• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf Character Strategy?

Luigitakesover

Smash Rookie
I picked up wolf and I really like him, but I noticed there's not a thread for specific strategy/interesting things. So far I've personally discovered a few things, most people know about these but I'm listing them anyway

- When you use neutral B(n.B) in melee range, the gun actually hits your opponent.
- His forward B(f.B) has a "sweet spot" on the end that does more damage and has more knockback power, but its difficult to land due to the angular nature of it.
- His neutral air has almost no lag after it, so its fairly easy to combo after it.
- His f.Smash trips at point blank

I like how fast his reflector comes out, but I can't seem to find a use for it. I've been trying to use it to interrupt enemy attacks, but I can't seem to find the exact range. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does.

As for his up.B, well. I've been using it on the ground since you can control its direction and go forwards. CPU's and less experience players get caught off guard by it, but I'm pretty sure more experienced players will shield-grab

I don't like his dash.A either. It completely stops his momentum and if you miss with it you're wide open. From my experience, when I did hit with it, my opponent was able to get away before I could initiate an up air.

So has anyone discovered any tricks or have an impressions they'd like to share? If you discover something unique I'll update this post to include it

Update:

We've got some pretty good stuff. I'd like to thank everyone for contributing!

1. side.B can be cancelled! Don't really see much of a point, but you do get better horizontal distance. I take that back, if you can learn to do this fluidly you could theoretically land the sweetspot on someone who's standing on the ground.

2. In general, its agreed that his d.smash and bair are killtastic. F-smash, fair, uair kill at a little bit higher.

3. down throw is okay for set ups. It doesn't combo but it helps set the pace of a fight.

4. the shine is still...disputed. Some people claim to use it, some(like me) say they cant. Shine into fsmash can definitely be blocked, however.

5. The blaster is actually pretty awesome. Its a great tool for spacing.

6. Neutral air...its kind of weird. If you hit with the first part of it, you knock them away. If you hit with anything but the first, it grinds on them. After this there's very little lag. So when short hop nair-ing in, make sure start a bit early so that the first hit misses.

Something I'm still testing is back-throw into side.B...it can work(and kill) at some percents. Usually in the 40-60s I can land this. more experienced players will probably see it coming and DI, but in that case you could fair/rarbair for great justice? Not sure, exactly. Still working on practical applications

Please! Correct me if you see a discrepancy.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Use his Nair and then Uair and then Dair. If done right you smack them on the Ground.

When a opponent is near a edge, if you are willing to do it, jump off the stage and do a F-Special. that usually K.O's them or you can set up combos after that :laugh:

Relhots

Smash Lord
well, he is best for spacing with his side+b, just ask biggie lol...

He has a huge roll and his side b has huge range, and it also allows to set up combos...

the downside to wolf is that he sucks in ffa's.... all of his moves center on one person...

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Because of the little stun that wolf's reflector does I follow up with a f smash to keep my opponents from attacking me.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
His smashes are good KO moves.

Use his reflector to reflect stuff. It doubles the speed of it so it will alot harder for your opponent to dodge.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
Because of the little stun that wolf's reflector does I follow up with a f smash to keep my opponents from attacking me.
Yea, i've noticed people are starting to do this . Quick question though: do you do it as you are about to land or you do it out of a dash? because what i have found out is that you can dair it into a shine and follow up with a f-smash.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Yea, i've noticed people are starting to do this . Quick question though: do you do it as you are about to land or you do it out of a dash? because what i have found out is that you can dair it into a shine and follow up with a f-smash.
The possiblities are endless with Wolf. Sometimes I shine nair/dair into his A combo then if my opponent is at a low pecentage I follow up with a f smash. His A combo is amazing since it pushes you foward.

PurpleStuff

Smash Apprentice
No killing moves? Back air and down smash are both great, lightning-quick killing moves. Forward smash, forward tilt, forward B, and forward air aren't too shabby, either. His down air also shoots them straight down, although I don't know if it's a true spike or just a meteor, but probably a meteor.

From playing Wolf for a bit now, I spam the laser (which for some reason is quite good) until the enemy gets close enough to get hit by f-smash, which has just incredible range, along with d-smash. A great thing about Wolf is that even though his laser doesn't have the farthest reach, he can still hang back and go toe-to-toe with other projectile spammers because of his Reflector. If they get too close you can do his jabs (if you hold it then it will wait for them to get hit before sucking them in) or his forward-tilt, which both pack a punch and have decent knockback, although not real good KOs.

I don't like to come in from the air with Wolf too much, unless it's a bair. He seems to work best on the ground, with lots of rolls and foxtrotting back and forth to make use of his redonkulous f-smash.

But who knows how his game will evolve? Keep trying new stuff.

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
I would say other characters are a lot more lacking in the KO moves area then wolf. He's not Ike, but I can KO without them reaching 200%. Bair is good at spacing and for KO's at higher percents.

One of my complaints comes with the back throw placing them straight verticle practically. I guess it's good for juggling, but I like to use back throws as usually as a set up for spikes.

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
ive gotten his shine down amazing its range is so much better then fox's and can be followed by his f smash so easily and i forward b on edge guarders and they get spiked into oblivion, wolf feels like a fast melee ganondorf sometimes.... with guns and a tank, odd as that sounds

Dragnil

Smash Cadet
Also the part with the tip of his gun hurting people up close, if you can get that near an edge with average % on them you might be able to spike.

Invalid

Smash Rookie
His back air is great against characters like DDD and Kirby. Being a fox player, i'm not exactly used to his reflector shield yet but i've heard good things of it. (It seems a bit slower imo). His recovery seems to be something i'm having a problem with but maybe it's just me. He doesn't do as well in FFAs but is great for 1 v 1.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
His back air is great against characters like DDD and Kirby. Being a fox player, i'm not exactly used to his reflector shield yet but i've heard good things of it. (It seems a bit slower imo). His recovery seems to be something i'm having a problem with but maybe it's just me. He doesn't do as well in FFAs but is great for 1 v 1.

You are right, the shine is a bit slower...but i believe that its range is immense (specially when you do it in the air.) I havent tested this yet, but maybe you can pull your shine out as you are about to land then follow up with a fmash.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Wolf is a sick, sick character. Down smash is amazing, his tilts are amazing, he has good neutral jab combo, his air game is great, the blaster is just excellent, the shine is great. The only thing that is mediocre is his recovery, but otherwise, awesome character. After a few days I'm definitely maining him.

Voltaos

Smash Rookie
Regarding Wolf's Illusion, I honestly thing this move can be one of his biggest killing moves. I've played with Wolf a whole lot since I've received Brawl and he's one of my characters. I've been trying some things with him, one thing I've noticed is that certain characters just standing up straight can be hit with Wolf's Illusion sweet spot. Specifically Peach, Zelda, etc. Characters of that height, on a flat plain will get hit in the head and as a result rocket directly off stage.

Another thing I've noticed is that after Wolf's B-throw, you have a very nice window to sweet spot the Illusion because of the launch that the throw does. Wolf is a beast and hopefully we'll get some really good Wolf Players in the future.

My one complaint about Wolf is that one of his best moves, his F-air has a ridiculous lag animation. I'm looking into practical uses for it right now, but unless your opponent is at a high percentage it's too much of a risk to use it in competitive matches because of the time that you can get punished afterwards.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
His fsmash and dsmash are just plain great. They come out fast and both attacks are reasonably strong. Here's a good trick I learned early on when trying wolf: down throw to..well..anything really (at early percents). 0-10% you can try his AAA or ftilt. Higher than 10% is perfect for an ffsmash/dsmash. I found my opponent almost always gets hit by this (just don't spam it and they'll always be caught off guard). It's almost always a guaranteed hit early on. Higher percent's you can probably follow up with blaster just to harass.

Although I'm stickin with my main, Wolf is so far the highest candidate for my secondary :chuckle:

dxyabyss

Smash Rookie
spkies

also if anyone hasn't tried this so far, wolf's spikes are awesome Dair works great when edgeguarding and I've managed to use his F-b midair while facing the arena and gotten a KO across the screen (sweetspot hit)

nrowdevastates

Smash Rookie
a great thing to know what to do with wolf is to be able to reverse arial rush because his bair is really powerfull and has good knock back and is a great killing move. same with the d smash. also right at the end of wolfs side b i actually spiked one of my friends with it. it was at the tip of the move though practically impossible to land. like you said above the nair has about no lag after it and i sometimes use the nair to attack really quick roll around them if im about to get hit and either d smash or f smash and it leads it to some arial combos sometimes.

nrowdevastates

Smash Rookie
oh i forgot about his down trow.
it will lead into a f tilt or f smash or dash a at low percents.
sometimes i d throw dash a fair doesn't always work but its nice when it does.
and i also shot my gun at them it stuns em and i f smash or dash a

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
Well, for the few of us who have the advantage of fighting a good Ice Climbers player, Wolf's reflector works very well. You've seen those nasty grab combos that ICs can pull off? I found that a quick reflector to the face will beat them back, and can then be punished with a fsmash, or you can risk the grab if you think you can get rid of the one you grabbed before the other hits you.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
practical used for wolfs reflector? ground dodge leads up to an instantaneous reflector leading to an fsmash vs most characters, also DI!!!! save your jump in your recovery, fall close to the stage, jump AWAY from the stage to a sweetspot illusion, decent for catching them off guard. Someone said something about wishing his B-throw led to a spike (hoping for a horizontal throw) and someone else said its trajectory leads to a sweetspot illusion, if your opponent DI's toward the stage (assuming you're throwing them off) the B-throw sends them vertical, you cant illusion after it

Sonic721

Smash Rookie
What are some good approach moves with Wolf? List some aerial and ground moves.

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
AAA, Fsmash (very rarely), blaster spam...

RAR Bair...

His strat... claw at the foe until they are cut to ribbons.

Seriously, I've suicided with the Wolf Illusion more times than I want to to admit. However, if my opponent got knocked to the other side of Battlefield onto the platform by my Bair, I will punish him with a ->B upon landing. Hope you're fast!

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
Very quick B after you input side-b... but the timing is like 2-3 frames. (1 frame = 1/60 second).

I haven't found much use for it though... it seems that the sweetspot disappears.

Top Bottom