• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Final Smash?

D

Deleted member

With the exclusion of Peach, Daisy, Rosalina and Jigglypuff because they are too easy. I believe this spot goes to Zero Suit Samus. Her Final Smash for the most part, is just a vertical version of normal Samus' Final Smash, which makes it less useful. It also defeats the purpose of "Zero Suit Samus" IUAM. Her previous Gunship one is much better.
What about you guys?

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't consider Peach and Daisy's Final Smashes bad, a free fully charged Smash attack and healing yourself are a great alternative to a super massive attack in my opinion.. Rosalina's also got buffed since the stars attract the enemies instead of ejecting them and you can add some damage while they're trapped.
Also Jigglypuff can keep many opponents out of the stage with her Final Smash so I think it's good as well.

Now I agree with you on ZSS Final Smash, I'd also add Lucario's one for the same reason.
Ness and Lucas' Final Smashes are easily avoidable as well.
The Belmont's Final Smashes seem shorter compared to similar ones like Captain Falcon's or Star Fox's.
Sonic's Final Smash is ridiculous in Ultimate, not enough damage or knockback and doesn't cover an important part of the screen.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I think Sonic’s final smash takes the cake, even if we include Peach’s, Rosalina’s, and Jigglypuff. Those three final smashes have their uses. Sonic’s has no kill power, it rarely hits the other fighters, and it is short. It is just completely worthless in every regard.

Aside from Sonic’s, Zero Suit Samus’s new final smash is pretty bad as well, Corrin’s final smash is kind of boring to watch, Belmonts’ have no range to catch their opponents, Wii Fit Trainer’s is slightly better, but still lackluster and easy to avoid and Mario’s is just as useless as it has been for ten years.

D

Deleted member

You may think Corrin's Final Smash is boring but about Chrom and Marcina's ?
Also Robin, Ike, Cloud and Mii Brawler's Final Smashes are way too similar, now that's boring to watch.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I think Luigi’s is pretty lame. It’s not flashy, it’s easy to dodge, and it involves the use of an ordinary vacuum cleaner.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
peach final smash bad...?

are we on the same dimension?

i mean... im starting to phatom a guess that you are thinking in 8 players smash... mayeb there its bad.

but in 1v1 peach final smash is beyond broken.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Honestly?

All of them. I'm all for super moves in fighting games, but Final Smashes (from a balance standpoint) have always been a trash fire and there's no sign that will ever change.

I feel Nintendo is JUST NOW, over 10 years after first showing Final Smashes, taking steps they should've on day one like having weaker metered FS's and also trying to keep transformation FS's out of the game.. but it's still a tragedy and no where near viable in a competitive setting. Imo, FS's are too imbalanced to be fun in EVEN CASUAL settings.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
With the exclusion of Peach, Daisy, Rosalina and Jigglypuff because they are too easy.
You think that Peach's and Daisy's FSs are easily the worst? They are in the top 5 of best Final Smashes, possibly even top 3. They heal about 60 damage and at worst are as strong as a fully charged Smash and at best they are used on an opponent that is offstage in which case they are an easy KO. In addition they are extremely difficult to avoid. I think that the dancing princesses are right up there with Zelda's Triforce of Cheapness on the FS OPness scale.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Don't Peach and Daisy's Final Smash do damage before putting the opponent to sleep, like 20-30%? Anything that sticks you with that + the damage and knockback of a FULLY CHARGED smash attack (which their final smashes basically assure) and can't be avoided PERIOD is busted beyond belief. It's easily the best one in this game. It's a win button, it sticks you with a lot of damage, can't be easily avoided at all and sets you up like a wrapped present to be smacked with a fully charged smash attack after. It completely invalidates the opponent's stock when used 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Pair Up just because Chrom's still in it.
Honestly?

All of them. I'm all for super moves in fighting games, but Final Smashes (from a balance standpoint) have always been a trash fire and there's no sign that will ever change.

I feel Nintendo is JUST NOW, over 10 years after first showing Final Smashes, taking steps they should've on day one like having weaker metered FS's and also trying to keep transformation FS's out of the game.. but it's still a tragedy and no where near viable in a competitive setting. Imo, FS's are too imbalanced to be fun in EVEN CASUAL settings.
I think you're kind of missing the point. If you can't have fun with them, fine, but I rather enjoy most of them.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
It's hard to have fun with a win button, casual perspective or not, so no I'm not missing the point. They're poorly designed, in and out. Poorly implemented to boot.

I'm 100% okay with items (save a few) yet I'd never want to play with them outside of friendly settings on nights where I'm drunk with friends, which is rare. I still like items, despite never using them and understanding how they hurt competitive play. Final smashes, on the other hand, I just hate. They're outright bad and have been since Brawl.

At least, in theory, if a busted item falls to the stage anyone in the match can pick it up and use it. Final smashes are poorly balanced win buttons in many instances where one character will have a total joke of one, then their opponent have one that can kill at 0%. Casual, competitive, intoxicated.. however you play the game, they're objectively flawed.

They should've NEVER been based on Smash Ball items and always should've come out of a built-up meter overtime like in Ult. They could have a stronger version in Smash Balls for item games, but they should've never been the original / primary means of obtaining them. Going forward, they should've been balanced FAR better. I understand you can't make it all equal, but it's inexcusable to have some characters have a FS that's basically not even worth using while other ones have a literal 0-death win button. Poorly designed AND poorly implemented like I said.

I WISH, they weren't. As said above, I'm fine with the idea of super moves in fighters even if I personally don't like them, but the way Smash has done it is just.. bad.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Don't Peach and Daisy's Final Smash do damage before putting the opponent to sleep, like 20-30%?
Seems like it pays to be a princess in casual Smash.
They should've NEVER been based on Smash Ball items and always should've come out of a built-up meter overtime like in Ult.
What I dislike about the meter is that it fills up fastest when it's owner is getting hit. Thus it serves to equalise each player's chance of victory.

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
You may think Corrin's Final Smash is boring but about Chrom and Marcina's ?
Also Robin, Ike, Cloud and Mii Brawler's Final Smashes are way too similar, now that's boring to watch.
I forgot about Marcina’s final smash at the time of writing that. I think their final smash is pretty lame, but at least it is quick and it is satisfying to send your opponent to another dimension with. Corrin’s final smash is just underwhelming when you compare it to Bayo’s, Shulk’s, Dedede’s, Incineroar’s, and other fighters with special animations. I think Chrom’s final smash is alright. It is very satisfying to land. I just don’t find Corrin’s very satisfying at all.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Seems like it pays to be a princess in casual Smash.

What I dislike about the meter is that it fills up fastest when it's owner is getting hit. Thus it serves to equalise each player's chance of victory.
Yeah, it was a good idea on paper compared to Smash Balls, but still executed very poorly.

D

Deleted member

I have avoided being killed by the final hit of ZSS's Final Smash simply by dodging away during the delay before the final hit.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
If we're talking WORST final smash just, based off how they are as-is and ignoring how busted they are outright, Puff's FS is functionally useless in 90% of situations and can be avoided outright once activated most of the time. I'd say it's one of if not the worst one. I'm not the biggest fan of Lucas/Ness' FS or Mario's FS either. At least WiiFit's FS has the ending projectile, Mario's is just so.. eh. Ken and Ryu have a pretty trash one as well.

My least favorite Final Smashes, however, are ones that involve cutscenes. They're cool to see the first few times, but after that it's just an annoying break in the action and it made my play through Spirit and Classic Mode a total chore when I was farming challenges after launch when matches came up where characters used them.. especially Spirit Battles where constant FS's were happening.

Last edited:

Combew

Smash Rookie
Hate to say it but rosalina's is doo doo, unless ur opponent walks directly into it, after that i think its sonic's

1FC0

Smash Lord
Sonic's Final Smash seems pretty bad compared to what it was. In SSBB Sonic's Final Smash was a guaranteed KO but now it seems pretty easy to avoid. Not sure how it stacks up with the rest but it has to be one of the most nerfed Final Smashes.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
The only transformation final smash I ever liked was Giga Mac in Sm4sh, and that's just because I'm a big Punch Out! fan and it has little to do with the actual move. I remember Super Wario Man as well, that one was pretty busted.. as were the Landmaster ones. I'm glad Super Sonic was nerfed, all that being said.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's hard to have fun with a win button, casual perspective or not, so no I'm not missing the point. They're poorly designed, in and out. Poorly implemented to boot.

I'm 100% okay with items (save a few) yet I'd never want to play with them outside of friendly settings on nights where I'm drunk with friends, which is rare. I still like items, despite never using them and understanding how they hurt competitive play. Final smashes, on the other hand, I just hate. They're outright bad and have been since Brawl.

At least, in theory, if a busted item falls to the stage anyone in the match can pick it up and use it. Final smashes are poorly balanced win buttons in many instances where one character will have a total joke of one, then their opponent have one that can kill at 0%. Casual, competitive, intoxicated.. however you play the game, they're objectively flawed.

They should've NEVER been based on Smash Ball items and always should've come out of a built-up meter overtime like in Ult. They could have a stronger version in Smash Balls for item games, but they should've never been the original / primary means of obtaining them. Going forward, they should've been balanced FAR better. I understand you can't make it all equal, but it's inexcusable to have some characters have a FS that's basically not even worth using while other ones have a literal 0-death win button. Poorly designed AND poorly implemented like I said.

I WISH, they weren't. As said above, I'm fine with the idea of super moves in fighters even if I personally don't like them, but the way Smash has done it is just.. bad.
Very few are instant win buttons. Especially with the meter. Plus, you can simply dodge a lot of them. I don't think they're really meant to be balanced for the most part. They're just fun little over the top moves that are enjoyable to watch. I think your problem is your thinking in terms of traditional fighting game super moves which these are not. Well, Ryu and Ken's technically are, but that's not my point.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I liked Diffusion Beam a lot especially the glitch it had in Bridge of Eldin where Diffusion Beam can be extended to last forever. Diffusion Beam is also as far as I know the most damaging Final Smash in all of Smash when executed properly since it supposedly could do around 300% damage.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Very few are instant win buttons. Especially with the meter. Plus, you can simply dodge a lot of them. I don't think they're really meant to be balanced for the most part. They're just fun little over the top moves that are enjoyable to watch. I think your problem is your thinking in terms of traditional fighting game super moves which these are not. Well, Ryu and Ken's technically are, but that's not my point.

Even though I disagree entirely with the notion it's 'very few' of them, even 'very few' is still a problem. I also don't care for 'just dodge it' arguments because that logic also didn't hold up when put up against things such as Wobbling in Melee. For years people said just dodge their grabs, and now it's a massive controversy.. as it should be imo. Regardless, I only bring that up because it's a similar path of logic, broken things shouldn't exist in games just because some (though not all, others are near impossible to avoid like Peach / Daisy) are avoidable or because it's a more casual aspect of a game. If it exists, it should be balanced and implemented well. Final Smashes are, nor ever have they been, either.

They're bad. Instant win buttons, gimps and etc will always be bad. It disproportionately changes the flow of the match when it comes into play, and even from the most casual standpoint you can imagine can be easily seen as extremely imbalanced and poorly done. Nobody is having the time of their life in Classic Mode with their friend only for the run to be brought to a halt by a Zelda Final Smash they had little to no chance of avoiding in the current circumstance only to stop and think.. yeah that's about right, I liked that.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Mario's is just boring. 'Okay so what if instead of throwing fireballs, Mario threw ... lots of fireballs?'
The guy's been in so many games that I'm sure there's plenty of other final smashes he could have.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Not bad in terms of how useful or useless it is, but I hate final smashes that take everyone off of the stage so they have to watch some cutscene. I was hoping when Sakurai said that FS were going to be quick and get back to the fighting, he meant getting rid of those cutscenes.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

THIS, while i disgress that the smash ball is a bad aquisition method( is probably the best one IMO) the combination between the bar that you cant do anything about it being charged, and as you put it, literal win buttons just doesn't work. is not about competitive or not, is just not fun.

it wasnt fun in playstation battle arena, its not fun here

u can simply dodge a lot of them. I don't think they're really meant to be balanced for the most part. They're just fun little ove
try dodging a lingering grab box the size of 2 donkey kongs, or a button that can disable you for landing EVERYWHERE on the stage...

some of the final smashes are win buttons, and thats bull****.

at least with the smash ball there is some counterplay in teh form of grabbing (or punishing the attempts at grabbing) the ball. But it doesn't work at all with the Final Smash meter :/ since you cant really do much about it filling up.

Arthur97

Smash Master
THIS, while i disgress that the smash ball is a bad aquisition method( is probably the best one IMO) the combination between the bar that you cant do anything about it being charged, and as you put it, literal win buttons just doesn't work. is not about competitive or not, is just not fun.

it wasnt fun in playstation battle arena, its not fun here

try dodging a lingering grab box the size of 2 donkey kongs, or a button that can disable you for landing EVERYWHERE on the stage...

some of the final smashes are win buttons, and thats bull****.

at least with the smash ball there is some counterplay in teh form of grabbing (or punishing the attempts at grabbing) the ball. But it doesn't work at all with the Final Smash meter :/ since you cant really do much about it filling up.
Except most of them aren't even that strong. Granted, a few like Ridley's can instant KO, but it's also probably not KOing before 100% since it's a meteor smash (for some reason). Diddy's I think is the only really oppressive one, but if you're just there to have fun, does it really matter? Especially with a three stock match, only one stock each is really likely to be taken by a FS.

They also work really well in Stamina mode as they'll likely just shave some HP off them and let you get back to fighting while also negating instant KO's. Diddy's is still unfair though.

D

Deleted member

'Okay so what if instead of throwing fireballs, Mario threw ... lots of fireballs?'
The guy's been in so many games that I'm sure there's plenty of other final smashes he could have.
Agree

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Except most of them aren't even that strong. Granted, a few like Ridley's can instant KO, but it's also probably not KOing before 100% since it's a meteor smash (for some reason). Diddy's I think is the only really oppressive one, but if you're just there to have fun, does it really matter? Especially with a three stock match, only one stock each is really likely to be taken by a FS.

They also work really well in Stamina mode as they'll likely just shave some HP off them and let you get back to fighting while also negating instant KO's. Diddy's is still unfair though.
You still seem to miss the point. Rather you agree on how many are busted / OP or not, you do seem to agree that some ARE busted / OP. I'm sure you could also agree some are flawed / near useless. Having that kind of disparity on something makes it unfun to use and it also makes it objectively flawed in terms of implementation / design. If final smashes were more equal, it would be okay, but as it stands a good chunk of characters have one that can potentially kill at 0, a good number have really strong ones and a LOT of characters have crap ones. It's too inconsistent to ever be given the green light, imo. No matter HOW you play the game.

Be it a handful of characters with busted final smashes, or several.. there still exists characters with busted final smashes in comparison to other ones that are near worthless. It's not the same thing as fighting a high tier with a mid tier, as a Final Smash can literally change the tides of a match in mere seconds.

I wish the meter was built by you doing damage / taking stocks.. maybe ONLY getting a boost from doing poorly when you lose a stock.. even then that's iffy to me. I don't like aspects of games that literally boost the losing player up and give them an advantage, it sort of makes the entire principle of what you're doing null. If the meter didn't build just off of taking damage and was in YOUR hands to build, and FS's were more balanced.. I'd still never use them but I would be okay with their presence.

You can't just give KO Punch to several characters and act like that isn't total BS. Final smashes are exactly that, only instead of a KO Punch some characters get something useless instead.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Put me on team Sonic here but please never put me on Sonic Team

It's way too predictable and doesn't do that much damage, with it only really being able to cheese someone off the top of the stage who already has a high damage percentage.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
What the **** is a Sonic?

(If anyone gets this reference, well.. you're a top chap.)

Sonic's FS isn't great, but I do find myself hating it far less than I used to.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
You still seem to miss the point. Rather you agree on how many are busted / OP or not, you do seem to agree that some ARE busted / OP. I'm sure you could also agree some are flawed / near useless. Having that kind of disparity on something makes it unfun to use and it also makes it objectively flawed in terms of implementation / design. If final smashes were more equal, it would be okay, but as it stands a good chunk of characters have one that can potentially kill at 0, a good number have really strong ones and a LOT of characters have crap ones. It's too inconsistent to ever be given the green light, imo. No matter HOW you play the game.

Be it a handful of characters with busted final smashes, or several.. there still exists characters with busted final smashes in comparison to other ones that are near worthless. It's not the same thing as fighting a high tier with a mid tier, as a Final Smash can literally change the tides of a match in mere seconds.

I wish the meter was built by you doing damage / taking stocks.. maybe ONLY getting a boost from doing poorly when you lose a stock.. even then that's iffy to me. I don't like aspects of games that literally boost the losing player up and give them an advantage, it sort of makes the entire principle of what you're doing null. If the meter didn't build just off of taking damage and was in YOUR hands to build, and FS's were more balanced.. I'd still never use them but I would be okay with their presence.

You can't just give KO Punch to several characters and act like that isn't total BS. Final smashes are exactly that, only instead of a KO Punch some characters get something useless instead.
It does boost by dealing damage for one.

It's supposed to be broken too. It's not a balanced mechanic. You should know what you're getting into when you pick. It's supposed to be able to turn the tides of a match. That's the point. Some are lackluster, yes, and I'd say those are potentially worse than OP ones, but never should you expect them to be balanced.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You could say the idea of ZSS' FS is just Samus' FS from a different angle, and that makes it unimaginative, but that doesn't make it the worst.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
A lot of the final smashes that can be avoided are intended to be used in large chaotic fights, where optimally avoiding everything is generally impossible.

That said, no one has said Mii Swordfighter has the worst final smash, and that makes me sad. It's like a worse Mario/Wii Fit Trainer one.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
It does boost by dealing damage for one.

It's supposed to be broken too. It's not a balanced mechanic. You should know what you're getting into when you pick. It's supposed to be able to turn the tides of a match. That's the point. Some are lackluster, yes, and I'd say those are potentially worse than OP ones, but never should you expect them to be balanced.
You say that's how they're supposed to be in relation to busted ones, but what about the large number of useless ones? If all Final Smashes were busted, I wouldn't be saying this. If even a good number were viable, I wouldn't. The problem is, a GOOD number of terrible ones coexist with busted ones and fairly good ones in disproportionate numbers. You still seem to miss my point.

Even in the most casual games possible, I don't think many people would like the idea of working for the same thing (Final Smash) their opponent did, then having theirs disappoint everyone. Then their opponent runs in on their next stock, and hits them with a final smash that gets them killed at 0%. When one player can effectively have what is a win button, then another in the same match have one that's functionally useless.. that's a problem. What elevates this, is the fact that this isn't isolated to a few characters. Characters either have a totally 'meh' final smash, a totally busted final smash.. and a few between have somewhat viables ones. It's two extremes, with one side VASTLY outweighing the other one. There are way more useless final smashes than busted ones. THAT is the problem.

This isn't the same as character balance because picking a top tier and hitting one button won't sometimes completely invalidate a stock guaranteed at 0%, even if fighting the lowest of the low tiers with said character. The final smash imbalance issue, however, DOES cause stuff like this to occur.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
You say that's how they're supposed to be in relation to busted ones, but what about the large number of useless ones? If all Final Smashes were busted, I wouldn't be saying this. If even a good number were viable, I wouldn't. The problem is, a GOOD number of terrible ones coexist with busted ones and fairly good ones in disproportionate numbers. You still seem to miss my point.
You seem to miss mine. I say those are worse than "broken" ones as you put it. Still, it doesn't matter as it's just for fun. If you can't have fun with them, perhaps that's more on you as you seem to take them too seriously.

And most aren't worthless. Even Puff Up has it's uses and can be quite effective on small stages. People say PK Starstorm is easy to dodge, but it's easier said than done and in a free for all, it'll probably be more effective. Some are certainly better than others, but that's what you get when they aren't a significant concern for the balancing team.

D

Deleted member

A lot of the final smashes that can be avoided are intended to be used in large chaotic fights, where optimally avoiding everything is generally impossible.

That said, no one has said Mii Swordfighter has the worst final smash, and that makes me sad. It's like a worse Mario/Wii Fit Trainer one.
It is quite dull compared to them. At least WFT's has that giant logo at the end. It doesn't even stretch through the screen.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Mario and Sonic are both pretty bad for mostly the same reasons.

Also, Peach and Daisy's final smashes are among the best in the game. It's not only a free kill, but also a 60% heal.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Mario and Dr. Mario are some of the worst. Too easy to dodge and if you do dodge, the person still has to wait until the attack is over meaning you can have enough time to get comfy and punish.

Now Peach/Daisy, they're actually pretty good. Aside from the healing part of the final smash, and even getting a free hit in, if you activate it while your opponent is offstage, that's a free stock. That final smash has to be one of the best out of the roster.

Top Bottom