• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wing Breaking- A New Way To DI

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Okay so i've been doing some research old school this morning. Im talking like studying everything about WOI in the ultimate guide, frames, and momentum properties. While i can't test this without a wii, im certain this will work as the data supports it.

So on to the point. According to section in the UG labled WOI FACTS by kupo15, WOI stops all vertical momentum and it even pushes you down a bit which is why if done too low you die. Also, according to how the actual move itself seems to work, once you use it you have full control over the direction that pit moves in. Lastly, according to the other WOI articles, when you use a move out of WOI, it gives you a boost in the direction you use the move.

So my conclusion is, that when we get hit knocked offstage by a kill move, using like bair>bufferd WOI should allow us to live much longer than normal kind of to the same effect as bucket braking or DK's up b braking. So if we were hit by a vertical kill move, we could essentially DI sideways with bair> Wing Brake> Divebomb and thus survive when we would normally die.

When it comes to horizantal kill moves, while the guide does not mention anywhere that WOI stops horizantal momentum, if it does, we could essentially DI up and use bair> Wing Brake> Double Tap boost WOI towards the stage. And if that doesn't really work, we could theoretically DI up> Wing Brake> fair towards the stage and get the move boost and thus live longer.

The only disadvantage to this is that it leaves us without jumps but if you DI'd properly then you could still make it back to the stage or the edge just by floating. If this really works the way im thinking it does that means 2 things:

1- pit would be living longer in combat which would make him harder to kill which would then make the one thing a lot of characters have on us go away to a degree.

2- this will AT discovery#2.5 for me as up b braking is an old concept but it's new to pit guys so get@me! lol

anyways if you guys could test this out and let me know how it goes for ya i would love to know if this is as effective as i think it is. and if it is and if people find ways to improve on it i will add it into the OP.

all right team, MOVE OUT!

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I've always thought a little about this and I would try it at times and die. The thing is that was only horizontally. Like you said, woi pushes you down a little when you use it. The point of DI is to increase your angle of trajectory so you fly closer to the corner. If you try wing braking horizontally then you would decrease the angle at which you were blasted and essentially be in a worse position on top of worsening your DI, killing you faster. This would be interesting to test when getting blasted vertically though, I might try it today or Wednesday.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
well in theory it would work for horizontal di because WOI increases momentum making u die earlier, but i cant test it either cause i let a friend barrow my wii

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
in theory fox's side b should make him live longer because of the momentum he gets from it. but he dies earlier because sakurai made it so that you get a huge boost of momentum up and out when using a momentum altering special out of flying toward to death barrier.

I wouldn't be surprised if you actually died earlier using WOI trying to stop

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
well that's why this is a theory. im not too hopeful that it will work for horizantal DI but since it always pushes pit downwards i am inclined to think it will work for vertical DI. i mean if every move was like phantasm then things like DK's roflcopter and G&W's bucket wouldn't help them in the least, but they do.

also, whereas fox's phantasm only gives him the ability to move in one direction, WOI gives you complete control over it's trajectory so that is another reason why i am inclined to think this will work at least for vertical DI.

hence there lies possibility. anyways that's wat testing is for and with luckay and koolaid testing this im sure to get accurate results, whether they are favorable or not is the only thing left to see.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
in theory fox's side b should make him live longer because of the momentum he gets from it. but he dies earlier because sakurai made it so that you get a huge boost of momentum up and out when using a momentum altering special out of flying toward to death barrier.

I wouldn't be surprised if you actually died earlier using WOI trying to stop
Correct.

I've tried this in the past and fairly recently in training. Using Bair -> WOI to try and stop moment doesn't work like you want it to Maharba. It shunts you up higher as if you jumped instead of further canceled your momentum. It's not gonna work like that if at all. :urg:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
so has any1 tested this for VERTICAL (like a snake utilt) yet? *looks at luckay, then at kuro, now over to lenus, back at luckay, sees koolaid in periferal vision, looks at xcallion, now back over to kuro, then at luckay*

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
so has any1 tested this for VERTICAL (like a snake utilt) yet? *looks at luckay, then at kuro, now over to lenus, back at luckay, sees koolaid in periferal vision, looks at xcallion, now back over to kuro, then at luckay*
Vertical is worse. When you use WOI in an attempt to momentum cancel you shoot straight up about a jump height. It makes you die earlier vertically and doesn't aid horizontally. It's the same for most moves that changes a characters momentum.

This vid is old, but explains what I'm talking about. Its a great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg&playnext=1&list=PL920BDF0D40FE2334

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Maharba said:
*looks at luckay, then at kuro, now over to lenus, back at luckay, sees koolaid in periferal vision, looks at xcallion, now back over to kuro, then at luckay*
I lol'ed x)

Xcallion said:
G&W says hi, luckay.
He still needs to do an aerial (nair) before using the bucket, though.

@thread
yeah, it seemed too good to be true :/

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
K Guys. Just repeating I did that a month ago. Saw it didn't work/made things worse as demoed in video. Good luck to any new finds along the way though.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
it would appear not... oh well. kinda lame how that turned out. but i believe ya lenus. **** as soon as i get my console situation figured out im gonna be doin so much more stuff around here. and ill be getting better rapidly and ill be able to wifi you guys finally. and ill be able to test my own ideas

Abel1994

Smash Lord
I ment when you get hit by maybe snakes Utilt. And your goin straight up can you Bair+ WoI to save yourself since its a recovery and you can go as high as you want.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
..... so you are saying use WOI as you are going up, and then intead of trying to go down with WOI, go up so that we get the whole height of a recovery thing? well i guess it might be possible. idk as like i said im still workin on my console jons.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
NO U!

Alright well I havnt used pit in a while ( TO BUSY PLAYING MY ILLEGAL GAMES) SO I guess I need to practice more so I can be the koolabel

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Sorry Mystic, but this doesn't work.

Peach boards tried using the parasol as a method of momentum cancelling. All it will do (as well as Wings of Icarus) is move you higher up and probably kill you earlier.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice

Peach boards tried using the parasol as a method of momentum cancelling. All it will do (as well as Wings of Icarus) is move you higher up and probably kill you earlier.
It seems pretty equal, thus you don't have the boost from getting out and does not have the moving controll of it. [Not trolling here, please].
You have to be really smart to know when to use normal DI wich is better than this one. The line that separates them is too close. I mean... if

Pit x Fox.

Fox USmashes Pit.

Pit is at 110% -> Try to new-DI.
Pit is at 90% -> Try to normal-DI.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Good try, Maharba :(. I tried the WoI momentum cancelling and it doesn't work, like Illmatic said. It would've been neat had the trick worked.... Don't forget you can move really fast with WoI if your fast falling while trying to come back to the stage.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace

Good try, Maharba :(. I tried the WoI momentum cancelling and it doesn't work, like Illmatic said. It would've been neat had the trick worked.... Don't forget you can move really fast with WoI if your fast falling while trying to come back to the stage.
Yup like I said. I had the same thought as Maharba a month ago and broke it down.

Top Bottom