• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Won't we need a second stick?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm saying this because the two versions will be the exact same game from what I gather (besides stages, which is incredibly stupid) and using the 3DS version on the go could make for some seriously bad habits for when you get home to play on WiiU.

Also, I get it guy there's this ugly uncomfortable attachment they made, I'm asking for a second stick that isn't miles away.
Not long after the reveal of the Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo responded why it didn't have the Circle Pad Pro built in. If they did build it in, one of two things would happen: either it would make the 3DS even bigger than it already is, or it would reduce the system's battery life (and I don't want either). I don't really see the need of making a new model with CCP built in as there is only currently about 10 games that even use this accessory. Plus the accessory isn't asking much for power either: it runs on a single AAA battery and lasts up to 480 hours.

And I would rather spend $20 on an accessory to go with my 3DS than spending $170 or more just to replace my perfectly working 3DS system.

And finally, we don't need a second stick: some just want one (Smash 64 did just fine without it).

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Not long after the reveal of the Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo responded why it didn't have the Circle Pad Pro built in. If they did build it in, one of two thing would happen: either it would make the 3DS even bigger than it already is, or it would reduce the system's battery life (and I don't want either). I don't really see the need of making a new model with CCP built in as there is only currently about 10 games that even use this accessory. Plus the accessory isn't asking much for power either: it runs on a single AAA battery and lasts up to 480 hours.

And I would rather spend $20 on an accessory to go with my 3DS than spending $170 or more just to replace my perfectly working 3DS system.

And finally, we don't need a second stick: some just want one (Smash 64 did just fine without it).

Smash 64 was designed around one stick, if the 3DS version is basically going to be a "close as possible" version of the WiiU game a second stick will probably be part of the balance/design.

Y'know somehow, someway the Vita has 2 sticks and the battery life is overall the same or better than the 3DS or the XL. They will eventually make the dual stick model.

There is so much wrong with the attachment, it's so freaking far from the buttons and requires a really drastic thumb movement, it's better than no second stick but it's an awful solution.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Smash 64 was designed around one stick, if the 3DS version is basically going to be a "close as possible" version of the WiiU game a second stick will probably be part of the balance/design.

Y'know somehow, someway the Vita has 2 sticks and the battery life is overall the same or better than the 3DS or the XL. They will eventually make the dual stick model.

There is so much wrong with the attachment, it's so freaking far from the buttons and requires a really drastic thumb movement, it's better than no second stick but it's an awful solution.
There's a reason why I haven't bought a Circle Pad Pro. Not because of what you call "so much wrong" but because there isn't a single game I have or plan to get that needs the CPP. And even when Smash 3D comes out I'm still not certain that I'll consider buying a Circle Pad Pro (as I posted earlier I'm in deep love with the controls of a 3DS game that plagiarizes Super Smash Bros. in almost every way and plan to play Smash 3D the very same way).

And last time I checked, the Vita doesn't have a second screen or a 3D feature (plus Sony is charging much more than the 3DS), so comparing Vita & 3DS in this case is like comparing apples and oranges. Plus I have no clue why you put quotation marks on "close as possible" when comparing to the Wii U game as no one has said such thing. The two will play closely the same but each will have different features and content to make them have different experiences (examples include neither game will share the same battle stages and the 3DS game will have a more personal experience as well as a customization thing that Sakurai won't go any details into.) And like like I said, I don't see why Nintendo needs to make a new model when only 10 games use the CPP. And for those who already have a 3DS, some people can't afford buying a brand new $170 or more 3DS system but they sure as heck can buy a $20 add-on that they really won't need to use all the time.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
There's a reason why I haven't bought a Circle Pad Pro. Not because of what you call "so much wrong" but because there isn't a single game I have or plan to get that needs the CPP. And even when Smash 3D comes out I'm still not certain that I'll consider buying a Circle Pad Pro (as I posted earlier I'm in deep love with the controls of a 3DS game that plagiarizes Super Smash Bros. in almost every way and plan to play Smash 3D the very same way).

And last time I checked, the Vita doesn't have a second screen or a 3D feature (plus Sony is charging much more than the 3DS), so comparing Vita & 3DS in this case is like comparing apples and oranges. Plus I have no clue why you put quotation marks on "close as possible" when comparing to the Wii U game as no one has said such thing. The two will play closely the same but each will have different features and content to make them have different experiences (examples include neither game will share the same battle stages and the 3DS game will have a more personal experience as well as a customization thing that Sakurai won't go any details into.) And like like I said, I don't see why Nintendo needs to make a new model when only 10 games use the CPP. And for those who already have a 3DS, some people can't afford buying a brand new $170 or more 3DS system but they sure as heck can buy a $20 add-on that they really won't need to use all the time.

The issue with your statements is that they're very focused on you. Not everyone has a 3DS, not everyone fell in love with the 3DS design (tried to play Sonic Generations on it, beat the game but it was crampsville afterwards) and if you were to shop around and not take things at retail the price of a brand new Vita is comparable to a 3DS.

You are one of the most biased obvious Nintendo nuts who would gladly buy a sack of dirt if they printed Mario's face on it. Not a single good point was made by you.

Anyone without a bias have anything to say about this?

nosegrab

Smash Rookie
A lack of a c stick-esque input would also mess up Link's/ Young Link's/ Toon Link's AGT bomb recovery, which is huge to me.

Morbi

Scavenger
It doesn't really matter to me. I always just Smash with the directional input and the normal button. So I don't really care too much. :p

Depster

Smash Champion
Doesn't the CPP override the abxy buttons anyway, making it a useless add on for smash? I don't know because I don't own one, but I thought I read that when it came out.

Spin3no

Smash Rookie
if you input a smash attack it will act as an uncharged smash attack.. If you want to do a charge smash attack press the grab button. I am guessing the R button. There should be optional button layouts any way so it shouldn't be a problem. The D pad could act a C stick too... The touch screen ect..

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
It should be noted here that sakurai's last developed game (Kid Icarus: Uprising) didn't require but was supported by the circle pad pro. I wouldn't be surprised if Smash was lumped in the same boat.

•Col•

Smash Champion
How are people forgetting that Brawl had a Wiimote only control setup? It has even less buttons/triggers than the 3DS.

Sure it was pretty terrible, but it worked and anyone expecting the 3DS version of Smash 4 to have perfect controls is dreaming.

Morbi

Scavenger
How are people forgetting that Brawl had a Wiimote only control setup? It has even less buttons/triggers than the 3DS.

Sure it was pretty terrible, but it worked and anyone expecting the 3DS version of Smash 4 to have perfect controls is dreaming.
I think most people forgot... because they were using a Gamecube controller. :secretkpop:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Sakurai is a firm believer that Smash should be played the way it's always been played. Chances are he will allow the second stick to be used, if not to keep that vision, but because every controller seems to be a viable option and should be used if possible. Circlepad Pro, Gamepad, wiimote, nunchuck, classic controller, and WiiU Pro, those are my bets.

But I don't even want to think about gamepad or 3ds touch screen benefits...

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
It should be noted here that sakurai's last developed game (Kid Icarus: Uprising) didn't require but was supported by the circle pad pro. I wouldn't be surprised if Smash was lumped in the same boat.
It supported it in that you can use the dpad on the other side as the buttons it wasn't "real" support.

The Wii Remote option seemed to be there in case you only had 3 gamecube controllers and someone came over unexpectedly.

•Col•

Smash Champion
The Wii Remote option seemed to be there in case you only had 3 gamecube controllers and someone came over unexpectedly.
It's more likely the fact that Sakurai just seems like the type of guy who doesn't want to force additional accessories onto players to play the actual game.

Xigger

Smash Lord
use the D-pad for a c-stick, have taunts on the touch screen
No touch screen controls for either game.

It's more likely the fact that Sakurai just seems like the type of guy who doesn't want to force additional accessories onto players to play the actual game.
Sakurai is the kind of guy who says "Why not both?" rather than "I would rather have it this way."

nessokman

Smash Lord
No touch screen controls for either game.

Sakurai is the kind of guy who says "Why not both?" rather than "I would rather have it this way."
BULL**** Kid icarus controls would like a word with you and the circle pad pro's uselessness in it.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
use the D-pad for a c-stick, have taunts on the touch screen
I like the idea of taunts on the touch screen. The d-pad wouldn't work as a c-stick though because the whole point of the second stick is to still have full mobility with the control stick while being able to attack in any direction you please. unless.....
images.jpeg

I could will myself to grow one of these.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I like the idea of taunts on the touch screen. The d-pad wouldn't work as a c-stick though because the whole point of the second stick is to still have full mobility with the control stick while being able to attack in any direction you please. unless.....
View attachment 1404
I could will myself to grow one of these.
i already have one...I assumed everyone else did as well

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
I'm saying this because the two versions will be the exact same game from what I gather (besides stages, which is incredibly stupid) and using the 3DS version on the go could make for some seriously bad habits for when you get home to play on WiiU.
I'm not sure stages are the only difference between the two games. I heard Sakurai say some where the story modes would be different in some way (I'll try to find a link to back that up). The characters could also be different between the two versions. I know Sakurai said they'll have the same number of characters, but Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager haven't been shown on the 3ds version at all, either the 3ds development is going slower that the wiiu or the two games won't share the exact same roster.

Also, I get it guy there's this ugly uncomfortable attachment they made, I'm asking for a second stick that isn't miles away.
We don't absolutely need a second stick. I think it's kind of lazy that so many people feel it's a necessity. Don't get me wrong, I use the c-stick religiously when I play melee/brawl, It's just not a big deal to me that the 3ds won't have one. I started smash without a second stick and if that's the price I have to pay to play it on go then so be it. Besides, the wii u will have one and that's all I care about, I am getting both versions btw.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
The issue with your statements is that they're very focused on you. Not everyone has a 3DS, not everyone fell in love with the 3DS design (tried to play Sonic Generations on it, beat the game but it was crampsville afterwards) and if you were to shop around and not take things at retail the price of a brand new Vita is comparable to a 3DS.

You are one of the most biased obvious Nintendo nuts who would gladly buy a sack of dirt if they printed Mario's face on it. Not a single good point was made by you.

Anyone without a bias have anything to say about this?
If you dislike the 3ds' current design so much then why don't you just buy a ps vita since it's so cheap and perfect. "Brand new Vita is comparable to a 3DS" a 3ds xl maybe, even if you could find a vita at 200$ you could find a 3ds at around 120$ no matter how you look at it a 3ds is always cheaper. There's nothing wrong with 3ds' current design anyways. If a second stick is so vital then why is the 3ds outselling the vita?

Hyperbole much? Who's really the biased Nintendo nut here, the guy saying he doesn't need or want a brand new 3ds model to play his games or the guy willing to pay 200$ for a system he already has just for the sake of a second control stick which he'll likely only use on a handful of games (that's you bro)?! Nintendo isn't releasing a dual stick 3ds model especially with the 3ds' current sales (why would they fix what isn't broken?). Maybe Nintendo's next gen handheld will, but not this one.

Is this true? That's terrible.
Lastly, you haven't even tried the CPP add-on yet you're bashing it for being "ugly, uncomfortable, awful" etc. Sure it looks bad, but how are you gonna talk crap about it if you haven't even tried it out for yourself?! Very hypocritical my friend. And don't say that you've tried it before because if you have you'd have known it doesn't cancel out the abxy buttons instead of posting "Is this true?".

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
If you dislike the 3ds' current design so much then why don't you just buy a ps vita since it's so cheap and perfect. "Brand new Vita is comparable to a 3DS" a 3ds xl maybe, even if you could find a vita at 200$ you could find a 3ds at around 120$ no matter how you look at it a 3ds is always cheaper. There's nothing wrong with 3ds' current design anyways. If a second stick is so vital then why is the 3ds outselling the vita?
I tried both extensively and I did get a Vita, it was cheaper than a 3DS at launch but perfect is a stretch. The issue is it doesn't have Smash 4 if it did I wouldn't even be bothered by what the 3DS version had. There is so much wrong with the 3DS's design it is scary but I'm not gonna get into that (But this guy will) this was about the game using two analog sticks.

Hyperbole much? Who's really the biased Nintendo nut here, the guy saying he doesn't need or want a brand new 3ds model to play his games or the guy willing to pay 200$ for a system he already has just for the sake of a second control stick which he'll likely only use on a handful of games (that's you bro)?! Nintendo isn't releasing a dual stick 3ds model especially with the 3ds' current sales (why would they fix what isn't broken?). Maybe Nintendo's next gen handheld will, but not this one.
I gotta say, I never said I owned a 3DS. Through friends, family yeah I've spent enough time with it. I said it from launch, either I wait for Smash 4 or the dual analog 3DS whichever comes first. They'll fix it because it's Nintendo they always remake handhelds and I can't think of anything else they'd be able to add.

Lastly, you haven't even tried the CPP add-on yet you're bashing it for being "ugly, uncomfortable, awful" etc. Sure it looks bad, but how are you gonna talk crap about it if you haven't even tried it out for yourself?! Very hypocritical my friend. And don't say that you've tried it before because if you have you'd have known it doesn't cancel out the abxy buttons instead of posting "Is this true?".
I'm sorry it wasn't my first instinct after disliking the design to buy and try add-ons for it.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
I tried both extensively and I did get a Vita, it was cheaper than a 3DS at launch but perfect is a stretch. The issue is it doesn't have Smash 4 if it did I wouldn't even be bothered by what the 3DS version had. There is so much wrong with the 3DS's design it is scary but I'm not gonna get into that (But this guy will) this was about the game using two analog sticks.

I gotta say, I never said I owned a 3DS. Through friends, family yeah I've spent enough time with it. I said it from launch, either I wait for Smash 4 or the dual analog 3DS whichever comes first. They'll fix it because it's Nintendo they always remake handhelds and I can't think of anything else they'd be able to add.

I'm sorry it wasn't my first instinct after disliking the design to buy and try add-ons for it.

If a vita's more suited to your need that's fine, but wasn't a vita 250$ at launch? It's a shame you gotyour vita at launch, I should know, i got my 3ds at launch and regret it, not because of it's design, which a lot of people prefer over the vita, but because they released the xl a few months later for 50$ cheaper.

You can be hopeful all you want, but they aren't releasing a dual stick 3ds. Like Wario Bros said there's no reason for it, and Nintendo already exclaimed why neither the 3DS or 3DS XL have dual slide pads, plus they're doing great without em'. Oh, and btw they already released a remake of the 3ds it's called the 3DS XL. If you want to spend the next few years waiting for Nintendo to release another system go on ahead.

Of course if ssb4 is so important to you, and you're so spoiled you can't go without a second stick, then just suck up your pride and get a 3ds xl and CPP (still cheaper than a new vita). And before you pass judgement on the CPP tell me, are you so used to top bottom analog sticks that the mere task of moving your thumb from right to left scares you off? Because control wise that's really the only difference, and unless your hands are the size of a new born babies it shouldn't be that hard for you to manage.

Lastly, and I could not be more annoyed by this, DON'T TALK CRAP ABOUT GAMES, HARDWARE, ADD-ON'S ETC. IF YOU'VE NEVER EVEN TRIED THEM! Saying you dislike the design is one thing, but why would you go so far as to thoroughly bash it?!

P.S. No hard feelings, and if you do get a 3DS I'd bemore than happy to play a game of smash with you.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127

Fact is, I went for the Vita because I got it for 170 new at launch with 4 games. I'm that good at shopping.

I said I don't like the 3DS after trying it extensively (for a few days a few hours a day) and after deciding the base design is iffy at best I couldn't not imagine an oddly placed second stick could improve that.

Nintendo will eventually make the new iteration (they never stop at one, I got 3 different DSes).

It's not about spoiled, it's about being at a disadvantage and/or having the 3DS version not be worth practicing on. Being able to do a back air going forward (and other such shenanigans) is a huge part of Melee and Brawl. Not to mention I clearly stated many times I plan on getting the 3DS (whichever is out at the time) at the launch of Smash 4.

Like I said earlier, I tried a 3DS, I didn't love it, could not imagine the add on changing that for the better based on several factors.

Hard feelings? It's a discussion on hardware. Chill out.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
It's not about spoiled, it's about being at a disadvantage and/or having the 3DS version not be worth practicing on. Being able to do a back air going forward (and other such shenanigans) is a huge part of Melee and Brawl. Not to mention I clearly stated many times I plan on getting the 3DS (whichever is out at the time) at the launch of Smash 4.

Like I said earlier, I tried a 3DS, I didn't love it, could not imagine the add on changing that for the better based on several factors.

Hard feelings? It's a discussion on hardware. Chill out.
Think what you want, but that second stick has clearly spoiled you. Not having another stick wouldn't put you at a disadvantage unless you were truly spoiled. If anything practicing without a second stick will actually improve your overall skills not hinder them. Smash64 only had one stick and you didn't hear anyone ***** and moan about it then. It's helpful, sure, but not necessary PERIOD.

And like I said, If it's so important to you, suck up that false pride of yours and just get a CPP. Why you're hung up on trying a great and useful add-on is beyond me, it's idiotic really.

The only factor you've taken into consideration is looks, in other words, you judged the book by it's cover. Even worse, you down talked the contents of said book without so much as a peek inside. Whatever you imagine the CPP to be like it is not based in reality it's based strictly on you not liking what you see and nothing more. If you try it and hate it you can say whatever you want about it, fair? Until then stop making stuff up and acting like you hate it so much. This is common sense to most people.

I may be annoyed, but I'm plenty calm. Just making sure you're prepared to play me in a game or two, that's all.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Think what you want, but that second stick has clearly spoiled you. Not having another stick wouldn't put you at a disadvantage unless you were truly spoiled. If anything practicing without a second stick will actually improve your overall skills not hinder them. Smash64 only had one stick and you didn't hear anyone ***** and moan about it then. It's helpful, sure, but not necessary PERIOD.

And like I said, If it's so important to you, suck up that false pride of yours and just get a CPP. Why you're hung up on trying a great and useful add-on is beyond me, it's idiotic really.

The only factor you've taken into consideration is looks, in other words, you judged the book by it's cover. Even worse, you down talked the contents of said book without so much as a peek inside. Whatever you imagine the CPP to be like it is not based in reality it's based strictly on you not liking what you see and nothing more. If you try it and hate it you can say whatever you want about it, fair? Until then stop making stuff up and acting like you hate it so much. This is common sense to most people.

I may be annoyed, but I'm plenty calm. Just making sure you're prepared to play me in a game or two, that's all.

That's ridiculous. It's fine in Smash 64 because no one was able to make use of a second stick. I and many others think the 3DS version will be cool for practice on the go but not if it's single stick. It'll be fun but not ideal for practicing for when you get back home to play on the WiiU. I guess you could argue it's like playing basketball with ankle weights and then taking them off when a real game starts?

It's just making a bad design worse. I tell ya, I hope I'm wrong and it magically makes the thing easier to hold but I'm not holding my breath and until Smash comes out for the 3DS I'm not exactly rolling in dough to the point where I can blow some money to try the whole thing out. It's not pride, it's money. If money wasn't an issue I'd have it all just to have it.

I said the base 3DS is not easy to use and kinda hurts after a while and that adding more plastic to that doesn't seem like it would help. Do you even read what I post?

If we play some when it comes out I'm going for the WiiU version, wired connections, better controls, better graphics, it's just better.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
That's ridiculous. It's fine in Smash 64 because no one was able to make use of a second stick. I and many others think the 3DS version will be cool for practice on the go but not if it's single stick. It'll be fun but not ideal for practicing for when you get back home to play on the WiiU. I guess you could argue it's like playing basketball with ankle weights and then taking them off when a real game starts?

It's just making a bad design worse. I tell ya, I hope I'm wrong and it magically makes the thing easier to hold but I'm not holding my breath and until Smash comes out for the 3DS I'm not exactly rolling in dough to the point where I can blow some money to try the whole thing out. It's not pride, it's money. If money wasn't an issue I'd have it all just to have it.

I said the base 3DS is not easy to use and kinda hurts after a while and that adding more plastic to that doesn't seem like it would help. Do you even read what I post?

If we play some when it comes out I'm going for the WiiU version, wired connections, better controls, better graphics, it's just better.
Look you asked if we need a second stick and I gave you the answer, NO. You don't need it to play on the 3ds and if absolutely need it it's only 20$ and one AAA battery away. Also, playing it won't make you worse on the Wiiu version, in fact that's one of the dumbest conclusion I've heard in long while. If you're gonna complain about it not being worth practicing on and putting you at a disadvantage and making you worse on the wiiu, then just skip it. It's that simple.

The problem is that you don't know that. You're only saying that because you don't like the look not because you have any actual experience with it. If you don't like the 3ds' design fine, but stop talking bad about a genuinely useful product like you know anything about it. It's not like I'm asking you to go out and buy 3ds and CPP right now, just get one when you buy your 3ds next year, I'm sure you can get a great deal on one and you can finally see how well it works.

This whole ordeal of yours is stupid. You think you need a second stick in order to play the game, yet you're too prejudice to even consider getting a CPP. The answer is right in front of you and you're too blind to see it. And it doesn't matter what you think the CPP is like, until you try it stop judging it. If the 3DS hurts your hands after awhile it's probably because your hands are big right? You probably wish you had more room right? And using the buttons with the CPP does not require "drastic thumb movements" it's as easy as using the touch screen with your right thumb. Besides if you dislike the 3DS design so much why wouldn't try the one thing that might redeem it for you? Yes I do read what you post and i'm sure it makes sense to you, but you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Why? Afraid not having a second stick will put you at a disadvantage against me? If you're only getting the 3DS version to practice then why not play against me? The logic you come up with is baffling

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He wants a second stick to play the game competitively. Having a second stick allows for easier use of quick smash attacks, aerials, and just simpler commands. Smash is about simplicity, even at the competitive level; if you have simple commands, you can execute things a lot better. Without that and comfortable controls on the 3DS, Smash 3DS will be a hard game to get into 3DS.

Also, the 3DS should come in more sizes anyways; a lot of people have different hand sizes. My brother can barely function a 3DS XL because he's freaking 6'4 and has giant man fingers.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
He wants a second stick to play the game competitively. Having a second stick allows for easier use of quick smash attacks, aerials, and just simpler commands. Smash is about simplicity, even at the competitive level; if you have simple commands, you can execute things a lot better. Without that and comfortable controls on the 3DS, Smash 3DS will be a hard game to get into 3DS.

Also, the 3DS should come in more sizes anyways; a lot of people have different hand sizes. My brother can barely function a 3DS XL because he's freaking 6'4 and has giant man fingers.
I understand that, but he's complaining about not having a second stick yet refuses to try out the Circle Pad Pro. It's his own fault, and he's not going to play the 3DS competitively, he's only getting it to practice on the go. You can always practice with the second stick on the wiiu version there's really no reason to complain about not having one on the 3DS especiallysince he can get one any time he wants. After all, a second stick is a want not a need, it's not the end of the world if the 3DS doesn't have one. Now if was the wiiu then we'd have a problem....

I can sympathize with that, I'm 6'2" and have a similiar problem with mine. He never said they should come in more sizes though, he said they should be made with a second control pad built in, which would be equally uncomfortable for giant man hands like myself. A Circle Pad Pro does the same thing and gives you alot more room.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Yes, there is no doubt a second stick is optimal for competitive play and practically a necessity, but the Circle Pad Pro is the answer to that need. There is simply no way in my opinion Nintendo is going to release another 3DS model just to include the second stick, especially on two separate sizes and with the Circle Pad Pro available. Not to mention, it just isn't necessary in enough games to warrant a remodel of the 3DS system itself.

That's unfortunate, but Nintendo's probably is not going to make the 3DS any bigger. There have already been some qualms about how the 3DS XL is less portable than the regular 3DS, and an even larger size just won't be economically viable for Nintendo.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
In my opinion, if you are going to use a cpp, it would be best to get the regular 3ds, unless you have really big hands and can use a 3ds xl with the cpp. I am gonna get the latter because my freakishly big hands will fit them better. Nothings wrong with the cpp not being compatible anyways, cause it won't take much time to get used to it.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Look you asked if we need a second stick and I gave you the answer, NO. You don't need it to play on the 3ds and if absolutely need it it's only 20$ and one AAA battery away. Also, playing it won't make you worse on the Wiiu version, in fact that's one of the dumbest conclusion I've heard in long while. If you're gonna complain about it not being worth practicing on and putting you at a disadvantage and making you worse on the wiiu, then just skip it. It's that simple.
I admit, need is a poor choice of words. You don't need a second stick in any of the smash games for basic functionality but clearly you ignore the competitive aspect of the series, if I want to put every item on and play with 4 people in an FFA a second stick sin't gonna matter much but I don't think you understand the kind of Smash forum this is. If I practice basketball on a 3 foot high court in my backyard against my little brother and then later try to use that skill in a game against adults on regulation courts I'm gonna get rocked. I'd rather be able to practice on a regulation court against adults, even though I don't need these things to experience basketball. How are you not seeing the logic behind this?

The problem is that you don't know that. You're only saying that because you don't like the look not because you have any actual experience with it. If you don't like the 3ds' design fine, but stop talking bad about a genuinely useful product like you know anything about it. It's not like I'm asking you to go out and buy 3ds and CPP right now, just get one when you buy your 3ds next year, I'm sure you can get a great deal on one and you can finally see how well it works.
It's useful sure but I still don't see what you don't get about not being able to buy accessories for handhelds I don't own. I also don't understand how coming to a logical conclusion on a product is judging a book by its cover. If I don't like pizza (god forbid) am I gonna go out and get it with mushrooms because I didn't try that type yet? No, because that's stupid. When I do eventually buy this pizza because it's getting one irresistible sauce will I be trying the mushrooms? I didn't say either way but obviously yes.

This whole ordeal of yours is stupid. You think you need a second stick in order to play the game, yet you're too prejudice to even consider getting a CPP. The answer is right in front of you and you're too blind to see it. And it doesn't matter what you think the CPP is like, until you try it stop judging it. If the 3DS hurts your hands after awhile it's probably because your hands are big right? You probably wish you had more room right? And using the buttons with the CPP does not require "drastic thumb movements" it's as easy as using the touch screen with your right thumb. Besides if you dislike the 3DS design so much why wouldn't try the one thing that might redeem it for you? Yes I do read what you post and i'm sure it makes sense to you, but you don't actually know what you're talking about.
I never showed prejudice, I never said I wouldn't be getting one with a 3DS, refer back to my pizza analogy. Saying I don't know what I'm talking about is not a logical argument. It's an attack, cut it out. Thanks.

Why? Afraid not having a second stick will put you at a disadvantage against me? If you're only getting the 3DS version to practice then why not play against me? The logic you come up with is baffling
That's got more to do with the connection quality and internet stability of 2 consoles wired up via Ethernet vs 2 handhelds on WiFi connections. But hey if you're such a "man" you can just chop the second stick off of whatever controller you're on.

I understand that, but he's complaining about not having a second stick yet refuses to try out the Circle Pad Pro. It's his own fault, and he's not going to play the 3DS competitively, he's only getting it to practice on the go. You can always practice with the second stick on the wiiu version there's really no reason to complain about not having one on the 3DS especiallysince he can get one any time he wants. After all, a second stick is a want not a need, it's not the end of the world if the 3DS doesn't have one. Now if was the wiiu then we'd have a problem....
Gotta love how you ignore my point about practice needing to be the same as the real thing. Also love how you know my financial situation and how I can easily go out and buy this stuff today to try out. I'm not Scrooge Mcduck I need to make decisions on things before buying. By your logic a 3DS in and of itself is a want and not a need and you'd be correct but in the mindset that we want to play the game the 3DS is a need and I'm arguing that yes to make it viable for practice a second stick is necessary.

He never said they should come in more sizes though,
I said it had numerous design flaws, but I'm not derailing the topic with every little flaw.

Yes, there is no doubt a second stick is optimal for competitive play and practically a necessity, but the Circle Pad Pro is the answer to that need. There is simply no way in my opinion Nintendo is going to release another 3DS model just to include the second stick, especially on two separate sizes and with the Circle Pad Pro available. Not to mention, it just isn't necessary in enough games to warrant a remodel of the 3DS system itself.
Hoping for the new model was more optimism than anything else. I get that almost none of the games use it.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
ok well, instead of petty arguments about dumb stuff, we should get back to the topic at hand! if you aren't using a CPP or it's not supported, which part of your smash game are you most worried about not making the transition to a single stick? (other than the obvious aerials) For example, without a second stick I'm most worried about my ledge guarding game. :c

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
ok well, instead of petty arguments about dumb stuff, we should get back to the topic at hand! if you aren't using a CPP or it's not supported, which part of your smash game are you most worried about not making the transition to a single stick? (other than the obvious aerials) For example, without a second stick I'm most worried about my ledge guarding game. :c

I only just started putting effort into learning the more advanced techs associated with Smash a few months ago, before that I never used the C-stick. So, I wouldn't be too worried as of now, the only issue that could arise is if I decide to get more competitive.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127

It's less about the transition more about using it to practice. My Smash 64 play almost totally ruined me in Melee. I kept neglected that second stick and I was paying for it. I don't want to have to avoid playing it on 3DS because I know I will anyhow.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
I had a similar issue. I started playing melee at work on my computer with a keyboard (actually really great for timing, wd, wavelands, l-cancels, etc.) and yeah i totally stopped knowing how to proficiently use the second stick. I have similar concerns playing on the 3ds too much affecting my wii u play

Top Bottom