• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wishful Thinking: An Echo Fighter's Pass

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
The DLC is supposed to have ended, but I'm disappointed there wasn't a bonus echo fighter as a thank you gift to all the fans who purchased the game plus the DLC.

My idea is wishful thinking, but maybe we can surprise Sakurai and offer to create...
an OFFICIAL Echo Fighters Pass

With a Kickstarter, perhaps we can get his attention so we can ask him if we can help make the DLC echo fighters such as Octoling, Dixie Kong, Gooigi, etc.
I'd like us to make them for Sakurai's old development team (who won't do any of the work for fairness purposes) as a way of saying thanks to their hard work.
Surely, we should be able to do this while cutting Sakurai a lot of "slackurai".
You may not think this'll happen, but...
with Kickstarter and the power of donations, we gotta try.
Surely, there must be someone (I'm not one of them sadly) who should be able to set up a Kickstarter offer (or any offer that Nintendo can see) to make at least one bonus echo happen.
I do hope this works...

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Why do you think this would work? I don't think any non-solicited pitch to Nintendo has ever worked. In fact, the use of Kickstarter here comes off as extremely money launder-ey.
Shouldn't we be able to find someone who's willing and able to do all the work so Sakurai doesn't have to, all with his permission and Nintendo's, of course?

Plus, we don't need to do Palutena's Guidance (as for all DLC characters sans Piranha Plant), the DLC Spirit Board or even a Classic route for these bonus echoes. There'll be no Mii costumes to go with them either. Surely, these should be quite easy compared to the previous Fighter's Pass.
I also recommend doing only 1st party echoes if even one 3rd party (such as Jin from Tekken) would be too hard.

They may not want Sora to not be the last fighter of the game anymore, but look what happened to Splatoon 2.
They clearly said the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest would be the last, and a couple years later, there's the newly done Mushroom vs. Star Splatfest.

The point is you can never say never.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
How about instead we reflect on how the base game could've used more (like Shadow and Alph).
How about instead we do something to give the fans one last surprise that would OFFICIALLY be in the game.
I'd hate to say it but...
Sakurai shouldn't have ended on Sora, and instead gave us one more pass which include (mostly if not entirely) echo fighters with no Classic Route or DLC Spirit Board to minimize time, cost and effort.
That or at least ONE echo fighter bonus.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Shouldn't we be able to find someone who's willing and able to do all the work so Sakurai doesn't have to, all with his permission and Nintendo's, of course?

Plus, we don't need to do Palutena's Guidance (as for all DLC characters sans Piranha Plant), the DLC Spirit Board or even a Classic route for these bonus echoes. There'll be no Mii costumes to go with them either. Surely, these should be quite easy compared to the previous Fighter's Pass.
I also recommend doing only 1st party echoes if even one 3rd party (such as Jin from Tekken) would be too hard.

They may not want Sora to not be the last fighter of the game anymore, but look what happened to Splatoon 2.
They clearly said the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest would be the last, and a couple years later, there's the newly done Mushroom vs. Star Splatfest.

The point is you can never say never.
How about instead we do something to give the fans one last surprise that would OFFICIALLY be in the game.
I'd hate to say it but...
Sakurai shouldn't have ended on Sora, and instead gave us one more pass which include (mostly if not entirely) echo fighters with no Classic Route or DLC Spirit Board to minimize time, cost and effort.
That or at least ONE echo fighter bonus.
I don't wanna sound like a donk, but stuff like this results in warnings if not being banned outright.

Nah

Smash Champion
tbh echoes/clones should've stopped being a thing as soon as entirely separate characters being alts for fighters became a thing in Smash 4

nevermind that "you only can get this if you bought all the DLC" stuff is a terrible idea anyway

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
tbh echoes/clones should've stopped being a thing as soon as entirely separate characters being alts for fighters became a thing in Smash 4

nevermind that "you only can get this if you bought all the DLC" stuff is a terrible idea anyway
But wouldn't you have expected one last surprise from Sakurai after the Sora presentation?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Hate to be that guy, but Sakurai is done with Ultimate. Let's wait for the next game before making an Echos pass

Wishlist:

Hilda (Zelda)
Black Shadow (Captain Falcon)
Octolings (Inklings)

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Hate to be that guy, but Sakurai is done with Ultimate. Let's wait for the next game before making an Echos pass

Wishlist:

Hilda (Zelda)
Black Shadow (Captain Falcon)
Octolings (Inklings)
There may not be a next time, that's why I wanted the Echoes Pass in this game.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Or maybe we can do a Kickstarter to donate to Sakurai to save for the next Smash game to ensure everyone comes back?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I suppose Sakurai can leave a skeleton crew of his team, or Bamco can do the same with their contribution to the devs to do this.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I suppose Sakurai can leave a skeleton crew of his team, or Bamco can do the same with their contribution to the devs to do this.
That's not a bad idea. I hope someone who's able to contact any of these guys sees it or someone in Smashboards is able to talk to the previous someone.
Oh, and 4 bonus echoes imo would suffice (5 and especially above would be a little too much).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This feels like the extreme opposite of hoping Sakurai is actually going to take a long vacation.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
This feels like the extreme opposite of hoping Sakurai is actually going to take a long vacation.
Perhaps he DOESN'T direct the Echoes pass but instead supervises? I dunno.

ALSO: He did not write the script for Pyra and Mythra's trailer and that turned out fine.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I would like echo pass if they can be as good as Ken others echoes were straight up lazy
That waa the point, it was literally the only way to prevent base SSBU from having an abysmal number of newcomers.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So just that I’m understanding this correct…

1) Someone creates a Kickstarter to raise an unknown amount of money to start an Echo fighter pack
2) We find, again, someone after raising this money to help create the echo pack knowing that it could take yeeeears to complete
3) We gain the blessing by Nintendo and Sakurai to let this become an official product despite knowing both their track records with squashing fan-made content.
4) Nintendo and Sakurai grants us unlimited access to Smash Bros. engine and assets that’s necessary for us to create said content despite the fact doing so would lead to information that’s typically left secret from the public being revealed. They would risk their game engine and programming leaked to the internet and so a ragtag group of forum members can develop an echo pack.
5) Even if they do allow such a travesty to happen, who gets the money from transactions? The money was made via Kickstarter and I’m sure there’s things set up to avoid fraud. I never did a Kickstarter and don’t intend to. Where would this money earned from echo pack sales go to?
6) The Internet is supposed to accept that a small group from Smashboards managed to convince Nintendo to let us create an echo pack and then release it officially.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sigh It's hard to explain how to make a good idea.
You have to understand, too many people in the Smash community want to believe Sakurai is taking a long vacation, and don't want anything to happen that will reveal the truth: He's not. He's going to continue working on SOMETHING, whether or not it's Smash. And if it's the latter, it's more likely to be a new Smash for the Switch's successor than continuing working on Ultimate.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
You have to understand, too many people in the Smash community want to believe Sakurai is taking a long vacation, and don't want anything to happen that will reveal the truth: He's not. He's going to continue working on SOMETHING, whether or not it's Smash. And if it's the latter, it's more likely to be a new Smash for the Switch's successor than continuing working on Ultimate.
THEORY:
January 2020 is the half way point of the Switch's life according to Nintendo, and perhaps Sakurai believed that he wouldn't have time to complete a 3rd Fighter's Pass before the new console gets announced. It's rumored to be released in late 2022 or early 2023 whether Nintendo denies it or not. It's said developers were given the tools for the new console. I think Sakurai might be one of them.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sigh It's hard to explain how to make a good idea.
Im not questioning that an echo fighter pack is a good idea or not. I personally like it…

I’m questioning your entire motive of “someone besides me should create a kickstarter to get Nintendo to allow us fans to create a echo fighter pass using their development tools and then have Nintendo market it as their own product.” Your echo fighter pass as a concept is perfectly fine, your thread expectations and execution is what’s questionable. I would also question your grasp on knowledge on gaming industry practices but even I am very flaky on those but know enough to understand what you are suggesting is nigh if not entirely impossible from what we can personally do.

At most, perhaps a fan created echo pack mod that’s put onto GamingBanana but that would take upwards to a year or more with properly made. And nintendo wouldn’t want anything to do with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom