• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I find it hard to believe this roster lacks "star power." That's not the right term at all. How can something with Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic, and MARIO(This one's big) be lacking in star power? You can talk about individual series representation all you want, but Star power?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
\3 characters (more characters than it has games in its own series!)
Here to correct you. There are 3 Kid Icarus games in all, so the numbers are actually equal.

Even if you want to pretend the Game Boy game Of Myths and Monsters doesn't count, it still does.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
I find it hard to believe this roster lacks "star power." That's not the right term at all. How can something with Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic, and MARIO(This one's big) be lacking in star power? You can talk about individual series representation all you want, but Star power?
Two points
1. I'm speaking of newcomers exclusively.
2. Three of the characters you mentioned are 3rd party. Call me a purist but I think drawing upon only Nintendo's characters is part of what makes Smash so special.

Here to correct you. There are 3 Kid Icarus games in all, so the numbers are actually equal.

Even if you want to pretend the Game Boy game Of Myths and Monsters doesn't count, it still does.
Fair enough. I still consider KI to have way more content than warranted. I feel bad for DK fans.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Newcomers? Let's see, Bowser Jr(pretty big), Shulk(also pretty big), Little Mac(shouldn't have to say anything), Rosalina(huge fanbase that's only growing and growing).

And I don't exclude third parties. They're part of the roster, they count.

I'm seeing under-representation from franchises for sure, but a lack of star power is hardly what I'd call it.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I would've preferred the clone corner be alts instead of clones. That's really my only complaint other than a few characters I wanted in not being in.

I would also have liked more alts, like a Lucas alt of Ness, or fun things like dry Bowser

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
Newcomers? Let's see, Bowser Jr(pretty big), Shulk(also pretty big), Little Mac(shouldn't have to say anything), Rosalina(huge fanbase that's only growing and growing).

And I don't exclude third parties. They're part of the roster, they count.

I'm seeing under-representation from franchises for sure, but a lack of star power is hardly what I'd call it.
I'm actually okay with most of the newcomers (barring some that make me cringe) but I'm simply okay with it. I wouldn't have a problem with the characters we got if the other main series got characters too. I like a lot of the Nintendo franchises and I still only got 1 character that I wanted. It's like going to a Thanksgiving dinner and seeing mash potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes and a large assortment of tasty side dishes...but no turkey. It might be a decent meal but it leaves you dissatisfied. Everyone has their own 'turkey' and props to those who got everything they wanted, but if your turkey was from the Metroid, Zelda, DK or Starfox series (the franchises that made the foundation of Smash), you didn't get served. That's a lot of fans.

I'm not totally salty. I do like Robin a lot, and some veterans I like got some needed buffs but at the end of the day, I look off into the horizon and wonder "what could have been?"

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I am worried about poor connections when going on the 3DS after watching Maximillian Dood's review.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am worried about poor connections when going on the 3DS after watching Maximillian Dood's review.
He did say that it mostly depends on you and your opponents internet connection though. Maybe it'll get better on the Wii U since you can get an adapter to plug it directly into your modem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
He did say that it mostly depends on your and your opponents internet connection though. Maybe it'll get better on the Wii U since you can get an adapter to plug it directly into your modem.
Yeah that is what I am doing for the Wii U :p. My connection is terrible so I have to get a Lan adapter.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
(Don't have the game yet)
No swimming (maybe on Wii U)
No gliding
Hard to dash dance
No Mewtwo or Ice Climbers
Clones
Weird inconsistant costume feature

Last edited:

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
The huge blast zones really bug me. As a guy who isn't used to a gimp style edge game these really bother me.

Also, the clones coulda been alts in my opinion. Haven't played rhe full game but from what I've seen most clones are almost annoyingly to similar to their counter-parts with minor changes at best. I know it's been going on in smash for a while, but a smash game where every character is highly different will still remain a dream of mine.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Nothing but the lack of my mains :wolf::ivysaur:, nothing really important to me, just my mains... I didn't even spent most of my play time with them... I didn't even love them and their movesets... I'll not miss the freaking Bullet Seed and Up Smash... I'm not going to miss Wolf's fast Side and Up Smash... Nothing really important to me as I said before... Nothing

I want to cry... :(

:4shulk:, better you be in Smash5...

Booster

Smash Lord
None of them?
It may be an extremely lacking roster (Seriously, no Ice Climbers or any of the Forbidden Four?) but it has highlights:

Mii Fighters/Character Creator
Shulk
Little Mac (I loved that Wii game
Koopaling Alts (Don't give a **** about Bowser Jr himself though)

That's it, other then that it's the most lacking roster I've ever seen in a fighting game so far, Shaq Fu's roster may be worse, but Shaq Fu had no expectations, everyone knew it would suck. Smash 4 has good mechanics but the roster...I don't see why the Forbidden 4 are so...Tabuu xP

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
The worst thing about Smash 4 is the whining from certain fans. I'd decided this a long time ago, but it seems to have gotten worse since the roster was finalized. Being disappointed that a particular character didn't make it is one thing. Trying to systematically prove that Sakurai "ignores the fans" because one specific subset of the fans didn't get their wish is quite another. Actually, it's pathetic.

Booster

Smash Lord
The worst thing about Smash 4 is the whining from certain fans. I'd decided this a long time ago, but it seems to have gotten worse since the roster was finalized. Being disappointed that a particular character didn't make it is one thing. Trying to systematically prove that Sakurai "ignores the fans" because one specific subset of the fans didn't get their wish is quite another. Actually, it's pathetic.
The Forbidden Four (Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo and Isacc in that order) are pretty big, why Sakurai hasn't made any of them playable in the game has right to be questioned.

Last edited:

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
The worst thing about smash 4 is the fact that characters with no source material to draw from for alternate costumes instead got alternate characters as their alts while characters that actually have material for costumes didn't get a thing. Essentially, we got the koopa clown car as a character and not bowser jr and similarly we got pikmin and companion as a character instead of pikmin and olimar. We could've gotten dry bowser and skyward sword Zelda, to name a few, as alternate skins instead.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
The worst part of Smash 4 in my opinion is definitely the fanbase's hating of the clones.
My favorite character didn't get in.
Should I hate Rosalina? No.
Should I hate Duck Hunt? Nope.
Should I hate Bowser Jr.? No way.

I should hate the low-effort clones that have next to no role in the game's development and were complete last-minute additions, easily giving people characters they wanted.

In case it was not apparent, that was sarcasm.
I can understand not liking the development time spent on characters deemed unworthy. Really, I can. But the clones? They hurt nothing. Yet they receive the bulk of the backlash the game gets.
Agreed. I love the clones actually, and I think Wii fit trainer is way worse of a character choice than they are combined

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
The worst thing about smash 4 is the fact that characters with no source material to draw from for alternate costumes instead got alternate characters as their alts while characters that actually have material for costumes didn't get a thing. Essentially, we got the koopa clown car as a character and not bowser jr and similarly we got pikmin and companion as a character instead of pikmin and olimar. We could've gotten dry bowser and skyward sword Zelda, to name a few, as alternate skins instead.
Well, if you look at the game with a glass-half-full perspective, you could give Sakurai props for giving SOME characters alternate costumes/inspired recolorings as opposed to Brawl which had next to nothing for that. But I agree that there was a lot of wasted potential here as well as giving other characters as alt costumes detracting from the original character. Bowser Jr. was in my top 5 but I feel like his clown car is the 'character' we got (although that's also in part that he almost never leaves it).

Booster

Smash Lord
We got a Ocarina of Time Recolor for Zelda

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Eh, the only really bad thing about Smash 4 for me is Waluigi not being playable. But the Koopalings make up for it just fine. <3

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
The Forbidden Four (Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo and Isacc in that order) are pretty big, why Sakurai hasn't made any of them playable in the game has right to be questioned.
Sorry, but you're wrong, unless you mean something by "questioned" other than what I think you mean. You have every right to be disappointed that your favorite character didn't make it in. But casting some kind of judgment on Sakurai because he didn't include some character he had no obligation to include crosses well into the realm of the silly.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
Sorry, but you're wrong, unless you mean something by "questioned" other than what I think you mean. You have every right to be disappointed that your favorite character didn't make it in. But casting some kind of judgment on Sakurai because he didn't include some character he had no obligation to include crosses well into the realm of the silly.
I think he just means that considering how wildly popular and often requested those characters are, there might be other developers that could do a better job at delivering what fans want. Subjective, certainly, but we as consumers have a right to judge who we feel best represents our interests.

Starlol9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Starlol9
3DS FC
0130-3074-4775
I hate to whine but here is my 'Worst Part of SSB4 So Far'...

:lucas:,:popo:, :wolf: being cut.
I understand why :snake: was cut (though he could have returned somehow...)
I also understand why the Ice Climbers were cut but they still could have added them to the Wii U version or figured something out.
Lucas and Wolf didn't deserve to be cut at all. Sure some moves might be shared with their series representatives but they could have either altered them slightly or completely overhauled them into their own characters which I personally wouldn't mind. They are other characters after all. Especially since Star Fox is getting a new game and Mother 3 was made into a joke in the previous e3 presentation.

I don't mind :4lucina: and :4darkpit:. Though Dark Pit could have definitely NOT been a clone with all the material there is in Uprising (Sakurai pulls so much from that game yet he doesn't spend more time on Dark Pit and make him less of a clone.)
However this is coming from somebody who has poured hours upon hours into Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening.

:4drmario: is 'ermm' to me. I guess I can live with him. I never have used him before but he seems to have fans so I guess he can stay! After all I hate it when ANY character gets cut, clone or not, since every fighter is going to have a fan base and somebody that loves them.

I will eventually get over all of this but it still hurts. 2 of my mains were cut this time around which sucks otherwise these problems the roster is fine for me but I know others seriously want characters like Ridley, Mewtwo, Issac and such to return so I do hope they are added sometime, perhaps with some other Vets.

(Oh yeah... The 3ds stages are slightly lacking (that Mother stage though <3) and I hate the fact that the 3DS has limited some small things. I bet there are a few more things I also wanted to say but after writing the above I have forgotten sooooo... Yep!)

R.I.P Characters that didn't get a chance this time. :crying:

Last edited:

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually okay with most of the newcomers (barring some that make me cringe) but I'm simply okay with it. I wouldn't have a problem with the characters we got if the other main series got characters too. I like a lot of the Nintendo franchises and I still only got 1 character that I wanted. It's like going to a Thanksgiving dinner and seeing mash potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes and a large assortment of tasty side dishes...but no turkey. It might be a decent meal but it leaves you dissatisfied. Everyone has their own 'turkey' and props to those who got everything they wanted, but if your turkey was from the Metroid, Zelda, DK or Starfox series (the franchises that made the foundation of Smash), you didn't get served. That's a lot of fans.

I'm not totally salty. I do like Robin a lot, and some veterans I like got some needed buffs but at the end of the day, I look off into the horizon and wonder "what could have been?"
I really like your thanksgiving analogy here. It does kinda show how people might be viewing the roster. All the side dishes are the uniquely created newcomers and all that, and the one character that you really want is the turkey. Like you said, lots of people didn't get that turkey, myself included (king k. Rool fan here). People will react differently, of course, either bring ok with it or raging about it, and I've seen both on this site. As for me, the k.rool turkey missing was dissapointing, but the rosalina potatoes, pac-man pie, palutena ham, and iggy soup still made it a great meal (game) for me. However, I'm gonna miss that turkey. (Sniff)

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
The worst part of this game is the hype and having to deal with it while waiting for the game, also mewtwo is constantly teased in some way. Like the leaks that he'll be on the Wii U version . Its killing me , just tell me now.

Twewy

Smash Lord
You have to remember that Americans playing a game with Japanese players would have latency problems, due to the distance.

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
Knee jerk reactions from entitled fans doesn't count I suppose

My only real gripes with the game are the oversaturation of retro stages and how lackluster Smash Run is. Has the best newcomers of any game so far discounting the original, and I'm immensely satisfied by the gameplay and ambition put into it all

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Before I name the cons I am really excited for this game and have no doubt this will be one of the best entries yet. That being said here's a few things I wish went into consideration during development. Mostly character roster gripes which aren't that big of a deal seeing how fans got Mega Man, Pac-Man Shulk etc. We have a lot to be thankful for. Anyway here's my list

1. Lack of Viilians (K. Rool, Wolf, Ridley, Waluigi (Yes there was room for this guy!) etc.

2. Clones? Yes every big fighting game has it's clones but would it have killed them to maybe give some clones some different moves (Ganondorf, Lucina, Toon Link) AND! Why wasn't Dr. Mario just a ALT?

3. Not enough Reps. Fire Emblem has 4 reps and Kid Icarus has 3! Yet Metroid, Donkey Kong have only 2 characters. Not to mention Zelda is due for another rep since the Mario franchise got Roselina & Luma & Bowser Kids. Just blows my mind!

4. Female characters: Sure they added some more females this time around but I can't help but feel they could have gave us a few more. My main preference would have been Krystal since I personally feel games like DKC, Star Fox, and Metroid derserve atleast 4 reps a piece.

5. Sakurai only listen to Japan when it comes to roster selection. I mean I get it but doesn't mean I'm not BITTER about the whole thing!

6. Worried about the lack of modes. Sure hope in the coming weeks I'm proven wrong about this. Hoping for Stage Builder, and other mode options for single player and maybe at least one new multiplayer feature. One can dream!

7. The fact that DLC alts and characters hasn't been announced irks me....So much money to be made and not to mention any fan would pay. Don't believe me look up how much money MK and SF made off DLC fighters and alts!

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Before I name the cons I am really excited for this game and have no doubt this will be one of the best entries yet. That being said here's a few things I wish went into consideration during development. Mostly character roster gripes which aren't that big of a deal seeing how fans got Mega Man, Pac-Man Shulk etc. We have a lot to be thankful for. Anyway here's my list

1. Lack of Viilians (K. Rool, Wolf, Ridley, Waluigi (Yes there was room for this guy!) etc.

2. Clones? Yes every big fighting game has it's clones but would it have killed them to maybe give some clones some different moves (Ganondorf, Lucina, Toon Link) AND! Why wasn't Dr. Mario just a ALT?

3. Not enough Reps. Fire Emblem has 4 reps and Kid Icarus has 3! Yet Metroid, Donkey Kong have only 2 characters. Not to mention Zelda is due for another rep since the Mario franchise got Roselina & Luma & Bowser Kids. Just blows my mind!

4. Female characters: Sure they added some more females this time around but I can't help but feel they could have gave us a few more. My main preference would have been Krystal since I personally feel games like DKC, Star Fox, and Metroid derserve atleast 4 reps a piece.

5. Sakurai only listen to Japan when it comes to roster selection. I mean I get it but doesn't mean I'm not BITTER about the whole thing!

6. Worried about the lack of modes. Sure hope in the coming weeks I'm proven wrong about this. Hoping for Stage Builder, and other mode options for single player and maybe at least one new multiplayer feature. One can dream!

7. The fact that DLC alts and characters hasn't been announced irks me....So much money to be made and not to mention any fan would pay. Don't believe me look up how much money MK and SF made off DLC fighters and alts!
4 is pretty much entirely invalid. This is BY FAR the biggest increase in female characters in Smash history. Rosalina, Lucina, Palutena, and a few gender swap characters, in addition to giving Sheik and ZSS their own spots.

5 makes some sense, but we did get Little Mac, who's almost exclusively an American character (not even "western") and DH is most popular stateside.

Worst part that has arisen this week is these Forbidden Four people. It doesn't exist. Literally 5 days ago it was the Big Three plus Isaac, and people got so frustrated with the rosters that they lumped him in with them.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
The Miis, the bloody Koopalings, Dr. Mario, Jigglypuff and Dark Pit taking up a lot of roster space... Agh! And Lucina deserved her own moveset :(

No Fire Emblem items... How hard was to make say, a Sol Katti (restore a little health from the damage inflicted)?

A lot... A LOT of Mario **** overall.

Also, no Isaac and Mewtwo.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
4 is pretty much entirely invalid. This is BY FAR the biggest increase in female characters in Smash history. Rosalina, Lucina, Palutena, and a few gender swap characters, in addition to giving Sheik and ZSS their own spots.

Worst part that has arisen this week is these Forbidden Four people. It doesn't exist. Literally 5 days ago it was the Big Three plus Isaac, and people got so frustrated with the rosters that they lumped him in with them.
Well you're not wrong...yes they did add more females characters than ever but I guess in my own opinion not in the right franchises for the amount of roster space given. I felt Star Fox needed Krystal, DK needed Dixie(granted K. Rool was in) and Zelda needed Minda or Impa. Given a 4th character to fire emblem who by the way is a clone was a waste if a "FEMALE Slot".

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
Yeah, this confused me a bit. I wanted all 4 characters but the Big 3 and Isaac are in different leagues as far as popularity is concerned. I guess it's just a little added alliterative appeal.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I also forgot to mention Final Smashes!

Mario- really out of the million games he's done the best you can come up with is a giant fireball.....again

DK-This was the worst FS in brawl and they had a chance to right this wrong and did they??? NO!

LINK & Toon Link- both links having the same FS? Not cool seeing how Toon Link is quite different from Link. I think he deserved better.

Duck Hunt- I would have done something different like have a bunch of NES Zapper crosshairs appear and shooting at other opponents...oooo and he has to do his 8 bit laugh!

Falco Landmaster! *walks away*

Pretty much my main gripe was vets didn't get new FS. Just the same ol ones. Which was fine for some but too many repeats. I find that a bit lazy.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ganondorf! I have to play Hyrule Warriors to feel like I'm actually playing Ganondorf and not a chunky slow Captain Falcon! Swords, Dark/Fire/Lightning magic, THAT is Ganondorf. Might as well include WW Ganondorf as a clone of Wario.

And Toon Link...could have some unique moves...

Sakurai needs to show Zelda characters more love. Two of them are clones/semi clones, there are 5 Zelda reps yet 3 different final smashes?

It's nice all his lame (IMO) characters ALL got shiny new Final Smashes (except Meta Knight?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom