'd actually want would be the stage builder.

It just sounds like you want your cake and eat it too.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
The only thing here I'd actually want would be the stage builder.

It just sounds like you want your cake and eat it too.
The only thing I used stage builder for back in Brawl was to farm music discs. They removed the conveyor belts in Smash 4, so even if they do bring it back, I'm not sure I'll use it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
1. Series themed Platforming Stages to Spirits Mode (similar to melee adventure mode)
2. Stage Editor
3. The following popular Characters:
a. Geno
b. Isaac
c. SkullKid
d. Banjo-Kazooie
e. Tails (semi-echo)
f. Rayman
g. Dixie Kong (echo)
h. Chorus Kids
i. (Insert your favorite character not on my list)
4. 5 Stages related to the characters listed in a-h.
5. Trophies
Why is Tails a semi-echo and Dixie an echo?

And I would also add Toad and Meowth to this list.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I voted no because literally anything and everything on this list could be added via DLC if Nintendo/Sakurai suddenly decided it should all be included. No reason for a delay.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'd definitely have the game personally delayed for Mimikyu and Cranky Kong. Also, many seem to be misunderstanding Stage Editor. Editing existing stages, day FoD? nighttime Kirby Dreamland? Gimmie dat. I want Geno as a gab to Cloud and Banjo as a gab to Sora. A music transfer feature is a must and I always enjoyed the presence of trophies.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
It's funny how people never liked the stage editor or subspace, and yet they keep complaining about them now that they aren't here. Because it's definitely worth it to give them months of development time for you to play them once, and proceed to go and complain on the internet.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I'd definitely have the game personally delayed for Mimikyu and Cranky Kong. Also, many seem to be misunderstanding Stage Editor. Editing existing stages, day FoD? nighttime Kirby Dreamland? Gimmie dat. I want Geno as a gab to Cloud and Banjo as a gab to Sora. A music transfer feature is a must and I always enjoyed the presence of trophies.
Don't you mean Banjo as a gab to Steve?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Don't you mean Banjo as a gab to Steve?
I'm constantly forgetting about this character, dawg. Steve's an assist trophy character. I guess I might as well have Geno as a gab to Cloud and Sora since their basically the same IP.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
It's funny how people never liked the stage editor or subspace, and yet they keep complaining about them now that they aren't here. Because it's definitely worth it to give them months of development time for you to play them once, and proceed to go and complain on the internet.
they just realised that we will never know which ultimate characters can cross the fiery pit of death

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The smash fanbase is not one person.

Personally, I get huge amounts of value out of editors like the stage builder. Subspace was fun and I also really liked using all the custom moves and went out of my way to unlock every single one of 'em.

Stage builder is the thing that hurts the most tho, I had so many neat ideas for stages.

volbound1700

Smash Master
So far it looks like around 72% as nos. However, if I had said 6 months, it would probably bump it up a little based on the responses. IMO, Ultimate doesn't feel "Ultimate" as it currently stands with a lot of fan favorite characters still left out, no stage editor (I liked the brawl stage editor better than the one from 4), and a questionable Spirits Mode. I am still kind of wait and see about Spirits but it seems weak.

Ultimate is definitely "ultimate" when you factor the entire roster returning and the abundance of stages. However, I share the opinion of some on this thread that this could be the last real Smash game and I would prefer it go out with a bang rather than a rushed product that is lacking that last bit of polish.

With a bang would include having fan favorite characters like Banjo, Geno, Rayman, Dixie Kong, Isaac, etc. The fanbase of these characters have been loud since the start of this game.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
With a bang would include having fan favorite characters like Banjo, Geno, Rayman, Dixie Kong, Isaac, etc. The fanbase of these characters have been loud since the start of this game.
We also need Bandana Dee. He was literally the second highest voted new comer in Japan and did pretty great in other countries as well

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I voted No. Only the Character "I" picked for "I" made me reconsider since it means Zombies Ate My Neighbors could see a revival. But that's such huge upset for a dead 3rd party series (2 games, 2nd strayed from 1st too much) to be revived for Smash that mere idea of it is far fetched and way out of sight.

1. Series themed Platforming Stages to Spirits Mode (similar to melee adventure mode)

Pretty sure this will take more than a year to complete. While it's fun, I'm pretty sure most people will play it once and ditch it. While the Spriit mode may be underwhelming, the core of Smash will always be the Smash.

2. Stage Editor

Don't care for it.

3. The following popular Characters:
a. Geno
b. Isaac
c. SkullKid
d. Banjo-Kazooie
e. Tails (semi-echo)
f. Rayman
g. Dixie Kong (echo)
h. Chorus Kids
i. (Insert your favorite character not on my list)

Only 2 of those are likely deconfirmed currently for DLC. And some of these are cases of wanting something that really isn't meant to be had. It's more of an obsession with what one doesn't have than a actual need.

Some of these may be DLC anyways. Geno is honestly a obscure one off character that people attached to and won't drop. Isaac needs his series revived more than Smash picking him up. Skull Kid is another one off that people won't let go. Banjo and Kazooie is a duo I'd gladly take. DLC is their best bet though as they are ancient. Maybe if they are in the N64 Classic. Tails is welcomed. Rayman could be cool, another DLC pick honestly. Dixie deserves it like Toad does, but she honestly probably wouldn't excite me as much as me nodding in agreement she finally got in. Chorus kids are pretty meh designs. And I get to pick 1? Zeke with a Julie alternate costume from Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Be awesome but they'd probably be burned at the stake for not being *insert every other speculated character* in existence. My more reasonable pick would be Spring Man cause I like his design.

4. 5 Stages related to the characters listed in a-h.

Be nice to have more stages, but I'm happy with what we have to. And we're getting new ones with DLC anyways.

5. Trophies

I'm trusting Sakurai that there were a resource drain that allowed more stuff to be done without them. I'll support their removal in this case as I didn't exactly sit and stare at them very often. Lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

IMO, Ultimate doesn't feel "Ultimate" as it currently stands with a lot of fan favorite characters still left out.
>Has over 75 characters depending on how you want to count
>Isn't "Ultimate" due to a few others being excluded, some for very good reason (copyright)

I ****ing hate this community.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hell no. Ultimate looks complete in my eyes. I don’t see any reason why it should be delayed for another year for that ****.

volbound1700

Smash Master
>Isn't "Ultimate" due to a few others being excluded, some for very good reason (copyright)

Yes but 90% of those characters are rehashes from Smash 4. Smash 4 was "Ultimate" under your definition as well.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually, I liked both of them. I was hyped for both. You can see by my profile that I have been on Smashboards since 2007 in the Brawl era.

Don't assume that everyone thinks like you. I am not a huge fan of online because I don't have time to play online all of the time to compete with that crowd and it loses the personal feel of having people gather around with controllers but I don't criticize that mode.

I was disappointed with the Single Player for Smash 4 and was hoping for something big this time. I wasn't expecting SSE, but I thought perhaps something like Melee's Adventure mode (light platforming and fighting combo mix). Still, I haven't played Spirits yet. I might like it.
I always thought it would be epic though to have one platforming stage for each major series. A Mario stage, Sonic stage, Kirby stage, Megaman stage, etc.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Cool, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

D

Deleted member

Yes but 90% of those characters are rehashes from Smash 4. Smash 4 was "Ultimate" under your definition as well.
:ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpiranha::squirtle::ivysaur::ultridley::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink:

That's not 10% of the roster. That's almost 25%.

And if we do "echoes don't count"
:ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultpichu::ultpiranha::squirtle::ivysaur::ultridley::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink:

That's still 20% of the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Considering we're already getting 5 characters over the next year anyway, and I don't really care about/actively don't want any of the other things you listed, hard no.

volbound1700

Smash Master
:ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpiranha::squirtle::ivysaur::ultridley::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink:

That's not 10% of the roster. That's almost 25%.

And if we do "echoes don't count"
:ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultpichu::ultpiranha::squirtle::ivysaur::ultridley::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink:

That's still 20% of the roster.
None of those outside of Simon Belmont, Snake, Ridley, Inklings, and KRool move the needle a lot. I would trade 4-5 of those characters for historic big name characters like Banjo-Kazooie or Rayman which have multiple titles to their name and our lead characters of their series.

A good example, Smash 4 gave us Bayonetta, Megaman, Pacman, Duck Hunt Dog, and Cloud. Big DAMN Names to get hyped about.

Brawl gave us Sonic, Snake, Olimar, Wario, Dedede, Metaknight, Pokemon Trainer, Pit.

Tons of Wow characters. None of the characters since the 8/8/2019 direct are going to Wow anyone. I have yet to meet anyone that gives a flying flip about Isabella, Ken (who could have just been a skin of Ryu like Olimar/Alph), or Incineroar. People want to see Rayman, Masterchief, Doomguy, or at least star characters from multiple action series that fit the game.

It is like grabbing obscure Marvel heroes and leaving Spiderman and Ironman out of the picture.

I personally feel that if just one of the characters in my OP had been in the 11/1/2018 Direct, the fanbase would have reacted totally differently to it. I probably would have as well. Put Rayman or Tails instead of Incineroar and I would have likely changed my tune about the direct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom