• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wind Waker Link Confirmed? Animal Crosser deconfirmed?

Drake3

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind seeing a windwaker inspired Ganondorf...
Noooo, he has to match the others. Smashboards is funny though. AC is out of the question, but that interview in no way confirms a WWLink. Definitions of the word "character" need to be read.

ExtremeBrawler

Smash Cadet
Noooo, he has to match the others. Smashboards is funny though. AC is out of the question, but that interview in no way confirms a WWLink. Definitions of the word "character" need to be read.
In which sense "out of questions"?!?In or out?!?:confused::chuckle:

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
it's not definite, but that's very interesting. I'm leanign more towards the side of WW link being in and that being some evidence though. You people just need to get over it, WW link is cool.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
Its better to read the questioned ask before looking at the answer

Iwata said:
So that’s why you try so hard. Although it’s simply a case of modeling the trophies, you have to design them in a way that fans will be happy with. This must take lots of effort.
then the answer

sakurai said:
Right. The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch. This time, however, we were able to borrow characters from various development teams, which was a big help. Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles.
he's obviouly talking about character's trophy model and any nintendo character can be a trophy. If anything should come out of this it's possibility of sakurai noticing WW Link as possible character.

goodbye AC'er, i was hoping you had some fight in ya

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think WWLink would be to redundant. why not just make a color change for the Twilight Link to be wind waker link. same move set, same dynamics, just looks different.

i think they should do that for Lucus too, just make a color change for to be Ness, same person. different looks. just like how Peach can be Daisy.

a color change for Fox could be wolf, or hell just add costumes. i think that would make alot of people happy, it avoids clones and people can still be there favorite character.

does anyone agree with me?
If you took WW Link and TP Link and stood them side by side, it would become immediately apparent that a mere color swap would not even begin to suffice for the transformation of one into the other. The size and shape of the body and the details on the clothing, in addition to the layout and composition of facial features, are wildly different between the two.

There's no way WW Link could be a clone of TP Link. In order for a clone to be made, the alternate character has to have similar or identical body proportions so that the animation skeleton approximately matches the character model's joints. WW Link has elongated arms and stubby legs, as well as a disproportionally large torso. It wouldn't work. They'd have to make all his animations from scratch, and since no reuse could occur, they wouldn't bother trying to painstakingly make him identical to TP Link.

It's a pretty rare occasion when two different characters are similar enough that a Peach-Daisy-like color swap is enough to make the alternate character recognizable.

Linkeatspie

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I was actually about to post about the WW Link thing...I think this is a decent confirmation of WW Link.

Too bad AC Crosser won't be in :(.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
You people are silly. Yes, the AC Human is "deconfirmed" as he even has a caption that say he wouldn't be able to have a moveset. BUT, WW Link comment IS IN REFERENCE TO TROPHIES, NOT CHARACTERS. He pulled the model for the WW Link directly TROPHY directly from the game, not the character.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
The thing I take out of this interview is that the Melee team spent a lot of time modeling 3D versions of characters for trophies. Anyone who's used a 3D modeling program before would know that it had to be a massive undertaking- especially with the level of quality found in the game.

This time, however, the team was able to borrow models from other dev teams, for use in Brawl. That means they spent less time creating trophies and (possibly) creating playable characters. Link, for example, is almost exactly the same as his TP counterpart, while Mario was produced exclusively by the Brawl team.

A lot of people are taking this conversation out of context, believing the word 'character' pertains exclusively to playable characters. The fact is, porting multiple characters from the Wind Waker (Tingle, Link) for trophy models in NO WAY confirms anything except the fact that there is a WW Link trophy. He may or may not be playable- but there is no way to know. So stop throwing around the word "CONFIRMED" until it's applicable.

schlepboogie

Smash Apprentice
Were not getting ac as a pc, who is a totally unique character. But were getting a ****ty drawn clone of another character. Right on sakurai..

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't it simply be fanservice to have them playable?
Didn't he JUST SAY it was hard to make them playable? Do you people just TRY to not listen?

And no, R.O.B. is not magically harder to make playable because Animal Crossing isn't, whoever said that that I'm too lazy to quote.

It's a bunch of quiet villagers versus a freaking robot. Which makes the cut?

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
Isn't it clear?
There will be only ONE Link.
Indeed, Samus is another Samus and yes, Sheik is another Zelda, but they TRANSFORM one in each other. WW Link whould have more chanches if Link whould morph into him, but thats impossible.
so link vs. young link is impossible too right, it was done before and it can be a done again.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Hmm, even though it looks bad.....sakurai is capable of telling lies or not telling the whole truth(half-truths)

But yeah it looks rather dismal for the animal crosser, but remember what happened last time when people took sakurais words as the truth? (up until now) I know it was a translation error but I'm not going to be too sure of anything until I see that final roster.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
It honestly sounds like Sakurai is talking about a WW Link trophy only.

He used the difference in graphics between TP, and WW to show that he has went to different development teams for trophy ideas. i don't see anything hinting at a possible character confirmation here =S

Zek

Smash Ace
You people are silly. Yes, the AC Human is "deconfirmed" as he even has a caption that say he wouldn't be able to have a moveset. BUT, WW Link comment IS IN REFERENCE TO TROPHIES, NOT CHARACTERS. He pulled the model for the WW Link directly TROPHY directly from the game, not the character.
Sure doesn't sound that way to me:

Right. The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch. This time, however, we were able to borrow characters from various development teams, which was a big help. Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles.
The topic of the conversation was trophies but he used actual characters as an example of borrowing game assets, slipping up in the process and mentioning an unconfirmed one.

The 35char roster is real guys, time to face reality...

Cake Suitcase

Smash Rookie
If you took WW Link and TP Link and stood them side by side, it would become immediately apparent that a mere color swap would not even begin to suffice for the transformation of one into the other. The size and shape of the body and the details on the clothing, in addition to the layout and composition of facial features, are wildly different between the two.

There's no way WW Link could be a clone of TP Link. In order for a clone to be made, the alternate character has to have similar or identical body proportions so that the animation skeleton approximately matches the character model's joints. WW Link has elongated arms and stubby legs, as well as a disproportionally large torso. It wouldn't work. They'd have to make all his animations from scratch, and since no reuse could occur, they wouldn't bother trying to painstakingly make him identical to TP Link.

It's a pretty rare occasion when two different characters are similar enough that a Peach-Daisy-like color swap is enough to make the alternate character recognizable.
I understand, but if your where to "change is looks as the same character" couldn't they just incorporate a new model in the game? if people want to see him in it i think it would be better then making a clone.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
The topic of the conversation was trophies but he used actual characters as an example of borrowing game assets, slipping up in the process and mentioning an unconfirmed one.

The 35char roster is real guys, time to face reality...
:bigthumbu Way to take it out of context. He was talking about trophies. It applies to trophies. >_>

Zek

Smash Ace
:bigthumbu Way to take it out of context. He was talking about trophies. It applies to trophies. >_>
He says "Smash Bros characters." And he mentions WW along with a series that does have a playable character. What more do you want?

schlepboogie

Smash Apprentice
Didn't he JUST SAY it was hard to make them playable? Do you people just TRY to not listen?

And no, R.O.B. is not magically harder to make playable because Animal Crossing isn't, whoever said that that I'm too lazy to quote.

let me rephrase that.
silent villagers with axes against a plastic toy robot. Which makes the cut?

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
He says "Smash Bros characters." And he mentions WW along with a series that does have a playable character. What more do you want?
He...is...talking...about...trophies.

I'm not saying WW Link isn't in, but this is far from a confirmation. Sakurai is talking about trophies. He's talking about trophies. They're talking about trophies. The section is about TROPHIES. Need I say more? Trophies.

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, I read it, but I don't buy it.

Sakurai has accomplished so many creative things in this series, but he can't include one series? Frankly, I could come up with a moveset for an AC character far easier than I could have for the Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, or Peach. I also think that Olimar and the PT's movesets are far more creative than anything I could come up with for an AC character.

I'm just having a hard time believing that the person who came up with Kirby's Air Ride, the challenge system, a way to build a completely unique adventure mode, a Pictochat stage, a way to make Wario Ware work as a stage, and the general concept of shifting stages saw Animal Crossing and said "DUH-UR NO KNOW HOW TO MAKE WORK! NO UZE!".

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
You know what, I really did not, still do not want an AC villager as a character. I think they're ugly. I don't like how they look, and I think we have enough tiny kids with over-sized heads (we can thank the Mother series for that)

But you know what, if Sakurai says that a AC character doesn't have a potential moveset, I don't see how a ****ing R.O.B. toy could have a moveset either (this is of course if the 35-roster proves true)

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai has accomplished so many creative things in this series, but he can't include one series? Frankly, I could come up with a moveset for an AC character far easier than I could have for the Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, or Peach. I also think that Olimar and the PT's movesets are far more creative than anything I could come up with for an AC character.

I'm just having a hard time believing that the person who came up with Kirby's Air Ride, the challenge system, a way to build a completely unique adventure mode, a Pictochat stage, a way to make Wario Ware work as a stage, and the general concept of shifting stages saw Animal Crossing and said "DUH-UR NO KNOW HOW TO MAKE WORK! NO UZE!".
Ha ha I completely agree with you!

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
"Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles."

How does that say anything but PC

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Now we're just stretching it farther than *is pulled aside by the FCC*

I don't disagree. I've thought from day 1 that Sakurai's a glorious troll and that he's going to screw up in some way.

That or he thought it was TOO corny to own people with bees and fishing poles.

Albeit I think we can all agree it's better than sex.

Smash Apprentice
I dunno about him, but I want you to stop connecting unrelated things.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Now we're just stretching it farther than *is pulled aside by the FFC*

I don't disagree. I've thought from day 1 that Sakurai's a glorious troll and that he's going to screw up in some way.

That or he thought it was TOO corny to own people with bees and fishing poles.

Albeit I think we can all agree it's better than sex.
Just hypothetically... a move that involves throwing a leaf at someone that in mid-throw turns into a random piece furniture that collides with enemies (fridge, couch, a painting, those "oid" things) would be so awesome...

Smash Apprentice
Clearly not the silent villagers with axes.

/rimshot
That'd be like saying a woman with turnips, a frying pan, an umbrella, a tennis racket, and a golf club could ever be in Brawl. RIDICULOUS!!!

Smash Apprentice
Just hypothetically... a move that involves throwing a leaf at someone that in mid-throw turns into a random piece furniture that collides with enemies (fridge, couch, a painting, those "oid" things) would be so awesome...
It's like you're reading my mind.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Hmm, even though it looks bad.....sakurai is capable of telling lies or not telling the whole truth(half-truths)
Of course Sakurai is capable of lying; he's human, after all. But exactly what reason would he have to lie about there not being a playable AC rep? He doesn't benefit in any way from lying about that. It's not as if an AC character would be a revelation of Sonic-caliber, anyway. There's literally no reason for him to be dishonest about this... he would've had more reason to lie about Sonic and even Snake not being in the game (imagine the shock players would've had if we were outright told by Sakurai himself that Brawl would not feature third-party characters, only to unlock those two once it was actually released).

Anyway, now you're just stepping onto tin-foil hat territory. I know you're not claiming that he's lying, but even suggesting it seems too much like cries of, "NO! LEAVE ANIMAL CROSSER ALONE!" to me. If you're going to offer a lie on Sakurai's behalf as a possible explanation for this, why take *anything* he tells and shows us about the game as being true? Why would he stop there? For all we know, the Pikmin & Olimar and Sheik updates could've been photoshopped (in the case of the videos, edited). Melee Stages? Nothing more than an elaborate prank. Subspace Emissary? More like "Doesn't-even-exist-ha-ha-we-sure-fooled-you-all." That can't be too unfathomable, right? He even admitted that he likes playing jokes in the interview!

But yeah it looks rather dismal for the animal crosser, but remember what happened last time when people took sakurais words as the truth? (up until now) I know it was a translation error but I'm not going to be too sure of anything until I see that final roster.
This situation and the Ness situation are in no way comparable. The Ness situation arised because people were so idiotically adamant on insisting that Ness was not going to return because "Sakurai even said so." These morons refused to accept the fact that there were multiple ways to interpret the quote that supposedly confirmed Ness' exclusion - and it just so happened that "Ness has been a character in the SSB series thus far" was the correct interpretation. Short of fooling yourself into believing otherwise, there is no way to read Sakurai's statements in the interview as anything other than, "There is no AC character, period." I'm definitely against making hasty, unfounded conclusions, but this is far from being that. Sorry, but it's pretty clear this time.

Zek

Smash Ace
He...is...talking...about...trophies.

I'm not saying WW Link isn't in, but this is far from a confirmation. Sakurai is talking about trophies. He's talking about trophies. They're talking about trophies. The section is about TROPHIES. Need I say more? Trophies.
I don't think it's a hard confirmation either but if we assume that the translation is accurate then it seems very likely that he's talking about playable characters. Do you understand that it's possible for people to go off on tangents during a conversation? They were discussing how much work it was to model trophies for the game. Sakurai then said that it was easier for Brawl because they were able to borrow resources from other developers. As an example of borrowing resources from other developers, he mentions the use of WW and TP assets for creating "Smash Bros characters." This line especially:

"We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles."

"Design" doesn't sound like a word you would use to describe the process of copying a model from a game and tossing it into Brawl as a simple trophy.

Top Bottom