• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Windows 7 beta

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
Anybody try it yet? I was thinking of getting a mac but if it's actually any good, I might settle for a PC.

Lazlo Falconi

Smash Cadet
I didn't know it was out for beta yet. I want to but I don't have a spare computer at the moment to test it out on. If I had the patience to install a beta on my main machine I might.

Axel.EmO

Smash Cadet
Download it off the microsoft website
IT WILL EXPIRE IN 30 DAYS AFTER INSTALLMENT
Do not use it as your DEFAULT OS!!
Once it expires you will have no OS...
Wait for the final version to come out...
It is like vista tbh
Not worth downloading if you already own vista...
If you are gonna download it my advise would be
BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA!!

Frames

DI
uh its only for 30 days if you dont grab a key microsoft gave out 2.5M licenses

also after 30 days u can just extend to 120 using the slmgr -rearm command

i love windows 7 definitely shaping up to be the best windows yet better than xp even *gasp

just dual-boot it works fine no muss no fuss

Axel.EmO

Smash Cadet
uh its only for 30 days if you dont grab a key microsoft gave out 2.5M licenses

also after 30 days u can just extend to 120 using the slmgr -rearm command

i love windows 7 definitely shaping up to be the best windows yet better than xp even *gasp

just dual-boot it works fine no muss no fuss
I thought about duel booting
but I don't want any hassle on my PC as it is dying
I think I'll wait for the final ver ;)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
*waits for the next Ubuntu release*

Windows? What's that? :p

I might try 7 on my other computer in the near future. I'm not looking forward to the massive download. :(

Lazlo Falconi

Smash Cadet
I heard the download was under three gigs... Anyway if you bought Vista now is not the time to switch to Linux. Yeah, you got screwed, but using Linux won't change that. Either you should have been using it longer, or you should just stick with Windows unless you're trying to learn more. Linux won't change the fact that you bought Vista.

Frames

DI
if people wanna use linux no reason they shouldn't

yes microsoft developed this os fast but its not out yet and they're not gonna drop support for vista anytime soon especially with sp2 on the way

its like 2.4 gigs, not a big download by any means unless you're rockin dial-up in which case :(

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I heard the download was under three gigs... Anyway if you bought Vista now is not the time to switch to Linux. Yeah, you got screwed, but using Linux won't change that. Either you should have been using it longer, or you should just stick with Windows unless you're trying to learn more. Linux won't change the fact that you bought Vista.
Actually, I still use xp. Trust me, I knew vista was doomed to fail from the beginning.

I just want to check out linux.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm considering making another partition and booting Seven off of it. The only major reason I'd do it is so that I can say that I've got a quad-boot computer, lol!

I'm surprised nobody posted this yet:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I just installed W7 on my laptop a couple of days ago, it's pretty nice. Though some of the bugs in the beta are quite annoying. I've had some windows freeze having to fix them by minimizing and maximizing them, my sound card won't work in it, and some other things here and there. but its too nice

Napilopez

Smash Lord
This is kinda necro, but would just lke to share my thoughts on the beta, and I've been running windows seven ever since the preta beta build 6801.

Its awesome. Its quicker than vista and even XP(check benchmarks if you don't believe me), feels snapy, is prettier. I'm running it on a poopy PC and its still lightning quick. HAve yet to see my first BSOD, and I do alot of messing around with my hardware and software. My computer hasn't overheated and shut off single time, whereas my Vista and Ubuntu install would do so all the time under heavy activity. I get about 20-30 minutes more battery life than Vista or Ubuntu. Ubuntu had been my primary OS until the seven beta, I love it.

Note: If you have a 64bit processor, which pretty much all PCs have nowadays except for netbooks, then I would recommend you install the 64bit version of the OS. Most 32 bit apps will run more quickly on it, and most hardware has 64 bit drivers for it now, although not all(my palm centro doesn't for example). If you have more than 3 gigs of ram, any amount after 3 gigs becomes virtually useless because the 32 bit architecture cannot make use of more than 3 GB of ram.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Can someone take a screen shot of what the desktop in Windows 7 beta looks like? Default if you don't mind though...

I guess I could try searching for an image.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Ubuntu is still better. ^_^

I'm glad Microsoft is giving some heed to performance; I'm still annoyed at how they essentially agreed to drive requirements through the roof to ensure increased sales at Intel.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Ubuntu is still better. ^_^
I would have said so a couple of months ago, but I don't think so anymore :p. My problem with Linux has always been a simple one. Its powerful and full of awesomeness, but it just isn't intuitive and polished enough IMO to be an OS for the casual user. For power users like me its great, but I really don't think casuals would like the idea of having to go to termina, typing sudo apt get bla bla. Ubuntu of course alleviates many of the issues, but still, when it comes to troubleshooting and whatnot, I don't think casual users should have to see error dialog boxes with computer lingo they don't understand. And it just lacks a certain polish by default, default themes look outdated. IDK. I love linux, and really wish it can spread itself to more people, but its missing something.

I'm glad Microsoft is giving some heed to performance; I'm still annoyed at how they essentially agreed to drive requirements through the roof to ensure increased sales at Intel.
They tell you "requirements", but they aren't nearly as bad as they seem. Seven runs as well as XP on netbooks with 1.6 ghz atom CPUs and 512 MB of ram =P

I don't have a pic of the default look, but here are some recent screengrabs of mine:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4016/43149029oi9.png
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1747/98704984id9.png

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
What are the advantages to this os over Vista SP.1, because to be honest, Vista Sp.1 is very good/stable.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I would have said so a couple of months ago, but I don't think so anymore :p. My problem with Linux has always been a simple one. Its powerful and full of awesomeness, but it just isn't intuitive and polished enough IMO to be an OS for the casual user. For power users like me its great, but I really don't think casuals would like the idea of having to go to termina, typing sudo apt get bla bla. Ubuntu of course alleviates many of the issues, but still, when it comes to troubleshooting and whatnot, I don't think casual users should have to see error dialog boxes with computer lingo they don't understand. And it just lacks a certain polish by default, default themes look outdated. IDK. I love linux, and really wish it can spread itself to more people, but its missing something.
... What does Windows 7 add, again? It's just a shinier Vista. Also, I used to agree with you about tech support issues regarding casual users, but the more I think about, the more I realize that everyone comes to me for help anyway, regardless of operating system. Windows has its own silly complexities. The control panel is a scary scary place for most users.

I almost never use the terminal. Ubuntu has abstracted most of the necessary processes. However, when it comes to needing help, I actually find Linux to be much more straightforward than Windows. Windows involves: "Go here. Click this. Open this. Right click here. Select this. ..." Whenever someone helps me in Linux, they say, "Here. Paste this into terminal." Everything takes care of itself right away.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
... What does Windows 7 add, again? It's just a shinier Vista. Also, I used to agree with you about tech support issues regarding casual users, but the more I think about, the more I realize that everyone comes to me for help anyway, regardless of operating system. Windows has its own silly complexities. The control panel is a scary scary place for most users.
Its indeed shinier, but think of it as vista on super steroids that have virtually no negative side effects. Its kinda how Windows XP was really windows 2000, just prettified, except I think its more significant in this case. There are tons of small changes that make it overall a much simpler experience. If you want me to get into it...

New Taskbar: Window management is great with this. I personally am not a fan of keyboard shortcuts, maybe photo editing and playing FPSs for so long makes me more inclined to just click alot. The new thumbnail preview system, with the addition of aero peek and desktop preview make it awesome. Some old experienced PC users mighjt not like the switch to the new style, but that doesn't matter since you can make it virtually identical functonwise to the old taskbar, yet still more powerful, so that doesn't really matter. Jumplists can be super useful.

Device Stage: although there is limited support so far, its great having all the functions for a particular device in a single place, rather than having to search variety of apps for different functions.

Problem Steps Recorder: One of my favorite things in any OS ever, because I tend to help people with PC problems so often. Basically, this small program lets you record all the actions you do on your computer, then complies them with screengrabs into an HTML file. Great for seeing what steps a user performed to cause a problem, or to create a quick and easy visual tutorial.

Iso Burner: Nothing special, but its nice having an iso burner by default.

Paint and Word upgrades: again, nothing serious, but both of these apps are much more robust now.

Desktop Slideshow: Seriously, why didn't they think of this before? Rather than being a huge resource hog like Dreamscene was in Ultimate, this is a simple addition that helps indecisive people like me so much. Rather than switching my wallpaper three times a day, I can just make it a slideshow without slowing down my PC, awesome.

Performance improvements: Needless to say. Even in Beta form, its incredibly stable, and way quicker than vista. It outdoes both Vista and XP in real world tasks. I can't really compare it to Ubuntu, because they run different apps, but it feels at leasstttt as quick as Ubuntu overall for me.

Battery Life: At least 11% battery life improvements on virtually every system over vista. I get more battery life on this than I do on ubuntu a well, which is a huge plus with my lappy's pessimal battery life.

More Window management: Aero snap is hugely convenient for someone like me who likes to read documents side by side, and it looks pretty too. Just drag to the sides and the window resizes to take up half the screen. Drag away to return to normal. Drag to the top to maximize, drag off to restore. Drag the edges to the bottom or top to fill the vertical portion of the screen.

Gadgets: This has long been in ubuntu, but gadgets are now by default on the desktop, and it just works much better this way. Aero peek makes it easier to check them out though.

Automatic Windows Recovery: You know how its annoying having to get your windows installation CD just to run commands like fixmbr or whatevs. What if you lost your CD? Windows 7 installs a small recovery partition that automatically fixes startup problems, or lets you do your own repairs without need for a CD.

Homegroups: Networking has never been easier. Srsly. Networking and connectivity overall is just much better.

UAC is not annoying and more easily configurable, there is better organizing of notification icons, media center and media player are awesome now, bla bla bla. I could keep on going forever. 7 is what Vista should have been, simple as that.

Ubuntu is stll my Second favorite OS(7>Ubuntu>=Leopard>Vista for me), but with the exception of Compiz(and not even that completely), there is little compelling me to use it over Windows 7 right now. I suppose its a matter of app support, and I know this is a result of Microsoft dominance and stuff, but there are plenty of amazing free apps for windows as well.

I almost never use the terminal. Ubuntu has abstracted most of the necessary processes. However, when it comes to needing help, I actually find Linux to be much more straightforward than Windows. Windows involves: "Go here. Click this. Open this. Right click here. Select this. ..." Whenever someone helps me in Linux, they say, "Here. Paste this into terminal." Everything takes care of itself right away.
Hmm, thats very true, and I think I may reassess that. Although inputting something into the terminal might seem scarier at first, its much more efficient and quick than performing a bazillion clicks throughout windows to solve something. Still, I feel its easier for me in windows if I want to fix a problem for myself rather than trying to google it.

Right now, 7 is overall the smoother, prettier, and more pleasant experience for me. When I try ubuntu again, theres alot of features I miss more than when going back from Ubuntu to 7. But again, I'm not bashing Ubuntu, I think its great, I just think right now 7 is the more polished OS. I do expect Ubuntu to catchup or perhaps surpass it though in newer releases.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
When Linux distros sucked more at detecting/working with hardware, it was still an enormous pain to find the right commands/drivers/packages/scripts/configuration files/etc. you needed to install/run/compile/edit/etc. I do find it funny that you avoid the terminal, though, since I almost always have a terminal window open on my Mac.

Windows 7 is faster than Vista. My exposure to Vista is pretty limited, but the 7 beta I installed is so much smoother and sucks so much less. I also got to experiment a bit with multitouch paint, which was a fun novelty, but otherwise the limited multitouch functionality I got to test didn't feel too smooth. But we're talking things like pinching to resize text in IE--the multitouch demos they've shown off (but, as far as I can tell, have not included in the beta) do look very cool.

PS: Windows is easier to support for a simple reason. You can give those instructions over the phone. If someone's a technophobe, they're not going to email or IM you for help--they're going to call you. And good luck reading off a long terminal command to them over the phone. The control panel may be cumbersome to navigate (and hell if I can remember where any of the options are, since they keep getting renamed and reshuffled) but it's easier to guide someone through it over the phone.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
When Linux distros sucked more at detecting/working with hardware, it was still an enormous pain to find the right commands/drivers/packages/scripts/configuration files/etc. you needed to install/run/compile/edit/etc. I do find it funny that you avoid the terminal, though, since I almost always have a terminal window open on my Mac.

Windows 7 is faster than Vista. My exposure to Vista is pretty limited, but the 7 beta I installed is so much smoother and sucks so much less. I also got to experiment a bit with multitouch paint, which was a fun novelty, but otherwise the limited multitouch functionality I got to test didn't feel too smooth. But we're talking things like pinching to resize text in IE--the multitouch demos they've shown off (but, as far as I can tell, have not included in the beta) do look very cool.

PS: Windows is easier to support for a simple reason. You can give those instructions over the phone. If someone's a technophobe, they're not going to email or IM you for help--they're going to call you. And good luck reading off a long terminal command to them over the phone. The control panel may be cumbersome to navigate (and hell if I can remember where any of the options are, since they keep getting renamed and reshuffled) but it's easier to guide someone through it over the phone.
Hehe, yea I'm not big on terminal... yet I do open command prompt pretty often... which isn't as powerful as terminal... Lolz I guess I'm just weird.

And yea, you have to keep in mind this is a beta. MS has already stated their are hidden features in the beta that have not been unlocked to public use, similar to how the new taskbar was not activated in the first windows 7 pre-beta.

I totally agree with the support thing for the casual user, thats a good point.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I guess it depends on what "mode" I'm in. When I am programming, I do have the terminal open for certain things. However, since 99% of the world does not program, I was referring to casual usage. I really don't have the terminal open for any of my normal Internet tasks or while doing homework. I don't "avoid" the terminal.

I do want to get my hands on 7. It sounds really cool, but I'm just not sold on it yet.

And forgive me for turning this into a Windows vs Linux debate. >_<

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I guess it depends on what "mode" I'm in. When I am programming, I do have the terminal open for certain things. However, since 99% of the world does not program, I was referring to casual usage. I really don't have the terminal open for any of my normal Internet tasks or while doing homework. I don't "avoid" the terminal.

I do want to get my hands on 7. It sounds really cool, but I'm just not sold on it yet.

And forgive me for turning this into a Windows vs Linux debate. >_<
Haha its cool, at least its an intelligent debate rather than a flamefest =P. As awesome as I think 7 is, I still <3 Linux too. Have some trouble getting drivers to work on this PC, but oh well.

Oh, 7 also gets points for coolest boot animation :p.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
I second that
I'm running Win7 on my crappy 5 year old comp, and it runs fine, except no sound, like Chibo :(

SativaJoe

Smash Rookie
I gave it a try on my Inspiron 1501, and while I very much liked the window management, Homegroups, and the nifty Aero features, I eventually went back to my tried and true Windows XP and Ubuntu dual boot. As much as everyone keeps harping on how fast it runs on older hardware, I didn't find that it was spectacularly snappier than Vista on my machine. Also, the whole Vista look is really ugly to me; I much prefer compiz and a couple good emerald themes.

Top Bottom