• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf and Fox comparison-Why Wolf is not a clone!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
No, it doesn't spike. It just seems to knockback. I haven't had a good enough view of this attack to confirm the spin kick myself, but a few people have reported it to me.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ok, fine. Wolf is not based on Fox in any way shape or form, besides his FS :rolleyes:

You and the other Wolf fans who want to justify your character in the face of so many people wanting someone else instead are the only ones who believe it, but it'll be true while you're in this subforum.

Meanwhile the rest of the world will still see him as a heavily modified version of Fox that is about like Luigi is to Mario. That's not the most horrible thing in the world - I mean, people don't hate Luigi, do they? It's like saying Luigi's up-B is completely different from Mario's. In practical terms, yeah, it has very different effects... but nobody would deny it was based on Mario's.

Luigi's B moves? UpB, DownB and B are all cloned moves.

Wokf's 'blaster' has a different effect, animation, and hitbox to Fox's blaster. Luigi's fireball has a different firing animation, but the projectile itself is just a pallete swap of Mario's fireball, and the hitbox is the same.

We don't even know much about Wolf's reflector yet, but it seems like it is a counter to physical attacks.
Come on now, apply the same standards to Luigi that you do to Wolf.

Luigi's up-B has a similar animation to Mario's. That's pretty much the only similarity. The attack effects are completely different. If Wolf's blaster is a "new move" so is Luigi's up-B, since after all, the fact that it's still a **** blaster shooting lasers apparently is irrelevant. So the fact that Luigi is still just jumping should be irrelevant in face of all the differences to the attack.

Down B is not shared with Mario anymore, and Mario's d-air has very different properties. Don't forget that the fact that Mario has FLUDD counts too.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Ok, fine. Wolf is not based on Fox in any way shape or form, besides his FS :rolleyes:

You and the other Wolf fans who want to justify your character in the face of so many people wanting someone else instead are the only ones who believe it, but it'll be true while you're in this subforum.

Meanwhile the rest of the world will still see him as a heavily modified version of Fox that is about like Luigi is to Mario. That's not the most horrible thing in the world - I mean, people don't hate Luigi, do they? It's like saying Luigi's up-B is completely different from Mario's. In practical terms, yeah, it has very different effects... but nobody would deny it was based on Mario's.
Wolf isn't a clone and there is a ton of proof around you...especially in this thread. Unless there is a term for a character that shares one move together, then your wrong...Stop being Bias...

NESSBOUNDER: in what direction does the reflector knock people? on the sides, upwards, or downwards? how about in the air? (just wondering for my friends sake...he would be mad if Wolf could. lol)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Zero Suit Samus also shoots energy from her gun. FOX CLONE!

The thing is, Wolf has a totally different "gun slinging" animation to Fox. When Luigi does his jump, the animaion is exactly the same.

Sorry, but Luigi's up B only has a different effect. Wolf's up B has a different effect AND a different animation.

You're ignoring solid evidence and comparison when it's right in front of you. I compared Wolf to Luigi move for move, and Wolf comes out on top using cold, hard statistics.

Oh, and I forgot about FLUDD and down air, but even then, Wolf STILL has more unique moves.

As for the reflector, hmm. I haven't actually seen anyone HIT with it yet.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Sorry, but Luigi's up B only has a different effect. Wolf's up B has a different effect AND a different animation.

You're ignoring solid evidence and comparison when it's right in front of you. I compared Wolf to Luigi move for move, and Wolf comes out on top using cold, hard statistics.

Oh, and I forgot about FLUDD and down air, but even then, Wolf STILL has more unique moves.
Most of Wolf's moves have different effects than Fox...not just Wolf's up+b (es obvio) lol

Someone in Japan should make a vid of all of Wolf's attacks and thier effects on the ground and in the air...

Charzonsos

Smash Cadet
Wolf seems pretty cool. And after reading more threads, the only clone I see is Toon/WW/PH/4S Link.

Relhots

Smash Lord
That would help a lot for all characters. lol.

Youtube moveset compilations.
Is there anyone on here that has brawl? I going to ask my friend if any of his friends in the Philippines have the game...(they play japanese games there...and my friend just told me that he could read some japanese...a little too late i guess.)

Black/Light

Smash Master

Hummmm you know what? Im a Krystal fan and thought she should be in over Wolf ANY day. Never been interested in him. Never thought he would get in over her till the 35 roster was confirmed by the Neo 3.

. . .Even with my sure level of non-Wolf fanness I can clearly see that Wolf aint a clone of Fox. To me it's like this. . .

Fox= the original

Falco= Has been changed sence melee and is very much different in brawl from the looks of it and impressions I have read. Could say he was Luigi-ed from what we have seen alone but we have yet to see all his moves and he could be even more unique/ different when we find them all out. Im going with Kishi who has the game, played him and said he is "so not" a clone and that his moves have been "Totally reworked".

Wolf= . . . VEEERRRYYYYYY loosly based on the above 2 but is clearly the most different of the 3. I don't even think "Luigi" is the right term. . .he seems too different to be called that. I mostly see him as a completely different character for the most part when I look at him in action and NOT just go by the blunt report of his B moves and FS that released with his confirmation from Japan.

I actually might main him along with Falco and my other mains because of how unique he looks to be.

So yeah, I think complaining about these 2 characters (Falco and Wolf) is just the "Brawl Roster Syndrome" where people want to make things seem worst than they are. :p

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, that was very informative. I think people are just assuming that Wolf is a clone because he's a the third rep from the Star Fox series, and he resembles fox in that he is a dog-like character. I wouldn't have minded too much if he did turn out to be a semi-clone... but since he's not, it just makes Wolf that much cooler.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm not trying to complain about Wolf. I'm just saying acting like he's completely different except for the FS is simply not true. His specials are obviously based on Fox's - they're different, but still based on Fox. They would have been highly unlikely to give him those moves had they thought about it independently (i.e. asked someone who didn't know Fox's moves).

I wouldn't simply call Luigi a clone either. He's pretty distinct from Mario.

And also it's only annoying me that people are acting as if I ever said anything that would imply that Fox and ZSS are clones. That you have to set up strawmen in almost every response to me does not make your point look valid.

"Your standards say Ike and Marth are clones!" No, I don't imply that at all.

"Your standards say Fox and ZSS are clones!" No, I don't imply that at all.

"Your standards say everybody but the original 12 minus Luigi are clones!" The most ridiculous one in the whole thread.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Nicely put, Black/Light. Even Krystal supporters can appreciate that Wolf's moveset is unique even without a staff.
It does really suck that Krystal isn't in Brawl..though.

Erimir is just being bias...probably because he supported a character that didn't get in... and taking it out on Wolf...cause he was the last one confirmed...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
And you're just being biased because you're Wolf fans :rolleyes: To be honest, I'm only arguing because I'm argumentative and I'll nitpick on the details. Yeah, Wolf's not a straight up clone. But he IS like Luigi.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
The fact is, Wolf has more unique attacks than Luigi.

And what does that say about Luigi then?

You say things like "Wolf's blaster is still a blaster" yet Zero Suit Samus's stungun is basically the same move, only chargable. Yet for some reason her attack is original while Wolf's isn't? NOT ONE of Wolf's A moves and throws are similar to Fox. His up B is about as similar to the Firefox as Ike's Aether is to Kirby's Final cutter in that they only look similar, yet do totally different things.

Relhots

Smash Lord
And you're just being biased because you're Wolf fans :rolleyes: To be honest, I'm only arguing because I'm argumentative and I'll nitpick on the details. Yeah, Wolf's not a straight up clone. But he IS like Luigi.
Im really a fan of all games...i don't go to other threads and disagree with everything they prove...mostly everybody now thinks that Wolf isn't a luigified character or cloned character...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
You say things like "Wolf's blaster is still a blaster" yet Zero Suit Samus's stungun is basically the same move, only chargable. Yet for some reason her attack is original while Wolf's isn't?
Because the context is different.

Like, nobody would say Pit is a Luigi-clone of Link because he has a bow. And his bow is different. But if he also had a bomb attack, and a boomerang attack, and a jumping spin attack with fire... well, maybe they'd think a little differently. Even if they all work somewhat differently and the animations aren't all the same... you don't think anyone would suggest that maybe Pit's moves were based on Link's?

Get the point? You can't just take it out of context and say that my point is leading to that - it's all the specials together which are clearly based on Fox's. If Wolf just had the blaster, then it would be different. ZSS just has a blaster. Therefore it's different.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ya i recently watch a good video of wolf and realized that he\'s not a clone at all he looks deadly infact so i cant wait to use him.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Because the context is different.

Like, nobody would say Pit is a Luigi-clone of Link because he has a bow. And his bow is different. But if he also had a bomb attack, and a boomerang attack, and a jumping spin attack with fire... well, maybe they'd think a little differently. Even if they all work somewhat differently and the animations aren't all the same... you don't think anyone would suggest that maybe Pit's moves were based on Link's?

Get the point? You can't just take it out of context and say that my point is leading to that - it's all the specials together which are clearly based on Fox's. If Wolf just had the blaster, then it would be different. ZSS just has a blaster. Therefore it's different.
the Pit, Link analogy is the same with Wolf and Fox...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Context schmontext. We're looking at wolf as a CHARACTER here. Link and Samus are technically clones then, because they both have the following:

Up B: spin attack

Forward B: Slight controllable projectile

B: charagable projectile

Down B: bomb

SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

The fact is, Wolf is the least clony out of any of the clones in this game. He deserves better than that because his moveset is very unique and extremely cool to watch. Fox does not have "2 clones" in this game, his only clone is Falco. Wolf is not a clone.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Context schmontext. We're looking at wolf as a CHARACTER here. Link and Samus are technically clones then, because they both have the following:

Up B: spin attack

Forward B: Slight controllable projectile

B: charagable projectile

Down B: bomb

SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

The fact is, Wolf is the least clony out of any of the clones in this game. He deserves better than that because his moveset is very unique and extremely cool to watch. Fox does not have "2 clones" in this game, his only clone is Falco. Wolf is not a clone.
Ah an even better analogy that explains why Wolf isn't a clone...good one.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Okay, okay, okay. Everyone just take a deep breath... breath in... and out...
Has everyone composed themselves? Good.

Okay, the last thing we need is a stupid arguement. That goes for everyone. Maybe a mature and reasonable debate where both sides are taken into consideration, but lets not start flaming and being short sighted here.

Erimir, I apologize if you feel like you are being attacked, which, just may be the case. Let's just all take a step back from things, alright?

Erimir, what is your viewpoint on Wolf in regards to his modifications from Fox? I understand you don't think he's a new character in and of himself, right (the key word being you, as it is his opinion, so we must respect that if we want him to respect ours)? Why exactly do you think that? Let's throw some points out here.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Okay, okay, okay. Everyone just take a deep breath... breath in... and out...
Has everyone composed themselves? Good.

Okay, the last thing we need is a stupid arguement. That goes for everyone. Maybe a mature and reasonable debate where both sides are taken into consideration, but lets not start flaming and being short sighted here.

Erimir, I apologize if you feel like you are being attacked, which, just may be the case. Let's just all take a step back from things, alright?

Erimir, what is your viewpoint on Wolf in regards to his modifications from Fox? I understand you don't think he's a new character in and of himself, right (the key word being you, as it is his opinion, so we must respect that if we want him to respect ours)? Why exactly do you think that? Let's throw some points out here.
Were not flaming Erimir... we are having a reasonable debate...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJgvmPdeDQ

Thanks to this video, I've pretty much completed his moveset and comparisons on the main post. All we need to see now is his forward throw and his grab attack and figure out what exactly his reflector does.

Also, I need someone to help me find the source of that incredible flying kick. I'm pretty sure it's his up B though.

Relhots

Smash Lord
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJgvmPdeDQ

Thanks to this video, I've pretty much completed his moveset and comparisons on the main post. All we need to see now are his down and forward throws and figure out what exactly his reflector does.

Also, I need someone to help me find the source of that incredible flying kick. I'm pretty sure it's his up B though.
Its probably his up+b aimed down...like in melee with fox's fire fox aimed down...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'm not necessarily saying you are (I might have actually said that... but I didn't mean it like that). Just thinks seem to be gettin' tense and Erimir(SP?) seems to be getting a little frustrated.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
We're all frustrated with each other, so it's fair game.

And Wolf has his up B to get him out of tight spots against aerial opponents considering how fast it activates.

Relhots

Smash Lord
I'm not necessarily saying you are (I might have actually said that... but I didn't mean it like that). Just thinks seem to be gettin' tense and Erimir(SP?) seems to be getting a little frustrated.
no, im in a completely good mood tonight...probably cause its a full moon out tonight...jk

Black/Light

Smash Master
The truth of the matter is that no one in this game is a clone when you get down too it. people have taken the word "clone" and gone to town with it. The original name that Sakurai himself used when he released them was "model change characters". As in, they had ALL the same attacks and animations (maybe one or 2 different animations) and the only difference was their stats and the effects of their attacks to some level.

That is NOT the case here. Look at the Ness/ Luc updates. . .thats around how unique these "alike" characters have become. I will use Fox/ Falco/ Wolf as a example.

Up B
Fox: Fire Fox where he shoots in a direction after charging up. Hits once.
Falco: Same as above but differs in desance and hits multi times.
Wolf: Completely different. Some kind of non charged upward or directional kick.

B
Fox: Rapid but doesn't stun.
Falco: Not as fast but stuns and has a different range.
Wolf: Slow but packs more damage and is shorter in range.

B side
Fox: We know his. . .
Falco: Interesting, it seems to move at different ranges in brawl vids and sometimes he bearly does a dash like it crapped out or something. . .odd. I would like to hear the reason for this in a dojo update or the gulde.
Wolf: Goes at a 40-45 degree angle.

Bv
Fox: Reflective shine.
Falco: Completely different now. He throws it like a yo yo and if you are right next to him is doesn't hit you. Would also like to hear a reason for this too seeing as we don't know how to effectively use it.
Wolf: Reflective shine (we don't know all it does but it reflects).

And thats where most of their likeness is outside of the LandMaster FS. Falco's moves have been reworked to have a crap load of spins, better aerials (makes him look more graceful), bird like attacks and so on well Wolf is in his own claw slinging world of pain and bada**ness.

So no, Fox doesn't have 2 clones. . .he doesn't even have one clone. He has a character thats simular to him in some ways (they are on the same team so what can you expect) and one that is loosly based on him at most.

The line between clone and non-clone was clearly set when Sakurai showed the clones on the old site. Each of these 3 characters have different ATTACKS/ differnt ANIMATIONS for these attacks and different EFFECTS for their attacks as well as different STATS. Clones only have different stats and effects. . .not different attacks and animations.

I look forward to the dojo update where he explains the differences or atleast for the day where some luck guy/ girl sets down and makes a vid with these 3 showing all their attacks so that we can see this.

So yeah, Wolf/ Falco aint clones of Fox and people have one less thing to complain about when talking about the roster.;)

Relhots

Smash Lord
The truth of the matter is that no one in this game is a clone when you get down too it. people have taken the word "clone" and gone to town with it. The original name that Sakurai himself used when he released them was "model change characters". As in, they had ALL the same attacks and animations (maybe one or 2 different animations) and the only difference was their stats and the effects of their attacks to some level.

That is NOT the case here. Look at the Ness/ Luc updates. . .thats around how unique these "alike" characters have become. I will use Fox/ Falco/ Wolf as a example.

Up B
Fox: Fire Fox where he shoots in a direction after charging up. Hits once.
Falco: Same as above but differs in desance and hits multi times.
Wolf: Completely different. Some kind of non charged upward or directional kick.

B
Fox: Rapid but doesn't stun.
Falco: Not as fast but stuns and has a different range.
Wolf: Slow but packs more damage and is shorter in range.

B side
Fox: We know his. . .
Falco: Interesting, it seems to move at different ranges in brawl vids and sometimes he bearly does a dash like it crapped out or something. . .odd. I would like to hear the reason for this in a dojo update or the gulde.
Wolf: Goes at a 40-45 degree angle.

Bv
Fox: Reflective shine.
Falco: Completely different now. He throws it like a yo yo and if you are right next to him is doesn't hit you. Would also like to hear a reason for this too seeing as we don't know how to effectively use it.
Wolf: Reflective shine (we don't know all it does but it reflects).

And thats where most of their likeness is outside of the LandMaster FS. Falco's moves have been reworked to have a crap load of spins, better aerials (makes him look more graceful), bird like attacks and so on well Wolf is in his own claw slinging world of pain and bada**ness.

So no, Fox doesn't have 2 clones. . .he doesn't even have one clone. He has a character thats simular to him in some ways (they are on the same team so what can you expect) and one that is loosly based on him at most.

The line between clone and non-clone was clearly set when Sakurai showed the clones on the old site. Each of these 3 characters have different ATTACKS/ differnt ANIMATIONS for these attacks and different EFFECTS for their attacks as well as different STATS. Clones only have different stats and effects. . .not different attacks and animations.

I look forward to the dojo update where he explains the differences or atleast for the day where some luck guy/ girl sets down and makes a vid with these 3 showing all their attacks so that we can see this.

So yeah, Wolf/ Falco aint clones of Fox and people have one less thing to complain about when talking about the roster.;)
Thank you... except Toon Link is a pure clone of Link

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think Black/Light and I are sorta in agreement... to the extent that there are clones in Brawl, Wolf can be grouped with them. But they're not really clones, if that means what was in Melee. If we're going by genetic relatedness (clone meaning exact same DNA :p) then they're more like siblings (50% DNA shared, rather than 100%).

Except maybe Toon Link. But maybe there are more differences between him and Link than are known yet... his boomerang is just as different as Fox/Wolf/Falco's lasers are, at the least, and some of his standard attacks are different too (that d-air is interesting, for sure). He's definitely the most clone-ish tho.

The point of my original post was that nobody was claiming Wolf was just like Fox - just that they were hoping for some more originality. You know, like, without an illusion, blaster and/or forcefield move, etc. In practice (i.e. gameplay) it doesn't make a difference, since the moves work differently. Sakurai made them different enough that they'll play much more differently than the clones in Melee... It's more about the appearance than the actual effects of the moves. He was too lazy to come up with different concepts behind the moves. I mean, how many of the proposed Wolf movesets had specials like the ones he ended up with? It's easier to change the properties around so that they work differently... just say "This one will knock you up instead of forward, it'll travel farther, do less damage, etc."

Which is why the Samus/Link thing comparison doesn't really work... They don't have the same concept behind the moves at all (missiles =/= boomerang, bow =/= power beam, screw attack =/= spinning sword... laser does = laser), and besides the other, larger differences between the properties of the moves. And I had already said earlier that appearance/flavor was part of it.

(By flavor I mean all the creative aspects that don't have any effect on gameplay... I dunno if this term is familiar outside of Magic...)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
That's the thing though: ALL OF WOLF'S A ATTACKS ARE UTTERLY AND TOTALLY UNIQUE to Fox's moves! That's going way beyond any of the other 'clones'.

Flavour has nothing to do with it, actually. These characters are made up of polygon animations with hitboxes attatched to them.
Wolf just LOOKS like a clone because of his "flavour", but in reality he is a very unique character in terms of moveset and stats. If he had even three more cloned moves from Fox I would agree to call him a luigified clone, but the way he is now, it's ridiculous to compare him that way.

You seemed to think that different animations mean nothing and then you say that Link and Samus's B moves are different because of 'flavour'.

You know what makes that flavour? It's the animations.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Hmm... I'm not really sure where to stand on this whole thing.

Black/Light and Erimir make great points, but I'm not really sure what exactly it is you're trying to get to here.

If must I guess I would say Wolf drifts across the line of "Clone" and original character, but then I have to ask myself. What defines an original character? What truly defines an original character in the game of Smash. Someone tell me.

I think it is safe to say Olimar is original, right? So, why do we come to that conclusion? What makes Olimar original? For example.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
There aren't any other characters who share animations and playing styles with Olimar.

What kind of question was that? Are you just trying to complicate things now?

SiD

Smash Master
Ok douchebags, them having some different attacks doesn't make them cut and dry original characters either, just like having some like attacks doesn't make them exactly fully clones. Stop being so **** hypocritical and everyone, please, shut the **** up. Daddy has a headache.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ok douchebags, them having some different attacks doesn't make them cut and dry original characters either, just like having some like attacks doesn't make them exactly fully clones. Stop being so **** hypocritical and everyone, please, shut the **** up. Daddy has a headache.
The thing is, Wolf has more than just 'a few' original attacks. Pretty much ALL of Wolf's attacks are original with the exception of 3 (which even then are heavily modified almost to the point of originality.)

In order for a character to be considered unoriginal, I would assume that the moveset would mainly consist of borrowed moves. >_>

And don't you try to tell us what to do just because you have no real meaningful input on the matter.

SiD

Smash Master
Ok, here's your meaningful input: People define what a clone is differently. So stop telling eachother that they are or aren't clones, cause you're all wrong.

Black/Light

Smash Master
There aren't any other characters who share animations and playing styles with Olimar.

What kind of question was that? Are you just trying to complicate things now?
This is going abit off track but I think he is saying that Olimar is a character that has nothing in common with any other character. Like MK/ Pitt and Sonic.

Really, the smash world is funny. . .words and phases take on a complete life of their own. From "Mind Games" being yelled at any lil trick seen in a fight to "clones" being yelled when characters share afew moves. . . interesting.

And Erimir, if we are talking about family trees than I would say. . .Falco is like a half brother and Wolf is like Fox's cuz in brawl from what I have seen.:p

But I go by the pure, first meaning of the word and where it came from. These characters share simlurities but by no means are they clones/ Model change characters like in Melee (maybe Toon Link is but I have yet to see very much of him myself). We can all see that Wolf and Falco had actual thought put into them and not just "Hey! Lets change the model and screw with effects/ stats and call them new!" like in melee and melee is the only game where clones first appeared in. We only have that game to rate what makes a clone and to me brawl is showing no signs of that.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Wow, people are dumb. I've spent an entire day playing as Wolf. He has almost nothing in common with Fox at all. He has five moves that are somewhat similar to Foxs. His Bair functions and looks like Foxs. Reflector, Illusion (or whatever it's called for Wolf), Blaster and Recovery are the next most similar moves and they all function and/or animate completely differently depending on the situation. Example, his Recovery is more like a way faster, stronger, kicking version of Luigi's side+B when used on the ground, with good knockback. He is far far beyond luigified. I can't stress how different he is from Fox. Same goes for Falco too. Just play the game and you'll see.

Top Bottom