• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf: Battle Strategies; Day Two - Mr. Game and Watch

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Basically, this is a plan thought of by Kashakunaki to replace the old match up threadand we're basically doing this together. The premise is simple:

Every two days, a SSBB character shall be posted in the title of this thread. Your job as friendly posters is to just say, how exactly, do you deal with this matchup. It doesn't have to be long, but try to give as much specific help as reasonably possible. Then a summary shall be made and the scores averaged out.

Day One - Metaknight
Meta is a difficult opponent to face due to the fast attacks, great aerials and one of the best recoveries in the game. He beats Wolf's attack speed and severely outruns Wolf. However, if you happen to be fighting MK, theres plenty of way's for you to still win. First off, your blaster, short hopped or not, is essential in this fight; by using it to space, you turn into a defensive Wolf. While usually bad, you need to be on the defensive in this match. Your Fsmash and Back Aerial also space very well, and as such feel free to use them against MK. However, this leaves you needing a kill move: Don't attempt a spike, as you may get gimped. Instead, save up that down Smash until Meta Knight is near 110 percent or so, and then he dies. If he jumps at you, beat him in the aerial exchange with a 0 lag Fair. Other than that, play as you normally do, don't attempt to attack him with laggy attacks such as Up B or Side B.

Day Two - Mr. Game and Watch

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
A couple lazers every now and then coupled with a lot of smashes and bairs. I would rack up damage with the lazers and bairs, but I would also focus on the possibility of at least two meteor smashes, which, if I'm in my 'skilled mode', would be easy to do.

I would also pop off a lot of reflectors.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Ouch, first day just had to be Metaknight :p My strategy against Metaknight involves a lot of lasers, keeping spaced to hell and being more defensive than usual. I try my best to keep Metaknight grounded and shield grab all hit short hot aerials. I myself don't attempt a spike on Meta just because of being punished by shuttle loop and then most likely being gimped by Fairs. Sh Bairs are good so long as your doing it to him on the ground, Fairs are OK, front smash is probably one of your best friends in this fight though.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
The Solution: Pick a Different Character

Seriously, though. This match up is terrible. I'm actually picking up Snake for this fight.

Anyways, what you really need to do in this match is be defense and play it safe. No joke. Keep Metaknight away from you. Spacing is also very key. Keep him at a distance with plenty of dtilts, ftilts, and a few lasers. I notice people are saying laser a lot. I disagree. It is so easily powershield and Metaknight will punish you hard for it. One or two every now and then. I'd also recommend reverse B lasers so you can run from him, turn around and laser at the same time. Again, that's spacing.

Your Dsmash should kill him from the middle of Battlefield (assuming you don't hit them with a weird part of the hit box) at around 90%. Make sure you save it! Maybe use it once or twice in the beginning, but once he gets closer to killing percents be sure to save it so it will kill. If you spam Dsmash have fun making this match EVEN HARDER than it needs to be. What I often do is if I let a dsmash slip out at around 60% or so I will count 9 moves that hit him afterward. Only nine moves are queued in your stale move list. For example, you hit with a dsmash, then you hit with a laser. Count one. Then you hit with an ftilt and bair. Now you're at 3. Once you're around 8, 9, or higher (after 9 doesn't matter) your Dsmash should be plenty strong enough to kill him at that 90% range again.

My Summary:

-Play defensively
-Space with lasers, ftilts, dtilts, and some bairs
-Save your Dsmash ABSOLUTELY

I'd also recommend not spiking, but sometimes it works. Also, fsmash is pretty good. Please, though, use it sparingly. Also, careful not to dodgeroll too much

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Lasers are to force him to approach and stop tornadoes etc. Also use lasers to edge gaurd for most part, going for kills offstage is risky, but if you do it, usually wanna only use backair, only time i'd suggest trying downspike is if he's activated a glide since his patch of flgiht is kinda predictable. I've fallen in love with utilt in this matchup, when MK is trying to do the air attack jump air attack etc, utilt is a great punisher/damage racker. The main key though is that he can out prioritize him, so have him make the first move. I also love reflector in this matchup for stopping his very good tech chases. Sometimes the best finisher is to reflector an attack to dsmash, doesn't always work but if they don't see it coming its a great finisher.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
0 lag fair. This move helps greatly because it has great priority. You can consistently win aerial exchanges vs MK with this move. DI away from MK also makes this move relatively safe. This is my new favorite move, because i've recently discovered how much it helps vs characters with disjointed hitboxes.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Very obvious, but your lasers will help you a great deal. Firstly, it negates tornado and secondly, it forces MK to approach.

Turbo Ether said exactly what I was gonna say! fair helps out a great deal for exactly the same reasons.

If you want some space, shine or A combo for quick spacing. (Again, obvious)

Also, avoid his short hop aerials because when you're off the stage you're gonna have a hard time.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
no dguy6789 is right....metaknight isnt a bad matchup at all...every1 is talking about going defensive on meta but that doesnt work b/c hes too fast....you have to go offensive with bairs, 0 lag fairs, when he tornados you DI up and when you get pushed up for that half a second you reflector and gets you right out and combos with AAA...you just gotta think ahead, its obvious when metaknights use upB...ive reflected upB alot....so if you jump over them just reflector before hand or spike and 90% of the time they upB right into it.....mindgames..and dsmash with your kill move..thats how i play against meta....and i dont wanna hear any of this "you've then never played a good metaknight before" b/c ive played forte kirbster and many other metas in tourny and won.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I have never fought a competent MK. =(

All the ones I've fought have been noobs and were easy fights.

I even fought one in a tourny that was no good. I lost to a Falco in the finals. =(

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Hm...this seems good enough to write a nice summary on. Expect one up soon.

I think it's time to change characters, though if you have anything esle to say about Metaknight, go ahead.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I have no solid advice vs GW right now, except make sure you shield grab those Bairs and don't use your blaster too much, because your shots will get bucketed.

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Game and watch. Well backair is really good to space with GW since he'll prolly be spamming shop moves at you. If they key spam they are easy to beat since its punishable with bair while falling and fsmash when on ground(orgrab if they come at you with it). You can also grab his parachute to have him fall to his death if they try and do upb past the ledge, though most don't. I mean its just a spacing game really, don't try and get caught up in turtles and you should win.

P.S. Don't try and shield his bairs, only get ur shield poked. it is possible to sidestep it, but its hard. Just jump away or roll etc. you can pop him with a laser if he's done bair and can't bucket.

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
hey, i have a question, does the bucket carry over lives? as in, if he has it filled up by two shots, and dies, will he still only need one more to use oil panic?

and as you can probably tell, i haven't fought any good G&W so i don't really know what to add XP

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
hey, i have a question, does the bucket carry over lives? as in, if he has it filled up by two shots, and dies, will he still only need one more to use oil panic?

and as you can probably tell, i haven't fought any good G&W so i don't really know what to add XP
It does carry over. It was like this in Melee as well I believe.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
ok...here are my thoughts on G&W
if you play a good G&W....you auto lose....he ***** space animals w/o even trying....my advice is get a secondary that can beat him b/c there are a good amount of them in tourny...try snake b/c uptilt kills him at like 80-90%
but yea...if you decided to still go wolf......you just need to be really good at spacing or you will get bair'd like crazy....and when they try to key you....downsmash out of shield....theres also a certain point when G&W is doing the turtle move that you can shield grab...so try to find that and take advantage

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Lol. Wow. I suck. I still use a different character against G&W than Wolf. Oh well.

If you're not using Olimar like I am, I don't know what to do. I haven't really played G&W with Wolf, just Olimar. I've been to afraid to do it with Wolf. My advice is keep the pressure. Also, keep him in the air and punish his fair and dair, but don't forget the dair has two hits.

Predict when he will Bair and foxtrot away and charge an Fsmash... or something. Roll to the other side. Just don't shield it.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I've never found G&W to be a hard match, ever. In fact, I don't think I ever have more fun fighting any other character as Wolf than I do against G&W. I honestly don't know what kind of advice I can give, but based on what I remember keep the fight on the ground and watch out for his smash attacks, as they can KO at pretty low percents.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Really? My recommendation would be to keep him in the air above you. The only move he could hit you with is Dair which has a fairly predictable linear path and therefore can be punished if you see it coming.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Added in a MK summary. If anyone has anything else to say about G&W, I'm not adding a new character until tonight.

Pink~

Smash Rookie
Personally, G&W is really fun to play, and easy if you know what to do.

Biggest part of my strat against him is to make him bucket. They love to spam it.
But it has so much lag after it. Punish it.
Also remember that after they fill up the bucket, you can still hit them with the blaster.
After that though you have to be extremely defensive because at 40%+ it can kill.

His smashes, specifically his dsmash, can kill at 90-110%, so be careful when reaching high %

lobo66

Smash Rookie
i hope someone updates this, maybe next time it's about rob coz i'm having trouble against rob players.

Top Bottom