• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wings of Change: Pit Minus GD; Added video to OP! and a bit on MUs

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Pit

Video of Pit's major changes in Brawl Minus

Changelist
Code:
Pit

Wings of Icarus = upB
Angel Ring = sideB
Mirror Shield = downB
FSM = Frame Speed Modifier

Major changes

Can do WoI again after being hit
SideB can be cancelled with shield, which can lead to a shield grab
Arrows have tighter control
Side arrows are a bit slower but allows for extreme arrow shenanigans
Up arrows are very slow and are very good for breaking combos

Misc

Heavy Landing has wind that pushes away

Attributes

Nair Landing Lag 30 -> 12
Fair Landing Lag 15 -> 10
Bair Landing Lag 15 -> 13
Uair Landing Lag 30 -> 15
Dair Landing Lag 30 -> 20

Gliding

Glide Start Asynch Timer 5 -> 2.5
Glide Attack dmg 12 -> 15

Neutral Attacks

Jab dmg 3 -> 4
Jab3 Sends opponent backwards, sets up for combo
Rapid Jab OC 2, dmg 1 -> 2
Dash Attack dmg 9 -> A/C -> D/B -> C/B -> C, hitbox 1 dir 50 -> A

Tilts

Ftilt 2x faster until hitboxes are out, dir 169 -> 14
Utilt first hitbox loops 3 times, second hitboxes dmg 6 -> 4, third hatboxes dmg 7 -> 8
Dtilt dir 50 -> 118

Smashes

Fsmash FSM 1.24, Frame 4 FSM 1
Usmash dmg 3 -> 6, dmg 2 -> 7, Second hitboxes, size 5 -> 6.2/5 -> 6.2, Third hitboxes size 4 -> 5/5 -> 6/5 -> 6
Dsmash Hitbox 3 dmg C -> B, second hitboxes dmg A -> B/A -> B/9 -> A/8 -> 9, dir 4B -> 2D/4B -> 10e

Aerials

Nair dmg 1 -> 2, SDIMultiplier 1.4 -> 0.9
Fair dmg E -> D/F -> E, dir 169 -> 14
Bair second hit dmg 7 -> 8
Uair first hit SDIMultiplier 1.3 -> 1.1
Dair Hitbox 1 dmg C -> D, dir 50 -> 118, size 6 -> 6.5
Uair Landing Asynch 2, OC dmg 2

Grabs

Grab size 4 -> 5, X offset 9 -> 13
Running grab size 4, x offset 9 -> 12
Pummel every 15 frames -> 8 frames

Throws

BThrow dir 2D -> 14
FThrow Throw collisions KBG 96 -> 78, dmg 4 -> 8, SOC dmg 6 -> 4
UThrow dir 5A -> 5F, KBG 48 -> 64
DThrow dmg 2 -> 6

Specials

Arrow dir 3C -> 169, control radius 20 -> 4, Side arrow speed 8 -> 6, Up arrow speed 8 -> 1
Angel Ring start has small suction and 0.5 horizontal momentum
Angel Ring Hold has iasa for shield, ShldDmg 0 -> F/5 -> 28, dir 19 -> 16D/46 -> 16D/19 -> 16D/12C -> F, KBG 3E -> 0/28 -> 0/64 -> 0, BKB 0 -> 32/0 -> 32, Hitlag Multiplier 1 -> 0.7, SDIMultiplier 1.5 -> 0.9/1.5 -> 0.8
Angel Ring End ShldDmg 0 -> 32, BKB F -> 0
tl;dr it's pretty cool :P

Grounded Wings of Icarus FSM 1.5, dmg 7, dir 5A, KBG 3E, BKB 64, size 7.5, Trip Rate 25% (this doesn't seem to work at all), Hitlag Multiplier 1.5, SDIMultiplier 1, Wind BKB 0 -> 1E, size 23 -> 34, Trip Rate 50%
Aerial Wings of Icarus same as grounded but sweetspot dmg is 5
Mirror Shield has super armor as soon as animation starts and reflects attacks and projectiles at all times

Arrows

Control radius 4 -> 20
Side arrow speed 8 -> 6
Up arrow speed 8 -> 1

The increased control of the arrows allows for you to start or end combos. The side arrow speed has been slightly slowed to allow for extreme control and looping of the arrows. The up arrow is great to interrupt combos that someone is pulling on you.

Angel Ring

Pit's Angel Ring can actually start combos now instead of just being a spammy move. :V With the addition of the ability to cancel Angel Ring with shield, you can either absorb a hit or do a shield grab to start a combo. For a few combos check the combo section.

Wings of Icarus

Pit's wings have been given a sweetspot at its center and its gimping power has been greatly increased. One of the sweetspot's uses is to knock the opponent into the edge of the stage as you are recovering.

Mirror Shield

The Mirror Shield has super armor as soon as the bringing the shield out animation starts. One thing that can be quite dangerous and fun is absorbing a warlock punch with Mirror Shield's super armor. It also reflects all projectiles and attacks as long as the shield is held out.

Killing percentages

Tested on Captain Falcon using no di from the center of Final Destination.

Usmash(uncharged) - 145%
Usmash(fully charged) - 102%
Fsmash(uncharged) - 107%
Fsmash(fully charged) - 70%
Dsmash(uncharged first hit) - 133%
Dsmash(uncharged second hit) - 182%
Dsmash(fully charged first hit) - 93%
Dsmash(fully charged second hit) - 134%
Dash attack(center) - 142%
Dash attack(tip) - 158%
Utilt - 219%
Ftilt - 142%
Dtilt - 340%
Uthrow - 151%
Fthrow - 166%
Bthrow - 236%
Dthrow - 430%
Fair - 161%
Bair - 275%
Bair(sourspot) - 102%
Dair(on grounded person) - 207%
Glair - 114%
Arrow(uncharged) - 470%
Arrow(fully charged) - 156%
WoI(upB) sweetspot(grounded) - 212%
WoI(upB) sweetspot(aerial) - 280%

Combos/Combo starters

jab -> jab2 -> jab3 -> SH -> bair/nair/uair
dtilt -> nair/fair
utilt -> uair/dair
Angel Ring -> shield cancel grab -> anything

Match-Ups
Meta Knight is a big counter for Pit. His aerials and maneuverability somewhat top those of Pit. Pit can easily counter MK if you reflect his attacks often. Don't become too predictable though. Fsmash, ftilt, nair, uair, and fair are the big moves to pull out against MK in order to win.

I know, I suck at descriptions. ;_; I'm good at making lists, though. :V

Luxor

Smash Champion
Shoot arrow--> follow arrow--> grab-->bair-->repeat, maybe with a few extra arrows thrown in.

No one posts in the character- threads at all. :mad:

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
Well at least not this character thread (Sorry st, but no one plays Pit XD)

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Shoot arrow--> follow arrow--> grab-->bair-->repeat, maybe with a few extra arrows thrown in.

No one posts in the character- threads at all. :mad:
Thanks for the combo. :)

I've found one thing about Pit is that if you run and then crouch cancel, he slides A LOT. It works very well for a sliding dtilt.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I get what you're saying, BPC. The reason that there isn't really anything showing you how to play pit is because I'm just terrible at describing things. I'm really good at writing out technical details. :< I'll see what I can do, though. I'm thinking of making a Pit- combo/highlight video. Would that show you how to use him?

ss118

Smash Master
OK I have to say that you have done amazingly with Pit. I've playtested him a little with friends, so I have some ideas.

First off, ALWAYS have an up arrow going at all times. Generally you'll find your control stick pointed more towards your opponent than away, so having one, two, or three(haven't seen if there is a limit) out at once couldn't hurt.

Side-B is now an AMAZING approach, and if you can do it combined with a looped arrow(the regular side ones are best), your opponent literally can't do anything about it. Plus it makes Pit the perfect anti-spammy projectile character now: which is very ironic, considering he is one.

All of Pits aerials are amazing as well: with his above average mobility, he can weave decently well with his disjointed hitboxes and multiple jumps, not to mention trying to shieldgrab his nair is suicide. Pit can actually Ken combo, which is a huge plus. Bair is an awesome kill move, so that works as well.

So for people trying to pick up pit, do the following:

1) Use Up arrow whenever given a chance.
2) Side-B approach->grab, but try to avoid becoming predictable: Ike CAN f-smash you out of it! It also doesn't work against Bowser that well either.
3) Get used to looping with Pits normal arrows: amazingly helpful, because those combined with your normal approach(side-B or just SHFF-ing aerials) makes it very hard for ANYONE to just waltz through and start a combo on you.

PS: what is this "heavy landing"?

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
I love Pit's design in this so much. I'm going to try to get some human experience asap and see what really can work.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I will be starting on a Pit- highlight video as soon as I can. I will also update the OP as soon as I can. If you have any great Pit- highlights that you would like in the video, please pm me the replay .bin file.

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Added video showing pit's major changes in Brawl- and added a bit of info on who I consider to be one of Pit's harder match-ups.
Another major change is the 2nd hit of his dsmash actually having strong knockback like the first. As well as his jab combo pulling in. The rest IIRC are mostly knockback/damage changes.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
His dash attack also has a sweetspot that semispikes. I only included the arrows, Angel Ring, and Wings of Icarus in the video because those are the most noticeable differences from vBrawl Pit to Brawl Minus Pit. If you want me to, I can make a video showing all the noticeable differences. Such as, jab3 hitting upward, dtilt spiking, etc.

NNID
Budget_Player
Meta Knight is a big counter for Pit. His aerials and maneuverability somewhat top those of Pit. Pit can easily counter MK if you reflect his attacks often. Don't become too predictable though. Fsmash, ftilt, nair, uair, and fair are the big moves to pull out against MK in order to win.
:psycho:

MK does wreck pit. However, mirror shield is a very, very bad idea in this matchup. MK does not have a single move that is so slow that he won't recover before you do (except maybe nado, which gets away, and SL, which also will run right the hell away from you if you reflect it.

Also, your moves to pull out seem very iffy. Ftilt? MK's is like 2 times faster, has TP, and a longer range (and let's not forget dtilt, another frame 3 move that is huge and sets up for ****). Nair? If you're getting that close to him, you're in trouble.

MK defeats you very handily in the air and on the ground (like, EASILY, just by looking at the frame data and range). Only a few moves with pit are actually any good against MK at close range. There's jab, which is very fast and sets up for combos (very important-MK will die quite early if you can combo him, he's a super lightweight with a crappy shield. You, however, have ****ty kill moves...). Angel ring, if you play campy enough with it, seems like it could work. Just angel ring at him, and try to react. If he uses ftilt/dtilt, try to PS->shieldgrab it. If he tries much else, he'll get whacked, or reset the situation.

Your sole trump in this matchup is really your arrows. You can't gimp him (trust me. Don't even bother trying), you can't beat him at close or mid range in the air or on the ground (in fact, he destroys you there). So what do you have left? Arrow spam. You spam the living **** out of him. What else can pit do when he gets outranged, outraced, outcombo'd, outpowered (MK has 2 throws that start killing in the early 90s, his dsmash, a sped-up fsmash, incredible gimping power, Shuttle Loop, Glide Attack, and is able to combo into the first two; you have... fsmash, bair, and usmash, which are all gonna be really hard to land on a good MK) and outprioritized in melee combat? Not much. Still, the matchup is ridiculously bad for you guys; I'd recommend picking up Charizard or someone else who is great against MK to deal with it.

ss118

Smash Master
In my opinion, these threads fail compared to the Brawl+ threads because usually no one discusses anything: however, Budget gave us a good place to start with discussion on Pit! Lengthy posts aren't required, of course, but they should have some substance. Quick 1-liners is a very good way to get a thread either closed, derailed, or dead. Just look at the pokecenter...

Anyway, about the Pit vs MK matchup, I want to agree with everything that Budget said, but I want to actually go a bit farther and say that MK wins over Pit when it comes to 'A' moves in terms of speed and range(power doesn't matter if you don't get hit). MK also has a better grab game than Pit: so what can Pit do back?

Like the above poster mentioned, Pit has Arrows. In fact, he has two different arrows. As I mentioned before it is best to have one slow arrow at all times: this is especially useful vs MK, as you can direct it into the top of a tornado and knock him out of it. Learning how to edgeguard with multiple slow arrows is also helpful as it limits MK's multiple recovery options. Side-b was mentioned by you also, but I want to reiterate how useful it is to loop arrows(normal) with it so to force them to either get hit by the arrow and then the side b -> grab or they block the arrow and then you grab. Requires practice, but I promise it will make the matchup 10x easier once you get it.

There is one move MK has that runs through both of these: his own spinning concoction, the Nado! It does have a weakness at the top, so have a slow arrow going above you in case he catches you. Another way to punish him doing this is to angle your shield and if he trys to reset the situation then chase with a side b -> grab. You can also force a reset with a down B, or you can force them away with it and attempt to chase. Otherwise down b is useless vs MK.

Finally, your up B. Spam it to get out of combos if you find yourself getting caught(or SDI, since you can do it INSANELY vs MK's aerials). Use it to force MK away and mess up his spacing, and if he gets too close combo with the hitbox. Up out of shield might work, but I haven't tried that extensively.

Hope this helped!

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
All right, I admit it, I wrote what I said about the moves to use based on their data. :/ I'll be doing a bit more playtesting against MK today and will rewrite what the suggested things to use are. Sorry for any trouble. :(

BumbleBomb

Smash Apprentice
Ok I see a great potential in pit. What are his major flaws? I really can't find any that would cause him to be so far down on the tier list. Why dont many people like to play him? I sure would like to know because I'm starting out at brawl and so far I'm 100 % planning on maiming him.

Top Bottom