• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Wolf Social Discussion

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I find this picture funny and cute it has all my mains except for Chrom and someone posted a caption that read "When you are undercover at a furry convention".
For me I would say he is just channeling his inner furry.
1534189758786.png

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I find this picture funny and cute it has all my mains except for Chrom and someone posted a caption that read "When you are undercover at a furry convention".
For me I would say he is just channeling his inner furry.
View attachment 157538
I keep thinking this is supposed to be some kind of Awakening reference from one of Chrom's supports or something, since that's usually what these types of pictures have been in the past (i.e. Cloud being half-conscious with Dr Mario and Nurse Peach being a reference to his Mako poisoning in FF7) but I'm not recognizing it. There must have be some significance with Chrom and fuzzy-eared animals that Sakurai is hinting at I'm sure, I just don't know what it is.

I think Wolf's sleeping animation is on point for a Wolf though.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, I checked Wolf's animations in Brawl a while ago, and I must say, they are a little bit weird to look at, especially his n-air.

Also, perfect timing with my changed avatar!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So, I checked Wolf's animations in Brawl a while ago, and I must say, they are a little bit weird to look at, especially his n-air.

Also, perfect timing with my changed avatar!
Honestly most animations in Brawl were awkward. Look at PT's pokemon animations and then look at Zard in 4 and Ultimate, it's like night and day.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Was watching the new gameplay video of King K. Rool and noticed that he has a unique victory theme. Like how Meta Knight's is different from Kirby's, or how Bowser's is different from Mario's. A good sign that Wolf may have a snippet from the Star Wolf theme as his victory theme. It'd be so easy, too. All you got to do is play the first three or so seconds from the theme's opening.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Was watching the new gameplay video of King K. Rool and noticed that he has a unique victory theme. Like how Meta Knight's is different from Kirby's, or how Bowser's is different from Mario's. A good sign that Wolf may have a snippet from the Star Wolf theme as his victory theme. It'd be so easy, too. All you got to do is play the first three or so seconds from the theme's opening.
I imagine it'd be the first 12 notes, followed by a louder DU-DU-DUN.

D

Deleted member

So I found an interesting bit from one of Alax's latest videos and I would like some of you to enlighten me:

Is there a complete list of moves Wolf borrows from other fighters back to Brawl to justify his status as a rushed character back in Brawl?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So I found an interesting bit from one of Alax's latest videos and I would like some of you to enlighten me:

Is there a complete list of moves Wolf borrows from other fighters back to Brawl to justify his status as a rushed character back in Brawl?
I don't know if I can find a list, but I can make one of my own.

Dash Attack - Taken from Sonic's 'Collision Animation' (Running into a wall while dashing)
Neutral Air - Same as Sonic
Back Air - Same as Fox and Falco
Down Air - Taken from Diddy Kong
Pummel - Same as Fox and Falco
Up Smash - Taken from Sonic's Up Air
Down Smash - Taken from Link
Up Special - Same as Fox and Falco (Though tweaked a bit, not a 1-to-1 copy)
Down Special - Same as Fox
Final Smash - Same as Fox and Falco

Every other move that Wolf has is unique, although there are two other moves that can be debated. Both Wolf's Neutral Special and Side Special share the same idea as Fox's and Falco's, being a shot from a blaster and a quick dash to the side, but are visually and functionally different. Wolf's blaster cannot be rapidly fired, and involves an attack in its animation. Wolf's dash is diagonal with a hitbox at the end, whereas Fox's and Falco's use 'afterimages' for the hitbox.

Lastly, there's other things about him that support him being rushed. He was stated to have almost been cut, along with Jiggypuff and Toon Link back in Brawl. Him being the last character revealed, and last character unlocked, supports that he was the final character added in Brawl. Some of Wolf's miscellaneous animations also barrow from Fox, such as his sleeping animation. There's an error in Wolf's tumbling animation where his left arm will detach from the elbow. Etc.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I don't know if I can find a list, but I can make one of my own.

Dash Attack - Taken from Sonic's 'Collision Animation' (Running into a wall while dashing)
Neutral Air - Same as Sonic
Back Air - Same as Fox and Falco
Down Air - Taken from Diddy Kong
Pummel - Same as Fox and Falco
Up Smash - Taken from Sonic's Up Air
Down Smash - Taken from Link
Up Special - Same as Fox and Falco (Though tweaked a bit, not a 1-to-1 copy)
Down Special - Same as Fox
Final Smash - Same as Fox and Falco

Every other move that Wolf has is unique, although there are two other moves that can be debated. Both Wolf's Neutral Special and Side Special share the same idea as Fox's and Falco's, being a shot from a blaster and a quick dash to the side, but are visually and functionally different. Wolf's blaster cannot be rapidly fired, and involves an attack in its animation. Wolf's dash is diagonal with a hitbox at the end, whereas Fox's and Falco's use 'afterimages' for the hitbox.

Lastly, there's other things about him that support him being rushed. He was stated to have almost been cut, along with Jiggypuff and Toon Link back in Brawl. Him being the last character revealed, and last character unlocked, supports that he was the final character added in Brawl. Some of Wolf's miscellaneous animations also barrow from Fox, such as his sleeping animation. There's an error in Wolf's tumbling animation where his left arm will detach from the elbow. Etc.
I’m pretty sure Wolf’s back animation is all his own. Fox’s back air is how it looks in smash 4 and Falco’s was his melee back air. Falco has a back air similar so Wolf’s in smash 4

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I’m pretty sure Wolf’s back animation is all his own. Fox’s back air is how it looks in smash 4 and Falco’s was his melee back air. Falco has a back air similar so Wolf’s in smash 4
Just went back to review it, and you're somewhat right. They're still functionally very similar, though Fox's other leg sticks out a bit, whereas Wolf's is tucked in. It's minor, but a slight difference nonetheless. Good eye.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Just noticed he got to appear on a menu - he's in the front of the FS Smash meter tab.

Well done boi, you came back from so far deep.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I just want to say, I was very relieved to see that Wolf had made his return to Smash when we got that Smash Ultimate direct back in June. He was the one character I was really hoping would make a return since I was disappointed he didn't make it into Smash 4, but it looks like they're really fleshing him out much more in this new Smash entry, which is great. Can't wait to see more of his fighting moves and what other color palettes he'll have as a fighter.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I haven't posted in this thread at all which is shocking because :wolf: was my main in Brawl. He was my most requested vet to return in Ultimate (before we found out EVERYONE IS HERE!) that was cut in 4 but I'm so glad :ultwolf: is back alongside my most wanted in Smash since Melee (:ultkrool:) and :ultridley: who I have been dying to see as well. I will be swapping through these characters the most and besides Dixie Kong there is no one else I truly crave for Smash. So yeah I love that Wolf is back and looking better than ever. Just wish we had more gameplay footage of him....

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
Wolf from what little I've seen of him has a lot more moves and movements in common with fox. I hope it's a good thing for him. (Used him somewhat in brawl)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Have you guys talked about the blog update today?

Wolf was featured and had his script talk about how it’s been 10 years since he first appeared in Brawl. It also mentions how he “put his good claws to work”.

We also get info on his FS! It reads “His Final Smash is an all out attack by Team Star Wolf! If Fox or Falco is in the battle, you may hear a unique line of dialogue.”

So we can assume it’s going to be somewhat similar to Fox and Falco’s Final Smash and that he even has unique dialogue against the two. I’m curious to what he has to say and also if Fox and Falco do something for his Final Smash.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
That is pretty cool, I'm all for anything unique they give to the characters, especially all-new lines for situations like that. I also liked that about Brawl when the Star Fox characters would sometimes interact with each other with lines like, "Better luck next time, Falco!" It's those little touches that give them more personality and make the game more interesting.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Glad to hear that he still has unique match dialogue, and happy that he's finally getting a clip for Falco, too. In Brawl, he only had dialogue towards Fox, but not to Falco. Any ideas for what he may say?

Also, I'm very curious as to whats going to happen with the Star Fox dialogue. Specifically the comms. All the Star Fox content in Ultimate is based around Star Fox Zero, even Krystal by technicality since that's what she'd likely be wearing during the events of Star Fox Zero. Most notably would have to be the stages.

Corneria, for example, always had the classic Star Fox 64 comms from Melee to 3DS. Of course, it also retained its 64 design, too. Now, it's redesigned to fit Star Fox Zero, so I'm curious if they'll keep the classic Star Fox 64 comms or record new ones with all the new voice actors. Makes sense, as Wolf likely has a new voice actor, and would fit their desire for consistency within the series' representation.

Part of me is hopeful. Sakurai's pulling all the stops, everyone it back, etc. Snake's Codec, Palutena's Guidance, and Star Fox's Comms may all return with completely new lines, though I can see some of the Palutena's Guidance lines recycled since they're newer. Other part of me is more pessimistic, since there is already so much going on, that something cool, yet minor, would likely be passed up. Either entirely, or Sakurai would just give Star Fox the short end of the stick yet again.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Has anyone noticed that the bomb item from Star Fox isn't listed in the items section on the Smash Bros website? Did they remove it unless I missed something? That was one of my favorite items plus it being the only item from Star Fox.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
They've probably got a long list of items that appear in-game, considering even the number of stages is over 100 I'm sure they've got a heckton of different items to accompany them. Likely it just wasn't listed but it may yet appear in the game again since it is a pretty memorable item.

On another note, I am hoping the Star Fox crew get some kind of dialog again on the victory screen; although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I'd like to see what new lines they might have if they did bring it back.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Has anyone noticed that the bomb item from Star Fox isn't listed in the items section on the Smash Bros website? Did they remove it unless I missed something? That was one of my favorite items plus it being the only item from Star Fox.
If you look at the "More Items" section of the Items page, it says "and more..." at the end. I'm fairly certain the Smart Bomb is still in the game.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Don't worry, Star Fox's one item is returning. It's just unlisted on the website.

Wonder if there are any more new items we haven't seen yet? Would love to see a new item from Star Fox, but if I'm to be honest, I'm not so sure on what it could be. The Barrier from Star Fox: Assault? Krystal's staff since she's deconfirmed? Maybe a new item like a Target Locator, where you can lock onto an enemy or area, and an Arwing or the Great Fox itself can rein down some firepower on the target?

Any ideas for new Star Fox items?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Kind of hard to imagine anything else other than what's already there to represent the game; Star Fox has a lot of large-scale things like the Landmaster and Arwing, and concerning actual weapons like in Assault there are already a number of gun-type weapons on display.

For some general ideas though, maybe they could have something like a floating ring that floats in the air the moment you release it from an item box/crate/capsule, and you have to jump through it quickly enough before another player jumps through it and steals the health it would give the player.

While not really an item, maybe they could have the "S" box as seen in Star Fox 64 as another item holder that could appear on stage.

Rizen

Smash Legend
SF Adventures Dinosaur Planet has several potential items like the healing eggs/nuts or bomb spore plants. Fuel cells could work like electric traps. That game got a lot of c*** for not being a traditional SF game but it was good in its own right. Very nice graphics for a gamecube game. The only big flaw was if you saved after collecting the last krazoa spirit, you'd be unable to go anywhere but the final boss area.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Don't worry, Star Fox's one item is returning. It's just unlisted on the website.

Wonder if there are any more new items we haven't seen yet? Would love to see a new item from Star Fox, but if I'm to be honest, I'm not so sure on what it could be. The Barrier from Star Fox: Assault? Krystal's staff since she's deconfirmed? Maybe a new item like a Target Locator, where you can lock onto an enemy or area, and an Arwing or the Great Fox itself can rein down some firepower on the target?

Any ideas for new Star Fox items?
Oh good now I don't have to worry as much but at least we are still getting Star Fox representation with the item and assist trophy.
I can't think of any other item besides the S box mentioned earlier appearing in the Star Fox stages maybe the gold silver or star rings as a healing item.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So since this is the Wolf thread after all.

Based on the recent video of Star Fox with StarLink, we know that the Star Fox team is in Atlus because apparently they are trying to track down Wolf who seems to be in Atlus as well.

What are your guys thoughts on Wolf possibly also being in Star Link as well?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Based on the recent video of Star Fox with StarLink, we know that the Star Fox team is in Atlus because apparently they are trying to track down Wolf who seems to be in Atlus as well.

Oh, I think Wolf is certainly going to make an appearance in Starlink. Tracking down Wolf is the whole reason why they traveled to Atlas in the first place, and there's an exclusive Star Fox storyline on Switch, too. The story ending in a dogfight between Wolf and the Star Fox team is pretty likely.

The real question is if the rest of Star Wolf will make an appearance or not. And if they don't, is Wolf possibly an unlockable character afterwards? Wolf's shown many times that he's willing to work with Star Fox if it suits his interests.

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice

Pretty cool. I don’t know much about Star Fox lore, but if they could do the graphical makeover they did to Fox on Wolf, oh boy.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Man, it's great to see Wolf being used in more games recently.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I agree - it wasn't until I saw him in Star Fox Assault and played as Wolf in Brawl that I started caring for his character, and seeing that he not only returns in Smash Ultimate but he'll also appear in Starlink and get his own Smash Amiibo is great. I'm curious what his role will be like in Starlink, if it'll be the usual antagonistic rivalry with Star Fox or if there is any bigger reason as to why they would journey so far from the Lylat System to end up in Atlas.

I would love to be able to play as Wolf because that would likely mean a Wolfen ship being created for the game as well. It'll also be fun to see how he interacts with the other characters in the game if at all that happens somewhere down the line.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Quick question,

But who is going to voice Wolf for Ultimate?

Seeing how the Star Fox 64 cast was and will be voicing them again for Smash Ultimate, is Wolf’s 64 voice actor going to voice him this time? And who was Wolf’s 64 voice actor anyways?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Quick question,

But who is going to voice Wolf for Ultimate?

Seeing how the Star Fox 64 cast was and will be voicing them again for Smash Ultimate, is Wolf’s 64 voice actor going to voice him this time? And who was Wolf’s 64 voice actor anyways?
That's currently up-in-the-air.

I'd argue that Ja Green returning from Star Fox Zero to reprise the role is most likely, especially since Fox and Falco's Star Fox Zero voice actors are reprising their roles as well. Everything Star Fox related in Ultimate is centered around Star Fox Zero, so certainly the Ja Green would be brought in too. Bonus points if Ja Green is reprising the role in Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

Otherwise, they could just reuse Jay Ward's voice clips from Brawl. There will be new clips for him, confirmed by the fact that he now has unique dialogue with Falco, so they'd have to bring Jay Ward in to do the new lines. Could be cheaper, if they only needed him for a few lines in addition to reused clips.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
What's Starlink?
Starlink: Battle for Atlas is an open-world adventure game made by Ubisoft. It features ship-based travel and combat across the Atlas solar system. The developers pitched it to Miyamoto, and got the Star Fox series to crossover into it, exclusively on Switch. Here's the E3 presentation if interested:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Can Wolf just keep the feral claws from now on in all future Star Fox games? Because in every game not Smash, he has human/clawless hands. Its so far been a Smash-only design.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
You don't know how beyond hyped I was when I found out Wolf was gonna be in Starlink. I thought it was just gonna be Fox and that was it. Then news came out that not only can you play as Fox in the Arwing for the ENTIRE game (he also takes part in the story), but Falco, Peppy, and Slippy are along for the ride as well, on top of that you don't have to buy the toys if you don't want to experience the game. Starlink went from a game I was "meh" about to a day one must buy for me.

Starlink looks to be the best Star Fox game since Assault. THIS is what the Star Fox series should evolve into and become in the future.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
You don't know how beyond hyped I was when I found out Wolf was gonna be in Starlink. I thought it was just gonna be Fox and that was it. Then news came out that not only can you play as Fox in the Arwing for the ENTIRE game (he also takes part in the story), but Falco, Peppy, and Slippy are along for the ride as well, on top of that you don't have to buy the toys if you don't want to experience the game. Starlink went from a game I was "meh" about to a day one must buy for me.

Starlink looks to be the best Star Fox game since Assault. THIS is what the Star Fox series should evolve into and become in the future.
I won't know how to feel if Starlink, this toy game, is a better Star Fox game than the last four Star Fox games :/

Last edited:

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex

Did they say Wolf? OwO I can't wait to see him and I'm so excited for this game.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Did they say Wolf? OwO I can't wait to see him and I'm so excited for this game.
He's the whole reason Star Fox is there. Star Fox is chasing after Wolf who escaped into the Atlas star system. We don't know why but since Star Fox are integrated into the main story. I'm thinking Wolf will be the final boss if you're playing through the game as Fox/Arwing. Wolf is pretty integral into the story according to that Ubisoft rep.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Wolf looks great in Starlink! My excitement for the game is through the roof!

Top Bottom