• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Wolf Social Discussion

Rizen

Smash Legend
Gheb was a Brawl Wolf from Austria that was very active on the forums back then, that's all. Doesn't seem like he's interested in re-joining the scene these days though, a lot can change in four years. A few other Wolf mains might return, but we'll see once the game's actually out.
Not Germany? IDK why but I thought he was from Germany. *shrug*

Anyone playing the Dark Souls 1 remake?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Y'know, I kind of forgot about being concerned over Wolf's crouch since I never thought someting like that would be changed. Did I miss something, has it been reworked in any form?

On that note about Crawling; I never really understood why he couldn't crawl and someone like Wario could. What the hell Sakurai?

Lmao. But more importantly, somthing I've always wondered in general.... Why is Wolf so sluggish compared to the other two space animals?

In Assault he was all about raw Speed, Power and aggression with a weakness in his vertical mobility. Never fully understood why he got the Ganon end of the stick.

On another note. For the whole derailed dbz topic at debate, I just want you all to know I didn't fully read a single post and you all simply wasted your time writing it. Personally I love DB all around and while it gets super cheesy it's also deep as **** and relateable. Shouts to anyone watching super. I am currently catching up on the series. I think Wolf's stance is more fitting of someone like Vegeta or whatever but paying any homeage to the series is a fun addition to an already cool enough character.

Go Yamcha.

Yea, it is now just a regular crouch, one knee on the floor. It makes sense to make wolf slow since you want to diferentiate him from the others and both space snimals were pretty mobile in Melee. That said, Falco is now pretty sluggish so they might make Wolf faster, idk.

As for the poses, Yamcha does that pose specifically before doing his Wolf Fang Fist, so either there's something specific about that pose that represents wolves or they purposelly referenced Yamcha because he has a wolf related attack.

I assume it's the former, I don't think it's a DB reference, I think that pose is probably closely linked with wolves.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Y'know, I kind of forgot about being concerned over Wolf's crouch since I never thought someting like that would be changed. Did I miss something, has it been reworked in any form?
In Wolf's video, after he throws the Star Rod, you can see Wolf crouch as Duck Hunt brings the Star Rod back, and its not the same crouch animation from Brawl.

I really hate how the things that either make Wolf different from Fox and Falco, or the things that make Wolf feral, are being taken away. His Nair is now just another flying kick just like Fox's, just like Falco's, and Wolf's prowling crouch is just another ducking animation same as over half the rosters now.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In Wolf's video, after he throws the Star Rod, you can see Wolf crouch as Duck Hunt brings the Star Rod back, and its not the same crouch animation from Brawl.

I really hate how the things that either make Wolf different from Fox and Falco, or the things that make Wolf feral, are being taken away. His Nair is now just another flying kick just like Fox's, just like Falco's, and Wolf's prowling crouch is just another ducking animation same as over half the rosters now.
Falco's nair is spinning arms, not a kick.

Also Wolf's old nair was quite bad. Flying sex kick nairs may be boring but they work. Actually, I think they're trying to emphasize his relatively heavier-hitting nature by making most of his moves single hits. Smashes are still up in the air, though.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Have you seen his new animations? They definitely made him much more savage. Old N-Air wasn't feral looking at all imo. I will miss his crouch though.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Falco's nair is spinning arms, not a kick.

Also Wolf's old nair was quite bad. Flying sex kick nairs may be boring but they work. Actually, I think they're trying to emphasize his relatively heavier-hitting nature by making most of his moves single hits. Smashes are still up in the air, though.
For the most part it was bad, but I found it useful for linking into jab and grabs!

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
For the most part it was bad, but I found it useful for linking into jab and grabs!
His old Nair was wonky as hell. If you struck with the initial hitbox it would only hit one time, but had some knockback. After the initial hitbox it was a multi-hitting move, but it would either make the target flinch just a bit or not at all. I can't tell if that was intentional or an oversight. Either way, it's a useless attack.

I think :falco: had the right idea for a Nair, though. I'm a bit surprised that :wolf: didn't do something like that from the start.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So how do you guys picture Wolf's Final Smash? I think we are going to get the Wolfen, but how will it be arranged and with what type of attacks?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So how do you guys picture Wolf's Final Smash? I think we are going to get the Wolfen, but how will it be arranged and with what type of attacks?
Judging by the opening to his character video, I'd say it's a Star Wolf strafe run.

One thing to note is that Fox's Final Smash has three crosshair marks horizontal to him, while Falco's has the crosshair marks vertically beside him. To differentiate, Wolf's would either be diagonal, like that of Wolf Flash, or focused on one area.

The Wolfens' approach doesn't seem to be as fast as Fox's or Falco's, so it could be more dramatic. Maybe each member of Star Wolf gets a few shots in before Wolf finishes them off, rather than the entire team focusing fire.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
It bothers me how different the fidelity of Wolf's in game model is to the render. I really hope it's because Wolf was one of the last being worked on of the veterans and he was rushed for the reveal and hasn't been polished, model is still undone and textures are still not final. Otherwise I think Wolf looks a little too "plasticky" for my taste.

Last edited:

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
I'm still confused over the whole crouch thing - have we seen him crouch yet?

Edit: sorry, just noticed the video. ignore this

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
From what we've seen so far, what do y'all think will be Wolf's best/worst matchups? Although it may be early to tell since we haven't seen a whole lot from our boy.

No need to mention Bayonetta

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
From what we've seen so far, what do y'all think will be Wolf's best/worst matchups? Although it may be early to tell since we haven't seen a whole lot from our boy.

Wolf, at least going by what we knew him for in Brawl, is such an all-rounder that it's hard to pinpoint really bad or good matchups for him, short of characters that are just really good/bad on their own merits.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Judging by Brawl, looks like Wolf could still have trouble with Pikachu, King Dedede, and Wario. Depends on how much Wolf ends up changing.

As for new characters, I just hope he's able to beat Bayonetta, but I doubt it. That harlot's so unfathomable broken that she's likely to remain top tier despite any nerfs they throw at her. Other new characters like Cloud, Ryu, etc. we'll just have to wait and see.

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
Not to mention pikachu has received huge buffs so that matchup doesn’t sound good.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention pikachu has received huge buffs so that matchup doesn’t sound good.
At least Wolf was one of the rare characters that had a somewhat manageable matchup against MK in Brawl but nobody ever watched competitive Brawl so that's unfortunate...

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Anyone wonder if Wolf will keep his Brawl voice clips or become British?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Anyone wonder if Wolf will keep his Brawl voice clips or become British?
He'll likely take after his voice from Star Fox Zero. Interestingly enough, it's not really a thick British accent as it was in Star Fox 64. It's almost like a cross between 64 Wolf and Brawl Wolf.

This was the best video I could find with clear voice clips from him.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wasn't the Brawl Pika matchup bad mostly due to chaingrabs than anything else? Fox had it even worse but does fine against Pika nowadays, so I don't see what the big worry is for Wolf.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
He'll likely take after his voice from Star Fox Zero. Interestingly enough, it's not really a thick British accent as it was in Star Fox 64. It's almost like a cross between 64 Wolf and Brawl Wolf.

This was the best video I could find with clear voice clips from him.
That’s actually really cool of a voice for Wolf to have (puts SSB4 Fox to shame)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Judging by Brawl, looks like Wolf could still have trouble with Pikachu, King Dedede, and Wario. Depends on how much Wolf ends up changing.

As for new characters, I just hope he's able to beat Bayonetta, but I doubt it. That harlot's so unfathomable broken that she's likely to remain top tier despite any nerfs they throw at her. Other new characters like Cloud, Ryu, etc. we'll just have to wait and see.
The reason those were bad is Wolf got chain grabbed. We don't have any matches to go by but the removal of CGs alone is a huge indirect buff.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Aside from the animation, Wolf's Final Smash will almost definitely be differentiated from Fox and Falco's by the knockback angle. Fox's sends diagonally upwards, Falco's almost straight upwards (which is kinda "explained" with him flying upwards from the explosion during the end of his FS cinematic). I'm hoping Wolf's FS animation finishes with him doing the Lightning Tornado through the opponent, sending them flying completely horizontally.

While they haven't actually emphasized his feralness like I hoped with the new attacks we've seen (N-air and Dash attack), I still like them better than the previous ones. Blaster animation is also much cooler, and much is yet to be seen too. At least U-smash and U-tilt animations can only get better.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Hey fellow Wolf fans! It's such a great feeling to see Wolf back in action. I was super excited when he was announced to return in Ultimate after his absence in Smash 4. I look forward to playing as Wolf again.

T!t!

Smash Cadet
Anyone excited for the Smash direct to maybe see some of Wolf's moves we haven't seen yet? Curious if we get to see the other aerials and smashes. Since there was a discussion about Wolf's down b, I feel like the direct would be a good occasion to explain a new down b if he got rid of his reflector. Showing some alternate colors wouldn't be that bad either although I guess that's pretty unlikely. Somehow I'm not that hyped for any possible shown newcomers because I don't think anything could get me more excited than Wolf being in Smash Ultimate with some neat changes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone excited for the Smash direct to maybe see some of Wolf's moves we haven't seen yet? Curious if we get to see the other aerials and smashes. Since there was a discussion about Wolf's down b, I feel like the direct would be a good occasion to explain a new down b if he got rid of his reflector. Showing some alternate colors wouldn't be that bad either although I guess that's pretty unlikely. Somehow I'm not that hyped for any possible shown newcomers because I don't think anything could get me more excited than Wolf being in Smash Ultimate with some neat changes.
I very much doubt Wolf, or anyone else will receive totally different special moves, at most they're significantly altered like Zelda's Phantom.

T!t!

Smash Cadet
Was just pointing towards something that got discussed: Wolf has no visual hint at a reflector in his arsenal. If that means he has a new down B, a Smash direct would probably be the place to highlight such a change. But I agree with you and I also wrote that I think it's pretty unlikely.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Was just pointing towards something that got discussed: Wolf has no visual hint at a reflector in his arsenal. If that means he has a new down B, a Smash direct would probably be the place to highlight such a change. But I agree with you and I also wrote that I think it's pretty unlikely.
Fox & Falco didn't have anything ressembling a reflector on their person until Brawl. I doubt it not being there would mean much. For Wolf, it was the thing on his back, right?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I don't think we'd see anything new with Wolf shown off in particular. Rather, we may see snippets of him while new modes, stages, etc. are shown off. Then, we'd be lucky to see any of his unconfirmed moves.

As for his reflector, its possible we could see it replaced, seeing as it's no longer on his back, but I doubt it. Not too sure what they'd replace it with, if they decided to. We'll just have to wait and see.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I hope shine still has I frames. Disrespecting attacks with a 3%ish damage punish was the best.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I hope shine still has I frames. Disrespecting attacks with a 3%ish damage punish was the best.
Could be more useful than you think, using it properly could help Wolf keep his dodges fresh, like Pokemon Trainer's revamped switching.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Anyone else miss the dash limp? I thought it added character and was fitting for him, could easily imagine it being an old injury from an intergalactic barfight.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Just saw some footage of Wolf’s back air in the Smash Ultimate direct. It was on the Pirate Ship stage, where they were displaying Pokémon. If someone could do a frame-by-frame analysis, that’d be fantastic.

T!t!

Smash Cadet
Just saw some footage of Wolf’s back air in the Smash Ultimate direct. It was on the Pirate Ship stage, where they were displaying Pokémon. If someone could do a frame-by-frame analysis, that’d be fantastic.
Looked pretty quick too me. Unlucky we couldn't get a grasp of the actual hitbox of it since it did miss. Still I was happy to see kinda old Wolf bair return. Maybe not that big of a surprise but still nice to have confirmation it'll more or less look the same.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

From the Wolf Discord. You may have mistaken his Neutral Air for his Back Air. A few of us did, too.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I thought I saw what looked like Bair or a Bair during the stage morph section showing Umbra Clock Tower morphing into the Paper Mario stage from Smash 3DS at 12:56 of the archive video: https://youtu.be/P-kQWJrjRV4?t=776.

It's hard to see since the scene cuts from the previous section with Smashville morphing into Luigi's Mansion to the next section where Wolf is in the middle of doing a Bair off-stage and inside the stage's platform. It's probably Bair since his back is facing the screen and he's kicking with his right leg towards the left while with Nair, his body is facing the screen and he's kicking with his left leg towards the left. Use the frame by frame viewer to check this.

Another hard to see thing since morphing is fast forwarded in the video is that Wolf still has Fire Wolf or whatever it's going to be called in this game. Right after Wolf does Bair and disappears below the platform of Umbra Clock Tower, he does Fire Wolf to get back up and enters into freefall before landing on the Paper Mario stage and getting hit by Palutena. Wolf then does a backwards footstool off Cloud, jab combo when he lands, an empty forward jump, lands, and then turns around before the scene ends. Everything up to jab combo happens during the fast forward, so you'll need to go frame by frame or slow the footage down to make it easier to see.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to say something I should have said back when the game was announced. Glad to see that Wolf made it back and looking as awesome as ever. It was great to see how many villains have made it into the game in such a short amount of time.

Being either a pirate or mercenary, it is great to be a part of this fanbase of our beloved lupine anti-hero. Can't wait to main him along with Ridley and K. Rool once more.

Also, glad to be apart of these forums after so long.

:bowser:.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I thought I saw what looked like Bair or a Bair during the stage morph section showing Umbra Clock Tower morphing into the Paper Mario stage from Smash 3DS at 12:56 of the archive video: https://youtu.be/P-kQWJrjRV4?t=776.

It's hard to see since the scene cuts from the previous section with Smashville morphing into Luigi's Mansion to the next section where Wolf is in the middle of doing a Bair off-stage and inside the stage's platform. It's probably Bair since his back is facing the screen and he's kicking with his right leg towards the left while with Nair, his body is facing the screen and he's kicking with his left leg towards the left. Use the frame by frame viewer to check this.

Another hard to see thing since morphing is fast forwarded in the video is that Wolf still has Fire Wolf or whatever it's going to be called in this game. Right after Wolf does Bair and disappears below the platform of Umbra Clock Tower, he does Fire Wolf to get back up and enters into freefall before landing on the Paper Mario stage and getting hit by Palutena. Wolf then does a backwards footstool off Cloud, jab combo when he lands, an empty forward jump, lands, and then turns around before the scene ends. Everything up to jab combo happens during the fast forward, so you'll need to go frame by frame or slow the footage down to make it easier to see.
Interesting, this also confirms that Stage Morphing can actually save your life, as floors become sharkable while the switching animation is going on, meaning that you can go through them with an Up-B. I don't know what that means for it's legality but it's something that people should know (I certainly didn't)

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It's unfortunate that this brief, sped up footage is all we got of Wolf during the direct, but at least it basically confirmed 2 more of his moves. Still waiting to see the rest, as many of my favorites are still MIA.

Top Bottom