• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you accept (character A) if (character B) got in?

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a fan of Geno. I think he's overhyped, and people put too much priority on him over other characters. However, I've come to realise I'd be more accepting of him if Paper Mario got in first.

So in this thread, I'd like to ask: which character getting in would it take for you to accept another character getting in? Would you accept Shadow if Tails got in first? Would Elma being confirmed lead you to support Rex? Does your dream of Dig-Dug in smash cause you to shun Lloyd?

Basically, just say "I'd let this character in if that character got in first."

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
As long as Banjo Kazooie gets in then I will be alright with Steve

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'd take any warioware character after Ashley

Also as long as Quote gets in first; I'm totally fine with Undertale.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'd be ok with 4th party characters if at least one of them makes it for real first. Until that day, I'll always be against that.

(Pokèmon doesn't count, as the games and the anime are different universes that never cross each other, and the Pokèmon material in Smash is all from the games only; Kingdom Hearts wouldn't count either for the same reason).

As long as there is a logic behind their selection (they have an huge videogame history despite being originated in other media) I have no problem with that, but I won't support this idea until Sakurai himself opens the doors first.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I'd be okay with Rex if Jin got in along with him.
This!!!!

Some other ones:
  • I'd be ok if Black Knight got in as an Ike echo as long as Celica got in too, as a Robin echo
  • I'd be ok with Incineroar, Lycanroc, Decidueye etc as long as Raichu got in as an echo and/or Gardevoir got in
  • I'd take Ashley after Mona or 9-volt
  • I'd be ok if Bandana Waddle got in as long as... Any other Kirby character got in really. Particularly Marx or Adeleine, but any of the major antagonists or unique characters count really. I'd take Kawasaki as well if he wasn't an AT
edit: to be fair tho I'm ok with mostly anyone really since Ridley got in already

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Does your dream of Dig-Dug in smash cause you to shun Lloyd?
Dig Dug in Smash? I never realized this was something I wanted...

He would make an excellent assist trophy, at least

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'd be 100% fine with Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, or a Ballot Pokemon, as long as an Ultra Beast makes it in first. Bonus points if it's Pheromosa.

Before a third Sonic character (Assuming Shadow makes it in as an Echo), I want to see a Rhythm Heaven character. There might not be any direct correlation, but I want to be reminded that Smash Bros. is still about Nintendo first and foremost before a third-party steps over the threshold and gets more characters than Animal Crossing, for crying out loud.

Before we get any more (non-Echo) Fire Emblem characters with swords, I want Veronica from FE: Heroes. Black Knight's okay, since he'd likely be an Echo of Ike, but other than that, Veronica foist.

Once we get Ashley, I'd be down for literally any other Wario character. The entire WarioWare (and Wario Land) cast is full of charm that would be cool to see in Smash, but I just want my favorite character first, haha.

Add literally every character I could possibly ask for and then maybe I'll soften up on the idea of more third-parties and indie characters.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No character could make me accept Steve or fourth party characters. I’d rather keep the integrity of Smash than satisfy any of my personal wishes.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
No character could make me accept Steve or fourth party characters. I’d rather keep the integrity of Smash than satisfy any of my personal wishes.
Agreed came in to make a snarky remark like this regarding crap like Goku or Mickey Mouse or something. I got my most wanted K.Rool but if him FINALLY being added to the game (when he really should've been there since Melee) but also Goku or something...I just can't buy the game anymore sorry.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
"I'd be ok with anyone as long as Chrom and King. K Rool get in"-Me, pre-August 8th

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Agreed came in to make a snarky remark like this regarding crap like Goku or Mickey Mouse or something. I got my most wanted K.Rool but if him FINALLY being added to the game (when he really should've been there since Melee) but also Goku or something...I just can't buy the game anymore sorry.
Well, I know that Goku is the first name that comes to mind, but I was more refering to when Sakurai apparently considered James Bond for Smash 64, because Goldeneye was a thing at the time.

I think those characters should stay away from Smash too, but I'm not completely closed to the idea in case Sakurai finds a way to make some of them fit.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'd be okay with Inklings and Incineroar if Isaac is playable.

I absolutely can not stand the design of the Inklings and Incineroar. I just can't.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I'd be okay with Marx/Magolor if Noctis (or any other FF character) is playable

I honestly think Marx and Magolor fit better as bosses.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'd be totally fine with Geno making it in (or any other SE character, really) if Terra made it in as a newcomer.

Granted, I'm already very satisfied with the game as is ever since I got my (original) dream newcomer, so in a way I'll accept anyone so long as they were from a video game.

toonito

Smash Ace
I'd be okay with Bandana Dee if Captain Toad got in first......otherwise nah.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'd be okay with Geno if Isaac and/or Sora got in.
  • Isaac- He has similar reasons as Geno, being from an older RPG, but is first party, has a just as loyal fanbase, and is the main character of his game. Geno making it in over him seems kinda like spitting in Isaac's face, but together, it just shows that Sakurai was looking at that early-mid RPG era.
  • Sora- I think that all the arguments for Sora and Geno don't really intersect, but are kinda made moot by each other. Other than Disney licensing issues, I think that Sora has just as many good reasons to be in the game as Geno, and more fans to boot when factoring casual gamers. If Sora got in though, I think that Geno could fill a third slot for SE fairly well. If Geno got in alone, I'd feel like it was kinda arbitrary picking him over Sora (unless Disney was actually a problem).

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'll be honest, I wouldn't have been so salty towards Simon Belmont if Bomberman wasn't revealed as an AT first

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I'd let this character in if that character got in first

Oooh; the question becomes a lot tougher when you phrase it like that. After all, this implies that I would ultimately accept the character. For retrospective examples which prove wrong for me, we have:

* If Bowser Jr, Daisy, and Walugi got in first, I'd be okay with Rosalina - This ultimately proves wrong though as this relies upon me being okay with there being that many Mario characters, which I'm not.

* If Sukapon and/or Urban Champion got in first, I'd be okay with Ryu - Another statement that proves false for me as this implies I'd be okay with Ryu's inclusion in a situation where Capcom already has a representative with Mega Man... which I'm not okay with.

So I'll have to give it a little thought... well there are a couple that others have already mentioned so:

* If Ashley got in first, I'd be okay with an additional Wario Ware or Wario Land character (though I'd prefer the Wario Land character as a 3rd rep).

* If Karate Joe got in first, I'd root for Chorus Kids for inclusion - I wouldn't be too upset if Chorus Kids got in over Karate Joe, as it would still mean playable Rhythm Paradise representation, but I much prefer Karate Joe.

* If both Lip and Dillon got in first, I'd be okay with Mallo - Lip and Dillon are my preferred choices for new Intelligent Systems and eShop representatives respectively.

* If Excitebiker got in first, I'd be okay with Mach Rider or other vehicle based characters getting in - Debatable with some admittedly.

This should do for now, although I will comment again if I can think of more.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While I don't really mind Jibanyan's inclusion, as far as Level-5 characters go, I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be a little peeved if he made it in while Layton gets relegated into an Assist Trophy or something. If Jibanyan does make it in and paves the way for Layton as DLC then I'm a little bit more cool with it I suppose...

All in all, I'd prefer Layton to be playable first before Jibanyan as far as Level-5 characters go.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If Vaati gets in, I'm fine with Skull Kid being in too.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd have been okay with Rosalina, Daisy and the inevitable Geno if Toad got in first. I don't mind Jr. making it in first because he's arguably as important. Doc was a mistake through and through though and Paper Mario deserved to be the second Mario.

Similarly I'd be more accepting of Daisy if Waluigi got in alongside her. They're basically counterparts. Both after Toad though.

I also think Ashley is fine but Wario should have Waluigi with him first. Waluigi is just the bigger Wario related character.

Geno really shouldn't get in without Mallow IMO as again, equals. Geno being pushed so hard whilst poor Mallow has no fanbase leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

Overall yeah I have a lot of gripes with the Mario-verse choices.

I'd have also been okay with Puff getting in if Meowth had first. He's always been the second major Pokémon character in the anime.

I'd also be okay with Shadow if Tails got in first.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll be ok with anyone as long as Geno gets in.

Even hat goomba

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'd never be ok with Waddle Dee, but I would tolerate him a bit more if Adeleine & Ribbon gets in too.
I'd tolerate him even more if Marx, Magolor and Dark Matter are in too along with Adeleine
A little bit more if an echo of Metaknight is in too (Dark or Galacta).
Another little bit more if Gooey is in too, and if Elline & Claycia is in as an Adeleine & Ribbon echo.
But I would never fully accept him, he just doesn't belong to Smash, not as playable at least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Isaac, Dixie and Impa is all I need. I could even accept Goku, Shrek, Naruto and SpongeBob if they where in.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Isaac, Dixie and Impa is all I need. I could even accept Goku, Shrek, Naruto and SpongeBob if they where in.
Imagine the reaction of people at their announcements. And what people will start to request after them.
:scared:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'd be okay with Sora if Donald Duck makes a cameo in Smash somewhere. (Not that I'd hate Sora's inclusion otherwise, but he'd go from a "cool i guess" to "game of a lifetime" with Lil Ol Fauntleroy)

I'll add myself to the growing list of "Geno has to wait in line", though if Paper Mario and Toad got in he wouldn't be the odd one out as much. That said, LOTS of Mario character are more important than him and have much cooler moveset potential (Sorry bois, mega l33t lazors haven't been my thing since I left kindergarten) but I've already accepted that he probably bull****s his way through before Toad of all characters. (And even if you see Toad as that one sad outlier, Paper Mario is another character that checks all boxes better than Geno)
When does Geno get my support? Let's just say Petey Piranha and King Boo would have to be in first.

I'd be okay with Arle if Lip got in first. Lip and the Panel de Pon series deserves justice as it's been relocalised with characters like Yoshi.

Aside from that I'm cool with any pick as long as it makes sense. Things like Beedle as the first non-Triforce trio Zelda character would be weird, for example, without some Rosalina-level moveset shenanigans or Geno-level grassroots support but not an insult to me, unlike Pinocchio's laser cannon oliberating Smash standards

Similarily, third parties like Sans would leave a wrong taste in my mouth but there's no specific single character I feel would make his inclusion suddenly good.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I would accept any Nintendo character if K. Rool got in. Oh wait!

But yes, really, at this point I wouldn't mind characters I'm not really fond of like Bandana Dee or Captain Toad as long as they are reasonably within Nintendo's all-stars. What I wouldn't accept in any scenario are 4th party characters and some 3rd parties like Steve or Sora, no sir, no how.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I've this said this before, but I honestly do mean it. If both Geno and Skull Kid make it in, I will be ok with ANY video game character, and even a lot of non-video game characters as well. I'm dead serious about this, if those two get in I would be 100000% satisfied with this roster, anything else would just be desert, and what's the point in getting cranky over desert?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
For me, 'Character B' is Dovahkiin and 'Character A' is literally anyone else. Give me the Dragonborn, and I'll go out and support every addition otherwise.

Right now, my main "I don't want this character" are the ones who would be competition to my favorites. I have nothing against Shadow and Doomguy, but if Sonic/Bethesda can only get one character, I don't want anyone in Tails/Dovahkiin's way. I also feel this way for the Zelda series, since I'd want to see Urbosa before any of the other champions, Twili Midna as a Zelda echo above other Zelda echoes like Hilda, or Skull Kid over any of the other Zelda possible uniques.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I would accept Cranky Kong or Funky Kong if Dixie Kong was added first. I love Cranky and Funky, but Dixie is probably the last Nintendo All-Star that's not playable in Smash yet. With Dixie Kong and King K. Rool, the most important characters of the Country trilogy are fully represented. Adding in Cranky or Funky before Dixie would be a disservice to the original trilogy in my opinion, it only feels right to me that Dixie comes first before Cranky or Funky.

Top Bottom