• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winners Round 1 and Gamestop Tournament Discussion

Jeradin

Smash Rookie
The two in my close area were at different times. The one I went to started just before the release of the game, and the one my friend went to and won started at noon the next day. When I played, I lost the first round against my rival, mainly because I wasn't used to the feel of the game. Either way, I didn't really mind. It was a fun experience and I hope I get to do that again. 1 minute really sucked, though. It was like, "Here's a game you've never played before with completely new controls. You have one minute to win." But all in all, it was fun.

Sanity's Eclipse

Smash Rookie
Won my round two.

Random characters, random stages, 2 minute matches, and items on medium.
I got Ice Climbers and just cruised my way through. Only 8 of the 16 people that were supposed to show up did. Final match was on Sample L: Maze, which I had never played before. Other than that it all went well.

ssbmfox2002

Smash Rookie
I won at my gamestop opening night....moved on to 2nd round and won there too, Im getting really excited....2nd round last weekend was intense, the first guy I fought (zelda) was probaably the best one there, and if I hadent killed myself one stock, there wouldnt have been sudden death...but I won the SD with a good smash attack and the rest of the guys I played were much easier...though my heart was raching the whole time, see all you guys in 2 weeks in San Jose :D

ssbmfox2002

Smash Rookie
Round 2 Story

Going in I was very nervious....as I was at the pre-release tournament in SF. I had gone in the day before to ask how it would be run and the manager was very nice and told me all the rules and so I was very pleased. Choose char, no items, 3 mins. I was so happy about all of that. But he told me people were coming down from Reno and up from Davis (I live in California) so I was concerned.....i mean it was regionals. So...first match, I fought a Zelda...not Shiek Zelda and he was quite good, I was kirby. He had me up to like 100% and I had barely touched him, I was thinking "F*** im already out" I pumped some damage in before I died...then he turns into Shike after I die...of course. and we fight and im stupid and kill myself and then I knew it was over, well I came back agro'd his *** and got in 2 kills, so it was even....then to SUDDEN DEATH, were both shield dodging and I get in a good smash and he died....so round one over ...phew!

2nd Round I dont remember but I spanked my last 2 rounds, the final round I did the best. It was Ike vs. Me...Kirby. (And might I note when the initial tourney was set-up the gamestop manager sorta laughed when I picked Kirby, LOL.) I was thinking awww crap Ike....im dead, all u gotta do is jab the "A" button and thats 40% right there, but I danced around his lumbering slowness and did a lot of grabbing and throwdowns.....all in all I killed him like 4 times and he could catch up, it was a good game and I was totally in shock that I won.

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
Hmmm Round 2....I lost...it sucks...but I got to the final round (easy feat..no one stood a chance) I was facing Peach and I was Snake (Battlefield) I was up by two 1 minute in (2 minute match) with 150 dmg...He was chasing me trying to knock me out and I used the cypher to get above him (Top of screen) he used the umbrella and tapped me....I went out of the level and died...down to one kill down.... I came back strong and started pummeling him around the map...Smash ball comes up and I hit it 3 times...and he hits it once and gets it.....I being a fool rushed to knock it out of him before he landed and he hit me putting me asleep and doing 60 dmg....then a golf club to the face...I didnt die however but with the worst luck ever, he accidently hit one of the big bomb blast things( forgot name..) and I landed in it and it took me out....Time over...Sudden death....I became the hunter and attacked him every way I could he just wouldnt go out though... And with another bout of bad luck...he throws a shroom at me and just as he does that a bomb spawns infront of me....I die...

Sanity's Eclipse

Smash Rookie
Round 2: Random items, characters, and stages. Only 8 of the 16 people showed up. I got Ice climbers who I'm fairly experienced with. All the rounds were easy and I didn't get any stupid stages until the finals. The final match was Sample L: Maze... Yeah. So, I'm fighting against Samus and it was just dumb. He starts off on top spamming non charged B's not even using her sideB or anything, so I roll past those hit him a few times and he goes through the floor. I follow and continue to rack up damage. Around 120% he just starts running, I can't catch him since the stage has a circular path. So, it goes to Sudden Death, I drop through the floor immediately figuring it'll be easier then dodging through projectile spam. He stays on top and far enough from the openings that I can't just hit him without possibly getting hit, so I wait. And so does he. I have the nice stairway on the left to sit on to wait for the bomb-ombs meanwhile he's just sitting on the open top. They finally start falling off screen and the first one on screen nails him clean in the face.

Edit: Never mind they called me back and let me know it's on the 29th like I figured. Yay, for ******** Game Stop employees!

FrankBurns

Smash Rookie
LOL thats why they don't have items in real tournaments.
Well all tournaments shouldn't be no item tournaments. We all know that if we play with itmes, most of the time the person who gets the Dragoon, Golden Hammer, or other powerful items usually wins, but people shouldn't cry over losing because of an item. People take things too seriously. Or what people could do is turn off all the crazy items and leave things like Mr. Saturn and maybe Bumpers. I could understand that if there is a tournament that uses no items, that whoever would like to practice under those rules and conditions, but if there isn't anything anybody is going to in the future, then just a have a little more fun and put items on once and a while.

deaner92

Smash Rookie
Hey People, I've played ssb since it came out on 64 and I'd like to compete...but i dont know if im good....

Do these tournaments have ppl that can to intense easily or what...
I just want to know so i dont go to one and make myself look like a fool

Sanity's Eclipse

Smash Rookie
Hey People, I've played ssb since it came out on 64 and I'd like to compete...but i dont know if im good....

Do these tournaments have ppl that can to intense easily or what...
I just want to know so i dont go to one and make myself look like a fool
Not exactly the right place to ask this, but all I have to say is just go to a tournament. Whether you think you're good enough or not just go since the experience is really important. If you lose, don't get mad. Just use it to learn.

Device

Smash Cadet
I lost my second round too. First match too, me vs. Ike.... and with 5 mins on a final destination full of items (items must of been on high or something >.>) It was pretty much who got the best stuff.... and he did. ;/ He got all the good mushrooms, I got the bad ones, timer turned on me, he got the nice assist trophies, I get a goldeen >.>; I think I just had horrible luck that day. But it came down to him vs a Marth for the final round, and again it was just "who gets better items wins" match. Oh well, it was fun anyways, at least I got a COOL WRESTLER TROPHY LOLZ >.>;

Oh and the good thing out of it all... I got to go back to the GC controller ;D

mega tortuse

Smash Rookie
lol i lost in the first round

for 1 thing they guy told me like the day befoer i could use a gc controler then changed the rules on me

i had never touched a classic controler before that and i started out kicking hisi can then a random explosion killled me instantly and they he played chicken while hhe was at 120%
but i still got the game :p

the guy who won doest even play video games :laugh:

HiIH

Smash Lord
I lost mine simply because i told them I was playing as Link, and they gave me the mario controller.

It wasn't worth it to get upset over when I walked off the edge repeatedly, wondering if computers had been accidentally setup (as that had happened to two of my friends). The only thing that made me angry was the guy I was playing said, "Man, it was tough, but I did it!".

Jewbacabra

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I just got out of my gamestop round 3 tournament, where of which i was victorious.

I played Zelda.
Random Stages, 5 minutes, no items.

Round 1 -- Premade Stage: Bath. Vs. Pikachu
Round 2 -- Premade Stage: Maze (i think thats the name). Vs. Pit
Round 3 -- Brinstar Depths. Vs. Zelda

Howd your round 3 go?

Demised

Smash Ace
Round 3:

Battlefield only, No items, 5 minutes.

I won with:

5 ko's
2 death's
0 sd's.

Hope its good enough. What was the winners final score at your round 3 gamestops?

SiSiMeN

Smash Rookie
wow

Round 3, got beat out first round by the guy who won the whole thing. I ended up with Lucus. Random Chars, no items, Battlefield.
Last battle, He only got 2 kills but won in sudden death at the end.
I can't believe they made it random characters..... I'm almost glad I lost at round 2. Way to totally remove skill level, what if you end up with a crap character, and they end up with their main? freaking morons.

Anyways, that sudden death crap was absolutely ridiculous. Its basically like a luck of the draw, no skill, just whoever gets the first hit. I won the first match without taking ANY DAMAGE lol, then since we only had 5 ppl instead of 6 the guy I lost to made it straight to the semi-finals without having to fight someone, so I end up fighting him on Shadow Moses Island which I hadn't practiced at all because I didn't think the stages were random (battlefield or final destination). And he started winning, so I kicked it into high gear, started whopping *** and what do you know....Match over, sudden death. I hit him first, he flies into one of the walls, and doesn't fly off..... then he hits me and I go straight up. I have never felt worse in my LIFE.

But after seeing what they did with this, (the most unorganized, inefficient, sorry excuse for a tournament solely made to promote their sales of the game) and after seeing how each individual store made up their own "rules" I didn't miss much. Plus I wouldn't want to make it to the finals only to lose and pay money from my pocket to fly back.

Anyways, to those of you who didn't make it, I sympathize, especially if you were as passionate about it as I was (because I have never even been in a tournament before, let alone for a game I think I could actually WIN at).

P.S. You shouldhave pk thundered his bit** a**

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
good luck, demised. im guessing you play k1rby. i won my round 3 gamestop tourney with an overall 4.
6 ko's and 2 deaths. people who won their 3rd round tourney should post their scores here. it seems gamestop is lacking bc the winners were supposed to find out on the 31st according to the website.

winners post your scores!. :]

ps. if there is a better thread for this dumb tournament please post it on here. i searched but this is all i could find. thx. , LeeMartin.

Demised

Smash Ace
good luck, demised. im guessing you play k1rby. i won my round 3 gamestop tourney with an overall 4.
6 ko's and 2 deaths. people who won their 3rd round tourney should post their scores here. it seems gamestop is lacking bc the winners were supposed to find out on the 31st according to the website.

winners post your scores!. :]

ps. if there is a better thread for this dumb tournament please post it on here. i searched but this is all i could find. thx. , LeeMartin.
Yah i got called =)

The Green Marth

Smash Cadet
To all you ranters

I hear you guys talking about how items are cheap and 1 minute tournie matches are cheap.

well

1. i think that items are just part of the game, they have thier ups and downs but they are fun to use and do help you most of the time

2.I have some suggestions for those 1 minute matches.

The first one is if you cant comeback in one minute, then at the start of the match just wait it out and run. then you will go into sudden death, and since you guys are "pro" smashers, you should be able to handle a sudden death anytime, with any opponent.

The secound option is to play a hit and run match to avoid getting damage. Let the opponent's damage accumulate when you hit and run, then when there is 10-30 secounds left in the match, use a smash attack, final smash, powerful item, ect. then the opponent cannot comeback, therefore you will automatically win the match.

You may think this kind of gaming is cheap and requires no skill. I agree with you. However, cheap 1 minute matches require cheap tactics.

SO STOP COMPLAINING AND FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE YOU LOOSERS
jk about the loosers part, but just follow my tactics and ur sure to win alright guys?

Top Bottom