• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Wolf Social Discussion

ShadowSmasher

Smash Rookie
Welcome!

Way too early for me to even bother making a guess. The wording in the Direct was that he received "significant" upgrades (I think?), so even though some moves look to be the same or something similar, that may not even be the case for the rest of his moves (tilts, remaining smash attacks, remaining aerials, throws, yadda yadda). I'll reserve judgment until I can see everything else. Can't take away much from what we got to see in his introduction trailer.

+ The roster almost doubled since Brawl. So many new matchups :o
Lol I just saw when they said they would change him a lot. I hope they fix animations though. Also, thanks!

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah I noticed D Smash was nerfed too, its slower in this game. Probably deserved, because it was pretty ridiculous in Brawl. I wonder if back air will get nerfed too...
Rough comparison, but DK's Bair is similar to Wolf's. If the Kong gets to keep his, let us keep ours please :p

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm not too worried about what we've seen in video footage just yet. The game's still in development, and so they're still balancing things out. What little we've seen thus far is subject to change.

I do think that a lot of the changes that are benefiting slower, more heavy characters like Ganondorf are going to benefit Wolf in the long-run, too.

So, Lylat Cruise, Corneria, and Venom have all been confirmed. Some people are claiming Orbital Gate Assault is, too. If so, then we only need Sector Z back, and we'll have every Star Fox stage back. Anyone thing/hope we'll see an all-new Star Fox stage this time around, or do you think the Star Fox Zero remasters of the returning Corneria and Venom stages will be all?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
If anyone's interested, user Caravan of Noobs made some character signatures in this thread.

Wolf is already complete (he and Ganondorf were requested by me) and even if you don't plan on using them, they're still worth checking out. Might look good on the front page of this thread too.
I've added it to the front page. Along with it, I added back the 'Extras' tab, starting off with a Gallery section. More will be added to the 'Extras' tab later on.

If anyone has any suggestions for the front page, let me know. Just note not everything will be added.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
So glad my main is back. I was disappointed as hell when he wasn't dlc, and stopped coming here as a result. It's good to be back

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I miss Wolf's feral stance from Brawl but he's still short so its ok. Short is good, even if his canon height is gigantic.

I didn't realize Fox's canon height was that tall either.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I miss Wolf's feral stance from Brawl but he's still short so its ok. Short is good, even if his canon height is gigantic.

I like Wolf's new stance, personally. He's not snapping his knees anymore, ha.

And yeah, Smash isn't very accurate with their heights. Fox was 5'8" in Star Fox 64/Zero (Although I believe he was taller in Star Fox: Assault. Maybe 5'11"- 6'0"), Falco was 6'1" or 6'2", and Wolf was 6'2" in Star Fox: Assault.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Me too. I would prefer if he was even shorter. Anthro characters tend to look better when smaller (in my opinion, of course) and it comes with the benefit of smaller hurtboxes in Smash.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
They're short because they're based on the original puppet design Star Fox was going for.

hqqawcafimex.jpg

Assault is the only game that tried to make them look more accurate to their actual sizes and proportions.

T!t!

Smash Cadet
Hey folks. Nice to see Wolf finally back in Smash. I was happy he was in Brawl and pretty sad he didnt make it into Sm4sh. Really like him as a character from the series since Lylatwars. Also the gameplay changes we know about so far make me even more excited.

Btw I'm already curious to see Wolf's color palette for the other alts, especially considering he'll get at least 3 completely new colors. Funny enough I noticed that Wolf is featured in a few different video clips of other characters as the one getting hit by their moves. Hope we get to know more about the character while we move on getting closer to the releasedate of the game.

Anyways, the waiting time for the new Smash kinda kills me already slowly. Hard to imagine we still need to wait for around 5 months before getting our hands on the game.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Welcome to the pack, T!t! T!t!

As for his alts, I'm curious to see what all we'll get. All of his alts are going to be new, since his whole design is new, although I'm sure we'll see a few based off ones he had back in Brawl. I'd love to see an alt based off his Brawl default and black alt.

As for what we do know, he's got his default Purple jacket, and a pink alt. Possibly based off Pigma?

Sesilaso

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sesilaso
SARGASSO - WOLF SSBU DISCORD
A place to talk about Wolf and more SSBU related arguments

We have the following channels:
General chat
Other games
Trailer analysis
Memes
Gallery
Music
Metagame
And more

We are a growing community with a strong will to participate in the Wolf scene for when the game will be out
The server is still not an official Smashcord but its probably one of the biggest ones

Join us using this link: https://discord.gg/SJxpMRE

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I like Wolf's new stance, personally. He's not snapping his knees anymore, ha.

And yeah, Smash isn't very accurate with their heights. Fox was 5'8" in Star Fox 64/Zero (Although I believe he was taller in Star Fox: Assault. Maybe 5'11"- 6'0"), Falco was 6'1" or 6'2", and Wolf was 6'2" in Star Fox: Assault.
So does that mean Wolf is really tall if their heights were accurate? This pic sums it up!

T!t!

Smash Cadet

As for his alts, I'm curious to see what all we'll get. All of his alts are going to be new, since his whole design is new, although I'm sure we'll see a few based off ones he had back in Brawl. I'd love to see an alt based off his Brawl default and black alt.

As for what we do know, he's got his default Purple jacket, and a pink alt. Possibly based off Pigma?
I think you got a point there.

http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wolf/Gallery?file=Star_Wolf_3.png

If the pink were based off Pigma, then we could get a yellow/red one based off Andrew as well as a blue/white Panther inspired one. Not sure if we get one based off Leon since the color looks close to Wolf's default violet jackett, slightly darker. But then again, most Ganon alts look pretty similar in Sm4sh as well.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I should be posting a lot more, I know. Work and Jurassic World: Evolution have had me busy lol.
I wasn't crazy about the new design at first, but the more I see it, the more I like it. Once he's all polished up at release I'm sure he'll look just as amazing as Fox and Falco.
Sometimes I wonder if this is all actually happening. I don't have to worry about any of my favorite characters this time (what I was dreading about the hype season), Wolf is back, and Ridley finally made it in. Truly, the best timeline.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
So it just donned on me that Wolfs character art looks very familiar...
Really?! when you think wolf, you think this guy? The main reason I'm gonna make :ultwolf: my secondary main right after:ultganondorf: is actually his uncanny resemblance to this guy------------>

I mean just take a look at this for instance.

And most importantly in terms of personality and role in their respective series, there's really no better comparison, I mean Garou just straight up translates to HungryWolf for crying (howling)out loud!!!

With all that being said, I'd like to join your ranks, this seems like a nice pack to be a part of ;)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I think the biggest improvement to Wolf's vis design is two things:
1530684772240.png

First he no longer has that bizarre mascara or w/e under his eye, and second his legs are wayyy beefier now and actually look proportionate instead of relatively thick at the top of the thigh and then turning into noodle leg territory. LOOK AT HOW THIN THAT LEG IS ON THE RIGHT IS NEAR THE KNEEEEEWWEEQYHFSDH

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Nah, I think the biggest improvement to Wolf's design is just getting away from his Saiyan space armor and scouter design.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I miss the scouter, too. Always preferred his Assault design. Definitely my favorite out of Wolf's four existing designs.

Wonder how he would've looked if Sakurai designed him more closely to his actual Assault design, rather than a new design inspired by it? With the way how Wolf bends over and attacks, probably would've looked a bit off.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I like the Assault design as well as the Texan voice over British. Generally, though, I like Assault's portrayal of his character more.

Last edited:

ShadowSmasher

Smash Rookie
If DACUS was implemented into SSBU (please?), how do you guys think that would compliment Wolf’s new DA? Anyone even want dacus to be back?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Tbh with wolf back you could put the stupidest newcomers in this game. I’m just happy to have wolf back. I’ll beat em all with Wolf

I been wanted to post here but I couldn’t find the words...

I’m getting tears in my eyes

:ultwolf:

Last edited:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe

I’d like to see a dark brown one like how he looks in Star Fox Zero! I’m so happy Wolf is back!

Iridium

Smash Hero
I miss the scouter, too. Always preferred his Assault design. Definitely my favorite out of Wolf's four existing designs.

Wonder how he would've looked if Sakurai designed him more closely to his actual Assault design, rather than a new design inspired by it? With the way how Wolf bends over and attacks, probably would've looked a bit off.
Is it possible you can show me some images of :ultwolf:'s various designs? I feel bad that I don't know about this, for I never had the chance to play Star Fox ever.

T!t!

Smash Cadet
I've got one question: why is the Gameplay thread closed? I just noticed nobody in that thread talked about one thing we barely saw in footage because Daddy Sakurai was hiding it pretty well. May not be too big of a deal, but still we saw Wolf using his f-throw against Ice Climbers in the blink of a second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCeEylbl3Oc&t=280s
I had to rewatch a couple of times even in slowmotion but I'm pretty sure I saw F-throw right there. Also I may be mistaken but I think nobody has mentioned it in this thread either. Looks to me like a typical f-throw that only has as it's purpose to keep somebody offstage. Don't think it will be a combo throw. Still I like the animation in itself. Looks brutal and that's kind of what I relate to Wolf the most.

Besides this, I also wanted to link a great video focusing on Wolf gameplay analysis (although also missing out on Wolf f-throw, but other than that it gives u a great idea about Wolf in Smash Ultimate and even making comparisons to Wolf in Brawl by visualizing the differences for dash attack, nair and his overall dash)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElZwTSwlBO0
Just to be clear: I'm not the owner of the video but I wanted to shared it with u folks to make sure everyone interested can watch it. Enjoy!

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Is it possible you can show me some images of :ultwolf:'s various designs? I feel bad that I don't know about this, for I never had the chance to play Star Fox ever.
Normally I'd refer you to Google, but I've thought of making a collage of Wolf over the years for a bit now. Order's kinda messy, but I may go back and make it more organized later.

Left Column: Wolf's comms profile from Star Fox 2, Star Fox 64, Star Fox 64 3D, and Star Fox Zero (Top to bottom).
Sketch: Wolf's concept art from Star Fox 2.
Bottom Left: Wolf's cameo in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Center: Wolf's render from Star Fox: Assault.
Smooth: Wolf's render from Star Fox Command.
Top Right: Wolf's in-game character model from Star Fox Zero.
Bottom Right: Wolf's renders from Super Smash Bros. Brawl (left) and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (right).

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I'm certainly going to be maining Wolf in Ultimate alongside my Sm4sh main, Lucario. I'm interested to see how he plays.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Has there ever been full art of Wolf in Zero? Besides just his head? What did he wear in Zero?

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I hope they don't change too many of his moves. Particularly f-smash, up smash, f-tilt and recovery

Top Bottom