• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would brawl be better in 3D?

Harkness

Smash Apprentice
Long before I had even heard of super smash bros, me and my cousin used to play a game called Power Stone 2 for the Sega Dreamcast. It was pretty cool, and I liked the style of the game. When i leaned that it was a somewhat popular game for its time, I was even more intrigued. I've though about this for a long time and my question is, if SSB was made into a 3D format like Power Stone would it still be a great popular game?

delicious gooey load

Smash Journeyman
u act like power stone is some hidden gem you found or something.

everyone knows about power stone.

and everyone knows smash belongs in 2D

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I know what he meant.

My answer: NO! I don't think this would be a good idea, mainly because it would change so much of the initial gameplay.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I initially held it against Smash that it was 2-D. However, upon further observation, Smash wouldn't really be Smash if it was 3-D.

I like the idea, but it just would not be a smash game if people would hide behind obstactes, if projectiles need to be aimed across a 3 dimentional surface, if you needed four seperate screens for multiplayer, etc.

Its a great idea for a new game (I suggest the name Battle Royal), but not Super Smash Bros.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
What the heck is Power Stone?

On topic: No. why change something that has been done for the past 9 years?

Harkness

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to know. I mean, i always though it would be cool and even more challenging, but i see no problem as it is now. I just wanted to know other peoples opinions.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
We should have both a 3D and 2D version of this game with the same concept in each of knocking the opponent off a cliff.
We sort of got a taste of what smash would be like if it were in 3d (which I would HATE) when they added link to one of the sould caliber games.

BTW, 2d games should remain epic 2d games. Metal Slug 3d most people havent even heard of, and after Megaman x6, Megaman x became horrible because x7 was in partial 3d. Thats when everyone went over to 2d battle network(I think thats the name)

Overload

Smash Lord
dear god no. power stone is great but the awesome thing about smash is it feels like a mario platformer but it is a fighting game. There is nothing else like it, it is practically a perfect formula

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I propose that "Nintendo All-Stars" be a game with similar physics to a smash game, but x is the only jump, y is the fast fall, and the game be 3-dimentional with maps with obstacles that you can hide behind and four sperate screens. Spot dodge and all down attacks will be done with the y-button (If that can be practical), and up attacks be done with R, while L is shield and L + directional is roll dodge.

That way, we can have smash and All-Star as legit fighting games.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
No. Do you know what happened when Street Fighter tried to go 3D? It failed. Three times.

Let's be glad that Smash is 2D with a little dodging.

Why Smash would be trash in 3D:
1) No ledgehogging.
2) 4P Budokai Tenkaichi-like split screen.
3) Not enough ground combos to have a good fight.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
The "4 player split screen" problem could be solved in the future, if Nintendo ever attempts a console using virtual technology like visors. The rest..... It would be pretty hard.

Oh yeah now here's something at the bottom of this post.

hahaha made you look. but you know, I might actually let things "slip" here and there now and then.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
As much as I'd like to see a Smash-like game in 3D, I'd have to disagree. >_>

1) Projectiles would be hard to use.
2) Aerials would be hard to use.
3) There will probably be a pretty big increase in SD's.
4) Recovery might be much harder.
5) L-targeting might be a good or bad thing if Smash went 3D.
6) Camera view would take up C-stick?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
No. Do you know what happened when Street Fighter tried to go 3D? It failed. Three times.

Let's be glad that Smash is 2D with a little dodging.

Why Smash would be trash in 3D:
1) No ledgehogging.
2) 4P Budokai Tenkaichi-like split screen.
3) Not enough ground combos to have a good fight.
I'm assuming you never played PowerStone or an actual 3D fighting game that isn't Budokai. Works perfectly fine without split-screen provided your levels aren't overly cluttered with 15 different levels of platforms.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
Many people get headaches from staring at 3-D for a long time (including me), so that wouldn't be a very good idea.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
SA1, SA2, SATSR, Sonic Heroes.

Yeah Shut up fool.
I can't really see a good reason why would you use Sonic Heroes as an example of succesful 2D -> 3D..
That game was a complete failure (not just my opinion)..
And before you ask, I do have it, I have beat it, and I hate myself for doing that.. imo 2D sonics > 3D sonics, mostly.. Sonic Adventures we're good..
Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but I'm just giving out my opinion.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It would be interesting, but I think it'd be better if it was a Smash SPIN-OFF. Meaning SSB4 would still be 2D..

But personally I think a 3D Super Smash Bros. would be awesome. 2D Super Smash Bros. got really boring for me with Brawl.

Top Bottom